Woman Mauled To Death By 3 Pit Bull Terriers, 3 Wounded

george

37-year-old woman mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers

pit_bull_terrier.jpg

Pit Bull Terrier. -- Stock photo

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A woman was mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers, which also injured her three relatives and killed another local dog, police said.

Police said Raksina Techawatanabamrungkij, 37, was killed late Friday night after she released the three pit bull terriers from the cage into the compound of her family's rice mill.

Her mother-in-law, Charoensri Lorlertrat, 53, her daughter, Thaweephan Lorlertrat, 20 months, and her brother-in-law, Satit Lorlertrat, 33, were injured by the dogs.

Charoensri told police that Raksina left the house to release the terriers from their cage at about midnight but she did not come back inside, prompting her daughter to cry.

Charoensri came out to look for her and found her badly-mauled body along with a local pet dog of the family.

The pit bull terriers then turned to attack Charoensri and her granddaughter. She cried for help and when her son came out to help, he was also attacked.

Eventually, Charoensri's husband, Seksuek Lorlertrat, came out to help and shot two terriers dead while the other one escaped.

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

Pitbulls were never bred to attack humans the were bred for dog fights and are one of the most loving breeds towards humans. You get far more attacks by golden retrievers, german shepards and rottweilers.

Besides beeing locked up in cages, starving from malnutrition and lack of socializing them, the owners are soley to blame. Thais are famous for abusing their pets...

post-76038-1238908156_thumb.jpg

post-76038-1238908169_thumb.jpg

post-76038-1238908197_thumb.jpg

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the best thing that could happen is to find some sharp object and try to kill it, that is IF it were attacking and there was no way out of the confrontation of course. I love dogs... I just hate/fear vicious ones.

No need to kill the dog or any other living being.

Just carry always at hand distance a "pepper spray".

These devices can be obtained at most markets for 100 Baht and are very effective.

I also carry with me a "zapper" (high voltage device, don't remeber the exact name).

These 2 devces combined are far more effective that trying to kill anything and are FULLY LEGAL when used to defend yourself.

I am very sad for the loss that this family suffered. It was entirely preventable.

I own pitbulls in Thailand and have for many years. The dogs are ALWAYS either chained up or on leash or sleep on my bed, even though I live on fenced property with barbed wire - not to keep people out, but to keep the dogs in. I use them as guard dogs and they are very effective (although there are better). They have undergone months of professional training, but I still would not trust my boys for one second. Ever.

They are dangerous dogs and can be very unpredictable. They are also very smart, escape artists and can be extremely aggressive towards other dogs.

But who decided these dogs that attacked were pitbulls? I'm not saying they weren't, but all too often the term "pitbull" is used because it's convenient. Very few so called "pitbulls" in Thailand would be consider pitbulls elsewhere. They are often interbred with other dogs on the street, or just mongrels.

Pitbulls were bred to fight in the pit - hence the name. In the pit when they fight are 2 handlers. Pitbulls were not bred to attack people and a well bred pitbull is good with people, but very bad with other dogs - especially other male dogs. Any pitbull that shows aggression to people, or has been trained that way, I'm sorry to say, should be put down immediately. Thuglife is almost 100% responsible for promoting the tough, aggressive pitbull as a status symbol - kind of the same way a revolver stuck in a waistband.

My observation in Thailand is that pitbulls are not given the respect that they deserve. The can be bought at Chatuchuk market where they are beautiful puppies. Somchai buys one and its great for 6 months, plays with the kids and other dogs, is never fenced. One day it will reach a point where he wants to be the alpha male - and he will snap - and Somchai will laugh as his dog is the toughest in the soi, and its all the dogs fault when it bites the face of his 3 year old daughter.

Pitbulls need very strict regulation, as do all dangerous breeds. Just like a gun, pitbulls should be licensed and Owner and his house checked for suitability and the dogs need to be trained.

I can understand the outrage of people who continually see the results of "pitbull" attacks. Supporters of pitbulls keep spouting the same lines of "its the owners fault" or "all dogs can be dangerous". Fact is, pitbulls are potentially very, very dangerous dogs and should be strictly regulated and Owners held responsible for the dogs behavior.

This will be my last pitbulls. They are a stressful dog to own and while my boys are great dogs with me and have never once showed any signs of aggression to me or my family, I can't say it enough, these dogs can never be trusted for even a moment.

Stressful sounds like an understatement! Thank you for a measured and realistic post from which I gather that given your current experience you would choose a different breed of dog if you were starting over - living in fortified dog enclosure surrounded by razor wire sounds like a high price to pay for looking after any animal, let alone one that you "can't trust for a second".

Of course your situation is the result of taking the proper precautions with this type of dog and involves compromises and discipline that most owners are not prepared to subject themselves to, sometimes leading to the kind of result that the news article described. Even then, it's like keeping a gun with a hair trigger around the house - an invitation to an accident and it beats me why anyone would want to do that. May I ask what prompted you to get these dogs in the first place, given their reputation?

Pitbulls were never bred to attack humans the were bred for dog fights and are one of the most loving breeds towards humans. You get far more attacks by golden retrievers, german shepards and rottweilers.

Besides beeing locked up in cages, starving from malnutrition and lack of socializing them, the owners are soley to blame. Thais are famous for abusing their pets...

Can you imagine that pretty much ALL of the families that had their child killed by their own family pit bull type of dog have (had) exactly the same type of pictures you just posted?

Don't you find it awkward, that ALL of them have said the same as you, except with the word WAS in the sentence?

Their dog WAS a lovely dog. They did not expect their pit bull to launch off the sofa and kill the 10 year old son just because he was running with his brother through the house.

As someone said, these dogs are like liars... they seem to be your best friend, until you find out differently. I hope for you and your family that you will never experience this day, I would have no fun saying "told you so".

Looking at the statistics again: http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-fatalities-2008.htm

1. "23 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2008. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 65% (15). Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the U.S. dog population"

2. "78% of the attacks occurred on owner property and 22% off owner property. ALL off property attacks that resulted in death were attributed to pit bulls."

just add up the facts, and you will have to realize that you live with a potential killer.

Edited by jbhh

I'm fairly shaken now by reading all these horror stories.

Are there any suggestions how to confront a pit bull or any other attacking dog than to bite its nose?

How should someone react to fend them off or to get away?

Both barrels of a shotgun,and dont hesitate,. !

I’m fairly shaken now by reading all these horror stories.

Are there any suggestions how to confront a pit bull or any other attacking dog than to bite its nose?

How should someone react to fend them off or to get away?

jbhh - is quite right - there is no way to stop these evil creatures short of deadly force.

I remember a case in the UK of a pit bull that locked its teeth on a police officers arm. The dog was wearing a metal chain so the policeman very calmly asked someone near, to hand him a nearby stout stick. With this he applied a tourniquet to the dogs throat and twisted the chain with all his strength.

The dog died of asphixiation rather than let go.

This is not unusual. When these dogs lock onto you - they do just that - lock their jaws. They die with their jaws still locked - contrary to what some idiots like zorro66 think this what centuries of breeding has taught them to do.

Yeah - American Pitbulls - no more dangerous than a pussy cat really - just misunderstood - jeez.

You'll probably change your mind when your dog rips your kids to shreads.

Edited by slim

SORRY, BUT THAT BEHAVIOR IS NOT STEREOTYPICAL OF ANY BREED. THE OWNERS AND WHOEVER TRAINED THESE DOGS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE. PERIOD!

We should all do a little research before we post here. All current purebred 'dog' breeds (excluding utter mutts) have been selectively bred over decades/centuries to favor particular traits (traits that humans have found useful in some way). Pitbull Terriers are no different in this regard. This being so, a sort of 'Frankensteinian' case can be made against Pitbull Terriers as a naturally (genetically predisposed) dangerous breed. Of course, most dog breeds can be dangerous to humans, since all dogs have evolved from a limited number of wild 'wolf' breeds over the past 15,000 years. These creatures have evolved a set of survival 'tools' which make them inherently dangerous to humans. These same tools, under domestication, have proven to be very useful extensions of human power.

So, contrary to the opinion above, 'yes', dog breeds do in fact exhibit what we could term 'stereotypical' behavior. After all, without stereotypes it would be impossible for us to make sense of the immensely complicated world we inhabit.

Legally however, Oilman is not far off in suggesting that the owner should be fully responsible for his pet (tool). In most parts of the world, a pet is 'property'. In this sense, a person should be as responsible for the behavior of her dog as she would the effects of her automobile or firearm.

See more about selective breeding of dogs at dogbreedinginformation.net or 'selective breeding' in general at wikipedia.

37-year-old woman mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers

pit_bull_terrier.jpg

Pit Bull Terrier. -- Stock photo

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A woman was mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers, which also injured her three relatives and killed another local dog, police said.

Police said Raksina Techawatanabamrungkij, 37, was killed late Friday night after she released the three pit bull terriers from the cage into the compound of her family's rice mill.

Her mother-in-law, Charoensri Lorlertrat, 53, her daughter, Thaweephan Lorlertrat, 20 months, and her brother-in-law, Satit Lorlertrat, 33, were injured by the dogs.

Charoensri told police that Raksina left the house to release the terriers from their cage at about midnight but she did not come back inside, prompting her daughter to cry.

Charoensri came out to look for her and found her badly-mauled body along with a local pet dog of the family.

The pit bull terriers then turned to attack Charoensri and her granddaughter. She cried for help and when her son came out to help, he was also attacked.

Eventually, Charoensri's husband, Seksuek Lorlertrat, came out to help and shot two terriers dead while the other one escaped.

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

Whilst i agree that owners are in most cases are indeed the cause of the problems, i most definatly would not take a chance on owning one of these dogs as a parent and find the photos very scary,. lets pray you are never posing a sad tale on this forum,.

In Switzerland you'll need to complete a dog training with your dog, regardless of the breed. Pitbulls (and other so called 'dangerous dogs') have made it to the discussion round many times. There were talks about a ban for those 'dangerous breeds', but it has come to the understanding that in most cases the 'problem' is on the other end of the line: the dog owner.

Most likely these rules will get tightened and owners of selected breeds will need additional special training with their dogs.

Probably the best thing that could happen is to find some sharp object and try to kill it, that is IF it were attacking and there was no way out of the confrontation of course. I love dogs... I just hate/fear vicious ones.

These devices can be obtained at most markets for 100 Baht and are very effective.

I also carry with me a "zapper" (high voltage device, don't remeber the exact name).

These 2 devces combined are far more effective that trying to kill anything and are FULLY LEGAL when used to defend yourself.

Obiously you did not read the BOLD text in my post, I read news where POLICE was using PEPPER SPRAY and TASERS to try and get pit bulls to stop biting a person, IT DID NOT SUCCEED!!! They even reported, it just made them more angry.

You may scare off a Thai soi dog with it, but not a fighting dog in attack mode.

A friend of mine had a Staffordshire, he used to make it jump up and bite into a swing that was made of an old car tire, it would lock it's jaws and hang there for HOURS! I am not joking and not exaggerating.

Edited by jbhh

In New Zealand people are prosecuted and even sent to jail for dog attacks. They are solely responsible for their actions.

http://nziaco.co.nz/main.php?id=65

Here in Thailand I take people to hospital weekly with dog bites. I once tried to inform the local council and they were not interested. And obviously, as usual, the local police were not interested either. I have given up trying to get anything done by the authorities.

There are dogs all over BKK terrorizing people but nothing is ever done. Amazingly people call my group daily to catch harmless snakes(non-poisonous) and other animals, but never dogs! They seem to have a revered place in Thai society.

I have it from Thai friends that they believe dogs, and soi dogs in particular, are the reborn souls of monks who were bad in their last lives...and who in Thailand would hurt a monk?? :o

Thats pretty interesting, although not suprising.... thanks for the info. I always wanted to know what they think about soi dogs and why they protect them so much.

So you googled pitbull and thats the best you could come up with........ My aunts had 4 pitbulls and has never had them turn on her.

You obviously know nothing about breeding and dog breeds. And, not only that but you have the gaul to call someone an idiot who believes otherwise.

So, your aunt has had 4 pitbulls that never attacked anyone... good for her. She's been lucky, but not smart. Her dogs not attacking anyone does NOT mean the breed is not dangerous. That is like saying a live cobra is not dangerous. Not all cobras bite humans... but some do.

Dogs have been bred for specific purposes for hundreds of years. You can't stop a hunting breed from hunting. It is in the nature for retrievers to swim and retrieve things. You can't keep a labrador out of the water. Pointers will point birds whether you like it or not. Terriers are scrappy little dogs that will kill rats and other rodents without being taught. It is in the nature of sheep dogs to herd animals. They will even herd a group of children if there is nothing else to herd. Cats do not have to be taught to kill birds and rodents. They just do it naturally. And, pitbulls naturally want to attack. Certainly there are many pitbulls that are docile, but as a breed they were taught to fight to the death and kill other animals. They can NEVER be trusted no matter how good the owner might be. As a guard dog they are a poor breed. There are far better breeds for that purpose. Guard dogs need to be smart. Pitbulls are dumb as a post and very dangerous.

There are many dog breeds that will bite someone... once, but very few will attack with the intention of killing whatever it is they attack. I've been bitten by many dogs, but it was only a pitbull that I had to strangle to death. It was attached to my leg and wouldn't let go. I still have the scars today. But, I'm still not afraid of dogs and I actually like most of them... just not pitbulls.

I've been warned not to call the idiots, well,,, idiots. Like I said before people who have never had an on going interaction with the breed should keep their mouth shut. congrats on strangling a pit to death. Must have been been a small puppy :o

Just some friendly advise: The zapper is considered equivilent to a gun in Thai law and you will be jailed if caught with one (Yes, Despite them being sold in public in front of the police)

The pepper spray is also a jailable offence. Be prepared to pay a hefty bribe or do some jail time if caught with one!

So you googled pitbull and thats the best you could come up with........ My aunts had 4 pitbulls and has never had them turn on her.

You obviously know nothing about breeding and dog breeds. And, not only that but you have the gaul to call someone an idiot who believes otherwise.

So, your aunt has had 4 pitbulls that never attacked anyone... good for her. She's been lucky, but not smart. Her dogs not attacking anyone does NOT mean the breed is not dangerous. That is like saying a live cobra is not dangerous. Not all cobras bite humans... but some do.

Dogs have been bred for specific purposes for hundreds of years. You can't stop a hunting breed from hunting. It is in the nature for retrievers to swim and retrieve things. You can't keep a labrador out of the water. Pointers will point birds whether you like it or not. Terriers are scrappy little dogs that will kill rats and other rodents without being taught. It is in the nature of sheep dogs to herd animals. They will even herd a group of children if there is nothing else to herd. Cats do not have to be taught to kill birds and rodents. They just do it naturally. And, pitbulls naturally want to attack. Certainly there are many pitbulls that are docile, but as a breed they were taught to fight to the death and kill other animals. They can NEVER be trusted no matter how good the owner might be. As a guard dog they are a poor breed. There are far better breeds for that purpose. Guard dogs need to be smart. Pitbulls are dumb as a post and very dangerous.

There are many dog breeds that will bite someone... once, but very few will attack with the intention of killing whatever it is they attack. I've been bitten by many dogs, but it was only a pitbull that I had to strangle to death. It was attached to my leg and wouldn't let go. I still have the scars today. But, I'm still not afraid of dogs and I actually like most of them... just not pitbulls.

I've been warned not to call the idiots, well,,, idiots. Like I said before people who have never had an on going interaction with the breed should keep their mouth shut. congrats on strangling a pit to death. Must have been been a small puppy :o

agreed, a pit is way to powerful to be able to hold it with bare arms, it will twist and rip you apart.

Why would anyone want to keep such dangerous animals?

Breeds such as Pitbulls, Dobermanns, Bull Terriers, German Shepards, Rottweilers are powerful dogs and require specialist handling.

Back in England, Pitbulls are considered dogs for the dregs, to show how mancho their owners are. Lots of them are the desired breed of tenants on council estates in the UK and by trailer park trash in the States.

The fact is that however much the owners try and defend these breeds by saying it`s all down to how the owners train them, any breed of dog can turn and should never be 100% trusted, especially in the company of young children. The more powerful the dog, the more chance of being severely injured or even killed if the dog turned nasty.

Only a complete raving psycho would justify keeping these dangerous Pitbulls as pets or even as guard dogs, which if escaped may become a serious risk to the public.

There can be no excuses for keeping Pitbulls and the breed should be eradicated altogether.

post-11344-1238910859_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

Its not only Pitbul's, people like to forget that a dog is an animal and humanize it. Even the so-called child friendly dog's are an potential danger, certainly towards children, Therefore it should be a golden rule never let a child unattended with a dog, how small of big the dog is. Because every year numerous children are killed by dog's.

Edited by henryalleman

OK, In response to peoples reactions at my harsh criticism I would like to add fule to the fire.

1) Pitties are dangerous IF not trained well

2) Pitties will defend your property with lethal force

3)Pitties must be supervised if in groups

Keep these things in mind and nobody will die.... remember number 1 is crucial !

agreed, a pit is way to powerful to be able to hold it with bare arms, it will twist and rip you apart.

I have a full grown 38kg APBT I have had to put him on his back a couple of times when he got mad with the soi dogs and the dog from up the road that keeps running round the moo bhan barking at the gates of all the other dogs that are not just let out for the day. once there he relaxes and calms down almost straight away. Its about knowing what to do. But like said above I would never try to grab him by the throat. Like anything living they take offence at being grabbed by the throat and they will fight back.

That is shocking news. RIP to the poor woman

Stereotypical for the breed.

I feel sorry for the situation. RIP.

I also feel sorry for the persons who will say that it is stereotypical for the breed. We don't read about the

conditions the dogs were hold or what so ever. Sure it can be killing machines, that's a part of the breed. Compare it that you give a 9mm automatic to a 9 year old. It's also how the people care there dogs.

Pitt bull have no anger with Humans they are lousy guard dogs. But yes keep a dog in a cage all day and then train it to attack people well then blame yourself. I feel sorry for the women off course but it would be better to keep them as pets they will help more. Just keeping them in cages will make them angry and want to attack everything including fam. If they belong to the fam and know the rank they wont.

German S , Rott , any mastiff or doberman is better as a guard dogs since they really guard. Also the Thai dog is very good.

Last pitt bull is trained to attack other dogs and bulls you do not keep another dog with pitt bulls end of story.

Pitbull Attacks & Ravages Entire Family

BRAZIL: A pitbull attacked a 4-year-old girl when she stepped on his paw and the dog attacked her, her grandparents tried to defend her and they were also attacked. Cops shot the dog dead.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bfb_1234084031&c=1

Lawsuit filed in poodle attack

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_396850.html

That is shocking news. RIP to the poor woman

Stereotypical for the breed.

I feel sorry for the situation. RIP.

I also feel sorry for the persons who will say that it is stereotypical for the breed. We don't read about the

conditions the dogs were hold or what so ever. Sure it can be killing machines, that's a part of the breed. Compare it that you give a 9mm automatic to a 9 year old. It's also how the people care there dogs.

I agree with you, the news said she went to let them out of the cage... that tells you about how much love these dogs must have gotten - none. A friend of mine had a Staffordshire and a German Sheppard, they were best buddies all their lives, and never bit a person. However, I don't think fighting dogs should be held as pets - even better would be if they not even exist, there are enough beautiful and nice dog breeds to choose from, and even the "perfect family dog" the Labrador retriever can be trained as a guard/attack dog, so if there is a need to have such a dog, there is enough breeds to choose from in my opinion. It is a fact that the pit bull and all it's relatives (stafforshire, mastiff,etc) were bred/created for fighting, so only the most vicious were allowed to reproduce... thanks to the way genes work there will always be the non-vicious one, but the majority will inherit the genes of their ancestors, it's a real gamble inviting these breeds into you family.

Btw, the German Sheppard was bred to guard and control sheep, to do so it bites the sheep so they obey. It is therefor not surprising that people get bitten sometimes, however a Sheppard doesn't bite to kill and it let's go (unless trained to submit the person of course :o ).

Edited by jbhh

All dogs have the potential to attack, injure or kill, certain breeds can cause more damage than others but to try and ban certain breeds DOES NOT WORK.

I'd be interested in knowing what type of pitbull these were (rednose do tend to be more aggressive, and even I would be wary of owning one), or even if these were real AMPT or a mixed breed that is being labelled PITBULL.

Stressful sounds like an understatement! Thank you for a measured and realistic post from which I gather that given your current experience you would choose a different breed of dog if you were starting over - living in fortified dog enclosure surrounded by razor wire sounds like a high price to pay for looking after any animal, let alone one that you "can't trust for a second".

Of course your situation is the result of taking the proper precautions with this type of dog and involves compromises and discipline that most owners are not prepared to subject themselves to, sometimes leading to the kind of result that the news article described. Even then, it's like keeping a gun with a hair trigger around the house - an invitation to an accident and it beats me why anyone would want to do that. May I ask what prompted you to get these dogs in the first place, given their reputation?

Greenside, the reason I got pitbulls evolved from having Bull Terriers - both of who died as the result of Cobra bites. Then, while searching for a reputable Bull Terrier breeded in Thailand(I didn't know Khun Or at that stage), I met a pitbull breeder and trainer and liked his dogs. I got my first female pitbull from his next litter and she was the ideal dog.

The trainer called me one day and asked if I wanted a 2-year, fully trained male. I didn't, but I went to see him anyway and ended up taking him home as he was likely going to be put down if no-one adopted him. He is a great dog, but snores too much and hogs the pillow. He's a big boy at about 90lbs.

Pitbulls are not a good choice of dog for anyone. They are simply too dangerous and unpredicatble. You can not relax for a second when people are around the dogs and having seen what my dog has done to other dogs that came too close, I know that if my boy got hold of anyone, there is probably little I could do, short of killing my dog, which I would do in a heartbeat if he attacked someone. Who wants to live like that? And who wants to see a dog locked up in a small cage all day?

BTW, pitbulls do not "lock" their jaws. Common misconception as they are just so strong, you cant pry their jaws open.

But I will take care of my dogs until they die of old age. I owe them that much as they have truly been exceptional dogs and give me a lot of affection and loyalty.

My next dogs will be Bull Terriers again. They were wonderful dogs. Not the sharpest of dogs, but a joy to have around. Safe, strong, reliable and sound.

But never, ever leave children unattended with Bull Terriers. The outcome could be disastrous.

post-21832-1238912839_thumb.jpg

Pitbull Attacks & Ravages Entire Family

BRAZIL: A pitbull attacked a 4-year-old girl when she stepped on his paw and the dog attacked her, her grandparents tried to defend her and they were also attacked. Cops shot the dog dead.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bfb_1234084031&c=1

Lawsuit filed in poodle attack

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_396850.html

Yeah, poodles are known to bite... difference here is - I have yet to hear that someone EVER got killed by a poodle. The dog with the most recorded bites ever in Germany is the "Spitz", it's a tiny dog that has the nickname "ankle biter", go figure :o

btw 1st news is from February this year, 2nd from 2005 - the poodle attack took place in 2002, the settlement was in 2006 with over $17,000 awarded to the kid that got bitten.

Edited by jbhh

Every last one of that mongrel breed should be put down. And the owners who hid their dogs should be held in a police cell till they fess up. Now one more kid in the world is without a mother.