Retirement visas (new changes or lack thereof)

I would like to start a new post about RETIREMENT VISA details, in relation to changes that might be coming down the pike. I have a few specific questions, and I am sure others do, though they may not be answerable yet.

To get this started:

1. Is the 800K baht requirement going to stay at 800k baht in the forseeable future, or is it going to double, as has been rumored on this board? I think if they do double it, they are going to weed out an awful lot of people for no good reason, because it is very unproductive to tie up that amount of money in a bank. Yes, I know, you can move it out again, but in practical terms for many it would mean taking the financial hit of selling stocks or bonds when they don't want to,  just to show a large number in a bank account for a few weeks. But of course, it is their country.

2. Is it going to be an AND or an OR arrangement for the financial qualification? In other words, if you can show the 800K baht, you don't have to show income; or if you can show the required income, you don't have to show savings. Obviously for people living on investments and savings without a pension, if it is AND, that rules them out. I read awhile back that some immigration officers in some regions (Chiang Mai?) intrepret this as and AND situation, even though technically the current rule is an OR.

3. What is this business of having to provide a VALID REASON to be in Thailand? This sounds quite absurd. If you are going for a retirement visa, your reason is clearly to RETIRE in Thailand, and you clearly wish to do that. Does anyone know if this new VALID REASON rule is going to take effect, and if so, what are they looking for?

Thanks.

3. What is this business of having to provide a VALID REASON to be in Thailand? This sounds quite absurd. If you are going for a retirement visa, your reason is clearly to RETIRE in Thailand, and you clearly wish to do that. Does anyone know if this new VALID REASON rule is going to take effect, and if so, what are they looking for?

This is not something new.  At the moment, I'm looking at a document given to me in 2001 by Immigration in Bangkok with the requirements for a Retirement Visa.  One of the items says:

"7. Statement certifying the necessity of extension to stay."

I just renewed my Retirement Visa last week in Bangkok for another year.  On a form Immigration gave me to fill out, there was a request for the reason.  I entered "To continue my retirement in Thailand" and it was accepted.

To get this started:

2. Is it going to be an AND or an OR arrangement for the financial qualification? In other words, if you can show the 800K baht, you don't have to show income; or if you can show the required income, you don't have to show savings. Obviously for people living on investments and savings without a pension, if it is AND, that rules them out. I read awhile back that some immigration officers in some regions (Chiang Mai?) intrepret this as and AND situation, even though technically the current rule is an OR.

As I posted in another thread, the Thai official didn't actually say "AND".

He actually says OR. If you read it in Thai, It says "RUE" which means "OR".

Pretty big difference.

You will find that although the rules clearly state OR, that many immigration officials will NOT accept income only, and require you to show money in the bank also.

Thanks for the great  feedback.

As far as the valid reason, it is comforting to know that just stating that your valid reason is retirement (wow, the truth) ... works.

On the either/or financial question, it is interesting to know that sometimes if you have the required income, some officers still need to see a bank deposit. I am assuming you meant that these persons income was at least the FULL minimum income qualifier (65K baht/month?). Because, of course, a COMBINATON of income and savings that meets the TOTAL requirements is allowed.

The question that really concerns me personally is if people have had the experience with some officers of showing the FULL savings qualifying amount (800K baht) and then being denied extensions based on the fact that they could not show ANY income. In other words, persons living by periodically selling investments, rather than by pensions, etc. If so, does this tend to happen in some regions more than others? Specifically, does it happen in Chiang Mai?

Thanks!

Investments should be producing income of some sort.

You may need to provide a copy of what you have in investments and how much you make each year from them with a stamp on it from your brokerage firm (just take it to your embassy for another stamp).

If your account is with a internet do it yourself investment scheme this may be a little harder.

Anyways showing you do have more than just the 800G in the bank and you get interest from it should be good enough.

I obtained a retirement visa in CM back in July.

I first checked the rules with Brit Consulate and then went down immigration and spoke to a lady officer.

The rules are 800,000 B in Thai bank

or

65,000 B per month income verified by embassy consulate

or

800,000 B less the your monthly income times 12 as verified by your embassy consulate.

I checked rules on Monday morning had money sent from UK bank and by 12.00 Friday was having a drink with the visa in my passport.

Immigration where most helpful. I am now back in UK for my annual visit.

jon

With financial requirements for a new retirement visa ( married to a Thai national ) going up to 400.00Bt in a Thai bank, or 40,000Bt per month income . my question is this.. at the moment my monthly income is paid direct into my Uk bank account, and i use an ATM here in Thailand to withdraw out money as required. Would having my income paid into a Uk bank ( which i have statements every month ) possibily be accepted by Thai immigration as proof of an income ..?

my first retirement visa I applied for (   with a nonimmigration -O- visa )  on the grounds of being married to a Thai national, went like this .. I gave immigration 3 TM7 forms , 3 passport photos of my self, our original Thai marriage certificate,  our original house rental agreement, My wife's house registration book,her ID card, a letter from my Thai bank showing 200,000Bt in my account, my Thai bank account book, and copy's ( when I asked the immigration officer what sort of money i needed for a retirement visa , he asked me if I have a pension which at the time I did not have , so I said no, he then  asked me if I had 200,000Bt in my bank , which I had ) so he said thats ok. we then both sat at the immigration officers desk, he looked over the paper work ( my wife was not asked to sign any thing ) and he said some one will call  at our house to interview us. two day's later the officer telephoned to say he was on the way to our house, to do the interview , the same officer arrived ( this time no uniform ) he came in , sat down got out a large file, then asked us to sit   on the sofa as he wanted to take a photo of us together (he asked us no questions )  .   he then asked to speak to the owners of the houes we rent, we went in his pick up to the owners, here he asked them some questions, and asked for a photo copy of their ID's, he then took us both back to our house ( moaning about how much petrol cost's for his " NEW " pick up  ..hint,hint ) when he droped us of, his parting words were come to immigration in a weeks time to pick up the visa . 8 weeks later it was ready, and i have since found out its not a retirement visa ive been issued with but a support visa !!! I wonder if we will have to go through the same thing next time ..?

You applied for a support visa Okey, and that is what you got...you'd need 800,000 baht in the bank for a retirement visa, and your wife would not need to be part of the application process. If you can prove your income by a statement from source and certified by your Embassy that will meet requirements.