New Camera - Panasonic Dmc-tz7 Vs. Canon Powershot Tx1

I'm thinking of getting either the Panasonic DMC-TZ7:

DMC-TZ7-K_1ZoomA1001001A09A20A92549G00587.jpg

or the Canon PowerShot TX1:

canon_TX1_frontback.jpg

The Panasonic looks like a large compact digital camera that does movies, whereas the Canon looks like a movie camera that does pictures.

What I'm trying to find is a camera that does good close-ups ("super macro", less than 1 cm from the lens) and also does movies AND allows the optical zoom to function while recording the movie.

It is quite surprising how few cameras that do movies won't allow the zoom to change while the movie is being recorded.

Does anyone have either of these cameras, or any other that they think can do what I want.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jetty, out of those 2 i'd definately go for the new Panny. The TX1 has been out a couple of years+ now..

however, a better option for your needs could be this...

2864520971_5340e4a4f6_m.jpg

Canon Powershot SX1 IS

It ticks your boxes, has awesome macro, a whopping 20x zoom, shoots 1080i HD with zoom (opposed to TZ-7's 720p), records stereo sound.. I'm actually thinking of one myself (purely for the full 1080i HD video)

only been out a couple of months, slightly 'bigger' in hand than u may be used to (compacts ?) but i reckon its a winner.

here's a

of it

I'm thinking of getting either the Panasonic DMC-TZ7:

DMC-TZ7-K_1ZoomA1001001A09A20A92549G00587.jpg

or the Canon PowerShot TX1:

canon_TX1_frontback.jpg

The Panasonic looks like a large compact digital camera that does movies, whereas the Canon looks like a movie camera that does pictures.

What I'm trying to find is a camera that does good close-ups ("super macro", less than 1 cm from the lens) and also does movies AND allows the optical zoom to function while recording the movie.

It is quite surprising how few cameras that do movies won't allow the zoom to change while the movie is being recorded.

Does anyone have either of these cameras, or any other that they think can do what I want.

Thanks for any suggestions.

IMHO the best source for getting some detailed in-depth review/information is this site: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Jetty, out of those 2 i'd definately go for the new Panny. The TX1 has been out a couple of years+ now..

Canon Powershot SX1 IS

It ticks your boxes, has awesome macro, a whopping 20x zoom, shoots 1080i HD with zoom (opposed to TZ-7's 720p), records stereo sound.. I'm actually thinking of one myself (purely for the full 1080i HD video)

only been out a couple of months, slightly 'bigger' in hand than u may be used to (compacts ?) but i reckon its a winner.

here's a

of it

Wow! What a camera! Hmm... OK thinking hard now! Thanks for the links.

PS. re. the TX1 - lots of people are waiting to see if there's going to be a TX2, but no news yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't recommend the TX1, it has some major lens flare issues in bright light. I've used the SX1 IS but only for stills. A friend has it so I can shoot some video if u want a sample clip.

Thanks for the info about the TX1. I really like the look of it and it's nice and small.

About the SX1 IS - that's a very kind offer, but there's really no need - I'm quite happy to read reviews and watch the videos that they contain.

I did go to a shop today and ask about the SX1 IS - they didn't stock it and she said it cost "eleven thousand three hundred baht".

I said "Are you sure it's eleven thousand - I think it's a lot more."

She then checked the figures and started saying "Song meun pun..." :o

So I pointed out that that was 21,000 not 11,000! :D

Pity there's no legal way of holding her to the original price she quoted!

I couldn't recommend the TX1, it has some major lens flare issues in bright light. I've used the SX1 IS but only for stills. A friend has it so I can shoot some video if u want a sample clip.

Thanks for the info about the TX1. I really like the look of it and it's nice and small.

About the SX1 IS - that's a very kind offer, but there's really no need - I'm quite happy to read reviews and watch the videos that they contain.

I did go to a shop today and ask about the SX1 IS - they didn't stock it and she said it cost "eleven thousand three hundred baht".

I said "Are you sure it's eleven thousand - I think it's a lot more."

She then checked the figures and started saying "Song meun pun..." :o

So I pointed out that that was 21,000 not 11,000! :D

Pity there's no legal way of holding her to the original price she quoted!

that would have been a bargain :D

i was also planning to get a new cam and thought about the tz7...unfortunately i don´t know the price for that cam.

do you know what the tz7 would cost?

...i was also planning to get a new cam and thought about the tz7...unfortunately i don´t know the price for that cam.

I haven't seen that one yet, either. I have the TZ3 and it was 17,990 nearly two years ago. I remember being really, really pissed off that you couldn't zoom while taking a video. (Funny how they don't mention what features you can't use in all modes :o ) The new one you can, although some reports say the auto-focus is very slow.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TZ7 is about the same cost, maybe slightly less.

...i was also planning to get a new cam and thought about the tz7...unfortunately i don´t know the price for that cam.

I haven't seen that one yet, either. I have the TZ3 and it was 17,990 nearly two years ago. I remember being really, really pissed off that you couldn't zoom while taking a video. (Funny how they don't mention what features you can't use in all modes :o ) The new one you can, although some reports say the auto-focus is very slow.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TZ7 is about the same cost, maybe slightly less.

i do also think that it is in that price range....

tried the cam a couple of times here in germany and must say that the autofocus is a bit lacky, but for that you have a better wide angle lens and more zoom than the previous model.

i really like what they stuffed into that cam. even though i am a fan of dslr´s and haven´t been using regular digicams for years now.

i think the tz7 got me back to normal digicams a bit :D

normally i don´t record videos, because the quality you get isn´t worth to run around with the device, but the tz7 does a hel_l of a job when it comes to video recording in the digicam-class.

a well done hybrid cam that gets better and better when rolling out their new models, even when the differences are getting slightier...but better! :D

for getting the same or a little bit better than the tz7, you also have to be ready to pay more. not to mention that "better" cams are bigger and just on one side better and on the other side loose some points on some specifications.

i heard that the tz7 uses a different battery, so you can´t use your old ones from the tz3. if that´s true it´s no big deal, because the new ones have longer battery time...

and the dimension compared to the tz3 did shrink a little bit.

still one question: when will the prices for sdhc cards drop? a bitter taste when on the road and wanting to film some scenery and stuff and you don´t want to use the crappiest video quality.

maybe the cards are cheap in th, bu i can just talk for germany or the moment, cause i am still in the gilded cage :D

Edited by atelko

I did go to a shop today and ask about the SX1 IS

Jetset, might be worth holding off for a couple months until this is released or more news comes available....

GH1k_slant.jpg

the Panasonic Lumix DMC GH1

here's a link to a

of it.

its in the new 'micro four thirds' format, looks interesting...

The TZ7 is one of the new breed of cameras that records in high definition, albeit in a reduced size. The format is called AVCHD Lite and it records HD at 1280x720.

I have just picked up the FT1 which is the waterproof version, and the quality of the video is gorgeous. Oh, and you can zoom while recording too. I bought the camera to make watersport videos so haven't really checked the still images, but Panasonic have a good reputation, particularly with the LX3.

If you are looking for a camera to do movies, AVCHD Lite capable models may give you the best quality video.

The TZ7 is one of the new breed of cameras that records in high definition, albeit in a reduced size. The format is called AVCHD Lite and it records HD at 1280x720.

I have just picked up the FT1 which is the waterproof version, and the quality of the video is gorgeous. Oh, and you can zoom while recording too. I bought the camera to make watersport videos so haven't really checked the still images, but Panasonic have a good reputation, particularly with the LX3.

If you are looking for a camera to do movies, AVCHD Lite capable models may give you the best quality video.

yes the AVCHD format makes it possible to record in very good quality. but it also depends on which converter you are using.

I have seen vids that were recorded in AVCHD with a bald quality that did not remember in HD at all and I have seen vids that were recorded with exactly the same camera and rec. options and they were stunning.

Canon Powershot SX1 IS

here's a

of it

Wow! What a camera! Hmm... OK thinking hard now! Thanks for the links.

PS. re. the TX1 - lots of people are waiting to see if there's going to be a TX2, but no news yet.

I bought a Canon in January this year, more than pleased with it. (Canon Powershot SX110 IS).

Mine only has 10X zoom though. I find it shoots well on full zoom even if hand held. Great anti-wobble thingy. (sceadugenga is fully conversant with the technical language of cameras).

The only thing I'd like that it hasn't got is a view finder.

Here's a pic I took last month on full zoom, hand held.

post-38081-1240228274_thumb.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga

Moving to the photography forum :D

Thanks Jockstar! I didn't realise or had forgotten that there was a Photography forum! Doh! :o

I also didn't realise people have been replying here - seems like the "topic notification emails" don't follow the thread after it has been moved. Anyway, no problems - but what a great forum!

Can you do me a favour and move my other camera related topic to here as well. I posted it in the Computer forum - this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camcorder-Re...ns-t260896.html -

Much appreciated!

Moving to the photography forum :wai:

Thanks Jockstar! I didn't realise or had forgotten that there was a Photography forum! Doh! :D

I also didn't realise people have been replying here - seems like the "topic notification emails" don't follow the thread after it has been moved. Anyway, no problems - but what a great forum!

Can you do me a favour and move my other camera related topic to here as well. I posted it in the Computer forum - this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camcorder-Re...ns-t260896.html -

Much appreciated!

May one ask, do you post your "Football" posts in the Ladies Fourm as well. :D

How Kan you forget me, shame on you, :P helping young lads like your good-self out in the Support Forum and all, with you and your 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' avatar, it does beg a questions or two :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :o

I did go to a shop today and ask about the SX1 IS

Jetset, might be worth holding off for a couple months until this is released or more news comes available....

GH1k_slant.jpg

the Panasonic Lumix DMC GH1

here's a link to a

of it.

its in the new 'micro four thirds' format, looks interesting...

Wow! That is a scarily professional looking camera - thanks for the link. I don't think I'd get much change out of 60,000 baht for that monster :o , but I'd love to have one.

Also I don't like buying new models, but maybe in the future.... :D

i do also think that it is in that price range....

tried the cam a couple of times here in germany and must say that the autofocus is a bit lacky, but for that you have a better wide angle lens and more zoom than the previous model.

i really like what they stuffed into that cam. even though i am a fan of dslr´s and haven´t been using regular digicams for years now.

i think the tz7 got me back to normal digicams a bit :D

normally i don´t record videos, because the quality you get isn´t worth to run around with the device, but the tz7 does a hel_l of a job when it comes to video recording in the digicam-class.

a well done hybrid cam that gets better and better when rolling out their new models, even when the differences are getting slightier...but better! :D

for getting the same or a little bit better than the tz7, you also have to be ready to pay more. not to mention that "better" cams are bigger and just on one side better and on the other side loose some points on some specifications.

i heard that the tz7 uses a different battery, so you can´t use your old ones from the tz3. if that´s true it´s no big deal, because the new ones have longer battery time...

and the dimension compared to the tz3 did shrink a little bit.

still one question: when will the prices for sdhc cards drop? a bitter taste when on the road and wanting to film some scenery and stuff and you don´t want to use the crappiest video quality.

maybe the cards are cheap in th, bu i can just talk for germany or the moment, cause i am still in the gilded cage :D

Thanks for your post - sorry to take so long replying but I think there's a bug in the forum software. I didn't get any emails about this thread after it was moved to the correct forum! So I'm playing "catch-up" now :D

I liked the TZ3 - apart from no zooming while videoing - but mine needs fixing now: the screen has gone blank after being intermittent for a while. I opened it up (I have good quality "watch makers screwdrivers") and found a very small thin ribbon cable had completely broken. This cable - which connects the screen to the camera body - is folded on itself and squashed flat, jammed between the screen and the camera body. It failed along the crease of the fold. I think that's a pretty poor design. But I suppose no camera is perfect. Everything else on the camera works, but I'm shooting blind!

I am starting to record videos more and more these days, so I'm now thinking of getting a good camcorder and basic "Super Macro" pocket digicam.

The problem I find with SDHC cards is that the ones you get with the camera as a "free special offer" are always the slow ones that the camera manufacturer doesn't recommend for best quality video recording. :o

Thanks for your post - sorry to take so long replying but I think there's a bug in the forum software. I didn't get any emails about this thread after it was moved to the correct forum! So I'm playing "catch-up" now :D

I liked the TZ3 - apart from no zooming while videoing - but mine needs fixing now: the screen has gone blank after being intermittent for a while. I opened it up (I have good quality "watch makers screwdrivers") and found a very small thin ribbon cable had completely broken. This cable - which connects the screen to the camera body - is folded on itself and squashed flat, jammed between the screen and the camera body. It failed along the crease of the fold. I think that's a pretty poor design. But I suppose no camera is perfect. Everything else on the camera works, but I'm shooting blind!

I am starting to record videos more and more these days, so I'm now thinking of getting a good camcorder and basic "Super Macro" pocket digicam.

The problem I find with SDHC cards is that the ones you get with the camera as a "free special offer" are always the slow ones that the camera manufacturer doesn't recommend for best quality video recording. :o

i tried the tz7 yesterday again and must say, if manual focus and focus itself is not interesting you and you want a good cam wih good video recording quality, then I would say go for the TZ7.

I am actually rethinking to buy another cam and not the TZ7. I don´t like how the focus reacts. Maybe I am curious when it comes to that, but I think it´s normal when using DSLR´s all the time an no compact digital cameras for years.

Now I am in a dead end zone...Pay double the price and get a Nikon D90 DSLR or the TZ7 with a Focus, that in my eyes, sucks a bit?

I bought a Canon in January this year, more than pleased with it. (Canon Powershot SX110 IS).

Mine only has 10X zoom though. I find it shoots well on full zoom even if hand held. Great anti-wobble thingy. (sceadugenga is fully conversant with the technical language of cameras).

The only thing I'd like that it hasn't got is a view finder.

Here's a pic I took last month on full zoom, hand held.

I have also had a look at the Powershot range - very impressive. Your shot on full zoom is impressive, too.

i tried the tz7 yesterday again and must say, if manual focus and focus itself is not interesting you and you want a good cam wih good video recording quality, then I would say go for the TZ7.

I am actually rethinking to buy another cam and not the TZ7. I don´t like how the focus reacts. Maybe I am curious when it comes to that, but I think it´s normal when using DSLR´s all the time an no compact digital cameras for years.

Now I am in a dead end zone...Pay double the price and get a Nikon D90 DSLR or the TZ7 with a Focus, that in my eyes, sucks a bit?

Yes, I've read more than one report about how sluggish the auto-focus is while zooming on the TZ7. It's definitely a problem that I don't want to have. I get the impression that the "no-zoom video" problem of the TZ3 was a top priority fix for the TZ7, but they had to compromise and came up with a poor solution.

May one ask, do you post your "Football" posts in the Ladies Fourm as well. :D

How Kan you forget me, shame on you, :burp: helping young lads like your good-self out in the Support Forum and all, with you and your 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' avatar, it does beg a questions or two :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :o

Football posts in the Ladies forum? Of course! Don't you? :P

Hey! And thanks for calling me a young lad! :D

I have no idea why I never seem to find this forum. Anyway, problem over now - it's in my TV bookmarks folder and I've got a zillion photos I could post...

Do you like my Monty P. avatar? I made it myself! :jerk: I've been thinking what other old TV show intros I could make into an avatar... Start Trek... Bilko... the mind boggles. :wai:

Good job scea, steady hands means no hangover! I have the Olympus SP-570 UZ, 20x optical zoom, super macro 1 cm, dual image stabilization (for those nervous momewnts) and it works splendidly. Although the last camera in the compact genre I will get.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012204olysp570uz.asp

That one looks interesting. I like the super macro and 20x zoom. It also has lots of video modes and continuous shooting modes.

Do you know if it has the equivalent a "time-elapsed motion video mode"? I was wondering what the "Interval shooting" mode was.