Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

I've tried the new location for the Pasta Cafe (Soi 5, Nimanhemin) a couple of times and have to revise my previously unfavourable opinion based on the old location on Nimanhemin itself.

I've enjoyed meals at the new one, which is much more spacious and inviting than the original 'hobby' resto. Good pastas and salads. Not as good a Da Giorgio (best in town for my tastes) but considerably cheaper and more relaxed, not as cheap as Italian Lang Mo but a tad better quality-wise and a step up atmosphere-wise - tho I quite like the casual atmosphere at Lang Mo for everyday dining.

Also there's a newish place selling pizza by the slice late nights, near the Rasta Cafe/Heaven Beach, etc. Not the best pizza around by a long shot (I haven't found any Chiang Mai pizzas to be all that special), but edible and convenient for that area.

Please add your suggestions.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best is Giorgo but there is also Babylon opposite CMU, Il Forno near 3 Kings Monument and Mad Dog on Moon Muang. The best new food place I've found lately is Seven Suns on Rachamanka. Perfect lamb chops (3 for 190 bt), great veggies like cauliflower in cheese sauce and delicious crepes stuffed with mushrooms, chicken, prawns or crab.

This may be old hat for you long timers here in CM, but I like the indian vegetarian place on moon muang soi 9. The place run by indian-thai people not the pretender place right next to it. I love thai food but 24/7, I need something else. The big T is good and if you are really hungry you can get the next size..........

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Cafe De Nimman on Nimman Haeman (spelling?). It's a fairly new place, across the street from the Warm Up in this little mall place called Room (if memory serves). They serve assorted pastas and Thai food. They'll even do up a vegetarian dish for you if you ask. The price is quite inexpensive, considering the place is built up like a classy restaurant. Portions ok, but not huge. The owner is usually around and pretty cool, so you might talk him up. Enjoy!

Le Coq D'or is excellent, (but Pricey) I like "The House's" Tapas Menu and Georgio's as already mentioned is so good you are lucky to get a table! For reasonably priced and very edible Italian Phom Pui (probabaly not spelt right) is very good.

• 3 weeks later...
Pasta Cafe is so-so. The prime rib is the worst I have ever had. If you gotta go stick with the pasta.

I really don't get why people rave about Georgios. Nice people, but the same Italian food as a bunch of lesser rated places that have been around a lot longer - and more expensive than the older places.

Pum Pui is just as good. :o

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

One of the best and maybe most secret places that I have found is the 10 badt place.

This is located on the soi right after AUI library on the left side of the soi. Little is known but they do have a english menu and all dishes are only 10 badt. A very good deal for breakfast or lunch.

Had an awful experience at La Casa restaurant a week ago. The 3 of us were treated with utter disrespect and I had my food send back as it was just foul. Bad service and as soon as I asked for the bill the staff turned all the lights off and made us leave ion a hurry. We were the only customers I must add and with a staff attitude like that I'm not surprised. Give me Giorgio any time!!

Thanks so much for your post about La Casa.  I drive by it often and was almost ready to try it.  Gratsie.

I know La Casa is a legitimate word in Spanish, but Italian?  Anyone know what "the house or home" is in Italian?

The same, just a longer pronounciation. Yes, still disappinted with La Casa as like you I always wanted to visit and heck, why not give it a try. I took my wife and a business collegue, what a farce, glad we got drunk on the wine my customer brought along, so had some joy even though we left hungry.

The first time I went to La Casa, about 6 years ago, it wasn't bad. Sorry to say it has gone down hill ever since. The last time I ate there, about 1 1/2 years ago, it was atrocious. My friend had to send back his venison, as it was inedible. I spent the next day sitting on my toilet. Wonder how they have lasted this long. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to find for a tourist, or even a local, but the restaurant at Ban Wang Tan (between the airport and Hang Dong) is an excellent restaurant with very reasonable prices.

On a large deck overlooking their own pond with swans and fountains, a very clean olympic-sized pool where you can take a dip, live music every night, very friendly and efficient staff, food to die for...

Don't try to find it on your own. Tell the Tuk-tuk driver Ban Wang Tan Restaurant and have him wait for you (or buy him/her dinner)...

• 2 weeks later...

"Food Corner" restaurant in Suntitam. Hard to find (when you get the the 5 way intersection from the Wat Suntitam 3 way intersection take a right, it is the 2nd road down, take a left then on your left)

BEST THAI FOOD IN CHIANG MAI, THE BEST KEPT SECRET HERE!

Ok. The 2 people that bother to read this will be very happy people indeed...

• 2 weeks later...

Just normal Thai food I guess. Not issaan or nothern thai. Some suggestions there:

Pad See U- My vegetarian friends say its the best they have had in Thailand!

Yellow curry Rice with fried chicken- my favourite dish there

Yum Kai Dao- with pork. a little pricey but excellent

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The woman who cooks is just really talented at making food.

Also at that interecetion is "the most famous thai-style ice tea/coffee/drink stand in Chiang Mai" accourding to my girlfriend. Always busy. Always good.

Suntitam is a gold-mine for those in the know.

• 3 weeks later...
For price, service, decor and overall decent quality, I like Fuji Restaurant in Airport Central Plaza for Japanese food.  I ate in the one in BKK as well and the quality is consistent.

Love Fuji too...

BUT got the worst case of food poisoning in my intire adult life from the steamed mussels w/garlic...absolutly ruined my appetite for that dish possibly for good...infact just thinking back on it now makes me feel like throwing-up again.

Beware of any seafood, especially shellfish, at restaurants far inland such as Chiang Mai...I won't be eating that again ever!

If you like Fuji, give Zen Japanese restaurant a try in the Airport Mall too. Food is just as good or better, but I believe their menu selection is larger. Its on the back side of the mall across form KFC.

Socalbro: Heartily agree about Zen. Ate in the one in Pattaya last month and it is better than Fuji. Will try the one in Airport Plaza over Fuji next time. The sushi bar prominently displayed in Pattaya seemed to set the tone. I think I remember the Zen here likewise arranged.

Qaulity of the food is great and the presentation is quite elaborate. The one in Pattaya had an interesting seating setup, normal table configured as a box for your feet without shoes to hint of the Japanese custom.

I found Kitchen Hush (I had the name backwards), cool two-story wooden house near Floral Condos. I liked the atmosphere, like a neighbourhood eatery in the TKY burbs. Food was OK, nothing spectactular, middle-of-the-road Japanese cuisine. Still looking for good Japanese food in Chiang Mai. Have tried both Zen and Fuji, thought Zen was better but nowhere near as good as the Zens in Bangkok, not sure why.

"Gohan Tei" on the Siam TV soi.

Best and cheapest Japanese food in Chiang Mai.

Many japanase locals eat there and I bring friends that visit from japan to eat there.

The Thai girlfriend even loves it. The owner is a great guy from Issaan who has been cooking Japanese food for almost 20 years at various high class restaurants around Thailand. Decided he could do it better and cheaper at his own place.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai.  You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste.  Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March.  I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

I agree with you.. I love Mike's hamburgers

Best hamburger in Thailand! :o Worth every bite!

i would like to try can you give more directions I know Siam Tv next to UBC office?

"Gohan Tei" on the Siam TV soi.

Best and cheapest Japanese food in Chiang Mai.

Many japanase locals eat there and I bring friends that visit from japan to eat there.

The Thai girlfriend even loves it. The owner is a great guy from Issaan who has been cooking Japanese food for almost 20 years at various high class restaurants around Thailand. Decided he could do it better and cheaper at his own place.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai.  You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste.  Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March.  I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

I agree with you.. I love Mike's hamburgers

Best hamburger in Thailand! :o Worth every bite!

Tasty assemblage at Mike's but the beef is pretty tasteless. Much better, IMO, are the seven different kinds of grilled burgers at Chiangmai Saloon. Give 'em a try if you haven't.

BTW I just heard that Mike no longer owns Mike's Burgers. He sold it with plans to open a Mexican resto, so the story goes.