Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe you guys are complaining about the decor at Gohan Tei, I guess this forum is a little too "high-so" for me.

The sushi there is excellent and if you are afraid of its quality I can assure you the chef buys it at the same places the other 4star Japaense places do because he has worked for those places for many years himself.

If you are paranoid about it ,order the salmon because this is never served "raw", since it is a fresh water fish.

Actually nevermind. That place should just be left the local secret for expat Japanese and "in the know" locals...

Anyone know good Sushi in CM? At any price? I have not been able to find anything so far. Maybe I am especially picky but as much as I love Fuji's other japanese food, the sushi sucks big time. Zen is just a tiny bit better but not good either.

Sushi for me is like wine - I love it when it's top-end, and don't like it much otherwise. I miss good Sushi!

I guess that they don't offer one the tapas menu in the main dining room because I've been there many times, but have never seen it. I hope that I can remember to ask for it as I plan on trying the place again in a couple of days. :o

UG, I can save you some more money.

Don't bother.

It is over-priced. There is not a great choice.

You have to go to the left-hand side of The House to get there. If it is quiet you have to hunt down someone to take your order.

I don't know who decided to open a Tapas Bar there. I suspect there is no Spanish influence. I would love to see a good Tapas Bar in CM, but there's not one yet...

The main thing about tapas is that they have to be excellent to be good. I had tons of bad tapas when I was in Spain! They can easily be greasy and tasteless. I found very good tapas bars too, but not many, even in spain the bad ones were the majority. Same goes for most tapas restaurants I have tried outside Spain. I know one excellent one in Houston, TX, and one OK one in SF, CA, that's it :D

I cant believe you guys are complaining about the decor at Gohan Tei, I guess this forum is a little too "high-so" for me.

The sushi there is excellent and if you are afraid of its quality I can assure you the chef buys it at the same places the other 4star Japaense places do because he has worked for those places for many years himself.

If you are paranoid about it ,order the salmon because this is never served "raw", since it is a fresh water fish.

Actually nevermind. That place should just be left the local secret for expat Japanese and "in the know" locals...

Anyone know good Sushi in CM? At any price? I have not been able to find anything so far. Maybe I am especially picky but as much as I love Fuji's other japanese food, the sushi sucks big time. Zen is just a tiny bit better but not good either.

Sushi for me is like wine - I love it when it's top-end, and don't like it much otherwise. I miss good Sushi!

I'm glad that I am not as picky as you. I LOVE both Zen and Fuji. :o

Heads up on Mexican place - MIGUEL'S - i think is name.....opposite Sompet Market just before the corner of Moon Muang.

VERY GOOD and you can add on extras........

This is the Mexican you've been waiting for! :o

salsa kitchen's kinda better for mexican food, IMO.

I'm glad that I am not as picky as you. I LOVE both Zen and Fuji. :o

Lucky you indeed! I don't know when exactly I got to be such a food snob :D

On the other hand, compared to what I was used to in San Francisco, CM sushi sucks. SF-Average $30 sushi is way better than anything I could find in CM. I attribute it to the lack of ocean... there is fresh, and there is _fresh_ :D

SF also had better Mexican food than I found in Mexico. In general, amazing food. Except good German bread which was completely impossible and of course Thai food which was just a pale imitation of what's on offer in most thai restaurants here in LOS.

Edited by nikster

San Francisco has AMAZING food. I used to live there before I moved to Thailand 17 years ago.

My favorite sushi place then was at Japan center and the sushi went around on boats.

However, I was here without this kind of food for so many years that I was quite happy when we finally started to get it a few years ago. I guess my taste buds have forgotten what the best quality sushi tastes like. :o

Try Kitchen Hush, east of the river near Floral Condos.

Mike has had several different kinds of tamales with rice and beans as the special this week and I have been chowing down on them. LOVE his guacamole too! :o

If he's making tamales that means he has masa (corn flour) and if has masa than he ought to be making corn tortillas, too, so that he can serve real tacos (rather than burritos folded in half and called 'tacos'). :D I still like the place, well some dishes anyway ...

Salsa Kitchen barely qualifies as Mexican food--and no corn tortillas in sight, even for the nachos. Huge portions though and good enough if authenticity isn't important.

Heads up on Mexican place - MIGUEL'S - i think is name.....opposite Sompet Market just before the corner of Moon Muang.

VERY GOOD and you can add on extras........

This is the Mexican you've been waiting for! :o

If you back up in this thread (and elsewhere in the Chiang Mai forum) you'll find that Miguel's has been mentioned many times.

bar mayflower on loh kroh road is an excellent retaurant,owned by a french guy.its in the middle of a newish bar,called red bar i think,and stairway to heaven.

serves beautiful roast duck,mash and nice topped sauces.many dishes on the menu,large menus outside the bar.not too cheap but very good food,i eat there alot when in c mai

I agree about the Mayflower, definitely worth a try.Yesterday we tried a newly opened French restaurant, the Soliles, Thapae soi2, really nice food and on the inexpensive side.I will be bak there...tonight with some frnch friends.

Mike has had several different kinds of tamales with rice and beans as the special this week and I have been chowing down on them. LOVE his guacamole too! :D

If he's making tamales that means he has masa (corn flour) and if has masa than he ought to be making corn tortillas, too, so that he can serve real tacos (rather than burritos folded in half and called 'tacos'). :D I still like the place, well some dishes anyway ...

I'm prettty sure that Mike said that the corn flower that he uses for tamales won't work for corn tortillas, but I have no idea if that is correct. It might be also that he just can't get enough, because he has to have someone hand-carry it from LA. :o

Back when I managed a hog farm in North Carolina, and all my employees were from Mexico and Honduras, one of them brought in some tamales. His wife had cooked them and he was selling them. But I sensed a unified front and an unspoken agreement in which nobody would buy them. I'm not sure what that was about, but I didn't buy any either. I trust my amigos.

Days later, the guy started giving away free samples, limit one per person. Since we had more people than he had tamales, they quickly vanished, and he never brought any more. Absolutely delicious. That's what Miguel will be competing against. Not just the tamales themselves, which is hard enough to deal with, but my memory of them. Methinks this is not a fair fight.

Mike has had several different kinds of tamales with rice and beans as the special this week and I have been chowing down on them. LOVE his guacamole too! :D

I'm prettty sure that Mike said that the corn flower that he uses for tamales won't work for corn tortillas, but I have no idea if that is correct. It might be also that he just can't get enough, because he has to have someone hand-carry it from LA. :o

I think he might be right, come to think of it. Looking forward to trying the tamales soon. He is using real corn chips for the nachos now, which is great.

What do you think is better?

The Mexican food in Thailand, or the Thai food in Mexico?

There are more places to find Mexican food in Thailand than there are Thai places in Mexico. In fact in all of Mexico I don't think there are more than three or four Thai restos. According to Thais I know living in Mexico City, there is only one Thai resto in that city of 20 million (not unusual; for being possibly the largest city in the world, Mexico City has an amazing lack of variety when it comes to restaurants).

San Jose del Cabo has one Thai restaurant (although owned by an American, with a Mexican chef, it's not bad, probably the equivalent of Miguel's here in Chiang Mai, ie a labour of love) and one place in Sayulita (also American-owned; I haven't tried it). A restaurant at a hotel in Tulum serves a few Thai dishes. Other than these I know of no other Meixcan cities with Thai restaurants. Considering that Mexico is a much bigger country than Thailand, that's precious few. I'd say Thailand comes out better on Mexican than Mexico does on Thai.

It's quite fun to crack wise, and you must have noticed from my posts that I feel that way. But let's get serious. Briefly. I spent 8 years working for an R&D firm in North Carolina with a bunch of engineers, a.k.a. mad scientists, and at last we had to send a redneck to Mexico to install one of our extremely cool inventions.

It broke his heart that he couldn't find a taco anywhere in Mexico. I've forgotten the name of the town we sent him to, but it broke my heart too. Shattering a stereotype and all that, and I happen to have managed a hog farm where I was the only gavacho. ("Gringo" is so spaghetti western.)

Mexicans who don't eat tacos? That's like cats who don't eat tuna. Mind <deleted>!

I'll tell you one thing I love about Thailand. And Malaysia, in fact. They import food styles from all over the world and do it quite well. All are one choice amongst many. Penang has far better Chiacgo style hot dogs than the typical North Carolinian could ever dream of. Just to pick one little wimpy example, since I happen to be from NC but spent an hour or two in Chicago before my permanent move to Asia in 1999.

(I married a lovely Aussie in Hong Kong, so don't be sterotyping me.)

I lived in China for over 6 years and the sight of a McDonalds made me want to kill somebody. But in Thailand, just one choice among many. Same way I feel about Mexican food here, or Indian food here, or whatever cuisine you love. Bring it on. We eat it all. Level playing field, folks with more functuional taste buds than I have, and let the pad thai fall where it may. Mai ben rai. IDIC, as my fellow Trekkies would say. Thailand can handle it. Alqways has, always will.

What was I on about? I forgot. I often do. But you don't care. You're being Changed by your beer as well.

Looking forward to trying the tamales soon. He is using real corn chips for the nachos now, which is great.

I don't want you to waste your time. I ate the last tamale yesterday. :o

The guy who hand carries the corn flour from LA has broken his leg and can't travel right now, but I will post it when he recovers and Mike has more tamales!

Looking forward to trying the tamales soon. He is using real corn chips for the nachos now, which is great.

I don't want you to waste your time. I ate the last tamale yesterday. :o

The guy who hand carries the corn flour from LA has broken his leg and can't travel right now, but I will post it when he recovers and Mike has more tamales!

Alright, we await the word.

I've forgotten the name of the town, but it was definitely off the beaten path. He had a lot of strange stories about the place, not just the lack of tacos or burritos. I just can't remember them all, maybe because we had strange stories in that place all the time. I remember he repaired our equipment, so I guess that's what mattered. I was the guy who fielded phone calls from angry customers.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know why so many otherwise great eateries in Chiang Mai don't open until 4 or 5. I'm usually at home by then so I can feed the cat and then perhaps telecommute over to the Americas. I'm importing their money, as any loyal Thai would. :-)

Michael

San Jose del Cabo has one Thai restaurant (although owned by an American, with a Mexican chef, it's not bad, probably the equivalent of Miguel's here in Chiang Mai, ie a labour of love)

:o

i've got to disagree with you.

i was in that restaurant approx. 15 months ago, and it was one of the worst meals i've ever had.

no exaggeration.

miguel's (while not great), is world's better.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

I don't want you to waste your time. I ate the last tamale yesterday. :D

Mike says that the corn flour is on it's way from LA. The fellow with the broken leg got his wife to carry it in to the Kingdom.

More tamales in a couple of days! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've been in Chiang Mai for 3 months and I haven't had a bad meal yet. When you get hungry, just look around what ever neighborhood you're in and you'll find something good. That's my theory, anyway.

Oh, and if I feel like cooking, which happens maybe twice a year, Rimping has some pretty good beef. I was born long ago, when beef was the cheapest meat in North Carolina, so that's what I still eat. Moooo....

(Random Richard Pryor quote on eating beef in India: "What about reincarnation?" "I'll worry about that when I get back. I'm hungry tonight.")