Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Haven't seen it posted here but can highly recommend the Dukes, opposite the Sheraton on the river. Consistently good ribs, pizza and mexican food at a very sensible price. Owned by an American who has been in the food game a long time he understands the business well. Best part about it is the consistency of quality is the same every time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I popped into the Olde Bell on Loy Kroy Road a few Sundays ago and tried out the Sunday lunch (see pic) have to say it was a pleasant surprise. All the usual trappings, enough to fill a rumbling stomach and as near to a Brit Sunday lunch as you can find anywhere in CM. A fair selection of wines at reasonable prices and a good variety of beers. Good to see competent competition on the block.

post-37991-1163804778_thumb.jpg

Haven't seen it posted here but can highly recommend the Dukes, opposite the Sheraton on the river. Consistently good ribs, pizza and mexican food at a very sensible price. Owned by an American who has been in the food game a long time he understands the business well. Best part about it is the consistency of quality is the same every time.

Tou are the second person to make this mistake.. How can anyone say 'opposite the Sheraton'.. The Sheraton is at least 4 kilometers away...

Tou are the second person to make this mistake.. How can anyone say 'opposite the Sheraton'.. The Sheraton is at least 4 kilometers away...

I don't know if there are two Sheraton hotels or two Dukes restaurants in Chiang Mai but I don't think so. The Sheraton Hotel is located on the West bank bank of the Ping River between the Narwatkate Bridge and the Metal bridge, about five hundred metres from my home. The Dukes restaurant to which I refer is located on the East side of the Ping, directly opposite and is about two hundred metres from the Rimping supermarket. These things are surely true since my wife works at one of those places and I next door to the other. Please let me know if you find another Sheraton or Dukes in Chiang Mai.

I don't know if there are two Sheraton hotels or two Dukes restaurants in Chiang Mai but I don't think so. The Sheraton Hotel is located on the West bank bank of the Ping River between the Narwatkate Bridge and the Metal bridge, about five hundred metres from my home. The Dukes restaurant to which I refer is located on the East side of the Ping, directly opposite and is about two hundred metres from the Rimping supermarket. These things are surely true since my wife works at one of those places and I next door to the other. Please let me know if you find another Sheraton or Dukes in Chiang Mai.

Well, it's not that there is another Sheraton, but the one you are referring to exists only in the mind of you and your wife... The Sheraton is located about 3-4 klometers downstream from the Iron bridge, and it is on the East side of the River, not the West side as you stated... Here it is on the map from their website.. The Dukes is near the Tourist Police..

map-westin-chiangmai.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

Well, it's not that there is another Sheraton, but the one you are referring to exists only in the mind of you and your wife... The Sheraton is located about 3-4 klometers downstream from the Iron bridge, and it is on the East side of the River, not the West side as you stated... Here it is on the map from their website.. The Dukes is near the Tourist Police..

map-westin-chiangmai.jpg

I concede that you are correct and that I am wrong - to satisfy myself of this point I have just walked down there to take a look. I shall ensure that when I go to the office on Monday all staff will be suitably reminded to henceforth refer to the building in question as the Not The Sheraton and I shall slap myself lightly several times for not questioning a "fact". Please can I go now.

. . . The Sheraton is located about 3-4 klometers downstream from the Iron bridge, and it is on the East side of the River, not the West side as you stated... Here it is on the map from their website.. . . . map-westin-chiangmai.jpg

OK, so help me out, please. The Sheraton is located exactly where on the map? Next to the Westin Chiangmai?

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

Not sure if anyone has added to this post but there is a new Mike's Burgers in the Peak Bar area. It is in the centre and the deliver to the bars around so you don't even have to get of the bar stool to get a burger. I had the Chilli Burger the other night - good one.

Other choice for a decent burger are the Chiang Mai Saloon in Loi Khro and the new one next the the Irish Pub.

Another new one also on Loi Khro is the Hungry Horse which is open from breakfast through to late late. Good burger and great breakfasts

Matt

Chiang Mai

Had dinner last night at the new French place just off Thapae, Le Sollis(?) and it was OK without being astounding in any way but I'll wager they are gone within 6 months. Area is 80% backpackers and they will not be interested even though prices are not over the top. Was there for best part of hour and a half and not another punter in sight and to be honest nothing much to draw me back again other than convenience.

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

I hear-tell there might be a Mikes Burger in Bangkok soon. :o

I'm planning to eat Italian food tonight with another member. We liked Pompui (on the soi of Top North Guesthouse) around 2003, and I think that Pompui's former owner now has Buenissimo (my friend knows where that is, and likes the Italian sausage that's sold at the store behind the restaurant). Are there some new, outstanding Italian restaurants to recommend?

Thanks.

One of the best and maybe most secret places that I have found is the 10 badt place.

This is located on the soi right after AUI library on the left side of the soi. Little is known but they do have a english menu and all dishes are only 10 badt. A very good deal for breakfast or lunch.

We would have been better off going to a 10 Baht place the other night, too. We went to La Gondola for the first time. I always wanted to go there, because I heard it was owned by the same owner as Stephanos and we liked eating at Stephanos before, so last week, we finally got around to it.

The athmosphere was nice. It is located right next to the Ping River. The food was so - so. I had Pizza and aside from the crust being too thin for my taste, there was very little (and I mean very little) cheese on it. Then I ordered a cafe Mocha. I was first brought a regular coffee and when I asked if it was really a cafe mocha, I was assured that it was. Five minutes later, the waitress came back and told us that she had made a mistake, brought us a different coffee, which also wasn't a Mocha.

The service was slow but otherwise quite acceptable, but the food wasn't good enough to bring us back.

I think I will stick to the Sheraton buffet, which is a little pricey, but great food. As for my wife, we haven't found any place in Chiang Mai yet (and we have been living in the province for 6 years. My wife is from Chiang Mai), that serves both good foreign and Thai food. Usually, we find that one or the other is good, but not both, so what usually happens is, that we end up going to a Farang restaurant, order a meal and then after, we go to a noodle stand, so my wife has something she likes, too ;-)

Sorry, I'll take that back. Michael from the Green Oasis had good food that we both liked. I heard he is open again somewhere in Chiang Mai and would appreciate it if someone could tell me where?

We live in Chiang Dao now and only get into Chiang Mai once a week for shopping.

Kurt

We went to La Gondola for the first time. I always wanted to go there, because I heard it was owned by the same owner as Stephanos and we liked eating at Stephanos before, so last week, we finally got around to it.

The service was slow but otherwise quite acceptable, but the food wasn't good enough to bring us back.

Kurt

You might give them another try sometime if you like Stephanos. Anyone can have an off day.

Stephanos is the Chef and he is usually at La Gondola. There is really no reason why the food would be better at the other location.

We just tried a new (opened 3 months ago) Japanese restaurant on Wua Lai Road named Shiharu. If you are coming from the old city down Wua Lai towards the airport, it's on the right next to Bangkok Bank. The sign is only in Thai, but the menu is Thai/Japanese/English. The Japanese owner/chef was great...we just told him we like sushi (but don't like saba) and he gave us what was fresh and delicious. Without a doubt it was the best sushi I've had in Chiang Mai, and I've tried every Japanese restaurant that I know of. Amazingly, it was cheaper than 90% of the other ones as well. The menu had lots of other stuff, but I didn't really look at it. Highly recommended!

We went to La Gondola for the first time. I always wanted to go there, because I heard it was owned by the same owner as Stephanos and we liked eating at Stephanos before, so last week, we finally got around to it.

Kurt

You might give them another try sometime if you like Stephanos. Anyone can have an off day.

Stephanos is the Chef and he is usually at La Gondola. There is really no reason why the food would be better at the other location.

I prefer the Tha Pae one, it doesn't have that guy shouting at his poor staff all the time - I remember being happy when they opened the Rimping branch and I didn't have to endure it.

I prefer slow food to seeing people getting verbally abused!

Kurt

I prefer the Tha Pae one, it doesn't have that guy shouting at his poor staff all the time - I remember being happy when they opened the Rimping branch and I didn't have to endure it.

I'm afraid that is rather common at Chiang Mai's better restaurants.

Dave the Duke and Mexican Food Mike both put on a few floor shows daily. :o

Kurt

I'm afraid that is rather common at Chiang Mai's better restaurants.

Dave the Duke and Mexican Food Mike both put on a few floor shows daily. :D

Sorry UG me old mucker, but if that's the stuff they do then I won't go - I never found the Dukes as bad as Da Stefano - although I do find DD a bit patronising to Thai people in general, just MHO though :o

Sorry UG me old mucker, but if that's the stuff they do then I won't go - I never found the Dukes as bad as Da Stefano - although I do find DD a bit patronising to Thai people in general, just MHO though :o

Maybe better stick with Art Cafe.

Kulab doesn't yell at the Thai staff, but Chuck gets a hollering pretty often. That is just funny though! :D

I think I will stick to the Sheraton buffet, which is a little pricey, but great food. As for my wife, we haven't found any place in Chiang Mai yet (and we have been living in the province for 6 years. My wife is from Chiang Mai), that serves both good foreign and Thai food. Usually, we find that one or the other is good, but not both, so what usually happens is, that we end up going to a Farang restaurant, order a meal and then after, we go to a noodle stand, so my wife has something she likes, too ;-)

Kurt

Kurt, when does sheraton have its dinner buffets and how much??? love buffets and so far had the amari and duangtawan ones.

I tried a good French Crepe restaurant on that strange little soi between John's Place and cozy corner.

Very good quality; The best crepes I've had in years and IMHO probably the best in Thailand for sure. The kind of food that The House could be serving at a much higher price.

Reasonably priced and most tasty.

Kurt

Kurt, when does sheraton have its dinner buffets and how much??? love buffets and so far had the amari and duangtawan ones.

I don't know about the evening, but the Sheraton does the lunch buffet daily from 11.30 till 2.30.

Wear elasticated trousers!

Kurt

I don't know about the evening, but the Sheraton does the lunch buffet daily from 11.30 till 2.30.

Pricey is relative .... what is the price? Is there a different price for Sunday and the rest of the week?

Kurt

Pricey is relative .... what is the price? Is there a different price for Sunday and the rest of the week?

500 baht per visit - add 50 baht on a sunday - I think it is the best value for money in CM!