Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

"Gohan Tei" on the Siam TV soi.

Best and cheapest Japanese food in Chiang Mai.

Many japanase locals eat there and I bring friends that visit from japan to eat there.

The Thai girlfriend even loves it. The owner is a great guy from Issaan who has been cooking Japanese food for almost 20 years at various high class restaurants around Thailand. Decided he could do it better and cheaper at his own place.

You got the numbers for Gohan Tei ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just tried a new (opened 3 months ago) Japanese restaurant on Wua Lai Road named Shiharu. If you are coming from the old city down Wua Lai towards the airport, it's on the right next to Bangkok Bank. The sign is only in Thai, but the menu is Thai/Japanese/English. The Japanese owner/chef was great...we just told him we like sushi (but don't like saba) and he gave us what was fresh and delicious. Without a doubt it was the best sushi I've had in Chiang Mai, and I've tried every Japanese restaurant that I know of. Amazingly, it was cheaper than 90% of the other ones as well. The menu had lots of other stuff, but I didn't really look at it. Highly recommended!

You got the numbers for shiharu ?

Down Under......on Nimmanhaemin. My wife and I ate there about a month ago , I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu and she had the Som Tam Talay.... The chicken was VERY dry and the little lady did not care for the som tam (albeit she is quite the som tam connisuer ) The meal would have been acceptable with the exception of the fact that it took about an hour to get the food. Well everyone has an off night, so we went back to try it again tonight. I had a burger and she had a tom yum dish. I thought the burger was terrible, and her tom yum was ok. Again the main problem was that it took over 1 hour to get my hamburger. That is totally unacceptable. I could have walked to Mikes, ate a burger there and been back home all before my food was even delivered. Down Under is not a place we will go to again.

Down Under......on Nimmanhaemin. My wife and I ate there about a month ago , I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu and she had the Som Tam Talay.... The chicken was VERY dry and the little lady did not care for the som tam (albeit she is quite the som tam connisuer ) The meal would have been acceptable with the exception of the fact that it took about an hour to get the food. Well everyone has an off night, so we went back to try it again tonight. I had a burger and she had a tom yum dish. I thought the burger was terrible, and her tom yum was ok. Again the main problem was that it took over 1 hour to get my hamburger. That is totally unacceptable. I could have walked to Mikes, ate a burger there and been back home all before my food was even delivered. Down Under is not a place we will go to again.

I never rate the Thai food in farang restaurants - if you want decent Thai food go to a Thai place...

I never rate the Thai food in farang restaurants - if you want decent Thai food go to a Thai place...

I don't rate it either, only the farang food. The little lady ( Thai ) always gets the Thai food. we usually eat ate 2 different places

A couple of posters ("Seeker" was one) reported on the buffet at the Duangtawan Hotel. I have two questions:

1. How are the western desserts?

2. It was mentioned that you can get just the salad bar buffet for a lesser price. Would the salad bar buffet price allow you to eat the desserts?

Apparently Miguels is now under new ownership. Not much has changed, same personnel and same great mexican food. Last night had the Chicken taquitos ( a little over cooked ) and a bean and cheese burrito (wet ). Even though the taquitos were overdone everything was still great.

The Duangtawan really try hard on the Japanese buffet, but Japanese food HAS to be eaten when it is ultra-fresh.

I much rather pay for Zen or Fuji and get top quality Japanese food. :o

What about McDonalds

I would LOVE a gourmet burger made with top US prime sirloin beef, however, nothing close to that is available here.

To be perfectly honest, McDonald's Burgers are probably better than most of the burgers in Chiang Mai and the taste is consistant where local burgers range from acceptable to terrible and change from day to day. THAT is why McDonald's are the world's best selling chain restaurant. :D

I prefer Wendy's when you could get a triple cheese with juice dripping down your arms when you ate.

Next up is burger king but now closed.

Not too keen on McDucks but stop by when I have the craving since i do like the fries.

Will try the Pirates nest time I am in town.

Apparently Miguels is now under new ownership. Not much has changed, same personnel and same great mexican food. Last night had the Chicken taquitos ( a little over cooked ) and a bean and cheese burrito (wet ). Even though the taquitos were overdone everything was still great.

GREAT! I can finally try it out. I love mexican food so I stopped by when I first saw Miquel's. This was a few days before it opened but the doors were open and there was no sign indicating that they were not open or when they would be open. The white guy behind the bar was pretty rude in telling me they were not open yet so i swore i would never eat there.

Now that it has a new owner i can give it a try. I love good margaritas with plenty of tequila so i will give it a try also.

GREAT! I can finally try it out. I love mexican food so I stopped by when I first saw Miquel's. This was a few days before it opened but the doors were open and there was no sign indicating that they were not open or when they would be open. The white guy behind the bar was pretty rude in telling me they were not open yet so i swore i would never eat there.

That was Mike.

He doesn't really mean to be rude, but he's from New Jersey. He can't help himself! :o

I tried a good French Crepe restaurant on that strange little soi between John's Place and cozy corner.

Very good quality; The best crepes I've had in years and IMHO probably the best in Thailand for sure. The kind of food that The House could be serving at a much higher price.

Reasonably priced and most tasty.

Cote Jardin? A French friend recently recommended it highly.

I tried a good French Crepe restaurant on that strange little soi between John's Place and cozy corner.

Very good quality; The best crepes I've had in years and IMHO probably the best in Thailand for sure. The kind of food that The House could be serving at a much higher price.

Reasonably priced and most tasty.

Cote Jardin? A French friend recently recommended it highly.

It is the same place.

I ate there again last night. :o

My family and freinds asked me to recommend a restaurant to go to when they were all here over Xmas..I recommended The Duke's......they were very dissapointed...the portions were large but the quality was poor according to them.

they did not ask me for a recommendation when they next went to dine out :o

They brought a lot of the food back in a container for my Dog..can't really tell what She thought of it.

Did not cover myself in glory there ..for someone who is supposed to know something about food having had my own restaurant before.

My family and freinds asked me to recommend a restaurant to go to when they were all here over Xmas..I recommended The Duke's......they were very dissapointed...the portions were large but the quality was poor according to them.

I mentioned this to a couple of buddies and they came up with a pretty good question.

If they thought the quality at the Duke's wasn't up to much, where else around here have they been eating that they thought was good? :o

I mentioned this to a couple of buddies and they came up with a pretty good question.

If they thought the quality at the Duke's wasn't up to much, where else around here have they been eating that they thought was good? :D

They have not been anywhere...I cooked for them :o

They are from BK where the standard of food is higher ...and dearer

they did not ask me for a recommendation when they next went to dine out :D

They brought a lot of the food back in a container for my Dog..can't really tell what She thought of it.

Did not cover myself in glory there ..for someone who is supposed to know something about food having had my own restaurant before.

Agree with your friends' assessment. :o