Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Is the reference to Giorgio's for the place in Hong Dang's Kad Farang complex, or elsewhere?

Maybe we'll try Madame Lee's.

I took jalapano cornbread and barbecue beans from He11's kitchen the other night. Beans were delicious. The cornbread was very full of jalapeno, but otherwise tasty.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the reference to Giorgio's for the place in Hong Dang's Kad Farang complex, or elsewhere?

I took jalapano cornbread and barbecue beans from He11's kitchen the other night. Beans were delicious. The cornbread was very full of jalapeno, but otherwise tasty.

PB you´re from Texas, you should´ve loved the jalapenos :o Must try this place.

jalapeno's in corn bread?? nows thats something new ! never had them with jalapeno's.

Hadn't been to the Queen Vic in about a year so we decided to give it another try last week. Hubby had complained first time that his steak tasted and felt like it had been steamed or boiled. This time he ordered a pizza and it looked like a pizza you'd buy in Tescos. Really sweet sauce and random things thrown on top with virtually no cheese. :D Another person in our group ordered chicken kiev. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't chicken kiev a rolled up chicken breast stuffed with butter and parsley or garlic or chives, battered and fried? What arrived was a flat, breaded, deep fried chicken breast, kind of like a fried khao mun gai chicken breast, with a lump of butter on top. :o I had fish and chips, which was good, but their tartar sauce was basically Thai style mayonnaise. And it's certainly not like the atmosphere can make up for the overpriced not so yummy food....

So, was disappointed the first time, gave it another chance, second time was even worse. Will not be going back or recommending to anyone.

I know some of you guys like it there. What are you eating that's so good???

Oh, and on a similar note, 2 friends went to the Chiang Mai Saloon across the soi from the Irish Pub and ordered buffalo wings and nachos. 4 measly Thai chicken wings with sweet sauce on top and a plate of stale greasy been sittin there for 3 days corn chips.

Another disappointment.

At least we've still got the Salsa Kitchen :D

Cheers,

TT

Hi

trying in vain to find a really good pizza in CM! ok, 30 pages to read, going through it...slowly.

why does everyone rave bout Giorgio's?? the pasta was overcooked and the pizza was small, the cheese tasted nasty and the olives took all night and the following morning to digest.

Piccola Roma Palace is dreadful. The owner/chef rude, pasta overcooked and could not taste any garlic or wine in the sauce, and the pizza tasted like it was a microwaved kids food. You pay for the decor, not the food.

ok, let's try... a real large flat (not one inch high) pizza, light and crisp, with tomatoes, mozzarella some oregano and pepper. how difficult can it be?!

btw best pizza so far in Thailand is Pan Pan in Pattaya/Jomtien... so good even my thai wife misses it! amazing.

buon appetito

rych

Pom Pui - Moon Muang Soi 2.

Stefano's - Thapae Road, near Thapae Gate, at the Thapae road end of the soi that Gecko Books lives on.

Both worth a shot for thin italian style pizza.

JxP.

Only been here a couple of weeks so am reading with interest places to eat,

my experience Dukes okish had the jalapeno mozzarella pop things ok and chowder ok....

ribs tender but huge disappointment... because sauce warm ribs stone cold, as was starter portion, couldnt be bothered sending it back etc so i guess it was precooked and sauce plopped on microwave and as usual thais dont give it long enuff as dont care if food warm or cold IMO. Didnt try main...

Mike bacon burgers good but why not cut bacon in two so you can eat it without slobbering all over your chin...

Mike cheesy filly steak inedible gristle (maybe i got unlucky) the peak branch

Riverside recommmend spring rolls different style and nice....Mad Dogs Pizza good and cheesy and fair value! As is their breakfast(english).......

oh nearly forgot...the Saloon place ..went in there to check menu and have drink and use (free)internet...while sat there at 11 pm was treated to a rat running from under the fridge where they keep beer (towards far interior of bar and kitchen end tho not in kitchen) and trying to get in black rubbish sacks and run back to hide at slightest movement...mentioned to staff and it was mai pen rai it like the free peanuts! well ok great for the rats but does not endear the food to me!

oh nearly forgot...the Saloon place ..went in there to check menu and have drink and use (free)internet...while sat there at 11 pm was treated to a rat running from under the fridge where they keep beer (towards far interior of bar and kitchen end tho not in kitchen) and trying to get in black rubbish sacks and run back to hide at slightest movement...mentioned to staff and it was mai pen rai it like the free peanuts! well ok great for the rats but does not endear the food to me!

Lots of rats all over the city. Seen several cat-sized ones running along the moat, near the bus station and in other locations. I don't think CM Saloon can do much to prevent them from getting in (apart from putting out rat poison which can kill other animals as well). Dont worry, they taste great in curry. :o

Lots of rats all over the city. Seen several cat-sized ones running along the moat, near the bus station and in other locations. I don't think CM Saloon can do much to prevent them from getting in (apart from putting out rat poison which can kill other animals as well). Dont worry, they taste great in curry. :o

The last thing any food establishment wants or need is any form of poison on its premises. Rats are endemic in CM!

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

Hi,

I am a long time resident in CNX and I know how popular Mikes is, but for me the fare is somewhat greasy and salty. A revamped, "under new management" of the small Kebab joint now called Woody's just up the road towards Spicy (next to Seven 11) has great burgers and have just introduced a very tasty Chile Con Carne, good value, good service and open till late. They are also making itty bitty homemade chocolates at unbelievable prices for LOS, YUUMMM!

Lots of rats all over the city. Seen several cat-sized ones running along the moat, near the bus station and in other locations. I don't think CM Saloon can do much to prevent them from getting in (apart from putting out rat poison which can kill other animals as well). Dont worry, they taste great in curry. :D

Pretty much every restaurant around here has mice or rats in areas where food is stored or prepared.

It's a nasty sight, but you can't get too worried about it.

Even Singapore has lots of rats in certain areas! :o

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

Hi,

I am a long time resident in CNX and I know how popular Mikes is, but for me the fare is somewhat greasy and salty.

Hey, it's a hamburger joint.

Get over it! :o

Hadn't been to the Queen Vic in about a year so we decided to give it another try last week. Hubby had complained first time that his steak tasted and felt like it had been steamed or boiled. This time he ordered a pizza and it looked like a pizza you'd buy in Tescos. Really sweet sauce and random things thrown on top with virtually no cheese. :D Another person in our group ordered chicken kiev. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't chicken kiev a rolled up chicken breast stuffed with butter and parsley or garlic or chives, battered and fried? What arrived was a flat, breaded, deep fried chicken breast, kind of like a fried khao mun gai chicken breast, with a lump of butter on top. :o I had fish and chips, which was good, but their tartar sauce was basically Thai style mayonnaise. And it's certainly not like the atmosphere can make up for the overpriced not so yummy food....

So, was disappointed the first time, gave it another chance, second time was even worse. Will not be going back or recommending to anyone.

I know some of you guys like it there. What are you eating that's so good???

Oh, and on a similar note, 2 friends went to the Chiang Mai Saloon across the soi from the Irish Pub and ordered buffalo wings and nachos. 4 measly Thai chicken wings with sweet sauce on top and a plate of stale greasy been sittin there for 3 days corn chips.

Another disappointment.

At least we've still got the Salsa Kitchen :D

Cheers,

TT

Tried Queen Vic night before last with a friend from England. Ordered beef in Guinness pie, not bad but nothing special (but then back in the UK it's nothing special either!), properly cooked peas and good mash. English friend had the chicken Kiev referenced above, yep just breaded chicken with a lump of butter but my friend said in England it's often served that way. She asked for Branston pickle on the side, and that livened up the Kiev immeasurably. She ordered baked potato with the Kiev but they brought chips instead, no apologies. Service was very prompt. Huge menu, many American dishes not to mention Thai. Nice attempt at English pub ambience. No other customers dining at 7pm, reminded me of Duke's that way (except the service much quicker).

The Chiangmai Saloon on Ratchawithi (near the Irish Pub) and the one on Loi Kroh seem to differ, food-quality-wise. Only tried the one on Ratchawithi once, didn't compare favourably with the original on Loi Kroh.

I noticed a slight reduction in quality at Queen Vic last time I was there. (And then only in one dish we ordered) I sincerely hope it's not going downhill.. (Ordered a chilli cheese dog, and the problem was with the sausage.. Very typical sausage like you'd expect to get from a road-side meatball vendor. The chilli was still very nice, but the hot dog was indeed best fed to the dog. :o To put it in perspective it's only 60 baht or so, but still, Queen Vic used to EXCEED expectations but this time they did not.

I still love the staff and family atmosphere though.

I was at the Mad Dog on Friday. I had cod and chips - which was ok. But my wife had the steak and onion pie - which came with the worst gravy I have ever tasted. I don't think that soy sauce should be in gravy!. Had the gravy been better it would have improved the driest pie in the world!

Two superlatives in one paragraph - sorry!

for some reason i've been spending a lot of time in restaurants recently...

my recent trip to miguel's mexican was a disappointment. maybe the cook was having a night off, but in the 20 odd times i've eaten there, it was the worst. what was even more troubling was the cheese used in the quesadilla....it seemed to be mozzarella. i'll certainly give it another try--everyone deserves a second chance.

i also finally made it to bonnissimo. we thought it was too late (9:15) for pasta, so we ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad and the pesto pizza. the salad left a lot to be desired, but i'd strongly recommend the pesto pizza.

i was also in tuskers.....i ordered hummus and pita bread with a side of fries. everything was good (particularly the fries) but the amount of hummus was laughably small. it's a great looking place.

khun churn never seems to disappoint. the gai tort grateeum (fakefried chicken with garlic) was fantastic. the worst thing about khun churn is the inattentiveness of the staff. they're all friendly kids, but they don't seem to have their minds on their jobs.

[

If they want Thai food though, we go to 'Ron Kaeng Baan Suan' quite a bit. It is our favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai.

just_Elaine

Just an update. We have been getting inconsistent results from 'Ron Kaeng Baam Suan'; sometimes the food is good, sometimes not.

Our new place for Thai food is a restaurant with only the name in Thai (something about banana leaves). It is on a street between the road that Tesco Lotus Hang Dong is on and canal road. To get there: going South with Tesco Lotus Hang Dong on your left, continue until you reach the light and make a right. It is across from Mountain Green Restaurant. Recommended: Boneless fried tab tim (comes with a green mango dip on the side), Grilled Eggplant salad (nice smokey flavor), pork salad with lemon, wing bean salad. The steamed tab tim in lime and chilli sauce was very good, but we've only had it once. There is a vegetable and shrimp dish made with green peppercorns that is really good. It is on the one page special menu with about a half dozen pictures. Warning - the food can be quite spicy! If you can't take spicy, try the boneless fried tab tim and a mixed vegetable.

Also, on Huay Kaew Road across from Hillside 4 Condo, there is a a restaurant with a big yellow sign. We've had laab and yam woon sen for lunch a couple of times. Very good.

[

If they want Thai food though, we go to 'Ron Kaeng Baan Suan' quite a bit. It is our favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai.

just_Elaine

Just an update. We have been getting inconsistent results from 'Ron Kaeng Baam Suan'; sometimes the food is good, sometimes not.

Our new place for Thai food is a restaurant with only the name in Thai (something about banana leaves). It is on a street between the road that Tesco Lotus Hang Dong is on and canal road. To get there: going South with Tesco Lotus Hang Dong on your left, continue until you reach the light and make a right. It is across from Mountain Green Restaurant. Recommended: Boneless fried tab tim (comes with a green mango dip on the side), Grilled Eggplant salad (nice smokey flavor), pork salad with lemon, wing bean salad. The steamed tab tim in lime and chilli sauce was very good, but we've only had it once. There is a vegetable and shrimp dish made with green peppercorns that is really good. It is on the one page special menu with about a half dozen pictures. Warning - the food can be quite spicy! If you can't take spicy, try the boneless fried tab tim and a mixed vegetable.

Also, on Huay Kaew Road across from Hillside 4 Condo, there is a a restaurant with a big yellow sign. We've had laab and yam woon sen for lunch a couple of times. Very good.

The resturant with the big yellow sign may have tasty fare but they have been caught out "Dual pricing" with their grilled meats.. Beware.. Don't support this unethical practice please..or if you simply can't do without it, get a Thai to order for you..

The resturant with the big yellow sign may have tasty fare but they have been caught out "Dual pricing" with their grilled meats.. Beware.. Don't support this unethical practice please..or if you simply can't do without it, get a Thai to order for you..

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up.

You are welcome. It is a shame they are doing this as the food is really tasty.. Avoid the grilled chicken though, dry as..

Have eaten twice at Hinlay Curry House in the last 2 weeks and food was good both times. Fare is Indian and though the place is restricted in size (4 tables only) the food is certainly tasty enough. There are no nan breads to be had but they do have rotee (direct from Rimping?) and prices are very much on the lean side. Curry dishes come in 200gm portions and those I recall are Hinlay (pork) 90baht, shrimp 80 baht, chicken madras and vindaloo 40baht, lamd 90 baht (didn't have second time there but first time was wonderful.). Rice is likely extra but didn't take note. Have tried all except the vindaloo and would rate lamb the best with the Hinlay very close second. There are other options also. They have beer (Heineken and Singha) and spirits.

Location is 100mts west of Floral condo or if your travelling north along Chareorat turn right opposite Brasserie then left (no choice) and first right which is the Floral condo road. Hinlay is 100 mts down on your right but its not very well lit and neither is the soi.

Recommended for those that enjoy a curry in simple surrounds.

No other customers dining at 7pm, reminded me of Duke's that way (except the service much quicker).

How many times have you eaten at the Duke's and have you eaten there recently?

It's always full at night when I go there and service is much faster and better than most other Western restaurants in Chiang Mai. :o

Have eaten twice at Hinlay Curry House in the last 2 weeks and food was good both times. Fare is Indian and though the place is restricted in size (4 tables only) the food is certainly tasty enough. There are no nan breads to be had but they do have rotee (direct from Rimping?) and prices are very much on the lean side. Curry dishes come in 200gm portions and those I recall are Hinlay (pork) 90baht, shrimp 80 baht, chicken madras and vindaloo 40baht, lamd 90 baht (didn't have second time there but first time was wonderful.). Rice is likely extra but didn't take note. Have tried all except the vindaloo and would rate lamb the best with the Hinlay very close second. There are other options also. They have beer (Heineken and Singha) and spirits.

Location is 100mts west of Floral condo or if your travelling north along Chareorat turn right opposite Brasserie then left (no choice) and first right which is the Floral condo road. Hinlay is 100 mts down on your right but its not very well lit and neither is the soi.

Recommended for those that enjoy a curry in simple surrounds.

Interesting, 'hinlay' is the Burmese word (meaning 'little curry') from which the northern Thai 'hang-lay' is derived. Is the resto Burmese-owned? Must try ...

No other customers dining at 7pm, reminded me of Duke's that way (except the service much quicker).

How many times have you eaten at the Duke's and have you eaten there recently?

It's always full at night when I go there and service is much faster and better than most other Western restaurants in Chiang Mai. :o

Only once and since they scored three strikes on my personal three main criteria - service, taste and correspondence between menu description and dish as actually served - I didn't think to go back. How recently was it? Whenever I made the post on the burger I tried there, somewhere in this thread.

Glad to hear Duke's is doing well, I guess I must have hit them on an off day. Unfortunately I don't have enough expendable time to invest in places that strike out the first visit. In fact I rarely eat in the same resto twice unless it really wowed me the first time, there are simply too many good places to eat in Chiang Mai! Plus I'm often out of town and trying restaurants elsewhere in Thailand; I eat out much more frequently when not in Chiang Mai since my wife is an accomplished Thai chef. :D When I do eat out, farang food is usually not my first preference either. So you can probably see that the chances of my trying Duke's again are pretty slim. The restaurant that gets most of my Chiang Mai business these days is Khao Tom Baht Diaw on Ratchadamnoen Rd. Afraid I'm hopelessly addicted to Thai!

For farang my first genre choice is usually Italian or Mediterranean, not American/British/etc. I'll admit to being a regular Mi Casa customer. Aside from those two restos (Mi Casa and Khao Tom Baht Diaw) I move from resto to resto a lot.

Salsa Kitchen - huge portions, not necessarily authentic but tasty. I've eaten there thrice, though not recently. I like the fact that their nachos individually prepared, as they normally are in Texas and in Mexico.

Went to a party catered by Le Spice yesterday, nice Indian and Thai food. I've been to the restaurant itself once, slow but friendly, smaller portions (which I prefer), good food and ambience.

Where and what kind of restaurant is Arcobaleno?

The Arcoba Leno is the successor to the old Babylon which used to be near CMU. Same cook, same waiter, same great Italian food and run by the late Renato Magni's daughter. Set up in the house where the Warm Up used to be several years ago.