Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have eaten twice at Hinlay Curry House in the last 2 weeks and food was good both times. Fare is Indian and though the place is restricted in size (4 tables only) the food is certainly tasty enough. There are no nan breads to be had but they do have rotee (direct from Rimping?) and prices are very much on the lean side. Curry dishes come in 200gm portions and those I recall are Hinlay (pork) 90baht, shrimp 80 baht, chicken madras and vindaloo 40baht, lamd 90 baht (didn't have second time there but first time was wonderful.). Rice is likely extra but didn't take note. Have tried all except the vindaloo and would rate lamb the best with the Hinlay very close second. There are other options also. They have beer (Heineken and Singha) and spirits.

Location is 100mts west of Floral condo or if your travelling north along Chareorat turn right opposite Brasserie then left (no choice) and first right which is the Floral condo road. Hinlay is 100 mts down on your right but its not very well lit and neither is the soi.

Recommended for those that enjoy a curry in simple surrounds.

Interesting, 'hinlay' is the Burmese word (meaning 'little curry') from which the northern Thai 'hang-lay' is derived. Is the resto Burmese-owned? Must try ...

I learnt of this restaurant first from these pages and what was previously reported was that it is run by a Thai lady who has a love of Indian food so no obvious Burmese connection. I'm back offshore but will enquire when next in town but maybe you wil be beat me there?

Could you tell us more about Mi Casa and Le Spice?

Mi Casa sounds like it might be worth going out of my way for, but it is most inconvieniently located for me.

Is Le Spice really the best Indian food in town as several posters have claimed? :o

Mi Casa is a cozy, slightly upscale (but very good value -- better food, IMO, than The House, for example and much less expensive) garden restaurant on the same soi as the Australia Centre, off Suthep Rd near CMU. Extensive of menu of Mediterranean dishes, eg Spanish, southern French, Italian, a lot of creativity going into every dish, mostly original recipes. I haven't liked every single thing I've ordered there, but probably at least 70% have been close to brilliant. Excellent wine list with an emphasis on fine Spanish wines. The owner is from the Spain's Basque country (where arguably all the most famous Spanish chefs have hailed from), very pleasant fellow. His wife is from HK and together they once owned (perhaps still own, I forget) a Mi Casa in HK that was very successful. They got tired of the HK rat race and moved to Chiang Mai, which they'd always loved. Nice ambience, refurbished house and large raised patio surrounded by huge old trees. Closed Monday I think.

Le Spice has the best Indian food I've tried in CM so far but I've yet to try Royal India and the other one someone mentioned recently, off Tha Phae I think? Far from the best Indian I've ever tasted but pretty good for ex-Bangkok. The owner seems like a really interesting fellow, a Thai national of Indian descent. Pleasantly modern Lanna/Indian decor. Not expensive. The Thai food is every bit as good as the Indian there.

No other customers dining at 7pm, reminded me of Duke's that way (except the service much quicker).

How many times have you eaten at the Duke's and have you eaten there recently?

It's always full at night when I go there and service is much faster and better than most other Western restaurants in Chiang Mai. :o

i agree for me The Dukes is the best service and food in chiang-mai, but each to there own

We had pizzas at the Mr. Chan and Miss Pauline's on Canal Road last night: one with funghi and one with funghi and mushrooms. The crust was the bread type. It was good.

We had pizza and pasta at Pom Pui about a week ago. There were 4 of us. The pizza crust was the cracker type. We were not impressed with the food. Actually, I think that was the worse pasta I've ever had - gummy... On top of that I thought our waitress had an "attitude".

No other customers dining at 7pm, reminded me of Duke's that way (except the service much quicker).

How many times have you eaten at the Duke's and have you eaten there recently?

It's always full at night when I go there and service is much faster and better than most other Western restaurants in Chiang Mai. :o

i agree for me The Dukes is the best service and food in chiang-mai, but each to there own

Normally if I am searching for a steak I will visit Ron at the CM Saloon depending on a) how crowded it is or :D his mood at the time. Until last Saturday night I had never eaten at Dukes, not sure why but I had heard that a) the food was ordinary :D the food was expensive and c) the owner was an ######.

Ok a) I had the sirloin and half rack of ribs (item 91 on them menu) and it was without a doubt a beatifully prepared meal. I like my steak bleeding on the inside and scorched on the outside (rare to blue) and they did it to perfection.

:D the food is not cheap but definitely worth the money. I am happy to pay for value and I think this was good value

c) the proprietor did a walk around greeting guests and seemed to be pleasant.

I have read a few postings re Dukes that the size of the meals are too small - if that is correct then I hate to see what they were like before. I am a fairly big guy but there was no way I could finish all my meal. The waitress was fairly distressed thinking I didn't like it but was relieved when I explained it was a case of eyes bigger than stomach.

A couple of side observations:

a) glass of iced water as soon as I arrived - typical American style and appreciated

:D my beer was cold as a mother in law's kiss and served in an iced glass - thanks

c) the bread was a notch above the usual fare

d) I had the Greek salad with my meal and didn't realise you need to ask (for additional cost) the feta and olives - what the? If it doesn't have these bits then it is just a green salad? Next time I'll ask for them but small trap for the unwary

e) What is it with you Americans and baked beans? Beans should be served on toast with eggs, bacon, and sausage not microwaved in plastic bowl and stuck between the steak and the ribs. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

f) the menu looked interesting beyond the usual steak fare and I am looking forward to checking out some of the things like the swordfish

So all up I was pleasantly surprised and pleased I went there, and will go back.

d) I had the Greek salad with my meal and didn't realise you need to ask (for additional cost) the feta and olives - what the? If it doesn't have these bits then it is just a green salad? Next time I'll ask for them but small trap for the unwary

I have a feeling that your waitperson made some kind of mistake. I have always had plenty of feta and olives on my Greek salads at Dukes and I didn't ask for them seperately. The price for the Greek salad is much lower than other establishments as well. :o

I have a feeling that your waitperson made some kind of mistake. I have always had plenty of feta and olives on my Greek salads at Dukes and I didn't ask for them seperately. The price for the Greek salad is much lower than other establishments as well. :o

Real Greek olives or the generic cardboard-tasting canned black olives? The real thing might lure me back .... :D

I don't know, but I have to wonder how common real Greek olives are in medium priced restaurants in Chiang Mai. I am more concerned about the taste of the feta cheese.

I know that the Duke's Greek salad was 70 baht last time I ordered it and was bigger and tasted better than other places that charge around 120 baht - which seems to be around the going rate - so I thought that it was a great deal.

I think it was 75B, At the table next to me the lady had a Greek salad - main serving size and it was very impressive. The guy with her had a cheese burger which I have to say looked a better deal than at the CM saloon.

I will go back and try a few other things but I have to say I was genuinely surprised and pleased. Over the years in this place I have realised that there is an aweful lot of Bul**it about people and places that are just trying to get ahead.

I really love Greek salad and I was surprised to even see it on the menu. I usually make my own from the supplies sourced just down the road at the Rimping Supermarket which usually have genuine Kalamata olives and feta which hasn't become fetid ;-)

Still didn't make it up to Tuskers which was my intended venue for the night but they seem to be, at this time at least oriented to "bar snacks" not main meals.

c) the owner was an ######.

I think that The Dukes guy is very nice compared with the ###### in the CM Saloon. IMHO, of course.

Agree with Crow Boy, lotta BS floating around here regarding restos, based on friendships with the owners.

For me food and service take precedence over the personality of the owner. In fact at neither Duke's nor CM Saloon have I had any interaction at all with the owners. I did spot the Saloon chap sitting at the bar once, seemed harmless to me!

That said, for owner personality, food and service, I'll take Mi Casa over any other western resto I've yet tried in CM though ... :o

I will go back and try a few other things but I have to say I was genuinely surprised and pleased. Over the years in this place I have realised that there is an aweful lot of Bul**it about people and places that are just trying to get ahead.

I can tell you from experience that competitors have spread vicious rumors about me - year after year - to dissuade people from shopping at my stores.

The latest one is that my businesses are not really making money, but are a front for heroin sales. One of my competitors has told this repeatedly to a friend of mine who owns a restaurant that I go to and he passed it on to me. He is lucky that I haven't charged him with libel.

Another guy that used to be in the same business has been spreading tall tales for years, but most people realize that he is bitter about losing his shop. Luckily, I think that local expats have realized that someone in the same business might not be worth listening to and let it go in one ear and out the other. Anyway, no one seems to believe this cr*p and, of course, it is all malarkey.

The point is to be very careful about believing rumors because you don't know who started them or why. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Real Greek olives or the generic cardboard-tasting canned black olives? The real thing might lure me back .... :D

Dave says that they are not canned - that they are genuine Kalamata olives - but he is not sure if they are from Greece as an Italian guy imports them, however they are good quality olives.

He also said that he thinks that Crowboy probably had the free side salad with his meal with Greek dressing -not a Greek salad - and that maybe his server didn't realize what he actually wanted. Feta cheese and olives come with the Greek salad at no extra cost.

Dave says that they are not canned - that they are genuine Kalamata olives - but he is not sure if they are from Greece as an Italian guy imports them, however they are good quality olives.

He also said that he thinks that Crowboy probably had the free side salad with his meal with Greek dressing -not a Greek salad - and that maybe his server didn't realize what he actually wanted. Feta cheese and olives come with the Greek salad at no extra cost.

Tried the Greek salad at Duke's today. They were not Kalamata olives, nor Greek olives of any type I'm familiar with. Seemed like generic canned or bottled black olives of the cheapest variety, salty but no flavour (at least not today; perhaps they ran out of Kalamatas). I'm the opposite from UG, believing the olives to be more important than the feta since most feta I've had in CM has been acceptable. On that note, the feta cheese on this Greek salad was so mild it tasted more like cottage cheese (but it did look like feta!). Not sure if it was made with sheep's milk, would guess it was not. I've had better feta at other 'medium-priced' restos in chiang mai, better olives, too, eg at Jerusalem Falafel. The lettuce was pure Romaine, usually reserved for Caesar salads. Of course the 'Greek salad' as served at most restos outside Greece aren't very Greek (I'd like to try Zorba's to see what they have; most true Greek salads contain no lettuce, rather cucumbers, peppers, feta, olives and tomatoes) , so I realise the Duke's is just an American interpretation. 75B. Definitely the weak point of our meal, couldn't finish it. On to the better stuff ...

I also ordered a small pizza (145B I think?), which was bigger than I expected and not bad at all though far from the best I've had in Thailand (and also far from the worst). Very similar in taste to what you get at Paradise (if you get 'em fresh rather than hours after they were made), except with a thinner crust (an improvement, since the kind of dough both places make tends to be a bit too chewy so thinner is better). Sauce was full of oregano -- I'd prefer to add my own -- but was just good enough. I had it topped with grilled eggplant and jalapenos, and they were added in perfect proportions, neither too little nor too much, kudos there.

My companion had spaghetti with meatballs, nothing to write home about (pasta could've been more carefully cooked; nowhere close to al dente), very American rather than Italian style (ie, tasted bottled rather than fresh) but tasty nonetheless. 3 huge meatballs. The focaccia that came with her order was baked pizza dough, with none of the rosemary and other herbs normally associated with focaccia (which is basically the same dough, with herbs and olive oile added, and sometimes cheese as well). She complained that the focaccia hadn't been warmed and was slightly stale; I tasted and agreed, but we could eat it. The Duke's isn't an Italian or Greek restaurant so one can't complain much about authenticity but warm, fresh bread would be welcome at any resto, esp one owned by a farang.

Service was reasonably paced, no complaints there. This time I had a more thorough look at the menu; prices struck me as a bit high, overall, considering the quality of the ingredients used (judging from what I ordered on two visits thus far, nothing of high quality, eg inferior olives & cheese). We did enjoy the lunch, and were lucky to find parking ...

I don't know if this one's been mentioned or not.

Every week or so for the past few years eat at the Taiwan Restaurant (about 100 meters west of Kad Suan Kaew on opposite side of the street between Lemon Tree and Pizza place) They have absolutely the best noodles and gyoza (filled dumplings) in Chiang Mai. The soup there is very good as well, but I almost always have the "noodles with soy bean ketchup" and the fried gyoza (steamed also available). They have vinegar/soy/chile/ sesame oil condiments you mix together for dipping and topping noodles . The best!

Here's the thing, though. The place is absolutely filthy. DO NOT GO IN THE BACK ROOM!. Enjoy!

Has anyone tried the "Hotpot" places that are around. The latest one is up on the 4th floor of Airport plaza. I have been to its sister restaurant at Central shopping Plaza. For a set fee, its all you can eat, that includes the Sushi bar.

Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. I cannot remember beer is served there or not, but for the cost I thought it was very good value, just try to get there before the Thai office workers lunch break.

Every week or so for the past few years eat at the Taiwan Restaurant (about 100 meters west of Kad Suan Kaew on opposite side of the street between Lemon Tree and Pizza place) . . . .

Here's the thing, though. The place is absolutely filthy. DO NOT GO IN THE BACK ROOM!. Enjoy!

No connection, I would hope, but I have gone to the toilet in the back room frequently. I mean, that's where it is, so what is one to do?

Food there is most tasty, I have to agree.

UG thanks for the information - appreciated. I am guessing that the salad which was on a side plate was part of the meal. I don't think there was a confusion between the waitress and myself because we were both speaking in Thai and I asked her what the Thai word for Fetta was (Fetta) and olives (don ma gauk) I still think the meal was very good and definitely will go back - also if it had been a full size Greek Salad plus the steak/rib combo then I would still be there trying to finish it.

c) the owner was an ######.

I think that The Dukes guy is very nice compared with the ###### in the CM Saloon. IMHO, of course.

Agree with Crow Boy, lotta BS floating around here regarding restos, based on friendships with the owners.

For me food and service take precedence over the personality of the owner. In fact at neither Duke's nor CM Saloon have I had any interaction at all with the owners. I did spot the Saloon chap sitting at the bar once, seemed harmless to me!

Ron who is the owner of CM Saloon is a) American and :o Texan so he can be either be a gernuinely nice guy or a total ar%^hole depending on his mood at that particlular moment. On the night I went to Dukes I had walked into CM and sat down - Ron gave me a 30second bitch about all the local expats and then said "well are you going to stand there, order a drink, or f*** Off?" I left and was going to the Red Lion but decided to continue to the Dukes. Good choice it was too and I am sure next time I see Ron he will be back to being a nice guy.

Ron is a good business man and has made the CM Saloon a great success so apparently he can afford to ditch the expat market for visitors but I still get to choose where I eat.

In Ron's favor, I stop and talk with him all of the time on my way back in town from the Duke's - which he knows -and he is always pleasant and never demands that I buy anything, or even suggests it.

The one time he was short with me, I had woken him up early in the morning after he had been working all night to ask him a question and he apologized to me for it the next time we talked. To me, it takes a pretty big man to apologize when I was somewhat to blame anyway and am an infrequent customer on top of that. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sure, Ron can be moody, and who can't. At least he is genuine. His food is generally good. His burgers are far better than the Mike's par-boiled crap, and he has some decent Tex/Mex available. I think The Duke's is way overrated.

In Ron's favor, I stop and talk with him all of the time on my way back in town from the Duke's - which he knows -and he is always pleasant and never demands that I buy anything, or even suggests it.

The one time he was short with me, I had woken him up early in the morning after he had been working all night to ask him a question and he apologized to me for it the next time we talked. To me, it takes a pretty big man to apologize when I was somewhat to blame anyway and am an infrequent customer on top of that. :o

Sure, Ron can be moody, and who can't. At least he is genuine. His food is generally good. His burgers are far better than the Mike's par-boiled crap, and he has some decent Tex/Mex available. I think The Duke's is way overrated.

I like Ron because as I already wrote he is genuine and most definitely up front. I think he has done an excellent job on the Saloon from when he took it over. Any of you guys remember what it was like before? The most agressive bunch of Lady Boys in CM used to camp (sorry) out front and hassle everyone. Between them and the cast offs from the Arcade bar strip, it was not one of CMs most salubrious establishments.

But it is my choice when and where I spend my hard earned, I will eat at Ron's (Saloon) but have also added Dave's (the Duke) to my list. I don't come into CM city that much and don't often eat western food so am not a great customer for any place. That said in MY opinion I like the food at the Duke's better for variety, presentation, and taste. When Ron took the second restaurant it looked like a great idea because of the larger size and better seating but I have eaten there twice and it has been a train wreck on both occasions. Getting meals for six people at one table, in three batches, separated by 40 minutes is beyond a joke.

One of the best things about the Duke's is all the nightly specials.

I find in most restaurants that I get bored of the menu very quickly and don't want to go very often anymore. At the Duke's there are many excellent specials and he tries new ones fairly often, so I never know what I am going to eat until I get there.

If I am not interested in the 3 or 4 specials, then I order my favorites from the menu and never get bored.

I understand that when the new Duke's opens in the night bazaar next month, the real Duke will actually be there to meet customers. He is the same guy that bankrolled me when I first started in business. A man of wealth and taste! :o

I find in most restaurants that I get bored of the menu very quickly and don't want to go very often anymore. At the Duke's there are many excellent specials and he tries new ones fairly often, so I never know what I am going to eat until I get there.

If I am not interested in the 3 or 4 specials, then I order my favorites from the menu and never get bored.

I understand that when the new Duke's opens in the night bazaar next month, the real Duke will actually be there to meet customers. He is the same guy that bankrolled me when I first started in business. A man of wealth and taste! :o

There used to be a good place in Patpong 30+ years ago called Duke's. Is it the same guy?

I like Ron because as I already wrote he is genuine and most definitely up front. I think he has done an excellent job on the Saloon from when he took it over. Any of you guys remember what it was like before? The most agressive bunch of Lady Boys in CM used to camp (sorry) out front and hassle everyone. Between them and the cast offs from the Arcade bar strip, it was not one of CMs most salubrious establishments.

But it is my choice when and where I spend my hard earned, I will eat at Ron's (Saloon) but have also added Dave's (the Duke) to my list. I don't come into CM city that much and don't often eat western food so am not a great customer for any place. That said in MY opinion I like the food at the Duke's better for variety, presentation, and taste. When Ron took the second restaurant it looked like a great idea because of the larger size and better seating but I have eaten there twice and it has been a train wreck on both occasions. Getting meals for six people at one table, in three batches, separated by 40 minutes is beyond a joke.

Ambience-wise, the two places are not really comparable at all. The Saloon is a bar with food service (which sounds like it has gone downhill since I last ate there, sorry to hear it if true), while the Duke's is an attempt at a proper restaurant. I always felt the food was more professionally prepared at the Saloon, nonetheless. That may have changed, guess I'm due another CM Saloon visit. That will have to wait till the next time I want American-style food, which won't be anytime soon, assuredly. :D

Do you know where in the night bazaar? Would be a good move.

There used to be a good place in Patpong 30+ years ago called Duke's. Is it the same guy?

No, but David used to own the American restaurant on Thapae Road in Chiang Mai about 15 years ago.

IMHO it was Chiang Mai's first good Farang restaurant ( other than Picolla Roma which was WAY too expensive).

Do you know where in the night bazaar? Would be a good move.

To the right of McDonald's. Ground floor and 1st floor (1st and second floor to Americans).

VERY expensive rent!