Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried the new location for the Pasta Cafe (Soi 5, Nimanhemin) a couple of times and have to revise my previously unfavourable opinion based on the old location on Nimanhemin itself.

I've enjoyed meals at the new one, which is much more spacious and inviting than the original 'hobby' resto. Good pastas and salads. Not as good a Da Giorgio (best in town for my tastes) but considerably cheaper and more relaxed, not as cheap as Italian Lang Mo but a tad better quality-wise and a step up atmosphere-wise - tho I quite like the casual atmosphere at Lang Mo for everyday dining.

Also there's a newish place selling pizza by the slice late nights, near the Rasta Cafe/Heaven Beach, etc. Not the best pizza around by a long shot (I haven't found any Chiang Mai pizzas to be all that special), but edible and convenient for that area.

Please add your suggestions.

The Riverside. get there early before 8pm or you will wait a very long time. Fantasitic local food over looking the river. They also have a barge that goes out on the river to have your diner..live music also .very inexpensive....enjoy!!!

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

The Dukes is just a bargain basement version of the fillmore east. Stick with the fillmore if you want quality.

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

The Dukes is just a bargain basement version of the fillmore east. Stick with the fillmore if you want quality.

Gotta disagree. The Fillmore has been a serious disappointment every time I have been there. Three times now. I took friends there that were visiting, and I was very embarrassed. The service was atrocious. My buddy left 3/4 of his meal on the plate. Myself and two friends all feel that the Dukes is the best of that type of food going in Chiang Mai. The Dukes has had a good crowd every time I have been there. Fillmore has been empty every time.

The Duke's.......very good for being this far east of the states. Mike's burgers are probably better but the duke's has a better selection of real food. Mike's burgers are excellent, the dogs are good but kindof puny (compared to normal coney island size doggers), the cheesesteak is very good as well as Mike's chili and onion rings.

For farang food burgers and simple items

1)Mike's

2)The Duke's

For thai food, try palaad tawanron at the top of doi suthep behind chiang mai university. Spectacular views, great food, live band that plays acoustical type stuff and walks around the tables while playing/singing and the place is always packed so go early.

Another great thai place is the Come Inn House off superhighway, down the soi right next to the hospital across from Tarin Hotel. Hard to find but worth the effort. Upscale atmosphere but reasonable prices.

My picks on Thai food

1)Palaad Tawanron

2) Come Inn House

:o:D

The Duke's.......very good for being this far east of the states.  Mike's burgers are probably better but the duke's has a better selection of real food.  Mike's burgers are excellent, the dogs are good but kindof puny (compared to normal coney island size doggers), the cheesesteak is very good as well as Mike's chili and onion rings. 

For farang food burgers and simple items

1)Mike's

2)The Duke's

For thai food, try palaad tawanron at the top of doi suthep behind chiang mai university.  Spectacular views, great food, live band that plays acoustical type stuff and walks around the tables while playing/singing and the place is always packed so go early.

Another great thai place is the Come Inn House off superhighway, down the soi right next to the hospital across from Tarin Hotel.  Hard to find but worth the effort.  Upscale atmosphere but reasonable prices.

My picks on Thai food

1)Palaad Tawanron

2) Come Inn House

:o  :D

I'll take Chiangmai Saloon's burgers over Mike's or Duke's any day. Is that real beef at Mike's? Tastes more like shredded and compressed cardboard. The non-beef components of the burger are good though.

And Piccola Roma has better Italian than Giorgio's? I have a friend from Torino, Italy, who would beg to differ.

I'll take Chiangmai Saloon's burgers over Mike's or Duke's any day. Is that real beef at Mike's? Tastes more like shredded and compressed cardboard. The non-beef components of the burger are good though.

And Piccola Roma has better Italian than Giorgio's? I have a friend from Torino, Italy, who would beg to differ.

His name wouldn't be Giorgio by any chance? :o

Tasty assemblage at Mike's but the beef is pretty tasteless. Much better, IMO, are the seven different kinds of grilled burgers at Chiangmai Saloon. Give 'em a try if you haven't.

Location of the Saloon?

And Moon Muang Soi 9 where the Indian restaurant is located? I checked out Chanchao's linked photo page (127836) but only 3 of the 9 photos come up...

Thanks

Edited by Dustoff

I went to Gohan Tei Restaurant on Siam TV Plaza soi and was greeted by cement floors, no air conditioning and decor just a hair better than a roadside establishment.

Will try it for cheap Japanese food when the weather cools and advise. I question eating sush there?

I went to Gohan Tei Restaurant on Siam TV Plaza soi and was greeted by cement floors, no air conditioning and decor just a hair better than a roadside establishment.

Will try it for cheap Japanese food when the weather cools and advise.  I question eating sush there?

I second that!!

It didnt come off as a place that I would eat sushi at!

but I also will try in the cool season

Never judge a book by its cover

Except if you are going to eat raw !!!

Will try it for cheap Japanese food when the weather cools and advise.  I question eating sush there?

I eat there regularly and havent had any stomach problems from their food so far - the fish seems fresh and safe enough.

As for favourites: The salmon nigiri and the gyozas.

His name wouldn't be Giorgio by any chance? :o

His name's Luca, and he's rather well-known photographer with impeccable taste in most cuisines (not to mention art, design and architecture). When I was in Italy last year he steered me towards a rural family restaurant in the Piemonte that turned out to be the best dining experience I had the entire three weeks I was in the country.

Tasty assemblage at Mike's but the beef is pretty tasteless. Much better, IMO, are the seven different kinds of grilled burgers at Chiangmai Saloon. Give 'em a try if you haven't.

Location of the Saloon?

And Moon Muang Soi 9 where the Indian restaurant is located? I checked out Chanchao's linked photo page (127836) but only 3 of the 9 photos come up...

Thanks

Chiangmai Saloon is on Loi Kroh Rd, a couple blocks west of the Night Bazaar, on the south side of the road. It's easy to miss, the entry is small though it's sizeable enough inside. You can view the menu at: saloon menu. There's also a map on the website, I'll try to paste it below.

I'm very impressed with the overall quality of their menu. I'm not really a big fan of American-style cuisine, eg, burgers, etc, but I do dig in on occasion, and I don't think anyone else does it quite as well, in Chiang Mai anyway, as the Saloon.

As for the Indian place on Soi 9 Moon Muang: If you're a fan of good Indian cuisine, I think you'll be disappointed. All the dishes taste the same or similar, same three spices in each (with a few exceptions, which are equally bland). Most of the dishes here are cooked up in the morning and sit in pots all day (often pulled out of the fridge for reheating when a customer orders), losing all semblance of freshness.

The best subcontinental cuisine I've found thus far in town is at Arabia, in the Anusarn Night Market. The flavours at Arabia are fresh, the way they should be. I'd love to see Dosa King or India Hut in Bangkok open a branch in CM.

map.gif

Best veggie restuarant & my overall favorite in Chiang Mai - Khun Churn on Nimmanhemind Soi7. They've got a dynamite lunch buffet for 60 baht, nice setting & in the evenings there's a chance of decent music too.

I think a good place to eat is the peak pool bar and restaurant the Thai food is fantastic and at thai prices Then you have the assortment of pies with mash and peas all the pies are made localy by an expat Brit who also supplies to rim ping supermarket

Can highly recommend The Lemon Tree on Huay Kaew Road across from Central for Thai and Thai seafood (better than Anusan Market IMHO). Extensive menu and other good stuff on wall menu (which is only in Thai). Popular for take out as well as dine in and always a couple expats seen. Very fast service and quality much above food stall fare but price is very reasonable. Thanks to Chanchao for writing it up or would not have found it.

Can also highly recommend the sticky rice/fried pork sold in the old Walorose Market. Take some back to hotel and you can forget going out to eat.

Chiangmai Saloon is on Loi Kroh Rd, a couple blocks west of the Night Bazaar, on the south side of the road. It's easy to miss, the entry is small though it's sizeable enough inside. You can view the menu at:

The best subcontinental cuisine I've found thus far in town is at Arabia, in the Anusarn Night Market.

EXCELLENT response and advice, Sabaijai and you are right-on!

I/we tend to go for the middle of the road places - seeking a little class above a street vendor with the daily dose of exhaust, filth and flyshit being deposited on their food and dinner at the Hyatt. Being mostly vegetarian (she totally, me somewhat), I like the J-food stalls but there is something about the choking sewer odors in their locations that makes it impossible for me to enjoy my lunch/dinner.

After over four years here, we have been fortunate to have discovered several favorite places but are always open to something new.

The old German Consulate's place on the west side of Canal Road is very classy but quite reasonable.

Ban Wang Tan village restaurant is one of our all-time favorites but can be difficult to find for a newbie to CM; very clean olympic-sized pool, live music, swans cruising the private lake, membership promotions, very reasonable pricing - so cool that we are trying to buy a home there. The village office regularly comes thru with dog-catcher trucks to collect and carry away the obnoxious and aggressive strays and out-of-control ankle-biters (which as most of you have already discovered is a REAL problem in the Land of Smiles..)...

Great thread and I hope to contribute and learn more as we continue to share our appreciation for da kine ono grinds (Hawaiian for great food)!

But no get fat, ya...?

da Dustoff

Edited by Dustoff

Can highly recommend The Lemon Tree on Huay Kaew Road across from Central for Thai and Thai seafood (better than Anusan Market IMHO).  Extensive menu and other good stuff on wall menu (which is only in Thai).  Popular for take out as well as dine in and always a couple expats seen.  Very fast service and quality much above food stall fare but price is very reasonable.  Thanks to Chanchao for writing it up or would not have found it.

Can also highly recommend the sticky rice/fried pork sold in the old Walorose Market.  Take some back to hotel and you can forget going out to eat.

The Lemon Tree has a 2nd branch inside CMU's International Centre. I believe the prices are a little lower, and they're open for bkfst (I don't think the Huay Kaew branch is open for bkfst, but I could be wrong). The specials menu on the wall, which as lopburi3 mentioned, is in Thai only, is always your best bet at the Lemon Tree. I've been disappointed with some of the 'non-special' dishes on the English-Thai menu.

I cant believe you guys are complaining about the decor at Gohan Tei, I guess this forum is a little too "high-so" for me.

The sushi there is excellent and if you are afraid of its quality I can assure you the chef buys it at the same places the other 4star Japaense places do because he has worked for those places for many years himself.

If you are paranoid about it ,order the salmon because this is never served "raw", since it is a fresh water fish.

Actually nevermind. That place should just be left the local secret for expat Japanese and "in the know" locals...

Edited by Mr.StickyRice

MrStickyRice: Relax, both comments regarding Gohan Tei were not critical at all, just comments regarding how the decor compared to Fuji or other "decor" restaurants.

I have a real problem in dealing with mid-day temperatures this time of year and rarely go out to dinner, so that was the main reason I did not eat there the day I found it.

Having lived in Japan during the occupation when the Japanese were very poor, I am well aware that cleanliness has nothing to do with decor.

Having been virtually poisoned in high decor restaurants, I know it is the quality of the food served that controls in this area.

I certainly intend to patronize Gohan Tei, as my Thai is from Issan, and I am sure the ambiance of Gohan Tei is excellent or you wouldn't have reccommended it.

I learned a long time ago that sometimes your kindness in letting out "secret restaurants" ultimately ruin them when they become so busy they loose their appeal. Hopefully, this will not happend to Gohan Tei before I get a chance to share your enthusiasm for the place.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I want to put in another of those night time food stalls.

Right down the street from McCormick hospital on the other side of street. Thre is a food vender who along with his wife sells the best Pad Thai. It is now 15 bahd for the meal. He has been doing this here in this spot for years and always great.

• 2 weeks later...

~

We would not agree with recommending Palaad Tawanron (on the hill behind CM Univ). Four for dinner all agreed that the place, on a scale of 1-10, gets a max of four and 2 of those are for the view. Their service rates a flat zero.

My fresh water prawns were raw in the middle, a recook took half an hour and I have been on the toilet four times in the last two hours this morning. Three of our dishes were taken to the wrong tables where they were dabbled with and tasted before we got them, two of the five dishes we ordered were either wrong or belonged to someone else and it was never straightened out; the Tom Yum Kung was decent (even tho it was one of the ones tasted by other customers before we got it) but the rest of the food was both boring and expensive. 1200 baht for four and one of us only had a dish of mushrooms and we all drank either iced tea or coconut water.

Nice place tho with a good overlook of CM, decent music but we had to ask them to turn it down a couple of times which we have never done before even here in LOUD Thailand. We may return during the day just for liquid refreshment and the view but will not be returning for a meal.

:o

~

We would not agree with recommending Palaad Tawanron (on the hill behind CM Univ). Four for dinner all agreed that the place, on a scale of 1-10, gets a max of four and 2 of those are for the view.  Their service rates a flat zero.

My fresh water prawns were raw in the middle, a recook took half an hour and I have been on the toilet four times in the last two hours this morning. Three of our dishes were taken to the wrong tables where they were dabbled with and tasted before we got them,  two of the five dishes we ordered were either wrong or belonged to someone else and it was never straightened out; the Tom Yum Kung was decent (even tho it was one of the ones tasted by other customers before we got it) but the rest of the food was both boring and expensive.  1200 baht for four and one of us only had a dish of mushrooms and we all drank either iced tea or coconut water.

Nice place tho with a good overlook of CM, decent music but we had to ask them to turn it down a couple of times which we have never done before even here in LOUD Thailand. We may return during the day just for liquid refreshment and the view but will not be returning for a meal.

It is an overhyped place with overly expensive prices for what you get. One of the dishes we ordered was pumpkin sprouts stir-fried in Oyster sauce (80 baht), and there were 5 sprouts altogether...

The food we ordered did taste good (we had the German pig's leg with sauerkraut, Gaeng Som with cha om and prawns, and pumpkin sprouts in oyster sauce) but I have had better for half that price. The place is still packed with people during the weekends but my guess is this will change very soon, as people are not very likely to return after they have tried it once. The hype will die quickly.

I thought the music was the same tired American commercial folk crap they try to push everywhere else (take me home country roads, hotel california, etc.). It doesnt do it for me at all - the atmosphere would have been much better with proper Northern Thai or acoustic Pheua Chiwit songs.

~

We would not agree with recommending Palaad Tawanron (on the hill behind CM Univ). Four for dinner all agreed that the place, on a scale of 1-10, gets a max of four and 2 of those are for the view.  Their service rates a flat zero.

My fresh water prawns were raw in the middle, a recook took half an hour and I have been on the toilet four times in the last two hours this morning. Three of our dishes were taken to the wrong tables where they were dabbled with and tasted before we got them,  two of the five dishes we ordered were either wrong or belonged to someone else and it was never straightened out; the Tom Yum Kung was decent (even tho it was one of the ones tasted by other customers before we got it) but the rest of the food was both boring and expensive.  1200 baht for four and one of us only had a dish of mushrooms and we all drank either iced tea or coconut water.

It is an overhyped place with overly expensive prices for what you get. One of the dishes we ordered was pumpkin sprouts stir-fried in Oyster sauce (80 baht), and there were 5 sprouts altogether...

The food we ordered did taste good (we had the German pig's leg with sauerkraut, Gaeng Som with cha om and prawns, and pumpkin sprouts in oyster sauce) but I have had better for half that price. The place is still packed with people during the weekends but my guess is this will change very soon, as people are not very likely to return after they have tried it once. The hype will die quickly.

I thought the music was the same tired American commercial folk crap they try to push everywhere else (take me home country roads, hotel california, etc.). It doesnt do it for me at all - the atmosphere would have been much better with proper Northern Thai or acoustic Pheua Chiwit songs.

Sorry guys you've got it all wrong! See this extract from the latest City Life:

"But, its (Palaad Tawanron) authentic Thai food and service are also outstanding and keep people revisiting the place over and over again. To complement your romantic dinner there are the serenading musicians who sing love ballads at your table."

I rest my case.

PS Could it be (God forbid!) that City Life and Chiang Mai Mail use the same 'Dinning-Out' Team? Makes me shudder at the thought. :D

Unlike the west, restaurant write ups in Thailand are "puff" pieces done for advertisement purposes. Restaurant critics are not used in this regard.

Does anyone know what the "Phucom Manor" is going to be. It is across the canal from La Casa, north of the intersection of 121 (canal road) and Huay Kaew rodads, 1000 meters from Dunkin Donuts?

Very expensive and impressive structure, very curious. They seem in no hurry to open. One wonders about their choice of location, among a lot of CMU style new apartment buildings.

If you regularly follow restaurant critiques that you read in magazines where the restaurant in question is a regular advertiser I am sure you are a real connoisseur.

Wow! Looks like my sarcasm was too well disguised, or am I not sensitive enough to your sensitivities? For the record, I'm on your side.

I've eaten at Palat Tawaron five or six times, never had anything but good service and good food. However I haven't been there in the last six weeks or so, perhaps it has taken a dive.

One thing I would never do, though, is condemn a place after only a single visit. I've got diarrhea from eating at perhaps a dozen different restos in Chiang Mai at one time or another, particularly in the hot season - not enough to turn me away (unless it happened repeatedly!).

Have to agree about the music, although the Thai clientele seems to like it. Could it be they're bored with northern Thai and phleng pheua chiwit?