Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

Can anyone help explain exactly where Buonisimo is? its 200 ++ kms between Cm and CR. help help.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Can anyone help explain exactly where Buonisimo is? its 200 ++ kms between Cm and CR. help help.

It's actually on Mae Jo road, West side, halfway between the Super hiway and the Middle ring road. Before the Caltex station.

Unlike the west, restaurant write ups in Thailand are "puff" pieces done for advertisement purposes.  Restaurant critics are not used in this regard.

Does anyone know what the "Phucom Manor" is going to be.  It is across the canal from La Casa, north of the intersection of  121 (canal road) and Huay Kaew rodads, 1000 meters from Dunkin Donuts?

Very expensive and impressive structure, very curious.  They seem in no hurry to open.  One wonders about their choice of location, among a lot of CMU style new apartment buildings.

Spot on with the first point though I think if you look at free press in 'the west', it's not much different. Advertising is what floats free mags. I include The Chiangmai Mule as free press as surely no one in their right mind would pay 25b for it.

The Phucome Manor is going to be a conference centre. Same owner as the hotel. He's owned the land for years and never known what to do with it, but with Chairman Maew spouting off about all the business that is (not) heading Chiang Mai's way, he thought he'd try to cash in. The faux-Lanna style is down to the whim of one of his mia-nois.

Expect the building to be idle 90% of the time, and the owner not to care in the slightest. he must almost be as rich as Ajarn!

Edited by polecat

Several years ago I was taken to a lovely upscale Thai restaurant for my birthday. I would like to go back, but can’t remember the name or exact location.

As I recall, we drove South on the Chiang Mai – Lamphun road. Not far south of the airport road intersection, we turned right on a soi. I remember sitting next to a pond while eating in stylish Thai décor.

Anyone know the place, and how to get there?

Several years ago I was taken to a lovely upscale Thai restaurant for my birthday.  I would like to go back, but can’t remember the name or exact location. 

As I recall, we drove South on the Chiang Mai – Lamphun road.  Not far south of the airport road intersection, we turned right on a soi.  I remember sitting next to a pond while eating in stylish Thai décor.

~

Sounds like the Raintree. About 3 kms or so south of the airport on Hang Dong road, right behind World Club. There was a right turn just before the Samong Road and down the bumpy soi a ways..?

We used to go there frequently - jungle kinda decor like you were entering Disneyland, a pond with swans, good food...?

Alas, the last time we went there, there was no sign of it. Obviously closed for good...

However, there is an alternative! Even closer to the airport and on the East side of Hang Dong road just south of the new "counting the seconds" traffic light is Ban Wang Tan , a gated community with a restaurant that easily surpasses the Raintree. Better food/atmosphere, live music, bigger pond with fountains, great service. The problem is that you almost have to take a tuk-tuk because the roads into it (actually only two) are a bit of a maze. We like the community and the restaurant (not to mention the very clean olympic-size pool) so much that we are now in the process of buying a home there. So far, after over four years here, it is my favorite restaurant in CM...

If interested, let me know and I will draw/scan a map and give detailed directions.

da Dustoff

Edited by Dustoff

Several years ago I was taken to a lovely upscale Thai restaurant for my birthday.  I would like to go back, but can’t remember the name or exact location. 

As I recall, we drove South on the Chiang Mai – Lamphun road.  Not far south of the airport road intersection, we turned right on a soi.  I remember sitting next to a pond while eating in stylish Thai décor.

~

Sounds like the Raintree. About 3 kms or so south of the airport on Hang Dong road, right behind World Club. There was a right turn just before the Samong Road and down the bumpy soi a ways...

We used to go there frequently - jungle kinda decor like you were entering Disneyland, a pond with swans, good food...

Alas, the last time we went there, there was no sign of it. Obviously closed for good...

However, there is an alternative! Even closer to the airport and on the East side of Hang Dong road just south of the new "counting the seconds" traffic light is Ban Wang Tan , a gated community with a restaurant that easily surpasses the Raintree. Better food/atmosphere, live music, bigger pond with fountains, great service. The problem is that you almost have to take a tuk-tuk because the roads into it (actually only two) are a bit of a maze. We like the community and the restaurant (not to mention the very clean olympic-size pool) so much that we are now in the process of buying a home there. So far, after over four years here, it is my favorite restaurant in CM...

If interested, let me know and I will draw/scan a map and give detailed directions.

da Dustoff

No, this was definitely off the CM-Lamphun road, not the Hang Dong road. If you wouldn't mind posting a map Ban Wang Tan, I'd appreciate it. Sounds good!

Sawai Riang.

But it's gone downhill a bit.. Even though its easier to get there now, as there's a new entrance off the middle ring road, just past the Lamphun road tunnel on the way towards the river and the Hang Dong road.

Used to be very nice, I agree. Quiet lake-side setting, old wooden houses and sala's, and that floating walkway on the pond.. Lovely. But... gone downhill. Both the setting as well as the food.

Cheers,

CHanchao

Sawai Riang.

But it's gone downhill a bit..  Even though its easier to get there now, as there's a new entrance off the middle ring road, just past the Lamphun road tunnel on the way towards the river and the Hang Dong road.

Used to be very nice, I agree. Quiet lake-side setting, old wooden houses and sala's, and that floating walkway on the pond.. Lovely. But... gone downhill. Both the setting as well as the food.

Cheers,

CHanchao

Thank you sir!

~

Not our experience, altho everything goes thru cycles, but offer of a map cancelled..

More privacy is a good thing...  :o

da Dustoff

Dustoff,

I don't think chanchao is talking about the same restaurant as you, is he? I don't remember a gated community or pool. If it is not the same place, I would still be interested in directions to the restaurant you are referring to.

I'd like to try the Ban Wang Tan restaurant this Saturday. Could someone please provide details of how to get there from the intersection with the timer.

Also, it appears moving the Fillmore from Loh Kroa to the Ping River didn't work out. The place is now up for sale after only being open at the new location for about 5 months.

Pasta Cafe is so-so. The prime rib is the worst I have ever had. If you gotta go stick with the pasta.

I really don't get why people rave about Georgios. Nice people, but the same Italian food as a bunch of lesser rated places that have been around a lot longer - and more expensive than the older places.

Pum Pui is just as good. :o

I'm a PumPui fan myself. Good food, big servings!

I'd like to try the Ban Wang Tan restaurant this Saturday.  Could someone please provide details of how to get there from the intersection with the timer.

Also, it appears moving the Fillmore from Loh Kroa to the Ping River didn't work out.  The place is now up for sale after only being open at the new location for about 5 months.

Sorry, been busy with the new house in Ban Wang Tan..

From the new lights, head south on Hang Dong Road (1km or less);

JUST before the REALLY tall SONY sign on the right, turn left under the tall Johnnie Walker sign;

Go straight (500 meters?) to the T intersection & turn left;

After another 500 meters or so, bear right at the Y;

Pass through the guarded gate and stay straight on to the restaurant on the right.

We may be there as well... Enjoy.

da Dustoff

Edited by Dustoff

I assume you guys are joking about liking Mike's Burgers. Surely no-one eats there a second time.

Anyway, IMO the best burgers are at the newish Duke's- they're still pretty bad, but a million times better than the vein-cloggers at Mike's. I mostly save my burger eating for Bangkok.

So, where is Arctica, it gets loads of press, especially in Bangkok, and I hear it's the coolest place in CNX but still can't find it.

Sawai Riang.

But it's gone downhill a bit..  Even though its easier to get there now, as there's a new entrance off the middle ring road, just past the Lamphun road tunnel on the way towards the river and the Hang Dong road.

Cheers,

CHanchao

Well the highway next door has not helped the setting but the food was excellent at Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anybody has already mentioned the universities. The small restaurants at CMU and Rajabhat offer very good and very very cheap food (12 baht for a dish + rice, 15 baht for 3 dishes + rice). Everybody can go, don't need to be a student. Try it !

• 3 weeks later...

The lunchtime-buffet at 'Pub Pla' , to the right of the Khantoke place, behind Carrefour, gives a reasonable spread for about 150B plus drinks. It's usually very quiet, I suspect nobody knows it's there or it is too far out from the town-centre for the 1-hour-lunch trade.

Food is stricty Thai, except for a salad-bar, but the decor is quite nice.

They've also got a new manager, who actually came over & chatted, and (professionally) tried to cross-sell their evening a-la-carte menu.

We find it a convenient stop, on those (rare :o ) occassions, when the missus is done shopping early ! :D

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

I fully agree the menu sounds mouth watering but the food was disapointing,my "Duke" burger was ok but not as good as "Mikes"and the chips well want can I say they had been cremated.

Too many places in the city to give it a second chance.

Darren

Had lunch at Cafe de Nimman, in the newish Room complex on Nimanhemin Rd. The food and service was good. They have a huge menu in Thai and English, predominantly Thai dishes but also a list of farang items. I had a very passable kaeng khiaw-waan over rice, while a friend had mussels baked with cheese, also quite tasty. It's open 11am-11pm. Air-con, clean.

Other places to knosh in the same complex: Doi Chaang (coffeeshop, open 9.30am-midnight), and the Room-Bar (fancy Thai food; 10am-midnight).

I've tried the new location for the Pasta Cafe (Soi 5, Nimanhemin) a couple of times and have to revise my previously unfavourable opinion based on the old location on Nimanhemin itself.

I've enjoyed meals at the new one, which is much more spacious and inviting than the original 'hobby' resto. Good pastas and salads. Not as good a Da Giorgio (best in town for my tastes) but considerably cheaper and more relaxed, not as cheap as Italian Lang Mo but a tad better quality-wise and a step up atmosphere-wise - tho I quite like the casual atmosphere at Lang Mo for everyday dining.

Also there's a newish place selling pizza by the slice late nights, near the Rasta Cafe/Heaven Beach, etc. Not the best pizza around by a long shot (I haven't found any Chiang Mai pizzas to be all that special), but edible and convenient for that area.

Please add your suggestions.

The Riverside. get there early before 8pm or you will wait a very long time. Fantasitic local food over looking the river. They also have a barge that goes out on the river to have your diner..live music also .very inexpensive....enjoy!!!

The riverside is nice enough, the Thai food good. But inexpensive?? not really

> he riverside is nice enough, the Thai food good. But inexpensive?? not really

Not really, but also not really expensive. As far as riverside restaurants go, The Riverside could be among the cheaper ones. For overall value, given the ambience, food, service and price it's approaching 'unbeatable'.

Used to be a place called Wira Laap Pet on Si Phum Rd near the inside NE corner of the moat. It closed years ago and moved to a spot towards the east end of Soi 7, Nimanhemin Rd. I dined there last night, and here's a quick review.

The laap pet - spicy duck salad - is as good as I remember it from the old location. Wira is worth a visit just for the laap pet, nice balance of all the classic flavours. Very fresh tasting, and served with plenty of basil and cabbage to further the freshness.

Sup naw mai - fresh bamboo shoot 'soupy' salad - was good eating, too, if a tad on the bland side.

Somtam thai was very disappointing, both my wife and I found it overly salty with the addition of too many dried prawns, though this could have been a slip of the wrist and I'll go back again to give them a 2nd chance. As it was served last night, neither of us could finish the tiny serving

Tom saep neua - spicy Isaan-style beef soup was good if not stellar. Better than many places we've had this dish in CM, but not a patch on what you can easily find in cities like Udon, Ubon, Roi-Et, etc.

Finally a seua rawng hai - literally 'crying tiger', rare-grilled chunks of beef dipped in a spicy sauce - would have been truly inspiring if they'd used a better cut of beef rather than the super-chewy cut they used. The sauce was perfect, and had me thinking I should bring my own beef next time. Granted the beef at modest restos like this isn't exactly sirloin tips to begin with, and the luuk thung in general like their beef on the chewy side, but this was tougher than usual. It was very nicely grilled, smokey and crunchy on the outside and pink inside, so we did out best to gnaw through a few chunks before giving up.

Conclusion: Only the resto's namesake laap pet really shines here. This dish, and the pleasant garden atmosphere, make it worth a visit. In comparison with Rot Saep Ubon of five years ago, it's not quite as good (I'd say the laap pet itself is better than RTU's, but tom saep, somtam and sup naw mai were much better at RTU in the 'old days'), but one of the better Isaan places I've tried in Chiang Mai since RTU lost its premier cook.

They have a fairly long menu, in Thai only, so I look forward to working my way through some of the other dishes to see if I can put together one really good meal here. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the new restaurant... 4You is the name I think... at Charoenraj rd., not far from Riverside?

Opened just the week before floods... maybe more at the bar side, but seems to have ok price/quality ratio with food also.

couldn't edit for some reason... but anyway, I remembered wrong, not exactly near Riverside... nearer to highway, quite a bit

Has anyone tried the new restaurant... 4You is the name I think... at Charoenraj rd., not far from Riverside?

18 of us had a set lunch western style at the Fondue House (opposite side of the road from immigration) just about opposite Airport Plaza.

190 baht per head plus taxes, choice of three different sets:

Soup/ chicken-pork - fish main course / homemade ice cream

Very nice , and very good value for a bit of an upmarket venue.