Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Chanchao, I am very interested in the location of 'Naina Indian Food'. The best I have found to date (more than 3 years) is in Soi 9, Muang Mong Rd but you turn right @ the T-junction. Not the vegetarian one owned by the Sikhs but a small one owned by a Hindhu lady. The 'prontas' or 'parathas' are delicious (she is closed on Tuesday for the holy day).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I am very interested in the location of 'Naina Indian Food'.

I think that's the one at the Galare food center at the Night Bazar. You normally wouldn't get me anywhere near the Night Bazar or any other tourist trap, but honestly I have to say I enjoyed the small Indian place there.

> Can anyone tell me where the good lunch buffets are in Chiang Mai?

Well many hotels have them of course. One huge and dirt cheap Thai food buffet place is on the middle ring road, North of town just East of the bridge over the river. (Krua Phitsanuloke). It's just 40 baht all you can eat. Obviously it's far out and being so low in price it's a bit... massive. But if you ever needed to feed a lot of people with varied food for almost no money then you can't beat it.

Are you looking for Thai or Western food? For the latter it'll be one of the hotels, likely. One that's popular is the one at the ... err.. what's that hotel called again at the Night Bazar on Loi Kroh road.. Suriwongse.. or Royal Princess.. On the stretch of Loi Kroh road JUST before hitting Chang Klan road where Mc Donalds is.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Ahh I knew I wrote something on buffet's in Chiang Mai before:

Name: 'Sizzad' (or has it been renamed... I guess the 'Sizzler' chain got upset at the spoof)

Type: Western (stake, fries, vegetables, spaghetti, salad)

Price: 70 baht. (forgot the exact price, could be 60 or 80, but it's a heck of a deal)

Desc: On Chang Klan road South of the Night Bazar before you get to Chiang Mai land on the right side of the road. Look for the huge building with the blue roof, most of which is closed during lunch time but the right-most part of it is open and this is where the buffet is.

Rating: *** (Great value, good variety but aimed at Thais, so not as authentic-western as some 'proper' Western restaurants in town.) So adjust your expectations accordingly: This is a great place to pig out on fries, fish fingers, pork chops, (local) beef or chicken; Salad bar and veggies as well but beware of the dreaded 'sweet Thai mayonnaise'..

Name: Madama Iang

Type: Vietnamese

Desc: Lots of different dishes, some already prepared at the buffet, but you can also order from the menu as most dishes are included in the buffet-price except the 'Moo Yoo' sausage dishes for some reason. Strange because other meat dishes, including great ones like pork skewers grilled in some kind of leaf/herb ARE included.

Location Opposite the President hotel, which is on the road that goes straight East from Sri Phoom city corner.

Price: 70 baht

Rating: ****

Type: Japanese

Desc: At the Chiang Mai Nang Nual seafood restaurant, this Japanese place operates buffet-style. Very similar to the Oi-Ishi chain in Bangkok in that there's a good variety of all kinds of Japanese dishes included fresh fish which can be steamed, grilled, fried as per your specification. Also includes sashimi, sushi rolls & wraps, grilled meats, ramen noodles, deserts, etc.

Price: 180 baht lunch, 250 baht dinner. Credit cards accepted. [prices may be higher now]

Rating: ***1/2 (pricey.. but then you can eat enough to last you a week.. ;-)

Also most of the 'Moo Kata' type restaurants where you grill your own meats and fish on a charcoal grill are effectively buffer-style, very popular and inexpensive. Most are 60-80 baht per person. (Mostly dinner time only though)

Ahh I knew I wrote something on buffet's in Chiang Mai before:

Name: 'Sizzad' (or has it been renamed... I guess the 'Sizzler' chain got upset at the spoof) Salad bar and veggies as well but beware of the dreaded 'sweet Thai mayonnaise'..

It's still called 'Sizzaad', but the sign has been removed from the outside wall and now occupies the wall behind the cashier, inside the establishment. Finding the place from the road is now a little more difficult than before.

Name: Madame Iang

Type: Vietnamese

Desc: Lots of different dishes, some already prepared at the buffet, but you can also order from the menu as most dishes are included in the buffet-price except the 'Moo Yoo' sausage dishes for some reason.  Strange because other meat dishes, including great ones like pork skewers grilled in some kind of leaf/herb ARE included.

Location Opposite the President hotel, which is on the road that goes straight East from Sri Phoom city corner.

Price: 70 baht 

Rating: ****

Madame Iang is solid value for your money, but can be VERY crowded at times.

I owe this thread a contribution.

Hotel buffetts are so precisely priced that most of the bigger hotels provide value for money is direct proportion.

The best in my view and the most expensive at 440 Baht is Sheraton. If you get to know the GM, Manuel, he will often give you a 20% discount if you are there a few times and are friendly to him. He is most gracious.

The least expensive but value oriented is the buffet at Lotus Hotel conjoined to Central Shopping Centr on Huay Kaew. 150 Baht will get you one farang main course and a lot of Thai disches. When there is a meeting or convention the variety improves markedly. Easily accessed from the department store on the 2nd level.

There is a huge Thai buffet, open air on the northbound westernmost moat road just south of the road with all the CMU hospitals. My Thai has eaten there, I have not. 99 Baht. Very popular at night.

Rydges has a good, well presented buffett for 200 Baht, advertised at 250Baht, clean, good quality but business man oriented. Also it is adjacent to the lobby, so quite open.

On Huay Kaew north of the super highway on the north side of the street located in what was once a french restaurant is Buffett House. Below 100 Baht but they make it on the soft drinks and water sales in my view based on what they charge for those drinks. It is quite small but clean and variety is good for the money.

There is a very inexpensive and very popular Thai buffett on the east bound lane of the 2nd ring road just east of City Hall but avoid during government lunch hour. I have never tried it, it would be for a falang who wants to experience Thai native culture to the max.

Regarding hotel buffets, Rydges.Amora buffet is so-so and the Chillis restaurant where it is served is charmless. It is either packed out with Thai conferences or empty most of the time. Beware also of overpricing and add-on taxes. I ate there recently with my wife and had the buffet and two small bottles of water. Total 600 baht:

Buffet lunch 200x2 = 400

Water 55x2 = 110 (!)

Service = 51

Tax = 39

The best hotel buffet in my opinion is La Gritta at the Amari Rincome. Lovely decor and table settings, great selection of salads, main courses (Thai and Italian/European) and terrific desserts. Excellent service too.

Re: burgers, I hadn't ventured near a burger restaurant for maybe 10 years and then someone tipped me off about Mike's and took me there and I (reluctantly) gave it a try. I had a really good burger with fries and a great chilli. Have been back many times since! I can't believe there are other places in town that could possibly do it better, but thanks for the suggestions and I'll try one day (within the next 10 years hopefully)

Re: burgers, I hadn't ventured near a burger restaurant for maybe 10 years and then someone tipped me off about Mike's and took me there and I (reluctantly) gave it a try.  I had a really good burger with fries and a great chilli.  Have been back many times since!  I can't believe there are other places in town that could possibly do it better, but thanks for the suggestions and I'll try one day (within the next 10 years hopefully)

I just don't understand what the attraction of Mike's Burgers is. :o To me, it is an oh so average piece of beef. Have you ever had a burger a Mel's in San Francisco? That is what a burger should taste like. IM(not so)HO

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin soi 7. As mentioned in other posts/topics this is one of the best buffets for your money. 60 Baht for all u can eat, dessert (simple Thaistyle), herbal drinks and drinking water as well as a fabulous selection of Thai main dishes and salads (almost everything is completely vegetarian). Very clean and well prepared and it seems this new location is even nicer than the one on soi 11, though I have not been to the soi 7 location yet.

I also second LL's recommendation of Amari Rincome's LaGritta as one of the best western buffets in CM. Both of these restaurants are within a few minutes walk of each other so take your choice of great Thai or western elegance.

Then after eating go get your teeth cleaned at Grace dental clinic on soi 11. :o

All joking aside, you may want to check it out if you are over that way as IMHO this is one of the best dental clinics in the world. And extremely reasonably priced. I think they may still have a free initial examination.

ATTENTION!!!!!!!

For all you mexican food lovers out there. Try the Burrito House in Pantip Plaza. It has excellent mexican food. It is like a fast food restaurant and the meals are I think pre-cooked and then heated up, but believe me, they have the best burritos out there. Prices are very moderate. The shop is located just near the food center on the upper most floor. Hope to get some feedback on this one!!

beerlao

Yes, but also note that Burrito House has several outlets, and the Pantip one, while having the same food I suppose, is perhaps not the most cheerful one of the bunch. There's other outlets off Suthep Road just West of the Canal Road intersection, and near the Novotel (I think). Indeed great value. (But don't think Mexican 'high cuisine' obviously, but very nice for what it is.)

> I just don't understand what the attraction of Mike's Burgers is.

* It's open very late

* It's AUTHENTIC. No it's not the best food, not even the best burger perhaps.. But is is a very, very accurate copy of a suburban 'greasy spoon' eatery. I can see that as an attraction. Also there's good coffee these days. :o (ordered from next door)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Dinner with the Princess of Patpong

I friend told me of the wonders of the Drunken Flower Pub

Spossed to be a yuppie paradise music and all.

Thai food, Falang food and groovy music, just the right mix.

Hangout for the rich and about to be rich in Chiang Mai.

I really wanted pasta.

Yesterday was a chili nightmare.

Everything I touched from morning to night hot enough to melt my ears off. There are days like that.

You may not know but Thai women get sick if it rains on them. Not Thai men nor Thai children. Just Thai women. Now Thai women are not like women or people for that matter anywhere else and the same rules of medicine or physics do not apply to Thai women. They can’t walk long distances (more than a block) they can of course dance in six inch heels for 8 hours with no ill effects. This I am told does not apply to any other women just Thai women because they are different.

So I forget the umbrella and drag the Patpong princess one block to the Drunken Flower. I would have taken a taxi but I did not know exactly where it was. 8:30 Sat night and there are three people in the pub/restaurant. Princess orders orange juice as I peruse the menu. Just too weird.

Now, to be honest I have no idea what yuppies in Thailand eat.

I had my fill of yuppies in Farangland and I really don’t know much about their eating habits.

I rarely speak to anyone driving a BMW and will go across the street to avoid Scandinavian backpackers unless the traffic is bad.

A table of farang ladies who like ladies is seated next to us and they are loudly playing some kind of trivia game apparently to get their minds off of how bad their hair looks.

One remarks about some pub in Chiang Mai where the boys had one roo loose in the upper paddock and could only ask each other “What’d you do in the war”.

I sit and listen as the Patpong princess is reading an article about how one should not eat rice and drink alcohol because it puts on a lot of weight and I tell her she should share the article with the Farang ladies but she declines and it starts to rain.

There is a hotel with a Vietnamese, Italian menu only a block away. I want to make a run for it but remember she will die if it rains on her.

I suggest she pay the little busboy to carry an umbrella over her head one block to the Gritta. She informs me the little guy is a girl. I guess I was not paying attention. And then she goes on about some Buddha thing that is in her mind today and she is trying to do good deeds and getting that little girl wet would not be a good idea.

I finally start chanting Hugh, Hugh, gin cow Hugh, Hugh and putting my prayer shaped hands to my forehead and she gets the picture and we make a run for the Gritta.

We walk in the door of the restaurant and no one is there it’s 9:30. The nice lady who seats us says the last order is taken at 9:45 is that ok. I’m really hungry and say OK. Princess takes one look at the menu prices and freaks. I say honey, it’s OK I just went to the ATM and since you are not drinking whiskey this week we have plenty of money.

She looks as if her head is going to explode but besides her face getting red and telling me she will not eat here she tells me to go ahead and order.

Her eyes have now made 20 revolutions in her eye sockets as she angrily turns the menu pages and sees 400 bht, 800 bht per entrée and so on.

I just want some pasta and a glass of cheap raw red wine to wash it down and at that minute 800 bht sounded just fine.

But knowing I have to live with the princess I mumble my apologies in halting Thai to the staff and we exit out the side door.

Thankfully there is a tuk tuk right there. She looks at me and growls tee ny, tee ny. I say hoy cow rd lemon tree.

Since I don’t know how to say lemon tree in Thai she tells the driver with a slight smile on her face. We arrive at the Lemon Tree and order a whole steamed fish with herbs (tastes like carp) rice, fried rice, sautéed chicken and kale, deep fried red snapper and pineapple in a sweet and sour sauce, fried fish cakes and a beer and water and the bill comes to 360 bht.

We can ‘t eat all the food and I suggest taking it home but she says the waiter looks skinny and we give him the leftovers.

I think he’s going to dump them in the bus tub but she is convinced he is happy to get them. She is smiling and I am not hungry anymore but still have a psychological craving for pasta and rot gut Chianti.

As a foot note to be fair the Princess of Patpong does not refer to her being a bar girl or dancer in Patpong although she may have been both. I met her when she was a Muy Thai boxer in Patpong. And a darn good boxer at that. Her right uppercut could deck any two of those little sorry excuse for boxers at the night bazaar. I’m not one to judge anyone else’s past, heck before I was a priest and college professor and candidate for saint hood I was in the adult movie biz.

Edited by kerryk

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am under some kind of spell or the rain is getting to me. But for the past two weeks I have been frequenting the “Fine Thanks Pub” It is not a beer bar, no hanky panky. A few Farangs mostly Thai customers. The food is OK, all Thai a little too expensive for what you get IMO but passable. The band is OK even good on some songs and there is a lady singer who shows up after 11:30 that has a delightful voice. The service is very good. But there is one things that is outstanding about the place. They have the most beautiful waitresses I have ever seen. I think there is about 20 or 25 of them and they are all candidates for Miss Universe. I used to work at the Playboy Club in Chicago in another century so I have seen a lot of good looking waitresses but my God the chicks at the “Fine Thanks” are out of this world.

Yes you have found a true hidden gem

For Locals only

There are a few others also

Congratulations :o

Maybe I am under some kind of spell or the rain is getting to me.  But for the past two weeks I have been frequenting the “Fine Thanks Pub”  It is not a beer bar, no hanky panky.  A few Farangs mostly Thai customers.  The food is OK, all Thai a little too expensive for what you get IMO but passable.  The band is OK even good on some songs and there is a lady singer who shows up after 11:30 that has a delightful voice.  The service is very good.  But there is one things that is outstanding about the place.  They have the most beautiful waitresses I have ever seen.  I think there is about 20 or 25 of them and they are all candidates for Miss Universe.  I used to work at the Playboy Club in Chicago in another century so I have seen a lot of good looking waitresses but my God the chicks at the “Fine Thanks” are out of this world.

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

I fully agree the menu sounds mouth watering but the food was disapointing,my "Duke" burger was ok but not as good as "Mikes"and the chips well want can I say they had been cremated.

Too many places in the city to give it a second chance.

Darren

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

I fully agree the menu sounds mouth watering but the food was disapointing,my "Duke" burger was ok but not as good as "Mikes"and the chips well want can I say they had been cremated.

Too many places in the city to give it a second chance.

Darren

I've bean to The Duke's numerous times. More than I can count. I did hear the manager saying they had to change the ground chuck they were getting from NFP and grind the meat themselves. You should try it again. I also believe they specialize in steaks, ribs, seafood and pizza. Maybe give them a try. My buddies and I eat there often and find the food good and a great value.

I too love the burgers at Mike's, late at night and have had a decent burger at The Upper Crust. Still can't beat The Duke's.

Don't often frequent the many restaurants of Chiang Mai, but of the places I have visited recently thought some deserved a mention and might provide some extra choices for people on the search for decent food. Always wanted to do restaurant reviews!

Firstly no burger reviews, I hate burgers!

Cakes etc. go and check out Love at First Bite in the soi next to Chiang Mai Christian School. I am not a big cake fan but theirs are delicious. Little bit short on the drinks menu but you can sit and enjoy the garden with your cake and a reasonable cup of coffee or juice.

Steaks etc. (maybe even burgers - didn't look at the menu closely enough). Had a great chicken steak and friends had some other things such as pork, fish, beef at Ban Rai Steakhouse on same road as Gallery etc further towards Rimping Condo on opposite side to river. Have parking space. Thought the food was good and price reasonable, pleasant atmosphere, good service.

Can anyone give me directions to the Santi Asoke Veggie resturant in CM ?

I dont know my way around CM very well.

Thanks in advance

I was not aware that Santi Asoke had a restaurant in CM, unless you are thinking of the Vegetarian Society down toward the airport which is similar in style to SA in BKK. Anyway go to this topic for directions and more info on veggie places in CM:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23148

For more info use the red search link near the top of this page and do a search for 'vegetarian'

Also IMHO, the best of this type in CM is Khun Churn, which you will find described elsewhere.

Here also is a decent map of many veggie places in CM:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/dining/mapveget.php

:o

Edited by seeker108

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of lines to introduce the newly opened "Jai-Yen Cafe" at 19, Moon Muang, about 400m south of Tha Phae gate just past the HHH pub on soi 2. We only opened last friday at what was originally the Hilltribe cafe and more recently, Cafe Mai. Our menu is predominently Thai but with some western favourites. Above all, our food is simple and good quality and if you have a Thai favourite that's not on the menu then we will try our best to make it for you. Feedback so far has been really good.

I'm not going to turn this into a blatant advert but just say, pay us a visit, mention TV and get 10% off. If you like it then spread the word, if not, moan at me

Oh yeah, we also play Radio Bangkok during the day!

Thanks,

Pikey.

I was in CMU and did some research in CM for long time. I Like go to "KA_LAE" Resturant (20 kms for from CMU)close to Ping river.Very nice place and romatic, if you are in CM..all ppl know this resturant bcoz It's well-known. They have thai dancing and real thai folk song that we call"sounds of the North".

The other place I like is close to Doi Pui (25kms from the palace)as I visited was "Ban-Kun-Chang_Klein" .A resutrant in Hmong village. If You like jungle life I suggest you go there.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Mike's Burgers franchise, on Niehamien, is just as good as the one on the moat north of Tha Phae gate, and much more roomy. As at the first location, it's hard to find a place to park.

Real chili, Texas style. Real beef hamburgers. Yum!

Did I hear that Mike sold out and opened a similar burger joint in Hua Hin?

Don't often frequent the many restaurants of Chiang Mai, but of the places I have visited recently thought some deserved a mention and might provide some extra choices for people on the search for decent food. Always wanted to do restaurant reviews!

Cakes etc. go and check out Love at First Bite in the soi next to Chiang Mai Christian School. I am not a big cake fan but theirs are delicious. Little bit short on the drinks menu but you can sit and enjoy the garden with your cake and a reasonable cup of coffee or juice.

Steaks etc. (maybe even burgers - didn't look at the menu closely enough). Had a great chicken steak and friends had some other things such as pork, fish, beef at Ban Rai Steakhouse on same road as Gallery etc further towards Rimping Condo on opposite side to river. Have parking space. Thought the food was good and price reasonable, pleasant atmosphere, good service.

The quality of the cakes at Love at first Bite is undisputable, but I am bit irritated that the pieces of cake they sell have shrunk to about half the original size, while the price has gone up from around 40 to 60 baht.

The quality of the cakes at Love at first Bite is undisputable, but I am bit irritated that the pieces of cake they sell have shrunk to about half the original size, while the price has gone up from around 40 to 60 baht.

Have you looked at what the price of eggs has done over the past 5 years?

Re: burgers, I hadn't ventured near a burger restaurant for maybe 10 years and then someone tipped me off about Mike's and took me there and I (reluctantly) gave it a try. I had a really good burger with fries and a great chilli. Have been back many times since! I can't believe there are other places in town that could possibly do it better, but thanks for the suggestions and I'll try one day (within the next 10 years hopefully)

Mike's served me the most amazing cheesesteak sandwich. Enough for 2 easily and thick with the goodies. YUM!

Roti "ma-ta-ba" in Suntitam is excellent too. If you make a left at the moat corner near Central and head towards Wat Suntitam, just go straight over the bridge and you will see alot of food stands on the left.

The one near the end serves the best Roti I have ever had, plus the "ma-ta-ba" (30baht) style is stuffed with curry chicken and potatoes, super delicious!

Roti "ma-ta-ba" in Suntitam is excellent too. If you make a left at the moat corner near Central and head towards Wat Suntitam, just go straight over the bridge and you will see alot of food stands on the left.

The one near the end serves the best Roti I have ever had, plus the "ma-ta-ba" (30baht) style is stuffed with curry chicken and potatoes, super delicious!

I second this one - I used to live further down the road there and the family who run that particular stand were always very chatty and friendly - I think it helped thar Mrs JxP was pregnant at the time and was very much the centre of attention.

Great roti and the mataba is the best I've had.

JxP