Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know the name of the restaurant next to 'riverside'?  a friend told me it was just as good (food and view) but quieter.

thanks.

A very nice and quiet one, not directly adjacent to the riverside, close to the footbridge, is Regina Garden. Has an antiques shop attached to it. About six tables, some armchairs, and a couple of chickens playing in the yard!

This is a nice time to go to the Mae Kuang dam. For the first time in my memory, the resevoir is overflowing down its spillway -- and they have the gate open at the top of the dam so you can drive to the *top* of the spillway, thus being able to view the waterfall from both top and bottom; plus a nice clear view of the mountains and resevoir, as the seasonal burning has not yet begun to obscure things.

But anyway, this section is about restaurants. So on your way to Mae Kuang on route 118 to Chiang Rai, turn left about half a mile past the Doi Saket exit -- it's the exit to Tao Gardens (and easy to miss, so if you begin to go uphill, you've missed it). The country road meanders along a waterway for several clicks, then passes an abandoned PTT gas station. Just around the left hand curve -- on your left hand side -- is Sorn's Cafe. A blackboard with his specialties marks the footbridge to his very-nicely adorned eatery. Plenty of parking on the roadside.

Nice menu -- Western and Thai. Sorn is Thai, but lived in San Francisco for a few decades, plus went to school in England prior to that. So, his input to his restaurant doesn't have the boring sameness that seems to hit many of the other eateries in the CM area.

But anyway, if you're out for a drive, the Mae Kuang dam and Sorn's Cafe make for a nice afternoon combination. (Ask Sorn how to get to the spillway if you're unsure.)

Oh, Sorn's is closed on Mondays, and, I believe, from 2 to 4 pm.

Edited by JimGant

The new Mike's Burgers franchise, on Niehamien, is just as good as the one on the moat north of Tha Phae gate, and much more roomy. As at the first location, it's hard to find a place to park.

Real chili, Texas style. Real beef hamburgers. Yum!

________________________________________________________________________________

* very poor ********** top notch

MIKE'S **

Couldn't disagree more!

Been to Mike's about three times...dunno why because I always thought it was very poor. Must have been drinking.

An onion ring that is a sort of crisped lump of fatty nothing. A vaguely greyish hamburger. A plastic knife and fork that were so cheap it was impossible to use them.

PASTA CAFE see below

We used to meet there as a sort of meeting for the Trader's Club....EVERY WEEK for months and months. We turned up one night and they'd given the upstairs room, our EVERY WEEK venue, to the US Consul and her friends. Didn't bother to call us. Did they think this made them posh or something? Quite the opposite! I won;t even bother to score the food because this behaviour of the management was downright rude and precludes any recommendation.

WRITER'S CLUB ******

Quite good food, lousy service but lovely atmosphere and owners.

FRANCO THAI *******

Great value tasty steaks and more 129bt.

GIORGIO *********

Good food & wine, excellent service. For a more paeng night out.

KOW NIOW TIANG KEUN ******

in Kampaeng Din....no sign open 2330 to 0200 only expect queues...they'll be how you see the place.... but great cheap meats like mu gop, nam prik and sticky rice. Big feed about 100bt.

SECRET PLACE...can't remember name... *******

go along the road following the river on the west side going north from US embassy. Cross at the lights and keep following north . A few hundred yards before the superhighway there's a row of shophouses on the right. Drive into the central entrance and you'll see a row of dwellings attached behind. ALmost opposite is a quiet little very low key fish eaterie with tables on the river. Try it.

MORE SLEEPYJOHN RECOMMENDATIONS LATER

>>MIKE'S **

Couldn't disagree more!

Been to Mike's about three times...dunno why because I always thought it was very poor. Must have been drinking.

An onion ring that is a sort of crisped lump of fatty nothing. A vaguely greyish hamburger. A plastic knife and fork that were so cheap it was impossible to use them.<<

Agreed.

>>WRITER'S CLUB ******

Quite good food, lousy service but lovely atmosphere and owners.<<

How about a location?

>>FRANCO THAI *******

Great value tasty steaks and more 129bt.<<

How about a location?

go along the road following the river on the west side going north from US embassy. Cross at the lights and keep following north . A few hundred yards before the superhighway there's a row of shophouses on the right. Drive into the central entrance and you'll see a row of dwellings attached behind. ALmost opposite is a quiet little very low key fish eaterie with tables on the river. Try it.

Dtai Ton Ma Feung (under the Starfruit tree)

Don't let the simple surroundings fool you.

Excellent seafood dishes. Open in the evenings and I think at lunchtime.

Enjoy!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I just enjoyed a delicious meal at the "Farang Cafe', located adjacent to the new RimPing at Ruamchoke market, at the corner of Mae Jo rd. and the Middle Ring rd..

Fish and Chips far far superior to the place across from The Irish Pub, and the best Goulash I've ever had. :o

does anyone have suggestions on restaurants in hang dong?

We haven't found anything worthwhile in Hang Dong but between Lotus and Hang Dong is the Wang Tan Restaurant inside the village of the same name. Large outdoor decks on a nice little lake and very good food at reasonable prices.

Coming south on HangDong Rd, turn left across from the huge Sony sign (at the big Johnny Walker sign), go .5km to the T and turn left, .5km and bear right at the Y, through the guard gate and straight on .6km to the restaurant.

Live music, olympic-size pool. plenty of parking...

thanks to all who replied to my question above.

here's another one if you don't mind....

does anyone have suggestions on restaurants in hang dong?

"Secret Garden" in Hang Dong , on the way to Bantawai.Has a great wine list and the best chicken satay that I have tasted in Thailand...even the wife agreed. :o

thanks dustoff and chuchok---i hope to try them both out this week.

chuchok, could i bother you for more specific directions...i don't know where the road to bantawai is.

If going from CM along the CM-Hang Dong road...when you get to the Traffic lights in Hang Dong, hang a left and it is 1 km on your left. (just before a well marked building called "Crossroads Asia")

I want to recommend Bake 'n Bite's delivery service.... With some fear and trepidition, I ordered turkey and all the trimmings (pumpkin pie, roasted potatoes, vegies, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy) from them for a dinner party I was having.

Right on time with the delivery, and everything was wonderful! Big, Juicy turkey! :o

280 baht per kilo (mine was 8 kilos) stuffing and baking included.

01-882-9545

• 2 weeks later...

Been going up and down that street for an hour os so; cannot find it. Am going past the fruit and vegs market, cross the light, that is the street of rama 9 bridge. Go past the Cowboy restaurant. Am going on and on and when I see the Super highway still have not seen anything. Am I what, stupid? can even read Thai, but nothing. Anybody can help?

Been going up and down that street for an hour os so; cannot find it. Am going past the fruit and vegs market, cross the light, that is the street of rama 9 bridge. Go past the Cowboy restaurant. Am going on and on and when I see the Super highway still have not seen anything. Am I what, stupid? can even read Thai, but nothing. Anybody can help?

I'm not sure how to add to the directions....it's the only longish row of shophouses between teh road and river. It has a row on the road with a central entrance and a row behind facing you. It's right opposite the entrance....VERY low key advertising like one small board, and you must go in the entrance to see. The restaurant backs onto teh river, making it very pleasant.

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 2 weeks later...
just had the best Korean I've eaten in years at the new place on the top floor of Airport Plaza.

Heartily reccommended.

Is this place by chance called Daidomon? Anyway, Daidomon is my favorite of the BBQ-at-your-table style places in CM. The meat is top quality and they marinate it in various yummy ways; the sauces also rock. Best thing is the BBQ kit uses real charcoal (inside the mall :o ) and cooks the food very fast.

The place looks a little cheesy from the outside, but the food, and price, are very good.

just had the best Korean I've eaten in years at the new place on the top floor of Airport Plaza.

Heartily reccommended.

Is this place by chance called Daidomon? Anyway, Daidomon is my favorite of the BBQ-at-your-table style places in CM. The meat is top quality and they marinate it in various yummy ways; the sauces also rock. Best thing is the BBQ kit uses real charcoal (inside the mall :D ) and cooks the food very fast.

The place looks a little cheesy from the outside, but the food, and price, are very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Heartily reccommended.

Is this place by chance called Daidomon? Anyway, Daidomon is my favorite of the BBQ-at-your-table style places in CM. The meat is top quality and they marinate it in various yummy ways; the sauces also rock. Best thing is the BBQ kit uses real charcoal (inside the mall :o ) and cooks the food very fast.

No.

It is a recently opened Korean restaurant opposite Daidomon. Food compares well with Arirang in Chiangmai Land but side dishes a bit sparser. My addiction, bibimbap is good at both places although different at each.

post-11672-1138619691_thumb.jpg

thanks dustoff and chuchok---i hope to try them both out this week.

chuchok, could i bother you for more specific directions...i don't know where the road to bantawai is.

If going from CM along the CM-Hang Dong road...when you get to the Traffic lights in Hang Dong, hang a left and it is 1 km on your left. (just before a well marked building called "Crossroads Asia")

Chicken and cashew at the Secret Garden today. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Heartily reccommended.

OK, based on your recommendation, I ate this place today and I must agree it is excellent. I usually eat Korean at the place opposite Empress and it's good. But, the place at Airport Plaza is much better. All the Kimchees were great, as were the soup and bbq moo. Price was a little on the high side, but given the clean and air condition surroundings, it was good value.

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

cant help but mention my opnions on good places to eat here in CM. I love going to MS Suki on the superhighway just before you turn left into the Chiangmai Land. Its next to Ban Maa & Meow Animal Hosp. It looks expensive but its not. The servings are awesome. Try the cashew nut chicken, you'd be amazed on the amount of cashew nuts thrown in. I also enjoy their pork popias(spring rolls).

Another good place the Andaman Seafood. The owner is from Phuket, hence the name but I really enjoy the seafood preparations. Its just before Central Airport Plaza heading coming in from Mahidol Rd. You pass by Chiangmai Land on your right. Go on straight, keep left and just before the overhead bridge going to airport and town, there is a whole new seafood centre there. i truly enjoyed their curry style crabs.

Thanks for that post!! I live the Chinese place next to CHiang Mai land as well.

DInd't know about the new Andaman seafood place, will definitely give it a try soon!

Speaking of seafood, did anyone try the place on the Canal Road just South of the Suthep Road intersection (Ping Payom market). It's on the canal road, on the left when driving on the canal road towards the SUthep road intersection.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Speaking of seafood, did anyone try the place on the Canal Road just South of the Suthep Road intersection (Ping Payom market). It's on the canal road, on the left when driving on the canal road towards the SUthep road intersection.

Nope havent been there. Not very familiar with that part of town though although been in CM long time.

I did happen to stop behind a tuk-tuk with the advert of a restaurant called Singapore Street? Now, I am definately a fan of singaporean and malaysian food. Anyone been there or heard of it???

Its time we had one of these kinds of restaurants.

Thanks for that post!! I live the Chinese place next to CHiang Mai land as well.

DInd't know about the new Andaman seafood place, will definitely give it a try soon!

Cheers,

Chanchao

What's the difference between Ping Payom and Ton Payom market?