Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

We are a family of five, me, hubby and three boys - teenagers... just moved to Mae Joh Road... does anyone know of good, cheap restaurants around this area where we can buy Thai and/or western food for about 100 bht per person (or, she says hopefully, less??) We don't mind 'Thai' type hamburgers - you know, with pork not beef! :o

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like Fuji, give Zen Japanese restaurant a try in the Airport Mall too.

That's an old post from 5 years ago, but worth an update, because ZEN offers fine Japanese food.

If ZEN has been there since 5 years already, that's a very good sign.

Definitely a cut above Fuji -- and I am a fan of Fuji.

My first time eating at ZEN this week.

Superb in every way: immaculately clean, speedy service, vast menu with photos (ala Fuji).

But no smiles (Japanese style).

So many tempting dishes, but I selected the grilled, river shrimp set.

Huge shrimps, almost like lobster tail.

Grilled perfectly -- not underdone or overdone, as is easy to do with big shrimp.

The set came with the usual extras: rice, kimchee, miso soup, salad.

I'm not a fan of Japanese rice, but ZEN's rice was more tasty than other Japanese rice I've eaten.

I am a fan of Japanese potato salad, and ordered a side of fried potato salad.

Potato salad, made into golf-ball size, then coated with flour and quickly deep fried.

Interesting combination of flavours and textures, but next time I'll order potato salad plain -- deep frying didn't add anything.

Before you tuck your legs into the seating compartment, take off your shoes and put them into the little, lighted, compartment underneath your seat.

When you are finished eating, and about to leave, waitress will take your shoes out and place them conveniently along side.

Nice.

But, still, no smiles.

Finding a high quality meal in a shopping mall is rare.

ZEN delivers at Airport Plaza mall.

As you might expect, Japanese-level prices, so not the place to find a cheap meal.

A typical set, plus one side dish, along with beverage, in the neighborhood of 400-500 baht per person.

And that's actually an advantage, because it keeps out the sort of riff-raff who pollute Moonmuang Road.

Next on my list to order at ZEN:

-- Grilled saba fish with salt -- can they get the skin slightly crispy without over-cooking the fish?

-- Katsudon (pork chop) with curry on rice -- a standard Japanese meal, to compare against the standard in Tokyo.

ZEN: Highly recommended.

To find, easiest is to ask at the information counter at the main entrance of the shopping center.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

• 6 months later...

Seriously Good Breakfast at Pun Pun!

Sitting here in front of a most delightful, well prepared, excellent breakfast!

I don't usually write about my experiences but this breakfast (and the extra effort from Gonzo) make this an exceptionally nice time.

Outstanding meal! I'll recommend the Pun Pun Restaurant to all my friends!

Seriously Good Breakfast at Pun Pun!

Sitting here in front of a most delightful, well prepared, excellent breakfast!

I don't usually write about my experiences but this breakfast (and the extra effort from Gonzo) make this an exceptionally nice time.

Outstanding meal! I'll recommend the Pun Pun Restaurant to all my friends!

Well thank you, kind sir for those very kind words.

Would I be correct in reading that you have been a TV Member for 4 years, and this is your first ever post?

If that is correct, then to you a double thank you.

and now it dawns on me why you wished to have a wifi password......

Thank you

Gonzo

Fancy-ish: I liked Kitamond, nice setting on the river. (http://chanchao.foto.../?entry=145139)

Basic: I also like this food stall on Huay Kaew Road (http://chanchao.foto...m/?entry=75377)

Then there's the buffet at Nang Nual... good if you want to eat really a lot. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Changchao,

I'm curious about Nang Nual at the new location, as I have not yet had the opportunity to visit. There were many conflicting opinions about Nang Nual, at the previous, riverside location. Personally, I was a big fan.

Did you visit the old Nang Nual. If so - how does the restaurant at the new location compare? If not, can you please describe the fare at the new location?

Many thanks