BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
astral

Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

Buonisimo is I think the best all around Italian food next to Giorgios next to piccollo Roma next to Rimping italian place.

I Tried the new Dukes which is the old Tavern Great looking Menu but food didnt quite keep up with the expectation any else try it?

I fully agree the menu sounds mouth watering but the food was disapointing,my "Duke" burger was ok but not as good as "Mikes"and the chips well want can I say they had been cremated.

Too many places in the city to give it a second chance.

Darren

I've bean to The Duke's numerous times. More than I can count. I did hear the manager saying they had to change the ground chuck they were getting from NFP and grind the meat themselves. You should try it again. I also believe they specialize in steaks, ribs, seafood and pizza. Maybe give them a try. My buddies and I eat there often and find the food good and a great value.

I too love the burgers at Mike's, late at night and have had a decent burger at The Upper Crust. Still can't beat The Duke's.

Don't often frequent the many restaurants of Chiang Mai, but of the places I have visited recently thought some deserved a mention and might provide some extra choices for people on the search for decent food. Always wanted to do restaurant reviews!

Firstly no burger reviews, I hate burgers!

Cakes etc. go and check out Love at First Bite in the soi next to Chiang Mai Christian School. I am not a big cake fan but theirs are delicious. Little bit short on the drinks menu but you can sit and enjoy the garden with your cake and a reasonable cup of coffee or juice.

Steaks etc. (maybe even burgers - didn't look at the menu closely enough). Had a great chicken steak and friends had some other things such as pork, fish, beef at Ban Rai Steakhouse on same road as Gallery etc further towards Rimping Condo on opposite side to river. Have parking space. Thought the food was good and price reasonable, pleasant atmosphere, good service.

~

Okay, come on, out with it. Where is Fine Thanks?

PM me if you want to keep it 'local'... :o

~

Okay, come on, out with it. Where is Fine Thanks?

PM me if you want to keep it 'local'...  :o

Ninmanhemin road Soi 5. And if you see me there you owe me a drink

Can anyone give me directions to the Santi Asoke Veggie resturant in CM ?

I dont know my way around CM very well.

Thanks in advance

Can anyone give me directions to the Santi Asoke Veggie resturant in CM ?

I dont know my way around CM very well.

Thanks in advance

I was not aware that Santi Asoke had a restaurant in CM, unless you are thinking of the Vegetarian Society down toward the airport which is similar in style to SA in BKK. Anyway go to this topic for directions and more info on veggie places in CM:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23148

For more info use the red search link near the top of this page and do a search for 'vegetarian'

Also IMHO, the best of this type in CM is Khun Churn, which you will find described elsewhere.

Here also is a decent map of many veggie places in CM:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/dining/mapveget.php

:o

Edited by seeker108

Thanks for the Veggie info,

I was under the impression that Santi Asoke were in the area, but I've never been able to pin them down, maybe I've got my wires crossed, will have to do some more digging.

Ta

Just a couple of lines to introduce the newly opened "Jai-Yen Cafe" at 19, Moon Muang, about 400m south of Tha Phae gate just past the HHH pub on soi 2. We only opened last friday at what was originally the Hilltribe cafe and more recently, Cafe Mai. Our menu is predominently Thai but with some western favourites. Above all, our food is simple and good quality and if you have a Thai favourite that's not on the menu then we will try our best to make it for you. Feedback so far has been really good.

I'm not going to turn this into a blatant advert but just say, pay us a visit, mention TV and get 10% off. If you like it then spread the word, if not, moan at me

Oh yeah, we also play Radio Bangkok during the day!

Thanks,

Pikey.

I was in CMU and did some research in CM for long time. I Like go to "KA_LAE" Resturant (20 kms for from CMU)close to Ping river.Very nice place and romatic, if you are in CM..all ppl know this resturant bcoz It's well-known. They have thai dancing and real thai folk song that we call"sounds of the North".

The other place I like is close to Doi Pui (25kms from the palace)as I visited was "Ban-Kun-Chang_Klein" .A resutrant in Hmong village. If You like jungle life I suggest you go there.

The new Mike's Burgers franchise, on Niehamien, is just as good as the one on the moat north of Tha Phae gate, and much more roomy. As at the first location, it's hard to find a place to park.

Real chili, Texas style. Real beef hamburgers. Yum!

Did I hear that Mike sold out and opened a similar burger joint in Hua Hin?

Don't often frequent the many restaurants of Chiang Mai, but of the places I have visited recently thought some deserved a mention and might provide some extra choices for people on the search for decent food. Always wanted to do restaurant reviews!

Cakes etc. go and check out Love at First Bite in the soi next to Chiang Mai Christian School. I am not a big cake fan but theirs are delicious. Little bit short on the drinks menu but you can sit and enjoy the garden with your cake and a reasonable cup of coffee or juice.

Steaks etc. (maybe even burgers - didn't look at the menu closely enough). Had a great chicken steak and friends had some other things such as pork, fish, beef at Ban Rai Steakhouse on same road as Gallery etc further towards Rimping Condo on opposite side to river. Have parking space. Thought the food was good and price reasonable, pleasant atmosphere, good service.

The quality of the cakes at Love at first Bite is undisputable, but I am bit irritated that the pieces of cake they sell have shrunk to about half the original size, while the price has gone up from around 40 to 60 baht.

The quality of the cakes at Love at first Bite is undisputable, but I am bit irritated that the pieces of cake they sell have shrunk to about half the original size, while the price has gone up from around 40 to 60 baht.

Have you looked at what the price of eggs has done over the past 5 years?

Re: burgers, I hadn't ventured near a burger restaurant for maybe 10 years and then someone tipped me off about Mike's and took me there and I (reluctantly) gave it a try. I had a really good burger with fries and a great chilli. Have been back many times since! I can't believe there are other places in town that could possibly do it better, but thanks for the suggestions and I'll try one day (within the next 10 years hopefully)

Mike's served me the most amazing cheesesteak sandwich. Enough for 2 easily and thick with the goodies. YUM!

Roti "ma-ta-ba" in Suntitam is excellent too. If you make a left at the moat corner near Central and head towards Wat Suntitam, just go straight over the bridge and you will see alot of food stands on the left.

The one near the end serves the best Roti I have ever had, plus the "ma-ta-ba" (30baht) style is stuffed with curry chicken and potatoes, super delicious!

Roti "ma-ta-ba" in Suntitam is excellent too. If you make a left at the moat corner near Central and head towards Wat Suntitam, just go straight over the bridge and you will see alot of food stands on the left.

The one near the end serves the best Roti I have ever had, plus the "ma-ta-ba" (30baht) style is stuffed with curry chicken and potatoes, super delicious!

I second this one - I used to live further down the road there and the family who run that particular stand were always very chatty and friendly - I think it helped thar Mrs JxP was pregnant at the time and was very much the centre of attention.

Great roti and the mataba is the best I've had.

JxP