Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

> Even a coke was almost 100 baht which seems a little much.

Well that indicates they plan to serve clueless high-end tourists. Good for them if they pull it off.

In my book, places can charge whatever they think their food is worth, but when you think you must charge 100 baht for a coke... Well. Even Oriental Dhara Dhevi doesn't try that. And D2 is just a make-over job on an existing old concrete structure, the ol' chiang inn hotel. So.. a big "thanks but no thanks" from me I guess..

I agree, but what I find strange is that the food is quite good and reasonably priced.

I try to think of that when I'm paying for my 100 baht coke to lessen the impact, but all I keep coming up with is that 100 baht is WAY too much for a common soft drink. :o

Why would anyone charge 100 baht for a coke?

Since it has nothing to do with product cost, it is either the cost of staff or.... a bigger profit for owners. Such a place can survive here, but wth minimal business, I would assume.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me when I have the time, its off to Loy Kroh and the Clubhouse.

Great food, Mexican, Thai, European, Everything you could fancy.

Great cooking, imported or local beef, great place.

Try the nachos!

Where is it on Loy Kroh?

The last time I was in CM I ended up in the restaurant D2. We all found the food to be very good, though not cheap, still no where near the price of Le Crystal, nor The House,(both of which I enjoy going to). I would suggest it for a special occasion with several people. The only downside is that the decor is slightly cold and the atmosphere was slightly sterile. However fire a coupleof their excellent cocktails down the "old Gregory" and you can soon start making your own atmosphere.

I second the D2 reco, much better than The House foodwise and a really interesting minimalist decor, excellent service. Very good tenderloin made with imported beef, can also recommended the lamb. Some very good Thai fusion dishes as well. As usual at restos of this type, the wine often costs more than the meal so bring your own and pay corkage if you want to save some baht. The D2 wine list is excellent however.

I enjoyed D2 and thought that the food prices were reasonable, but the drinks were so expensive that it put off my dinner companion who likes to drink with meals.

Even a coke was almost 100 baht which seems a little much.

Right, I guess all the bevs are pricey there.

The Duangtawan really try hard on the Japanese buffet, but Japanese food HAS to be eaten when it is ultra-fresh.

I much rather pay for Zen or Fuji and get top quality Japanese food. :o

What about McDonalds

I would LOVE a gourmet burger made with top US prime sirloin beef, however, nothing close to that is available here.

To be perfectly honest, McDonald's Burgers are probably better than most of the burgers in Chiang Mai and the taste is consistant where local burgers range from acceptable to terrible and change from day to day. THAT is why McDonald's are the world's best selling chain restaurant. :D

UG have you tried the burgers at the Chiang Mai Saloon on Loi Kroh? As best I can remember they offer 7 different burgers, all of them grilled. I've tried a few and think they're the city's best. The quality seems to be consistent as well.

I tried a burger at Duke's recently, and was not impressed. I ordered the one that the menu said came with avocado (I think it was called 'Cajun burger' or something similar, but at any rate there was no avocado), and it just failed to inspire. The service was also on the slow side (even by CM standards), despite the fact I was the only customer in the place.

About 300 m from the Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall (North-West). Keep going on Thanon Huai Kaeo (Norht-West) towards Chiang Mai university's North entrance. Then turn left on the first major road called Sirmuangkarajan. It is 50 m to the right (Not the open-air restaurant). There is an apple dealer store nearby there BTW. The cook and the lady owner speak relatively good English and understand what "mai pet" means! The food is decent, not expensive, and there are the odd Englsih-speaking Thai people going there and "farang", of course. A friendly and safe place! (The only negative is the mosquitoes flying at night, as they have decorative vases with water bordering the restaurant.) BTW, this is not a badly decorated place (no neon tubes here), but then it is not 5 stars either. I recommend the curry dishes (a nice pot and rice for 70 baths, if I remember well), but then I love curry! I cannot remember the name though! Any comments?

Edited by MyPenRye

The Duangtawan really try hard on the Japanese buffet, but Japanese food HAS to be eaten when it is ultra-fresh.

I much rather pay for Zen or Fuji and get top quality Japanese food. :o

What about McDonalds

I would LOVE a gourmet burger made with top US prime sirloin beef, however, nothing close to that is available here.

To be perfectly honest, McDonald's Burgers are probably better than most of the burgers in Chiang Mai and the taste is consistant where local burgers range from acceptable to terrible and change from day to day. THAT is why McDonald's are the world's best selling chain restaurant. :D

Is Macdonalds Thailand's best-selling chain restaurant?

I much rather pay for Zen or Fuji and get top quality Japanese food. :D

What about McDonalds

UG have you tried the burgers at the Chiang Mai Saloon on Loi Kroh? As best I can remember they offer 7 different burgers, all of them grilled. I've tried a few and think they're the city's best. The quality seems to be consistent as well.

I tried a burger at Duke's recently, and was not impressed. I ordered the one that the menu said came with avocado (I think it was called 'Cajun burger' or something similar, but at any rate there was no avocado), and it just failed to inspire. The service was also on the slow side (even by CM standards), despite the fact I was the only customer in the place.

I agree with you on both counts. The best burgers that I have had in Chiang Mai were the bacon cheeseburgers at the Saloon (IMHO) and I didn't really like the one I had at the Dukes.

I do think that this might be a matter of personal taste however, as I really liked the burgers at the old Easy Diner and Mango Tree, and I didn't like the ones at the old Fillmore East (which tasted like the ones at the Duke's), but my friends felt exactly the opposite and they eat the Duke's burgers fairly often.

The only thing that all my freinds agree on in the burger place wars is that the hotdogs at Mike's Hambugers have to be the worst in the world. It's too bad because all the stuff that goes on them is really good, but the hotdogs themselves have no taste at all. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

What about McDonalds

I agree with you on both counts. The best burgers that I have had in Chiang Mai were the bacon cheeseburgers at the Saloon (IMHO) and I didn't really like the one I had at the Dukes.

I do think that this might be a matter of personal taste however, as I really liked the burgers at the old Easy Diner and Mango Tree, and I didn't like the ones at the old Fillmore East (which tasted like the ones at the Duke's), but my friends felt exactly the opposite and they eat the Duke's burgers fairly often.

The only thing that all my freinds agree on in the burger place wars is that the hotdogs at Mike's Hambugers have to be the worst in the world. It's too bad because all the stuff that goes on them is really good, but the hotdogs themselves have no taste at all. :o

Why doesn't he make bigger dogs - for sure I would buy them!

Forgot to mention Banrai 2 Steakhouse in Watgate near The Riverside. Their pepper steak with veggies and a spud for 120 odd baht is fantastic (really).. They are now doing venison steaks as well.. Also Mikes Burgers on Nimmenhemin Rd has moved down the other end of the road, opposite the Amari.. Happy heart attacks...

What about McDonalds

Why doesn't he make bigger dogs - for sure I would buy them!

I believe it's illegal for farang to breed rottweilers, St Bernhards, grand danoises, etc. for human consumption.

I must retort on my choice of best "kao soi" , i previously mentioned Aroon Rai, i take it back. The kao soi shop opposite Jipata clothing store on Nimmenhemin Rd is simply sensational.. Try the "pi set" (large) for 30 baht, or "tamadaa" normal for 25 baht...Amazing..

Really good khao soi (sawy) shop, a little bit out of town. Handong Road in Handong, across from the municipal bdg, 100 meters past the Baan Tawai road turn off on the left. Get the khao soi phiset, which will set you back 45 baht, I really like the plaa.

I love the Dukes, but I didn't dig the burger too much. Haven't found a good burger in CM yet.

Heung Tao on Nimmenhemmin Rd. Hands down the best Thai food in Chiangmai...

Now, there's a sweeping statement if ever I saw one...

Check it out Dan Sai, it's Chiangmai's best kept secret. Apart from the Aree guesthouse murder anyway... :o:D:D Also try the pork knuckle at the Brauhaus (German/Thai) beer hall.. Aroi maak....(had it tonight again) burp..

Similar place for Khao Soi as the Hang Dong one you can find closer into town in Soi Techno Asia, off Aom Muang road. Also have the nice fish option, and also do VERY nice tom yam noodles (tom yam nam phrik pow). When ordering 'special', the bowl size you get is amazing. (And I do mean the bowl size, not necessarly the contents quantity.. it's huge.) :o

So, this is my submission for the best khao soi in Chiang Mai:

http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=64940

As for Hong Thaew on Nimmanhaemin Road: Like it a lot. Indeed at least a nominee for 'best Thai food' restaurant title. (Esp. as it's mid-range in price).

Check it out Dan Sai, it's Chiangmai's best kept secret. Apart from the Aree guesthouse murder anyway... :o:D:D Also try the pork knuckle at the Brauhaus (German/Thai) beer hall.. Aroi maak....(had it tonight again) burp..

I go to the Chiang Mai brewery - is that the same one?

The trick there is that I order the mixed grill and my wife orders the pork knuckle - I theh "volunteer" to help her finish it! :D

I go to the Chiang Mai brewery - is that the same one?

The trick there is that I order the mixed grill and my wife orders the pork knuckle - I theh "volunteer" to help her finish it! :D

I guess it would be the same one, behind carrefour. I will try that trick on my wife next time, as i quite fancy the old "mixed grills", nice one Dan Sai..

post-31110-1153905358.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

I finally made it into Miguel's, and was not disappointed. The rice and beans was okay, and so were the enchiladas, (although the shredded beef was a bit tough and stringy; I always prefer Texas style ground [minced] beef.

And Mike was a real gentleman, referring to himself as "the ***hole," but not acting bad at all. Except for 30 baht for a can of soda, the prices were reasonable.

I'll go again.

Similar place for Khao Soi as the Hang Dong one you can find closer into town in Soi Techno Asia, off Aom Muang road. Also have the nice fish option, and also do VERY nice tom yam noodles (tom yam nam phrik pow). When ordering 'special', the bowl size you get is amazing. (And I do mean the bowl size, not necessarly the contents quantity.. it's huge.) :o

So, this is my submission for the best khao soi in Chiang Mai:

http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=64940

As for Hong Thaew on Nimmanhaemin Road: Like it a lot. Indeed at least a nominee for 'best Thai food' restaurant title. (Esp. as it's mid-range in price).

Chanchao, can you be a bit more specific with your directions? Are you calling the Airport-New Sankumphaeng road a ring road? Which direction are you travelling in (east, west, etc)? Thanks!

Out of all the Italian restaurants I have visited in the entire world, Pum Pui (by Top North Guest House) is my favourite yet.

Pom Pui used to be my favorite Italian restaurant in CM, but I now prefer Pasta Cafe on Nimannheimin soi 5. A lot of great Italian dishes to chose from and the prices are more reasonable (even though they recently raised prices a little). For me the quality at Pom Pui seems to have slipped whereas Pasta Cafe seems to compare with some of the best Italian food I have eaten in various parts of the world (and I grew up in a very Italian neighborhood in NY and have lived extensively in Europe). Also with the ambiance you would expect to be paying 3 times what they are charging.

I also like the pizza at both Duke's and "Mr. Chan and Miss Pauline's" (on Huay Kaew between Nimannheimin and Canal Rd., north side of the street).

Edited by seeker108

Out of all the Italian restaurants I have visited in the entire world, Pum Pui (by Top North Guest House) is my favourite yet.

The original pum pui was great, but lately they have provided less than quality in their italian food. The original owner if pum pui has moved to a place on Mae Jo road, about Km #1. The name of this restaurant I can't recall, but it is excellent food and atmosphere is great if like sitting inside...

I love the Dukes, but I didn't dig the burger too much. Haven't found a good burger in CM yet.

I hate to have to disagree but I have too :o

I think that The Duke's Burgers ARE the best in Chiang Mai by far

But that is just my opinion

TP

I hate to have to disagree but I have too :o

I think that The Duke's Burgers ARE the best in Chiang Mai by far

But that is just my opinion

TP

I must agree. I think the hamburger buns need replacing, Too thin, and too hard...

Pom Pui used to be my favorite Italian restaurant in CM, but I now prefer Pasta Cafe on Nimannheimin soi 5. A lot of great Italian dishes to chose from and the prices are more reasonable (even though they recently raised prices a little). For me the quality at Pom Pui seems to have slipped whereas Pasta Cafe seems to compare with some of the best Italian food I have eaten in various parts of the world (and I grew up in a very Italian neighborhood in NY and have lived extensively in Europe). Also with the ambiance you would expect to be paying 3 times what they are charging.

I also like the pizza at both Duke's and "Mr. Chan and Miss Pauline's" (on Huay Kaew between Nimannheimin and Canal Rd., north side of the street).

I never noticed the quality to slip in Pum Pui... but cheers seeker I shall try out Pasta Cafe when I go back to Chiang Mai.

Hi All

Ive just opened a new Fish & Chips shop called Danny's located in the Muay Thai Boxing Stadium and Beer Bar Centre on Loi Kroh Road. We use fresh grouper fillets which we purchase daily and do it in a special beer batter with home made chips.

We also do great hot dogs using Old English Sausages and large buns with Bacon onion and cheese. We have burgers and English Pies as well. Basically its a small takeaway with Pub Food for the Customers of the Beer Bars and those on Loi Kroh Road,

Hope some of you can check it out.