Amphur without computer

Tried to marry at several amphurs (townhalls) last week in Bangkok but because my name is to long it does not fit in their computer. And..........this is not a joke. (I have 3 middle names).

Does anybody know closeby amphurs around Bangkok where they still write marriage certificates and do not use computers yet ?? I asked around but I keep on ending at computerized amphurs. Went to 6 already and getting a little bit frustrated.

Thanks,

John

Yes, Amazing Thailand ha ha

Did you use your middle names as initials ?

I tried that also but they didn"t want to do this at the 6 amphurs. Reason they gave me was that in my non-marriage certificate all my names are written in full, no initials.

But I guess Thailand has a trillion amphurs so I will keep on trying.

John

I went to register my marriage at a small amphur (Khamcha-I) in December 1999.  They were all confused - they had (or so they told me) NEVER processed a farang marriage before.  So they sent me to the changwat administration building (Mukdaharn), where things worked out fairly easily.

So - you may want to also try registering at a changwat admin building.  They seem to be a little bit more adventurous and resourceful than the amphurs.

In my business, I have found that the European system of giving peoplesix to eight names (godmothers, godfathers, ancestors, etc.) is a BIG problem in processing Thai bureaucratic papers.  The name must match the way it is written in the passport - exactly.  So - if you want to use initials, get it put that way in your passport.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam Group

Question if you married outside Thailand why do you feel you need to register the marriage at the amphur? Up until last year

I was on one year visa's to Thai wife , married her in US. Never registered with Amphur. Immigration never asked and I wasn't about to do it. I now have Thai citizenship.

There isn't any advantage to register

I am not married abroad so that is also no option for me. And yes, the Thai system gets totally confused if you have a lot of names as in the european system. I still find it remarkable that amphurs don't have a back up system for this. In the future when all amphurs in Thailand are hooked up to the computer system this will mean that there will be no possibillity to marry in Thailand for some people, unless you are able to change your passport. For me, I can not change my passport to mention initials only because my government does not allow this.

Maybe I will have to visit Patani in the end afterall. (ha ha) Wednesday I will visit some more amphurs and hope I get lucky.

John