Nicked For Drugs On Phangan

A friend of a friend is sitting in jail in Phangan at the moment after he was caught with small amounts of weed and a few E's. Police have told him he will have to go to court in 2 weeks and offered to let him out of jail in the mean time (minus his passport) for 100,000 baht. This sounds a little high to me. What is the likey outcome? Fine? Jail time?

What a fool your friend is..... me thinks he should just pay the money, can't imagine wanting to spend 5 minutes in the jail yet alone risking spending an extended time in there over a few baht.

Perhaps he will think again about his drug habbit in asia :o

What a fool your friend is..... me thinks he should just pay the money, can't imagine wanting to spend 5 minutes in the jail yet alone risking spending an extended time in there over a few baht.

pritty goofy comment "neverdie"..................Ya the kid got shafted he could have got the whole thing dropped if he'd given the arresting officier 20,000 on the spot. Now he should pay the money and slip to malaysia. If he's smart he'll split.....their comming down hard on E the pot is no big deal :D

I'll second MSingh.  Any negotiations for that much "bail money" should include passport, otherwise get a lawyer.

If he pays and does not get his passport then it is not "negotiations for release", its bail. Any under the table negotiations would include the passport. So, in all likelihood, given that he is already sitting in jail and most likely been processed, its probably too late for such negotiations.

unforgiven

Ya the kid got shafted

pretty goofy comment "unforgiven".

the "kid" pretty much shafted himself, nobody shafted him at all. he brought it all on himself.

it serves no purpose to say that it serves him right , but .... it serves him right.

I agree with SBK. Is too late to get the passport back. That money is only to get out jail an IMO is just a kind of extortion money. Get a (trusty) lawyer to get out jail and wait for bail. Usually people pay some 30/50.000 to get out waiting for Samui bail.

I agree, caught with E is more serious that with grass only... This is not Europe :o

Good luck for your unprovided friend!

Poor guy. Can't really say too much, but "negotiation" is the best thing. Get somebody to help you who knows how things work over there.

As for you guys who say is serves him right, don't you remember when you were young?

Edited by malcolmswaine

If he pays and does not get his passport then it is not "negotiations for release", its bail. Any under the table negotiations would include the passport. So, in all likelihood, given that he is already sitting in jail and most likely been processed, its probably too late for such negotiations

This sounds right. I would add that

If you pay bail then you get a receipt. The receipt in the persons name who payed the bail is then used to collect the money after the court appearance and verdict. It can take a few days to to get it back and comes back as a cash cheque (in my experience) though it's only payable to the cops as cash. Don't know what happens when you're on the receipt and get deported.

Edited by Sel

I'll second MSingh. Any negotiations for that much "bail money" should include passport, otherwise get a lawyer.

If he pays and does not get his passport then it is not "negotiations for release", its bail. Any under the table negotiations would include the passport. So, in all likelihood, given that he is already sitting in jail and most likely been processed, its probably too late for such negotiations.

It's never to late for the $$ in this Country sbk... :o

pritty goofy comment "neverdie"..................Ya the kid got shafted he could have got the whole thing dropped if he'd given the arresting officier 20,000 on the spot. Now he should pay the money and slip to malaysia. If he's smart he'll split.....their comming down hard on E the pot is no big deal :D

Unforgiven, <deleted> is this 'goofy' for? Please explain. Goofy isnt so bad anyway, been called alot worse :D

Malcolm, Yes I remember when I was young, I wasnt taking drugs though.....<deleted> are you on about, do you think all young people are STUPID enough to be running around taking illegal drugs. :D

Weed should not be a problem ; but ecstasy is imported and certainly for some business reason.

Locales, by not having a hand on this market are getting very upset.

Also, waiting two weeks before going to court is also a bad sign.

<deleted> are you on about, do you think all young people are STUPID enough to be running around taking illegal drugs. :o

Those of us who haven't been left behind by social evolution and don't spend Saturday nights reminiscing about their stamp collections will probably have fallen into your "STUPID" category at least once in their lives. What do you think people are doing when they're going to the Full Moon Party. Wake up :D

Malcolm,if everybody knows what goes in at the full moon party dont you think the cops do too.

The stupidity isnt realy about taking drugs,thats crazy,the stupidity is using drugs in Thailand,and he has done the crime,so tell him to stop whinging and take his sentence like a man and not a wimpering child.

Its a friend of a friend and he still sticks up for the druggie,methinks you are a druggie too?????

you are correct too,everybody does something stupid in life but this guy is certainly short of a few brain cells,using drugs in Thailand.

You seem to think theres only two types of people in this world, 1. Stamp Collectors & 2. Grubby druggies. You miss the point. That's tantamount to saying anyone who drinks the occasional glass of wine is a Grubby Alcoholic.
Edited by Rooo
flaming not allowed please.Rooo.

Anyone know a good lawyer on Phangan?

the only one i know and recommend for such things is in Nathon/Samui opposite the Police Station....a wee bit to the right...

Mr.Poonsak

call:

fax:

ask for Ms.Nok - she speaks English rather well...

PM Samuian for relevant phone #'s.

Edited by Rooo
Phone #'s removed.Rooo.

I'll second MSingh. Any negotiations for that much "bail money" should include passport, otherwise get a lawyer.

It's never to late for the $ in this Country sbk... :o

I know someone pretty well that knew a guy that got pinched for a myriad of different chemicals. Guy got taken to the station where he offered 1 million as his opening bid to make it go away.  BIB after a few days came back with 2 million as a counter and the poor bloke didn't have that much, so, hi ho, hi ho, it's off to court he goes. He should have opened up with a lower bid.

I know someone pretty well that knew a guy that got pinched for a myriad of different chemicals. Guy got taken to the station where he offered 1 million as his opening bid to make it go away. BIB after a few days came back with 2 million as a counter and the poor bloke didn't have that much, so, hi ho, hi ho, it's off to court he goes. He should have opened up with a lower bid.

Exactly...

My threory, not that i'd hope i'd have to use it in this instance but you know what i mean, is start as low as possible as whatever you do start with, expect to pay at least double IE 100k turns into at least 200k, 1m turns into 2m etc etc etc..

If you start high ( no pun intended ) then they're aware that you've got a bit of $$ so of course they're gonna go for more..