State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6080866.ece

From Times OnlineApril 12, 2009

Army mobilises for Thai state of emergency

(Apichart Weerawong/AP)

Soldiers and tanks rumble through Bangkok after declaration of state of emergency

Sian Powell in Bangkok

Armed soldiers and tanks have been deployed around Bangkok after the Government’s declaration on state television this afternoon of a state of emergency in the Thai capital and surrounding areas.

The state of emergency forbids people to gather in groups of more than five, which one anti-Government "red-shirt" described as a hostile decision.

“The red-shirts regard that action as a declaration of war against the people of Thailand,” Jakropob Penkair, the activist leader, told reporters.

Tensions soared in Bangkok after the arrest this morning of the red-shirt activist who led the invasion of a South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in the Thai resort town of Pattaya, sending foreign leaders fleeing and humiliating the Prime Minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship activists over-ran the summit with remarkable ease yesterday, even though Thailand had deployed thousands of police and soldiers to guard the resort venue.

The red-shirts were attacked by a group of pro-government blue-shirt activists, who hurled sticks and bottles, but they fought back and pressed on to the summit venue, breaking in and sending officials scurrying for cover. A number of foreign leaders were evacuated from the resort by helicopter. Others, including the Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, turned back before they even reached Pattaya.

Mr Abhisit, who came to office four months ago after a number of opposition supporters defected to his side, said today that legal action would be taken against those who derailed the summit.

“I insist that over the next three or four days, it is most important for the Government to prove it can bring peace to the nation,” he said in a weekly address to the nation.

“If there are requests for me to resign or dissolve parliament, don’t worry, I am prepared to make such decisions. But today, in the current situation, what I have to do is to bring peace to the country, bring back governance and have a process of political reform.”

Police arrested red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruangrong this morning, infuriating his supporters, who are now besieging Government House in Bangkok. Mr Arisman, a former politician the party of the fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was apparently detained for leading his followers to invade the summit venue in Pattaya.

The follow the lead of Mr Thaksin, who has been addressing them from overseas and fomenting their discontent.

After the successful siege he congratulated them on their victory and told them to prepare for further action. “Our people in Bangkok and the provinces can unite to change the country,” he said.

Mr Abhisit earlier said he wanted to reschedule the ASEAN summits, which have now been derailed twice – the first time late last year, when another group of activists, the so-called yellow-shirts, occupied Bangkok’s airport. However analysts expressed doubt that foreign leaders would be willing to risk returning to Thailand for the meetings.

THAILAND’S POLITICAL RAINBOW

Red-shirts: The common name for the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), the red-shirts support Mr Thaksin and the various proxy governments which have followed his line since his exile. The red-shirts have been revved up by almost nightly broadcasts from Mr Thaksin over the past week. They have been rallying in the tens of thousands, successfully besieged the summits in Pattaya, and demand the dissolution of the current government.

Yellow-shirts: The anti-Thaksin group who support Thailand’s current government, grouped under the umbrella of the People’s Alliance for Democracy. The yellow-shirts occupied Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport to devastating effect late last year, and eventually forced the Thaksin-aligned government out, much to the chagrin of the red-shirts.

Blue-shirts: A new group of government supporters, a rag-tag mob which emerged from nowhere in Pattaya. The red-shirts hold dark suspicions the blue-shirts are hired thugs answering to pro-Government politicians.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braking New!!!!!

Security guard of Apisit killed 3 innocent red shirts at the military headquarter!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lied about no one has hurt. This undemocracy gorvernment control all the medias to give out wrong infomation about red shirts. More red shirts fight for their right to live in democracy country but they are not accpepted. They are trying to shut down the only democracy TV station and leave their open like NBT and AS TV to attack red shirts.

So many red shirts out there seek for their real elected government and real democracy and they are getting hurt my the military government with the guns shooting at them.. Please pass it all, becauase you will not know any of this story come out from regular Thai medias. This government has killed many people and they lied about it....

I'm out there to see with my own eyes and see how many innocent people asking this government and Apisit, and Prem ( Privy counciller) to resign..

keep it up penguin, you will be rich by the end of this, maybe thaksin will give you a place in his privy council......

Information Minister?

Democracy is where the Majority rules

and 100,000 thousand red shirts is not the majority of Thai people

I challenge anyone to pull such a number of people to come in one day to protest.

Let's take for granted Khun Thaksin pays them to come, can anyone hire this amount of people? Khun Thaksin's money cannot be more than total money the ruling class have.

Who paid students to protest in the past? Who paid other people to protest in the past?

When people are pressed to a certain level, they will stand up to fight for their lives.

This photo does not include the reds near the main stage.

I'm proud of them to get up and fight for their right to live with decent clean elected government not a mafia government Apisit.. They ( miltary and Apisit) killed some red and didn't allowed any medias to say. I'm out there in the real situation..

You are not out there, you are online and flooding this thread repeatedly with the same lines

Edited by ozfarang81

Reds have managed to turn the public against them, now, if they get squashed, people won't lament their demise, all that talk about democracy and peaceful protests is out of the window now.

It is also possible that the army/police won't have the guts to disperce their protest, ignoring their obvious calls for ovethrow of the government, hoping they'll disappear to celebrate Songkran. Could work for a while, but the leaders calling for insurgency need to be arrested or they will start again and Abhisit will look even weaker if he fails to deal with them now.

Perhaps they are waiting for darkness and fresh reenforcements and then let the hel_l will break loose, in the middle of the night. The less reds are around the better it is for everybody.

The whole thing is being staged IMHO

How can there not be a single picture??

Please forgive my ignorance.. What the <deleted>> is "IMHO" :o

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion :D

It is OLD but still used, from the days before multi-media ...

D-Station has stopped broadcasts about 15 minutes ago by order of the government.

Democracy and free speech, Abhisit style.

Rainman, if you ae simply trying to flame, ok, otherwise you are such an ass

When mob rule prevails, and a state of ememgency has been declared, certain basic rights are shelved.

Some of the things you spout, strangely enough, I do agree with, but when you try and be 'cute' you loose it.

Your redshirts are now not protesters, they have become rioters and insurectionists. There is a point where even you should know when to stop blowing their horn.. If your common sense is allowed to come through, that is.

Backing your team is one thing. Showing your belief is one thing. But condoning mob rule and violence is not in anyones best interests. Step back and take a look at what is happening.

Well said Gonzo. Rainmen is full of crap. I have been following him the last couple of days and he keeps going on and on about the same old rubbish.

This is REAL Rainman - NOT some theory lesson - get real yourself !!

Now this I would call flamings and personal attacks. Chill out, people. It's actually funny to see you guys fighting over other people's business.

All those saying that Abhisit and the current government are illegal and illegitimate are totally wrong and know nothing about how a Parliamentary system of government works.

Abhisit was elected in the same manner that all Members of Parliament of all parties are elected.. He was elected as an individual and his party was assigned a number of additional seats for distribution of their "list" candidates based on Proportional voting patterns. This was the same for all Political Parties in Thailand.

It is up to the parties to either win a majority or arrange for a coalition with other parties to create the necessary majority to create and control a government.

This is what happened with Abhisit and the Democrats after the dissolution of the previous majority Puah Thai party. It is Constitutional and legal, no matter what the Red shirts are saying. If Phau Thai could have found a way to remain in power constitutionally then they would still be the government today. They couldn't and they can't. Their current actions are the ones that are illegal and illegitimate, beside just sour grapes of sore losers. Legally their only recourse is to wait for another election, which the current government is under no legal or moral obligation to call, until their constitutionally set term as elected MPs has expired. Just like any other government that has changed due to a No-Confidence vote in parliament. In this case, it wasn't a No-Confidence vote that brought the government down, but a ruling of the Highest Court in the land. (The same kind or ruling that put an illegitimate President in power in the USA... But Americans may have bitched... justly, but no one started a revolution... and it took 8 LONG years to finally correct that situation.)

If Corruption and Vote-Buying were not prevalent in Thailand, and if the TRT, PPP, and Puah Thai parties had ran an honest election they would not have had their parties dissolved.

The Democrats were able to establish the necessary controlling coalition, and Abhisit as leader of the Dems became Prime Minister. This is how it would work in the UK, Canada, Australia, and all other Parliamentary democracies, and so it happened here.

Demonstrators disrupting the peace are criminals, whether Red, Yellow or Blue shirts. They are no different them demonstrators who violated the peaceful assemblies at the Group of 20 conference in London a few weeks ago, or WTO conferences or the Democratic convention in Chicago many years ago... The difference is that at recent demonstrations, like in London, security is well executed and demonstrators are kept under control, allowing for the legitimate and peaceful expression of their grievances. Those that get unruly and start to get out of hand are swiftly brought to justice, and order returns... The exception of course was Chicago in 1969, where you had a riot caused by police action.

What is happening now here is an inevitable product of a society that considers all demonstrations to be a "Mob", and that has no proper understanding of what it truly means to participate in a Democracy and what is the proper execution of the right of protest. This is, of course, a natural by-product of the lack of proper education, a Mai Pen Rai attitude to Corruption, and the application of censorship and un-earned respect... all by-products of a Feudal System that worships Money over all, with no respect for the rule of law... unfortunately, the situation that exists here now.

Thailand has descended into a place where a total breakdown of the rule of law and respect for dissenting opinions will inevitably lead to a total political melt-down and a disintegration of their society... and probably this is for the better... only a catastrophic event can clear the path for the cleansing of their political and cultural deficiencies, which have only contributed and directly led to the events of the last few years, months and days.

Oh well... TIT

CS

Surreal! - As tanks roll in the streets of Bangkok, here in Phuket we are having a nice parade in Patong to mark the start of Songran.... the only guns are water guns

Simon

Well..............Sawadee-bee-mai.............Happy Songkran to you Simon :o

My wife tells me that there was a time in Thailand when pretenders to the throne would be killed together with 7 circles of their family. wives, siblings, children, nephews and nieces, cousins, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. I always thought that was a bit over the top, but I'm coming around.

a 150 years ago?

Reds have managed to turn the public against them, now, if they get squashed, people won't lament their demise, all that talk about democracy and peaceful protests is out of the window now.

It is also possible that the army/police won't have the guts to disperce their protest, ignoring their obvious calls for ovethrow of the government, hoping they'll disappear to celebrate Songkran. Could work for a while, but the leaders calling for insurgency need to be arrested or they will start again and Abhisit will look even weaker if he fails to deal with them now.

Perhaps they are waiting for darkness and fresh reenforcements and then let the hel_l will break loose, in the middle of the night. The less reds are around the better it is for everybody.

The reds might not be a majority but they have support and they are angry. The question is will the military disperse them or will Abhsisit be forced to resign? There have been reports that Abhisit went beserk at Suthep and police and military commanders after Pattaya. That doesnt signal he is in command or at least in command strongly.

There could be a strange ending to this. We will see soon. Will the police use tear gas? That wil be phase one. If they dont, Abhisit is gone. There are lots of different players in this onn both sidesand Abhisit's faction of the Dems are about to see if they retain enough support.

all imho

It seems anarchy is upon us, channel 3 is showing a fleet of light tanks and APC,s swarming with red shirts and the soldiers coming out and being thrown off them .

sorry for my bad english....What does that mean thrown off them??

The whole thing is being staged IMHO

How can there not be a single picture??

Please forgive my ignorance.. What the <deleted>> is "IMHO" :o

IMHO= in my humble opinion

cheers :D

Thanks, my friend (richardo as well!) :D

it was on the news here in NL at noon:

soe declared for BKK and adjacent districts

Red's have attacked Abisit's car, but it happened to be the wrong car

Red's have seized two armoured cars of the police... without significant resistance from the police

Since I heard this i am worried to death as i have to fly in next tuesday

:o

To Travel2003. Thanks. My son's flying back to BKK from London this afternoon. According to airport info the plane's still due to depart on time. Obviously a worry, but he's booked the flight and wants to get back to his wife & children!

However, we're watching this site from UK and hoping it all calms down tonight!

Edited by oldmerlin

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is already enough hostility and bad blood on the streets today. Lets not add to it. Lets comment on the issues with compassion for people in harms way, and pray that the situation gets resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.

Its Easter Sunday - for you Christians. Hold that grace in your heart before you flame or attack here.

All those saying that Abhisit and the current government are illegal and illegitimate are totally wrong and know nothing about how a Parliamentary system of government works.

Abhisit was elected in the same manner that all Members of Parliament of all parties are elected.. He was elected as an individual and his party was assigned a number of additional seats for distribution of their "list" candidates based on Proportional voting patterns. This was the same for all Political Parties in Thailand.

It is up to the parties to either win a majority or arrange for a coalition with other parties to create the necessary majority to create and control a government.

This is what happened with Abhisit and the Democrats after the dissolution of the previous majority Puah Thai party. It is Constitutional and legal, no matter what the Red shirts are saying. If Phau Thai could have found a way to remain in power constitutionally then they would still be the government today. They couldn't and they can't. Their current actions are the ones that are illegal and illegitimate, beside just sour grapes of sore losers. Legally their only recourse is to wait for another election, which the current government is under no legal or moral obligation to call, until their constitutionally set term as elected MPs has expired. Just like any other government that has changed due to a No-Confidence vote in parliament. In this case, it wasn't a No-Confidence vote that brought the government down, but a ruling of the Highest Court in the land. (The same kind or ruling that put an illegitimate President in power in the USA... But Americans may have bitched... justly, but no one started a revolution... and it took 8 LONG years to finally correct that situation.)

If Corruption and Vote-Buying were not prevalent in Thailand, and if the TRT, PPP, and Puah Thai parties had ran an honest election they would not have had their parties dissolved.

The Democrats were able to establish the necessary controlling coalition, and Abhisit as leader of the Dems became Prime Minister. This is how it would work in the UK, Canada, Australia, and all other Parliamentary democracies, and so it happened here.

Demonstrators disrupting the peace are criminals, whether Red, Yellow or Blue shirts. They are no different them demonstrators who violated the peaceful assemblies at the Group of 20 conference in London a few weeks ago, or WTO conferences or the Democratic convention in Chicago many years ago... The difference is that at recent demonstrations, like in London, security is well executed and demonstrators are kept under control, allowing for the legitimate and peaceful expression of their grievances. Those that get unruly and start to get out of hand are swiftly brought to justice, and order returns... The exception of course was Chicago in 1969, where you had a riot caused by police action.

What is happening now here is an inevitable product of a society that considers all demonstrations to be a "Mob", and that has no proper understanding of what it truly means to participate in a Democracy and what is the proper execution of the right of protest. This is, of course, a natural by-product of the lack of proper education, a Mai Pen Rai attitude to Corruption, and the application of censorship and un-earned respect... all by-products of a Feudal System that worships Money over all, with no respect for the rule of law... unfortunately, the situation that exists here now.

Thailand has descended into a place where a total breakdown of the rule of law and respect for dissenting opinions will inevitably lead to a total political melt-down and a disintegration of their society... and probably this is for the better... only a catastrophic event can clear the path for the cleansing of their political and cultural deficiencies, which have only contributed and directly led to the events of the last few years, months and days.

Oh well... TIT

CS

Sorry, the 2006 coup was illegal, and so was the scrapping of the 1997 Peoples Constitution.

Every event since then is illegtimate in all reality, and is the root cause of all the problems today.

End Of Story.

It seems anarchy is upon us, channel 3 is showing a fleet of light tanks and APC,s swarming with red shirts and the soldiers coming out and being thrown off them .

sorry for my bad english....What does that mean thrown off them??

Grabbed and thrown of the tanks.. like you stand on a tank grab an other person and then push him off. Your english is probably a lot better as my thai so dont worry about it.

it was on the news here in NL at noon:

soe declared for BKK and adjacent districts

Red's have attacked Abisit's car, but it happened to be the wrong car

Red's have seized two armoured cars of the police... without significant resistance from the police

Since I heard this i am worried to death as i have to fly in next tuesday

:o

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is already enough hostility and bad blood on the streets today. Lets not add to it. Lets comment on the issues with compassion for people in harms way, and pray that the situation gets resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.

Its Easter Sunday - for you Christians. Hold that grace in your heart before you flame or attack here.

second that even though I am not a Christian. And for us mostly foreigners on here it is not our fight. The Thai people must decide their destiny and they are emotive enough about it without us adding to that.