State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

To Travel2003. Thanks. My son's flying back to BKK from London this afternoon. According to airport info the plane's still due to depart on time. Obviously a worry, but he's booked the flight and wants to get back to his wife & children!

However, we're watching this site from UK and hoping it all calms down tonight!

No worry, most part of Thailand is celebrating Sonkran. The red mob is just in a few areas in the center.

As well neither the army nor the government nor the red or yellow have any problem with farangs. The risk to have a car accident is 1000 times higher than other troubles.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Thailand has descended into a place where a total breakdown of the rule of law and respect for dissenting opinions will inevitably lead to a total political melt-down and a disintegration of their society... and probably this is for the better... only a catastrophic event can clear the path for the cleansing of their political and cultural deficiencies, which have only contributed and directly led to the events of the last few years, months and days...

The term "catastrophic" is fearsome. Hopefully there is some other way. But yes, something dramatic and different needs to happen.

All those saying that Abhisit and the current government are illegal and illegitimate are totally wrong and know nothing about how a Parliamentary system of government works.

Abhisit was elected in the same manner that all Members of Parliament of all parties are elected.. He was elected as an individual and his party was assigned a number of additional seats for distribution of their "list" candidates based on Proportional voting patterns. This was the same for all Political Parties in Thailand.

It is up to the parties to either win a majority or arrange for a coalition with other parties to create the necessary majority to create and control a government.

This is what happened with Abhisit and the Democrats after the dissolution of the previous majority Puah Thai party. It is Constitutional and legal, no matter what the Red shirts are saying. If Phau Thai could have found a way to remain in power constitutionally then they would still be the government today. They couldn't and they can't. Their current actions are the ones that are illegal and illegitimate, beside just sour grapes of sore losers. Legally their only recourse is to wait for another election, which the current government is under no legal or moral obligation to call, until their constitutionally set term as elected MPs has expired. Just like any other government that has changed due to a No-Confidence vote in parliament. In this case, it wasn't a No-Confidence vote that brought the government down, but a ruling of the Highest Court in the land. (The same kind or ruling that put an illegitimate President in power in the USA... But Americans may have bitched... justly, but no one started a revolution... and it took 8 LONG years to finally correct that situation.)

If Corruption and Vote-Buying were not prevalent in Thailand, and if the TRT, PPP, and Puah Thai parties had ran an honest election they would not have had their parties dissolved.

The Democrats were able to establish the necessary controlling coalition, and Abhisit as leader of the Dems became Prime Minister. This is how it would work in the UK, Canada, Australia, and all other Parliamentary democracies, and so it happened here.

Demonstrators disrupting the peace are criminals, whether Red, Yellow or Blue shirts. They are no different them demonstrators who violated the peaceful assemblies at the Group of 20 conference in London a few weeks ago, or WTO conferences or the Democratic convention in Chicago many years ago... The difference is that at recent demonstrations, like in London, security is well executed and demonstrators are kept under control, allowing for the legitimate and peaceful expression of their grievances. Those that get unruly and start to get out of hand are swiftly brought to justice, and order returns... The exception of course was Chicago in 1969, where you had a riot caused by police action.

What is happening now here is an inevitable product of a society that considers all demonstrations to be a "Mob", and that has no proper understanding of what it truly means to participate in a Democracy and what is the proper execution of the right of protest. This is, of course, a natural by-product of the lack of proper education, a Mai Pen Rai attitude to Corruption, and the application of censorship and un-earned respect... all by-products of a Feudal System that worships Money over all, with no respect for the rule of law... unfortunately, the situation that exists here now.

Thailand has descended into a place where a total breakdown of the rule of law and respect for dissenting opinions will inevitably lead to a total political melt-down and a disintegration of their society... and probably this is for the better... only a catastrophic event can clear the path for the cleansing of their political and cultural deficiencies, which have only contributed and directly led to the events of the last few years, months and days.

Oh well... TIT

CS

Sure, it's all legal if you choose to forget about the military and judicial coups that have happened to the elected governments over the last few years. Successive oustings of elected governments do not take place in the countries you mentioned (canada, britain, etc). Maybe they did 100 years ago, but not anymore. Time for Thailand to grow up.

The reality of the situation is that the government, the armed forces, the police, the civil servants, the politicians, the mob leaders, and the mob followers have all failed Thailand. Police should enforce the law, Army should protect their charges, government should work to solve the peoples problems, and the mobs should protest in a peaceful non-violent manner.

I weep for this beautiful country, with its beautiful people, and its awful bureaucracy .

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is already enough hostility and bad blood on the streets today. Lets not add to it. Lets comment on the issues with compassion for people in harms way, and pray that the situation gets resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.

Its Easter Sunday - for you Christians. Hold that grace in your heart before you flame or attack here.

second that even though I am not a Christian. And for us mostly foreigners on here it is not our fight. The Thai people must decide their destiny and they are emotive enough about it without us adding to that.

I don't see much difference in killing people on normal days or on holy days.

Dead is dead....If there is a god he won't appreciate it on any day.

If there is none it wouldn't matter as well.

It seems anarchy is upon us, channel 3 is showing a fleet of light tanks and APC,s swarming with red shirts and the soldiers coming out and being thrown off them .

sorry for my bad english....What does that mean thrown off them??

As in given the big heave ho. :o

you don't need to know your boss to receive wages from him and to follow his orders

the money you refer to as stolen, it was stolen, for the first time all day i agree with you.

however it was stolen by thaksin from the thai people not by Abhisit

it is still in seizure, if i was Abhisits advisor i would tell him to unfreeze it, offer every red shirt 10,000 baht to go home and see how many of you committed advocates of democracy would be left in Bangkok then

you would all be back in the bosum of your family in isaan celegrating songkran faster than a bride dropping her nightdress on wedding night.

anything left over could be used to pay for the damage you reds have caused and to pay for your trials when you all get dragged to court to answer for your treasonous acts

The reality of the situation is that the government, the armed forces, the police, the civil servants, the politicians, the mob leaders, and the mob followers have all failed Thailand. Police should enforce the law, Army should protect their charges, government should work to solve the peoples problems, and the mobs should protest in a peaceful non-violent manner.

I weep for this beautiful country, with its beautiful people, and its awful bureaucracy .

The police never enforced the law in Thailand, but maybe it would be enough if they would collect the usual bribes from the protesters....

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There is already enough hostility and bad blood on the streets today. Lets not add to it. Lets comment on the issues with compassion for people in harms way, and pray that the situation gets resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.

Its Easter Sunday - for you Christians. Hold that grace in your heart before you flame or attack here.

second that even though I am not a Christian. And for us mostly foreigners on here it is not our fight. The Thai people must decide their destiny and they are emotive enough about it without us adding to that.

I don't see much difference in killing people on normal days or on holy days.

Dead is dead....If there is a god he won't appreciate it on any day.

If there is none it wouldn't matter as well.

I agree.

Well put.

Abhisit urges people not to panic, officials ready to suppress protesters

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on TV at 5:20 pm Sunday that the authorities were now ready to suppress protesters.

He urged the public to remain calm during the operations.

The Nation

My ideas:

1. The Army kicks down the government and installs an Army lead government

2. There will be no elections for at least 5 yrs

3. The army government selects appropriate ministers from universities, industry etc.

4. Thaksin must be caught and eliminated

It sounds funny but I think that would be the only working scenario right now. The country is anyway not mature enough for democracy as we see.

Reading reports and judging from bits on the news it seems the reds are barricading themsleves into a central area while the military and police (?) are taking charge of important areas outside this central zone. That doesnt automatically lead to clashes if it is true. The reds can sit where they are and military have them surrounded and hopefully that gives time for some back door deal.

Or maybe Im just being optomisitc.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...fficials-ready-

Abhisit urges people not to panic, officials ready to suppress protesters

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on TV at 5:20 pm Sunday that the authorities were now ready to suppress protesters.

He urged the public to remain calm during the operations.

The Nation

They have pushed ths situation to the limit Most of these reds havent got a clue what is real - the most information they have ever read is from a 10 page cartoon mag.

On the nation there are several news about the protesters blocking the streets with cars, buses motorbikes.

Any army guy here??

When the army has tanks, no mater how old they are, this shouldn't be a big issue or?

I saw a few pictures of tanks going over cars and it didn't look very difficult so what is the issue on that???

Guys listen to poster 301 even if you are not christian. And besides that you think the government looks up TV and listen to you :o

Fred you do not need to wait for them to read your thoughts

you can email abhisit at abhisit at abhisit.org and tell him yourself

i have...

If it was ever in doubt that Abhisit was an ineffectual leader it isn't any more.

Absolutely the wrong man for the job.

Times like this you need a Chalerm or a Thaksin, as odious and grotesque as they are.

He certainly doesnt seem to have much control although we will no doubt see how that develops tonight. Even if the reds are broken up it may have more to do with other groups interests than Abhisit's. He is set up to take the fall if it fails or if if there is mass death. That is dangerous as the generals are now just obeying government instructions and if it goes wrong...... For him to come out of this he needs the reds broken up with few casualties or for them to just go home.

At first i thought the Army were on the yellow shirts side (as they let them take over swampypoom airport)

Now they let the red shirts into the Asean meeting and now the interior ministry (BBC reporting the army just let them in)

I come to the conclusion that the Army are just incapable protecting government buildings/people or other property.

Incapable.

This is unbelievable, it really is.

Cambodia or Burma should seize their chance and just invade. Who's going to stop them? The Army cant, that's pretty clear!!

You hit the nail there? ,,,,and swampypoom hehehehe mak ma,( Stupid 2 say but funny) :D Am available 2 put some law and "order" into this country (4 a "small" fee of course) :o

On the nation there are several news about the protesters blocking the streets with cars, buses motorbikes.

Any army guy here??

When the army has tanks, no mater how old they are, this shouldn't be a big issue or?

I saw a few pictures of tanks going over cars and it didn't look very difficult so what is the issue on that???

Most the Army foot solidiers are from where most of the rural and poor population are........the normal recruitment area. Thats the North, the NorthEast and the East. This is where the majority of THAI people are.

Their brothers and sisters and fighting for Democracy, are the foot solidiers really going to stop them.................

[

I wish. That being the case, what the <deleted> are they doing with those tanks ??

As I understand the soldiers didn't want to cause blood in the streets, that's why they allowed the reds to sit on the vehicles. At the same time the reds have no idea how many tanks are deployed in Bangkok right now. I saw with my eyes and I saw soldiers arming heavily in their camps. The reds can't take the power, I believe so because they don't have enough support.

Their brothers and sisters and fighting for Democracy, are the foot solidiers really going to stop them.................

Please stop lying, the reds are not fighting for democracy, they stopped doing that yesterday when they attacked the ASEAN meeting and removed all validity of their movement today when their leaders urged them to kill abhisit and fight the government.

the red shirts are a mob, worse than the PAD who they hate.

The order goes like this: Human>Politician>Mammals>PAD>Pond Scum>UDD

After all the ugly pictures on TV the Reds can never be Thailand's government. The vast majority of Thai people will never accept them.

If they would succeed today it is just a matter of time until the next mass rally and coup d'etat would happen!

Any army guy here??

Most the Army foot solidiers are from where most of the rural and poor population are........the normal recruitment area. Thats the North, the NorthEast and the East. This is where the majority of THAI people are.

It would appear by most of the comments here that people are seriously underestimating the support the "reds" have in the North and East of the country, where indeed the majority of the nations population resides. They have a HUGE support base that will come out in full force if things escalate much further and the end result will indeed be full blown civil war including a split within the security forces, Interesting times ahead...

The current government is illegitimate.

The PAD LOST the last election.

Do they think they can ride rough shod over democracy and expect the voices of the people to be silent?

There will be blood............................

The previouse government was illegitimate! They were thrown out because they rigged the election.

Any army guy here??

You are correct in saying they are largely from up country - but in all previous skirmishes like this, they were also from the same catchment areas - nothing new.