State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Their brothers and sisters and fighting for Democracy, are the foot solidiers really going to stop them.................

Please stop lying, the reds are not fighting for democracy, they stopped doing that yesterday when they attacked the ASEAN meeting and removed all validity of their movement today when their leaders urged them to kill abhisit and fight the government.

the red shirts are a mob, worse than the PAD who they hate.

The order goes like this: Human>Politician>Mammals>PAD>Pond Scum>UDD

Angry words were said indeed, when the red representative was arrested, but they didn't include 'KILL'. It's okay to have an opinion in these matters, but don't you think the Nation and the Post are giving this show enough spin without contributing more?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nation

Round Three: Nation on the Brink

By Tulsathit Taptim

The political showdown has reached the point where everyone can only pray and nobody dares to predict the outcome.

Thaksin Shinawatra says he wants to "conclude" it during, if not before, Songkran. Abhisit Vejjajiva says everything will return to normal after Songkran. What will this dangerous common ground of the two men who have become arch-rivals lead us to is anyone's guess.

One day after the whole of Thailand is the ultimate loser, the nation is staring at one of the most monumentous political showdowns in modern history. And interestingly, both warring parties are up against the ropes. Thaksin and the red-shirted movement have gambled with everything they had, alienating themselves from non-partisan Thais with the kind of aggession that has put the already weak Thai economy in jeopardy and further threatened frabics of nationhood. Abhisit, on the other hand, has cornered himself with the Mr Nice Guy approach and the only way to shore up his wavering legitimacy is to act tough.

Thaksin has nothing to lose, albeit except Bt76 billion which may be the final answer to the question "Why?". Abhisit has everything to lose and some values to protect.

The prime minister was said to have lashed out at the police, military and government kingmaker Suthep Thaugsuban after the Pattaya debacle which is costing much more than just his face. The turmoil that caused the cancellation of the Asean summit with dialogue partners, however, has eaten into public sympathy for the red shirts as much as Abhisit's leadership.

Declaration of state of emergency in Bangkok and its suburbs was Abhisit's only choice. If it wasn't his last throw of the dice, it was something very close. A failed state of emergency like the one declared by the ill-fated government of Samak Sundaravej last year could doom Abhisit's reign. But a bloodshed as a result of the state of emergency could also generate political repercussions that are as bad, if not worse.

And Abhisit's state of emergency will be enforced against a backdrop of doubtful loyalty from the police and, to a lesser extent, the military. Conspiracy theorists are seeing an increasingly isolated prime minister after what should have been a high-alert security routine in Pattaya provided a non-existent barricade allowing protesters to sleepwalk to the summit hotel in great numbers. Other analysts, however, simply view the outbreak of red-shirted aggression as a result of a too-cautious approach of authorities too fearful of things getting out of control.

It will become evident very soon whether Abhisit is acting tough when it's too late. If they had failed in Pattaya on Saturday, the red-shirted protesters could have been tamed or calm today. But now that they have been buoyed by the Pattaya "victory", the movement will naturally be more difficult to contain.

One thing remains unchanged for Thaksin. A crumbled government, or a House dissolution, or a large-scale bloody riot, or even a coup, will not be enough to bring him home, let alone restore him politically. This is a war just for the man to get even, or at best some leverage to push for return of the frozen Bt76 billion.

So, it's fast becoming a war between enemies whose only way to go is forward. One side is very desperate, while the other has been jolted into a near panic mode. This is the kind of situation where no pundit dares predicting the immediate result, let alone a long-term one.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/12...es_30100345.php

Abhisit suffers minor arm injury

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva suffered a minor army injury when a protester threw something at him while he was leaving the Interior Ministry.

A source said the prime minister went to a hospital for treatment and Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam was closely watching over Abhisit.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...inor-arm-injury

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Government ready to take severe action on protesters : PM

Published on April 12, 2009

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced on TV at 5.20 pm Sunday that the public should be panic (sic) with the chaos caused by red shirted protesters and his authorities were now ready to suppress protesters.

He urged the public to remain calm during the operations.

His announcement came shortly after some 1,000 police armed with full gear including tear gas were heading to the Government House reportedly to crack down on the red shirted protesters rallied.

Abhisit has declared state of emergency in Bangkok and five other provinces on Sunday afternoon after lifting the laws in Pattaya and Chon Buri on Saturday.

The protesters have instigated chaos in the city on Sunday including road blockings and seizing armoured vehicles and buses.

The Nation

Please, no tanks on the streets... this looks like the beginning of the end

No, it will not be the beginning of the end, but rather the end of the beginning, that is to say the beginning of a new period of the military ruling this country, and this time round it will be for about 3 to 5 years until such time that political matters calm down, having elections now will not solve the problem as the Thaksin group will win again, and then the team "YELLOW" will mobilize the streets again, ans then we have the whole thing starting again.

A difficult political situation indeed, which will affect Thailand in all aspects, and one hopes that Thai politicians will recognize this and act accordingly.

The Nation is reporting that Abhisit was injured slightly during the Red's storming of the Interior Ministry.

There is no defense for these actions. There is no rationalization for these actions. These protestors must be stopped, and order must be restored. They are not fighting for democracy. They are a mob, and must be dispersed.

I have seen PM Abhisit appear on TV 3 times in the past hour. He is not running or hiding (aka Thakin, Somchai, Etc).  He is leading his country, and I am very proud of him.

I am informed the Army will not do anything.

They will not use force against the Reds.

The politicians will be given the choice to step down, or be removed.

An anti-Democrat/Coalition coup is looking very likely, unless they dissolve the House.

While that certainly sounds fascinating, I would request you name your source, or else refrain from posting wild speculation. Things are too serious.

An anti-Democrat/Coalition coup is looking very likely, unless they dissolve the House.

I sincerely hope you are right! If they step down, then a fair supervised election can be held and all sides should stand by the result. All without bloodshed.

This is getting very interesting now.

I am informed a brother and sister are being sent to Khon Kaen tomorrow.

Mum in honey, brother and sister now united in rose.

And yet the dumb farangs on here still have no clue what the real underlying battle is, and why its so.

Sorry LevelHead, please explain....

Lets just say, the Army will take no action against the reds, just the same as none was taken against the yellows.

The politicians must step down, or be removed is what I am hearing.

Informed by whom? do you have military advisers from inside telling you their plans?? Get real!

The current government is illegitimate.

The PAD LOST the last election.

Do they think they can ride rough shod over democracy and expect the voices of the people to be silent?

There will be blood............................

Sorry but you need to get your facts straight.

PAD is not a party, it has never been in an ellection and is not (part of) the government.

The current government is 100% legitimate. The current prime minister has been democratically elected by the Parliament.

The current government (as it is now) is not the one that was elected, as the P.P.P and it's coalition partners were ALL dissolved BY LAW because of vote buying

Well said jbhh. Nice to see that someone commenting on this sad state of affairs actually knows the facts about the legitamacy of the government. Of course like the mob on the street, there are those voicing their opinion on this forum who either don't know, or don't care, or both.

Via a regular tv station, I saw a group of reds on the tank. They took control of one tank now.

Are you very proud about the fact that a Bhuddist monk act like a hooligan hitting a car,

shame on him!!!!!

CNN just reported that red shirt lost all credibility and they respect Abhisit for his restrain, not step in the trap your terrorist organisation is set up for him.

They also report that its only a few thousand reds are cousing the problems and that there is not support from the Thai public for those actions.

Luck you have an PM like Abhisit, who don't like to use violence. You should respect him for that, and sooner or later when you will grow up, you will respect him for that.

And all of this is happening while the coward T hiding himself abroad together with his family, while he set the country on fire. Why at least he doin't send his children to give an helping hand, or are they much more important than the children of the misguided ignorants who fight his battle for regaining his billions;

Grow up Koo before you will ashame yourself more.

While that certainly sounds fascinating, I would request you name your source, or else refrain from posting wild speculation. Things are too serious.

LOL, you sound exactly like SJ.

i think it is quite obvious.... without having to provide any souce... that the army won't be doing anything , they don't have the will.

Informed by whom? do you have military advisers from inside telling you their plans?? Get real!

Watch and learn who has the contacts and sources.

Time always shows who knows what at the end.

Their brothers and sisters and fighting for Democracy, are the foot solidiers really going to stop them.................

Please stop lying, the reds are not fighting for democracy, they stopped doing that yesterday when they attacked the ASEAN meeting and removed all validity of their movement today when their leaders urged them to kill abhisit and fight the government.

the red shirts are a mob, worse than the PAD who they hate.

The order goes like this: Human>Politician>Mammals>PAD>Pond Scum>UDD

Angry words were said indeed, when the red representative was arrested, but they didn't include 'KILL'. It's okay to have an opinion in these matters, but don't you think the Nation and the Post are giving this show enough spin without contributing more?

Ok, you are right the word kill was not used, but according to the nation (spin or no spin they don't print absolute lies) he did and i'm paraphrasing here, urge people to attack the PM and attack the government. Them are fightin' words to use an american phrase.

I've never agreed with the UDD but i always respected their right to demonstrate to get their way, but their latest actions took them beyond simple protestation to full fledged insurection. The attack on the ASEAN was pushing it, but in then the PAD did sieze the airport. Even though the excuse of "but they did it first" is one of the most childish to use, i thought ok ok, they might still have a point. When they urged the UDD to attack the government, be it in a fit of rage and emotion or not they crossed the line and surpassed the PAD in the depths of thuggery. I now have no more sympathy for them at all and nothing they can say or do except disperse never to be heard from again can chagne that. Somethings you just can't come back from.

But i will apologize for my outburst, just because the reds lost the plot does not mean i can.

The Nation is reporting that Abhisit was injured slightly during the Red's storming of the Interior Ministry.

There is no defense for these actions. There is no rationalization for these actions. These protestors must be stopped, and order must be restored. They are not fighting for democracy. They are a mob, and must be dispersed.

I have seen PM Abhisit appear on TV 3 times in the past hour. He is not running or hiding (aka Thakin, Somchai, Etc).  He is leading his country, and I am very proud of him.

He can be a good guy. The point is that he cannot make the job. It's not a question of yellow or red. He's not ABLE to manage the situation.

He did not fire the responsible of the mess (army chiefs, police officer, ministers, etc.). He did not bring Sondhi to justice. He makes NOTHING for the country.

Ageed! Name your source.

LOL, you sound exactly like SJ.

i think it is quite obvious.... without having to provide any souce... that the army won't be doing anything , they don't have the will.

I would suggest that a man who uses a coward and convicted fugitive for an avatar is also not the most credible of sources. Request stands.

I sincerely hope you are right! If they step down, then a fair supervised election can be held and all sides should stand by the result. All without bloodshed.

I agree... an election whos result is honoured by all side is the only way

Watch and learn who has the contacts and sources.

Time always shows who knows what at the end.

anybody here could make a statement like yours which you have likely gotten off your thai girlfriend. I suppose if it turns out to be true you expect us to think you have some high up contact who is telling you exactly how it all will play out.

A quick comment from the 'stronghold of the reds', Chiang mai or I should say the suburbs of CM.......They don't really give a s_it!! Too busy throwing wter to care and methinks that most of 'the rural poor' are doing the same. The wife is an educated 'rural poor' that married a falang and I am the one giving her the news as it breaks [in between water fights].

Throwing water is more inportant than your country falling apart!!! SANOOK while there is water!! SUFFER when the water stops!!!

On the nation there are several news about the protesters blocking the streets with cars, buses motorbikes.

Any army guy here??

When the army has tanks, no mater how old they are, this shouldn't be a big issue or?

I saw a few pictures of tanks going over cars and it didn't look very difficult so what is the issue on that???

Right solution but 6 months late.

They should have rolled on the airport last year.

You will recall that the PAD claimed legitimate protest rights bestowed on them after the coup. Rights that were supposed to enable them (PAD) to bring down a TRT Government if it got into power.

They used this "right" and got rid of two PM's and installed their own guy.

However, with massive lack of foresight, they left the right to protest in place and can hardly whinge now when it is being used by the reds.

The entire world saw what happened last year and have better memories than ASTV viewers.