Odds Of An Airport Shut Down?

Carmine6

I have tickets to arrive BKK next weekend.

Does anyone think there is a high likelihood of an airport shutdown within the week? I'm guessing shutdown part 2 is low probability since a state of emergency is already in place. But I never followed the discussion on why the airport was targeted last time.

Doubtfull it will close. Primary Escape route for the main players

When things get totaly out of control.

Cuts both ways. Make sure it stays open for that reason, but target it for that reason. I hope keeping the escape route open wins.

Doubtfull it will close. Primary Escape route for the main players

When things get totaly out of control.

I doubt if it gets bad they will fly the PM out via swampy. He will be whisked out by a military base somewhere. Its getting very bad now. Thaksin is calling for a full scale revolution and he will return to lead them again. I doubt very much they will allow that to happen. I thought they might call it a day for sonkran but evidently not. Sad times for the LOS

The airport was shut to make it hard for the then PM to fly in. The reds don't have the tacit patronage of people in high places. They're also more likely to trash the airport. I think there would be carnage if they tried it.

Worse case scenario is you don't have the option as airlines pull flights. They all took a hit last closure and delivered an ultimatum to the government about a boycott if it happened again. The military would be able to keep at least one runway open, even if it meant killing alot of people.

Went through yesterday morning and noticed loads of security check points (mostly sleeping)but generally very quiet.

Check in was fairly good but Immigration took amost 2 hours ...and I was in the Thai line....worse ever experienced.

Lots of mutterings from departing jolliday makers to the effect of ...wont be coming back to this Sh*Th*le.....SAD :o ..init.....

Went through yesterday morning and noticed loads of security check points (mostly sleeping)but generally very quiet.

Check in was fairly good but Immigration took amost 2 hours ...and I was in the Thai line....worse ever experienced.

Lots of mutterings from departing jolliday makers to the effect of ...wont be coming back to this Sh*Th*le.....SAD :o ..init.....

Did you get the feeling that those were people who decided to leave early? Or were on their scheduled departure?

Seems like there might be a fair amount of folks trying to get out when they can just in case.

Check in was fairly good but Immigration took almost 2 hours ...and I was in the Thai line....worse ever experienced.

Thats a bit worrying.We are due to fly to Bali on Saturday but Air Asia only opens check in 2 hours before,I think !

We have to stay in Bangkok one night but this time are staying near the airport rather than our usual Sukhumvit hotel.

Hopefully,with the troops being deployed,airport closure wont happen but I've told the wife the holiday could be in Koh Chang instead...just in case! :o

It seems that last night army pushed the protesters back to government house and i believe they are not going to let them back to downtown or airport again. There was also reports last night that red shirt leaders asked all protesters to pull back to government house and remain there for non-violent protest.

For me it seems that worst is over now, however situation is still volatile but closing of airport highly unlikely now when army has shown it will take action.

Check in was fairly good but Immigration took almost 2 hours ...and I was in the Thai line....worse ever experienced.

Thats a bit worrying.We are due to fly to Bali on Saturday but Air Asia only opens check in 2 hours before,I think !

We have to stay in Bangkok one night but this time are staying near the airport rather than our usual Sukhumvit hotel.

Hopefully,with the troops being deployed,airport closure wont happen but I've told the wife the holiday could be in Koh Chang instead...just in case! :o

They do not leave without you. The staff knows if there is delays in immigration and they delay the flight as long as all passengers are thru immigration. So as long as you get your boarding pass and head straight to immigration you have nothing to worry.

Flying AA i still would head to the airport early as there is always long que for the check-in desks.