BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
thaigerd

Airline Food

Many of us are flying in or out Thailand with different airlines.

Tell us about your experience please!

Gerd

I had some nice beef jerky on Geruda once. It was made in Australia though.

Because my flights usually go through Singapore and I like the Pizza in the airport there I seldom eat on the plane for the final 6 hour leg to Australia.

This year I flew Qantas to Sydney and was quite impressed with the continental breakfast.

I find most of the airline meals average and usually only eat on flights to stave off hunger pangs.

One meal that stood out was on a Thai Airways flight to Melbourne and I think it had more to do with presentation than the quality of the food. It was a beef panang . Condiments in little decorated bags and a couple of other things just made the meal stand out.

The worst ever was on Saudi Airlines out of Jeddah during gulf war 1. Slices of spam complete with imprints of the tin it came from and fried eggs that looked felt and tasted more rubberized than the rubber imitation fried eggs sold in joke shops.

Usually never have a problem with airline food but have never had anything that's made me go wow either. Not picky with food but just could not eat the the stuff they served on Aerosvit the first and last time I flew with them.

:o

Best food experience on an airline:

Quite a few years ago (about 1980, or so), I took an JAL flight from Bangkok through Tokyo to Los Angeles. The plane was overbooked, I think two flights were combined into one, and I was upgraded into FIRST CLASS from economy. Absolutely great meal with smoked Salmon. Food served by a chef on the airplane, prepared to your taste. I've never been that lucky with an upgrade again.

Worst food on an airline:

Had a business class flight on Gulf Air from Athens to Bangkok with stopover in Bahrain. Meal was labeled as a "Mediterranen Fusion" cusine (whatever that is supposed to be). Main course consisted of some kind of unidentified crackers (biscuts for you Brits) with a Tomato sauce, Olives, Mushrooms, Red Beans on a bed of wilted lettuce, and some kind of rancid tasting oil poured all over it. The thing actually smelled rancid. Totally impossible to eat. To be fair to Gulf Air, that was on the Athens to Bahrain leg. The Bahrain to Bangkok leg was better, though not great.

Avoid anything that is advertised as a "fusion cusine".

:D

Airline food, by and large, is poor. Why the need to try and re-create a "proper" meal with different courses and dishes, why not just give everyone a 500 gram, ready-meal-style lasagne, curry, cottage pie, etc? The attempt at creating a many-dished meal is always rank and bears no resemblance to the food it's trying to immitate, it just seems plastic and fake. Or why not just stick in a load of bagguettes, quishes, sandwiches or any other simple but tasty and easy food?

Anyway, for what it's worth, the best food I've had on a plane was on Sri Lankan Airlines, and by far the worst was on Royal Nepal Airlines - barely eddible.

:D to say none, unless you count some good coffee :o:D on Northwest Airline several years ago otherwise :D:D

I am not a fan of airline food generally, but I flew BKK - KL recently on Air Asia and (paid for) a roti chennai - absolutety stunning. This became my breakfast lunch and dinner in KL hence the 5 kilos I put on in 6 weeks, but sadly (or fortunately?) I can't find them here and have dropped it already.

Roti chennai in Pattaya anyone?

Sorry if I make a stink of this, but was wondering if anyone else gets gassy from airline food? is it just the pressure at 35000 feet? and I notice that aroma is unique similar each time I fly, regardless of airline.

I fly frequently from Bangkok-Los Angeles-Bangkok on EVA Air. The best solution for the meal problem in my case is to order "Chinese vegetarian" in advance. I find most of what is pesented at least palatable although some food items look a bit strange. I used to order Indian vegetarian but I grew tired of the curry taste for three meals in a row, even though I like curry.

Worst food - easy.

British Airlines in economy - I once had the "chicken", that I will swear was made with a rubber chicken rather than with something that was ever alive.

Best food - in economy - was actually Thai Airways long-haul on the queen's birthday where they did a special mussiman curry one time. And yes, people were actually raving about it as being better than curry in a restaurant after they landed. Even Thai's regular curry in economy is prettu good though.

Best food though has to have been the Sevruga caviar in First on Thai. (I paid economy, using my free upgrade to business voucher when I qualified for my gold card, then got upgraded to First (for free again) at the gate.) However this dated back to when Thai's first class seats didn't even compare favourably to other airlne's business class seats, but the food was excellent.

Worst food - easy.

British Airlines in economy - I once had the "chicken", that I will swear was made with a rubber chicken rather than with something that was ever alive.

Best food - in economy - was actually Thai Airways long-haul on the queen's birthday where they did a special mussiman curry one time. And yes, people were actually raving about it as being better than curry in a restaurant after they landed. Even Thai's regular curry in economy is prettu good though.

Best food though has to have been the Sevruga caviar in First on Thai. (I paid economy, using my free upgrade to business voucher when I qualified for my gold card, then got upgraded to First (for free again) at the gate.) However this dated back to when Thai's first class seats didn't even compare favourably to other airlne's business class seats, but the food was excellent.

Yes, TG has got many international rewards for their massaman dishes.

Gerd

i am vegeatrian,so i am never happy with the airline meal,i always eat somthing at airport before flying

Just been on a round-trip to Germany with Qatar again and with Etihad to London, last November, must say the meals are good, considering what it takes to prepare a meal, or several meals for an air-plane trip!

The best so far was the "Beef Rendang" with Qatar on the trip back from Doha to Bangkok, aromatic, flavorsome!

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli was good too!

Personally i would like to see more Salad and fruit in the menu as a choice!

The worst meal I had with Aeroflot in the Seventies... grey chicken, with 2 slices of grey bread... just the looks of it, put me off!

Just been on a round-trip to Germany with Qatar again and with Etihad to London, last November, must say the meals are good, considering what it takes to prepare a meal, or several meals for an air-plane trip!

The best so far was the "Beef Rendang" with Qatar on the trip back from Doha to Bangkok, aromatic, flavorsome!

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli was good too!

Personally i would like to see more Salad and fruit in the menu as a choice!

The worst meal I had with Aeroflot in the Seventies... grey chicken, with 2 slices of grey bread... just the looks of it, put me off!

:o:D:D ...we must have been on the same plane!

Will never forget my first(and last) Aeroflot flight, also in the seventies.

Gerd