Tourists At Phuket Airport Greeted In Traditional Way & Plans Not Disturbed By Demos; Enjoyed Water Festival In Phuket;

NBT TV Phuket

Tourists arriving at Phuket International Airport on 13 April, Songkran Day the traditional Thai New Year, were greeted with traditional Thai ways, while foreign visitors said the demonstrations in Bangkok do not disturb their holiday plans.

Andaman News team from NBT TV Phuket reported that around 1,000 passengers who arrived at Phuket International Airport with four airlines yesterday morning were warmly welcomed by the airport authority.

Passengers were impressed by the traditional long drums, Thai desserts and refreshment while some opted to pay respect and pour water over a Buddha image which the airport arranged in celebration of traditional Thai New Year. The passengers arrived with Thai Airways international, Bangkok Airways, Silk Air from Singapore and Air Asia.

Phuket Airport Manager Wicha Noenlop stated that during this Songkran holiday period the airport accommodates 40 flights daily, both domestic and international, bringing in around 10,000 passengers per day. He however admitted that the number declined compared to the previous year. So far there were no flight cancellations nor any flights rerouted from Bangkok to Phuket.

Two foreign passengers said they intended to have a relaxed vacation in Phuket and plan some snorkeling. They said the demonstrations in Bangkok do not disturb them and the reason they chose Phuket in Thailand to holiday in was that they thought the destination is safe.

---------

Tourists enjoyed the water festival in Thailand ’s southern resort of Phuket, despite turmoil in Bangkok .

Andaman News team from NBT TV Phuket reported that thousands of residents and tourists, Thais and foreigners, enjoyed water splashing in the popular Soi Bangla lane in Patong on the resort island of Phuket on Monday to celebrate the traditional Thai Water Festival of Songkran. The 500 metre long Soi Bangla, which was closed to traffic, was packed with water players who splashed water at each other in a fun way. It was similar on other roads, especially the beach road of Thaweevong and the back road parallel to the beach road which was packed with tourists, some of them repeat guests, booked to come over particularly for the Thai Water Festival. A group of American tourists said they heard about the demonstration in Bangkok , but did not worry about the situation and said that Thai people should keep to their reputation and value of a peaceful and friendly culture. They however said they still appreciate the hospitality of the Thais and the food plus superb traditional Songkran Festival they experience in Phuket.

A group of Malaysian tourists who came to Phuket before going to Haad Yai City commented that they had never been in this fabulous water festival before and really enjoyed it. They said they loved the beach, the people and most of all the water splashing in Phuket.

Meanwhile some members of big bikers who gathered in Phuket for its Bike Week festival said they do not mind the demonstration in Bangkok as it did not affect their activities in Phuket. One of the big bikers from England said ‘last time we came there was an airport blockade, but we managed to get out and this time it’s a demonstration, but in Bangkok ’. He said it does not concern him and ‘let the Thais do their own house-work’. Around 4,000 big bikers were in Phuket for their annual gathering during Songkran holiday period.

--------------

Residents and visitors to Phuket visited temples to make prayers and blessings for the Thai New Year

Andaman News team from NBT TV Phuket reported that one of Phuket’s famous temples, Wat Chalong on the south side of the island was busy with Buddhists who visited the temple to make prayers and make wishes for a prosperous life for the Songkran Festival, recognized as Thai New Year. Many of them told ‘Andaman News’ that they made wishes to have Thais ‘get a grip’, concentrate and unify to bring back peace and national reconciliation.

At Promthep Cape , Phuket’s famous viewpoint, it was busy with tourists who came up to observe the spectacular views. Thai tourists told us that even though they enjoy vacationing in Phuket, they are concerned and regret about the situation in Bangkok . Some of them pleaded for Thais to unite and stop violence and restore Thailand ’s value of a peaceful and smiling Siam .

-------

Also on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/show...ws_desc=ANDAMAN NEWS&dday=2009-04-14

------------------

Andaman News returns on NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Thursday 16 April 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

We wish all TV viewers a happy peaceful Songkran holiday for those that appreciate it!

Dep Sec Gen to PM met Phuket leaders to revive tourism

After the dispersion of demonstrators at the Government House, leading to a calmer situation in Bangkok on Tuesday afternoon, the Deputy Secretary General to the Prime Minister Mrs. Anchalee Thepabutr held a meeting with the tourism sector in Phuket to assess the tourism affects and listen to their views and needs. The meeting, which included the President of the Hotel Association’s southern chapter Mr. Metee Tanmanatrakul, Phuket Tourist Association president Somboon Jirayus and representatives from Chinese travel agents. The private tourism representatives gave their proposals and requests for tourism stimulus measures via Mrs. Anchalee to the government to restore tourist confidence and enthusiasm to return to Thailand.

The Thai Hotel Association’s southern chapter President proposed the government send messages through travel agents to apologize to tourists worldwide and then attract back the potential or existing markets, including Asian and European. Metee also suggested that the government makes it a national agenda to invite tourism industry players nationwide to launch special promotion campaigns boosting the Thai value and real identity of Thai friendliness to attract back visitors.

Mrs. Anchalee stated that the government is promptly taking action to revive the tourism image overall to restore travelers’ confidence. Assessments for impact and needs from each region are being gathered to present to the government. She said she is confident that tourists are still interested in traveling to Thailand and that the country must take action quickly to facilitate tourists’ convenience.

Andaman News team, NBT TV Phuket, Wednesday 15 April, 12.15pm

Andaman News may return Thursday 16, Friday 17 or probably Monday 20 April 2009 on NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

We have a word for that kind of tv filming its called propaganda the germans were good at that in the second world war. When all around you is in deep trouble just film things that make it look as though there is nothing to worry about and all is well. Well i for 1 dont go with that and neither will most of the tourists planning on comeing to phuket soon or in the near future. We know your tourism leaders are in the s t because of the lack of tourists due to thailands decline into a power riddled country what has shown it self to the world media just how it is run the pictures of the Helicopter ferrying the asian summit ministers told us the thai gov't could not guarrentee there safety so what chance have we the unsuspecting holiday maker have.

aww c'mon guys, don't let personal bias taint this. Look around. The tourists to Phuket are oblivious to the protests. Many of the flights now are direct from Germany, TPE, SIN, KUL etc. so tourists don't even come close to the disruptions which are now finished. I was in BKK during the ASEAN meetings and aside from massive security at a hotel we stayed out, I wouldn't have known there were protests. What's damaging tourism is the worldwide economic meltdown and the pricing of services and the deterioration of those services in Phuket, pure and simple. Tourists are more sensitive to 10% room increases and the ever present garbage and traffic issues than they are to redshirts vs blue/yellowshirts in a far away city. None of the protests has put the typical tourist in harm's way. Bad for economic investment and for general business operations most definitely, but impact on the junketeer? Negligible. Bangla was filled with them and not one was worried about the situation. Beer and ugly BGs have a calming effect I reckon.

We have a word for that kind of tv filming its called propaganda the germans were good at that in the second world war. When all around you is in deep trouble just film things that make it look as though there is nothing to worry about and all is well. Well i for 1 dont go with that and neither will most of the tourists planning on comeing to phuket soon or in the near future. We know your tourism leaders are in the s t because of the lack of tourists due to thailands decline into a power riddled country what has shown it self to the world media just how it is run the pictures of the Helicopter ferrying the asian summit ministers told us the thai gov't could not guarrentee there safety so what chance have we the unsuspecting holiday maker have.

With respect to the analogy to which you allude, you are almost 100% correct. :o

The anomalies obviously lie in the time period between the events stated. What the general population knew and had access to, as regards to communications, etc, were a very different matter during the decades of the 1930’s and 40’s. With the advent of Satellites and internet, instant news is available on ya lap, as it happens, warts and all. If ya living within the bubble of Lalaland and have a stake in it, it may be that it’s a case of, “ships? I see no ships!” If ya live in Outer Earth, ya may see things with a keener eye and any Buffalo shat thrown from the inmates simply misses the target.

I don’t think that from his hotel in Dubai, ‘old square head’ has shown his last hand in stirring the current pot of trouble, and I understand the ‘state of emergency’ has not been lifted by the present incumbents. (I stand corrected if this has changed.)

I would suggest to the inmates this; If you were considering taking your family to any country for the first time and the preamble to your visit was the images and sounds of anarchy and gunfire, would you really purport to the illusion that, “well, it’s gunfire and murder here but, hey, look at the fake smiles down the road, yeah, let’s all go there!”??? :D

I would suggest to the inmates this; If you were considering taking your family to any country for the first time and the preamble to your visit was the images and sounds of anarchy and gunfire, would you really purport to the illusion that, "well, it's gunfire and murder here but, hey, look at the fake smiles down the road, yeah, let's all go there!"??? :o

Well, I live on Phuket Island and I see no 'anarchy & gunfire' here on the Island or anywhere near the Island. Bangkok is 1,000 Km away from Phuket. I certain do not recommend taking the family to Bangkok right now.

What's with you guy's slagging off Phuket ??

We are merely reporting the current normal calm situation here in Phuket & 2 other Andaman provinces; we do not cover events in Bangkok or Pattaya. We are not uploading any film/video as short staffed and program off air until next week:

------

Phuket bus terminal sees about 30% of passengers delay their return journeys after the government announced a public holiday extension.

Phuket bus terminal on April 15th Wednesday afternoon was not busy as a small number of passengers used the service. The bus terminal manager said this was due to passengers postponing their return journeys after the government announced April 16th and 17th as additional public holidays.

According to the bus terminal manager, Prasit Bhothong, bus seats are fully booked until April 20th while about 30% have requested to delay their journey. He expects a busy service this coming weekend. He advised that if people want to request any postponement, they ask at least 3 hours prior to departure to see if seats are available on the revised date.

Phuket bus terminal provide 20 trips daily to accommodate passengers during the Songkran holiday period. The bus terminal manager assured that it can handle the high number of passengers and can provide sufficient and efficient services for passengers.

<P> Andaman News team, NBT TV Phuket, Thursday 16 April 11.40am

<p> Andaman News may return on Monday 20 April 2009 on NBT TV (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

We are merely reporting the current normal calm situation here in Phuket & 2 other Andaman provinces; we do not cover events in Bangkok or Pattaya. We are not uploading any film/video as short staffed and program off air until next week:

Well said, and completely demolishes the remark ....

"We have a word for that kind of tv filming its called propaganda the germans were good at that in the second world war" from member mrukman who is not one of the usual contributors to the Phuket Forum and one has to wonder how often he/she visits Phuket Island... :o

Well, I live on Phuket Island and I see no 'anarchy & gunfire' here on the Island or anywhere near the Island. Bangkok is 1,000 Km away from Phuket. I certain do not recommend taking the family to Bangkok right now.

What's with you guy's slagging off Phuket ??

...groan :o ….please point to the part in my post where I say “Phuket”….no gunfire on Phuket?....sheesh, like I ‘did’ say, inmates=”ships? I see no ships!”

Please read and understand the contexts of the posts before slagging the forum member’s off. As for Murky’s post, he was just stating his opinion, and the usual inmate rhetoric of ‘He doesn’t live/visit often, blah, blah..” wasn’t really an unexpected cliché reply.

By the way, thanks for the geography lesson.

Just my 1 Baht contribution.