Fishing Forum Now Open

SlackJawChef

First question then;

For the recreational fisherman, do you bring the fish home and ask the wife or g/f to clean and gut or do you do it yourself? :o

When I can get away with it, I put them back. It's more fun to catch em than to kill em/eat em.<br>However, if my wife hears about me putting them back I get a lecture. Although it is OK to give them away. I have cleaned them too, but she seems to like it, so I don't have a problem.

Do any of you tie flies or make your own fishing lures? It is my hobby is why I ask.

I used to tie my own flies, now I am in Thailand and wish I could get some fly gear. I made my own rod from bamboo, now I need a reel.

What kinda lure do you use for snakehead (plachon)? got a picture?

Do any of you tie flies or make your own fishing lures? It is my hobby is why I ask.

See Ian Forbes posts from the Chiang Mai forum. He's the resident fly fisherman and has some recent posts from Canada that will make your jaw drop. Maybe a mod can move those posts over here.

Cannuck, I don't know much about the lures, but I went out to a lake near Chiang Mai the day before yesterday with my daughter's boyfriend and he caught a plachon (snakehead or serpenthead) with lure, I can't photo it because he lost it on the next cast, but it was a 2" green fish shaped thing that bobbed and weaved. I tried with worms until he caught his on the lure, then I tried the only other lure we had, a little frog pulling a silver spinner but hooked nothing except a submerged log. A local guy nearby with a crossbow in a tree stand was spearing one about every 20 minutes. That was our first go at that lake, so now we know more about where to fish it.

The attached pic is from a local catfish stocked lake and a giant mekong catfish that bottomed out a 20kg scale, took me over half an hour to land it. We caught several good sized cats that day, chumming with bread baskets. Those catfish bury themselfs in a mud bar and you have to drag them out without breaking the line, to resume the fight.

Terrorize and release only at that lake; I usually only fish for food. And Geri I clean the fish myself, but I don't know why but I hate to scale the ones that need it; I'll pay someone to do that.

post-74166-1239866454_thumb.jpg

post-74166-1239867427_thumb.jpg

Edited by drtreelove

I used to tie my own flies, now I am in Thailand and wish I could get some fly gear. I made my own rod from bamboo, now I need a reel.

What kinda lure do you use for snakehead (plachon)? got a picture?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Catching-Pla...el-t217690.html

Thanks everyone that voted and posted.... the new fishing forum is open.......

Community forums >sports & hobby's > fishing

Not sure how to link directly, but I'm sure someone can help me out......

PM "George" or any other Admin or Mod. They can do it

Yes I do. Flies, spinners, lures.

I love trout fishing, fly or lure. I make my own minows.

I have been fly fishing at sea too, absolutely love it :o

What do you fly fish for and where. Would love to find a place to fish for bonefish, fantastic fighters.

Mostly I make spinnerbait for Bass and Barramundi, essentially any fish that likes to lay in the weeds and grabs what goes by. Also make tube Flies for saltwater and salmon and steelhead. Use Q-tip plastic stems for making the Tube Flies they work very well and if you hunt around enough can find Q-tips in different colors, very inexpensive.

Can't bring myself to fish for catfish etc. as they don't have enough fight to be fun. All of the ones mentioned above are good fighting fish but don't think LOS water is cold enouth for them, with the exception of bonefish.

Tied my own flies for a year or so but we don't do much fly fishing where I am as the winds are so strong and we do most of our fishing in the sea.

Often make my own plugs though, turn them on a small lathe. They are pretty good - make some big bloopers for GT's etc and these save me a bomb. Cost me about $3 to make and $15 - 30 to buy.

Yes I do. Flies, spinners, lures.

I love trout fishing, fly or lure. I make my own minows.

I have been fly fishing at sea too, absolutely love it :o

What do you fly fish for and where. Would love to find a place to fish for bonefish, fantastic fighters.

Mostly I make spinnerbait for Bass and Barramundi, essentially any fish that likes to lay in the weeds and grabs what goes by. Also make tube Flies for saltwater and salmon and steelhead. Use Q-tip plastic stems for making the Tube Flies they work very well and if you hunt around enough can find Q-tips in different colors, very inexpensive.

Can't bring myself to fish for catfish etc. as they don't have enough fight to be fun. All of the ones mentioned above are good fighting fish but don't think LOS water is cold enouth for them, with the exception of bonefish.

I would be looking for Snakehead and Barramundi and I am sure there are other sp worth while, Pacu?

I have seen plenty of Queenfish and small Trevally sp. in the sea close to the shore in Phuket. Also, I would give the catfish a go. I would use one hel_l of a strong rod - 12wt - at least. They might just give you a much better fight than you think. We get huge Koi in our local river here in WA and I can tell you they are cunning and tremendous fighters. What about Arraphia? Try making up a huge fly to imitate a small bird and drag it accross the surface - who knows what you might get? Could even catch a monitor lizard!