Fishing Supplies

robblok

I am waiting for my fishing supplies that i ordered in Holland. I live in BKK but it is hard to find good sinking braids here in Thailand. I also had to order a shimano hyperloop rod (i love the action) because those kind of rods are just not available here in Thailand.

Ever since i tried my shimano hyperloop light feeder here im in love with it. Many times i see the Thais look at it with amazement. They find it great to see how such a light rod can reel in such monster fishes. I admit it takes more work and you have to be more careful but its a lot of fun.

I am wondering if anyone knows good fishing shops in Thailand. Personally i go to rangsit because the stuff is the cheapest there i go with my Thai friends. I have been in the shop at Bungsamran too and it has a nice selection anyone knows any other good shops ?

good question robblok. I, myself, while not a fishing person, happen to be married to a fishing fanatic. He is always asking me to find fishing equipment when I go to Bangkok and I have to admit that, super shopper that I am, my expertise has so far not extended to fishing equipment in Bangkok.

So, if anyone has shops and locations, that would be most appreciated by Mr sbk

signed

sbk

fishing widow :o

good question robblok. I, myself, while not a fishing person, happen to be married to a fishing fanatic. He is always asking me to find fishing equipment when I go to Bangkok and I have to admit that, super shopper that I am, my expertise has so far not extended to fishing equipment in Bangkok.

So, if anyone has shops and locations, that would be most appreciated by Mr sbk

signed

sbk

fishing widow :o

The shop at Bungsamran has some higher priced items that you cant find in other shops. The shop i mentioned in Rangsit is where many other Thai shops buy their stuff. The selection is wide but it does not stock expensive brands (for rods for reels they do).

It really depends on what your guy wants, there is enough to be had.

I have found that most reels are cheaper here then in Europe its just that its hard to get a lil bit more expensive rod.

How about in Chiang Mai?

Anyone here know where the shops are. So far I can only find one on Kaow Narrawat. And it is primarily a mobile phone store.

I love fly fishing.........anybody ever see a fly rod/reel in Thailand?

I have seen places where they fish with them but i havent seen them for sale.

How about in Chiang Mai?

Anyone here know where the shops are. So far I can only find one on Kaow Narrawat. And it is primarily a mobile phone store.

Seafishing wise......

I know a spot that has bonefish and many large milkfish very hard to catch on fly though!!!

River fishing can be good for blah gasoop and blah wien (thai mahseer), the reservois can be good for blah chon and Shado, the strike from these fish is great.

Baramundi fishing with fly can be good fun too in the right lakes, not the stock ponds.

Never seen fly fishing stuff stocked here, Singapore has some good stuff though.

I buy my stuff almost exclusively through the internet.

How about in Chiang Mai?

Seafishing wise......

I know a spot that has bonefish and many large milkfish very hard to catch on fly though!!!

River fishing can be good for blah gasoop and blah wien (thai mahseer), the reservois can be good for blah chon and Shado, the strike from these fish is great.

Baramundi fishing with fly can be good fun too in the right lakes, not the stock ponds.

Never seen fly fishing stuff stocked here, Singapore has some good stuff though.

I buy my stuff almost exclusively through the internet.

Many of the fish here are small.........but on a fly rod they feel large. I think it is something that can grow in Thailand. I would love to catch some big ocean fish on a fly rod. Might have to go to Singapore to get the rod and lines (reel is not that important).

Mr sbk is very fussy and I usually bring stuff back from the US where it is considerably cheaper than here. But rods are a difficult one and sometimes its nice to have to not wait for my yearly trek home.

Also, looking for replacement parts for the more expensive reels here seems to be quite difficult. Mr sbk likes to keep his reels (mainly casting) well maintained, and replaces parts as needed. Does this shop offer replacement parts for reels like Penn?

Many of the fish here are small.........but on a fly rod they feel large. I think it is something that can grow in Thailand. I would love to catch some big ocean fish on a fly rod. Might have to go to Singapore to get the rod and lines (reel is not that important).

It's not true, the reel is important. I say this because I thought the same. So I made my own rod from bamboo, and I thought I could use a regular reel, but I found out quick that you can only put a fraction of the fly line on a regular reel because it is so thick. I could only get a 25 feet of flyline on my spin cast reel. Which is usable, but mostly frustrating. I am going to order a reel from Canada.

Also, don't believe the fish here are small. Many of the largest freshwater fish in the world live in the Mekong and Thai rivers and lakes.

Mr sbk is very fussy and I usually bring stuff back from the US where it is considerably cheaper than here. But rods are a difficult one and sometimes its nice to have to not wait for my yearly trek home.

Also, looking for replacement parts for the more expensive reels here seems to be quite difficult. Mr sbk likes to keep his reels (mainly casting) well maintained, and replaces parts as needed. Does this shop offer replacement parts for reels like Penn?

I have seen them in the shop in bungsamran and i believe most shops stock spare parts. My thai mates always seem to have them (i use spinning reels so i dont have to). But penn is really common here so its easy to buy spare parts.

I usually buy all my tackle at a shop located between Prakanong police station and Onnuch BTS station. If you don't speak Thai you may have difficulty in making yourself undertood.

Yes, that is OnNut sky train station. Assuming you arrive by BTS, go down to the road level and walk back in the direction you came by train (on the opposite side of the road to Tesco). It is not more than about 200 meters away, in the direction of the police station.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Boomtown for the first time yesterday. It's behind Rimping Supermarket (Chiang Mai). The owner is Pat, has a lot of supplies and he has great English as well, I was able to get a lot of info from him about local fishing techniques. I recommend a visit if you are up in this area.

Cheers, will have a look.

Just to report back, your directions were spot on, thanks, I am directionally challenged :)

No Penn replacement reel handles tho. Shimano, Abu Garcia, and a few others, but Penn no. Oh well. At least it was on the skytrain route. Nice man, good shop, typical little shop crammed full of stuff for those who haven't been. Seems like he had a pretty decent selection of fishing stuff, hooks, lures etc etc

• 2 weeks later...