Where Do You Go Fishing?

Mousehound

Where have you been fishing?

Last year I went fishing at the following:

BKK - berng sam ran - good fun with my son - toooo many fish! My best a Mekong of 45K

Chiang Mai - OK for carp to 20K

Kho Sok river - tried for a silvery grey fish which looked like a chub (no, not the safe!) about 18ins - didn't get them

Krabbi - Gillham's resort - fantastic! Red tails, Mekong, Siamese, Chao Peya and hooked but had no chance on a couple of Arraphia.

Pattaya - Jomtien & 3rd Rd (can just classify as fishing if you have had a few too many beers) to20k.

Phuket - beach fishing. Trevally to 2lb.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally I just fish right outside my apartment on the Chao Phaya in Bangkok. Not much in the way of big catches but it is fun none the less. I was looking out from my balcony this morning and noticed quite a bit of activity so grabbed the rod and headed out, managed to get a 5lb silver catfish. Not sure of the name.

Sorry about the pic quality, I snapped it with my phone before releasing it.

post-18203-1241765568_thumb.jpg

Generally I just fish right outside my apartment on the Chao Phaya in Bangkok. Not much in the way of big catches but it is fun none the less. I was looking out from my balcony this morning and noticed quite a bit of activity so grabbed the rod and headed out, managed to get a 5lb silver catfish. Not sure of the name.

Looks like a Chao Phraya catfish - I think they like to hunt in shaols. Caught a few on bread and corn.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice fish!

Were you spinning?

What type of lure did you use?

Most Thai cities have pay for play ponds nearby. Some are okay, some are quite marginal and a few are poor. None are great by western standards, but the fishing is something to do for a few hours. The ponds are stocked with a variety of warm water species from Asia, Australia and South America. All it takes is asking the local tackle shops where they are. The most common species is Pla buk which is a Mekong catfish that can reach sizes over 100 kilos, but probably average between 3 and 20 kilos. Other common fish are barb, carp, breem, common snakehead and a sub species of pirhana called pacu. I know one pay for play pond in Chiang Mai that has peacock bass and a few arapaima. Around Bangkok there are few lagoons that have stocked baramundi from Australia. I was once taken to a pond that had Malaysian bony tongue or Arawana. I was lucky enough to catch one. All the fancy stocked species are for catch and release only. Only a few of the scaled species, such as carp and silver breem are allowed to be kept.

Most of the fishing in pay for play ponds is with live bait for the predator species or dough bait for the bottom feeders. We've had success using white fur body flies that imitate dough bait.

There are fish in all the big reservoirs of Thailand, but you have to compete with the local fishermen who net the lakes 24 hours a day for 365 days a year. There is NO wilderness reservoir that does no have somebody living on it. If you have access to a boat and a guide the fishing can vary between okay and pretty good. The most common species are Giant snakeheads and Jungle perch. Both can be caught on flies, but surface lures with a level wind casting reel work better.

Mekong catfish (Pla Buk)

Ian_with_BIG_catfish_Em.sized.jpg

Ian_with_catfish_3.sized.jpg

Common snakehead

Common_snakehead.jpg

Giant snakehead

Ian_with_Snakehead_1.jpg

Jungle perch. Also known as the transverse barb.

Jungle_perch_2.jpg

Giant snakeheads are vicious predators that eat anything: fish, frogs, snakes and even birds. They are faster than salmon, attack like pike or musky but are smarter than Brown trout. And, they have the jaw power of a shark.

Snakehead_head_1_Em.sized.jpg

This is what happened to a jungle perch after one bite by a Giant snakehead.

Snakehead_bite_1_Em.jpg

I have fished a rather dismal looking pond called Bosan fishing park, just outside east Chiang Mai. Fishing is okay and we always caught something, but the place is rather dirty.

Jon_Thong.jpg

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

A much cleaner location is Dream Park that is also in Chiang Mai. It also has other species including peacock bass and a few arapaima. The bass and arapaima are well fed and difficult to catch on anything but live bait.

Dream_park_3.jpg

Arapaima are huge but difficult to catch because most have been caught before...

Arapaima_1.jpg

Peacock bass...

Peacock_bass_1.jpg

The only arawana I've caught was a long time ago in a pay for play pond south west of Ratchaburi. I was taken there by a friend and no longer know the way despite repeated attempts to find it. It attacked a surface popper and jumped like a tarpon (which I thought it was when I hooked it).

Strange_fish.sized.jpg

Pacu can be found in a variety of pay for play ponds. They are a close relative of the pirhanna and besides eating small bait fish they often eat fruit and berries that fall out of local trees.

Pirhana_with_Sage_Em.jpg

Some get up to 6 or 7 pounds

Angler_Pacu.jpg

Besides the species shown above we've taken huge carp up to 20 kilos, small archer fish, Tilapia and a few small species I can't identify.

Carp

Thai_carp.jpg

Silver breem

Silver_Breem_1_Em.jpg

I never thought Archer fish would take a lure, but they do.

Archer_fish_Em.jpg

Tilapia

Tilapia.jpg

?

Tiny_catfish_1_Em.sized.jpg

?

tiny_swordnose_1_Em.jpg

There are also a few clear mountain rivers in northern Kanchanaburi that have Thai mahseer, bigmouth, jungle perch and species of river catfish. The smaller mahseer can be taken on dry flies and nymps, just like trout. But the bigger fish prefer white minnow patterns.

First_morning_2.jpg

Bigmouth (Burmese trout)

Big_mouth_3.jpg

Mahseer

Mahseer_blue_2.jpg

Jungle perch

Ngao_Jungle_perch.jpg

River catfish

Jon_playing_big_catfish_6.jpg

Great update. I always thought that the most common pay for play pond fish was the striped catfish (known locally as Pla Sawai). Anyway, I've never tried fly fishing in Thailand, thinking that there were very few fish that could be caught that way here. You've clearly shown that is not the case and sparked my interest. The only problem is, I do not recall seeing any fly tackle in the shops I frequent. Is it available here?

Edited by GarryP

I bring my own fly tackle, Garry and I make Chiang Mai my center. My friend, Jon Agustsson, has an outfitting and fly tying business there.

Bangkok is too big for my taste and I don't know any of the tackle stores there.

Been to Borsang fishing lake a few times just outside Chiang Mai (head out of town towards Borsang Umbrella village, when at the big junction, turn left drive through the village iteself and lake is about 1km on left hand side, from memory has a pepsi sign at entrance).

Not being an expert by any means, it seems that absolutely any fool (including me) can catch a big catfish here! Almost guaranteed a catch in this stocked lake that apparently has 10,000 Giant Mekong Catfish!

Good fun for those who WANT to catch a big'un!

One I caught last time there.....

post-65233-1244866000_thumb.jpg

And another by a local....

post-65233-1244866131_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting... that's near my place.. I might have to check it out. Is it mostly Pla Sawai?

I was at shadow lake yestereday. Got a nice 60+ kg pla bug and a smaller pla bug. Also caught a lot of big saway (real big) on a carp rod (much more fun as on those small stiff rods)