Phuket Cancels 'low Season'

george

Phuket cancels 'low season'

PHUKET: -- A group of local hotels and other businesses in Phuket have “canceled” Low Season – April 15 through November 1 – and are renaming the period more appropriately: "Summer Season". The new designation ('re-branding') is being undertaken to better reflect the fact that Phuket is one of the world’s top year-round vacation and second-home destinations.

“We’re going to have a bit of fun with this campaign, which starts with "canceling the Low Season,” says Nick Anthony, Managing Director of Indigo Real Estate,“ and hopefully in the process expose to the world the fact that during summer (April-November), the period formerly known as the Low Season, Phuket has an abundance of delightful sunny weather. Cooling afternoon showers sometimes refresh the island and set up spectacular sunsets, and it’s also a time of good value with lower occupancy, great deals on rates, and a generally quieter island that hums with local festivals.”

The six-month international public relations campaign and internet promotion launching Summer in Phuket also looks to counter negative media reports about the effects of the global economic downturn and internal political issues in Thailand.

“We’re looking to change the incorrect perception of Low Season that the weather in Phuket is poor. Phuket is a great destination which also has enjoyable sunny weather right through the year,” commented Dominique Rongé at The Chedi resort, one of the campaign’s major supporters. “We need to be proactive in delivering our positive message to our audiences, that Phuket’s luxury market is thriving, despite the world tailspin, and that we’re open all year for business.”

For further details about Summer in Phuket and to see bi-monthly good-news stories about the island, visit summerinphuket.com

Meanwhile, local media, hotels and other businesses are invited to attend a briefing session on the demise of Low Season and the birth of "Summer" tomorrow night (April 23) at The Chedi, Surin Beach, from 5:30 to 7:00pm.

For further details, contact Mr Duane Lennie or Ms Phafun Musickaratthamrong, both at 086-948 6836.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-04-22

After the crap that's happened the last 6 months, it will only work if a bunch of naive people book and don't realize that Phuket is located in the country of Thailand.

Was in Bali last week and talking to the Balinese who were overjoyed about the problems in Thailand (realizing that they will be now getting the Aussie tourists among others over the next several months). By the way, Bali also describes their "low season" as the SUMMER season.

Edited by ironhut

Well I have to say that I give them 10 out of 10 for trying a different approach.

But is'nt it known as "low season" becaues the large amounts of rain we receive. Making it a less desirable place to visit as compared to somewhere say in Europe?

Certainly does'nt feel like a summer with all the rain we had this month :o

But is'nt it known as "low season" becauses the large amounts of rain we receive. Making it a less desirable place to visit as compared to somewhere say in Europe?

It does not rain all day, every day during the 'rainy season'. Indeed there are many beautiful days, with light clouds and some sun. I remember a few years back they tried the term 'green season'. So now it's 'summer season'. Whatever you call it, it's a great time of the year as less vehicles on the roads and less tourists cluttering up the place. And don't forget the cheaper room rates.

Heck - its a PR exercise and what's wrong with a bit of positive PR for Phuket (or Thailand in general for that matter)? I say "good on them" for doing so... got a bit of coverage already and hopefully will get more...

Heck, what a dam_n good idea :o . Maybe the world leaders could take a page out of Phuket's book and cancel the credit crunch rebranding it as "The Financial Holiday" :D .

No harm done, people will go to Phuket or they won't, I don't see a bit of PR making a difference one way or another but it won't hurt anyone to try.

Think it has more to do with the high temperatures and humidity rather than just the rain.. The average johnny tourist from Europe like warm weather but they can't stand high humidity and temps close to 40 deg C.. I can applaude the postive spin of the campaign but can't help thinking it's just another cynical plot by the real estate mob to line their pockets... I look forward to 'low season' as it's great for long term residents.. This place would be hel_l if it was packed with tourists all year long :o

But is'nt it known as "low season" becauses the large amounts of rain we receive. Making it a less desirable place to visit as compared to somewhere say in Europe?

It does not rain all day, every day during the 'rainy season'. Indeed there are many beautiful days, with light clouds and some sun. I remember a few years back they tried the term 'green season'. So now it's 'summer season'. Whatever you call it, it's a great time of the year as less vehicles on the roads and less tourists cluttering up the place. And don't forget the cheaper room rates.

which would change if the campaign were successful

see tourism is also looking to cancel the business element of their operations http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=9580

same as every other industry in every country at the moment i suppose

'we are a viable business, its just cash flow, the fundamentals are there, we cannot be allowed to fail' blah blah blah