Richard-BKK

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi :)

Richard, i HAVE a Ubuntu 9.04 CD (ok the beta still but that's quickly updated). But the point is that i want to stick with Hardy - for one it's an LTS release (Jaunty is not!) and particularly because it's running extremely well for me, i just don't want to replace it before another LTS comes out.

I do not NEED the new KDE... i simply WANT it :D But from what i've read on the "net there does not seem to be a way to install it on Hardy at all.

Best regards....

Thanh

He Thanh,

The one excludes a bit the second, as Hardy comes with bullet proof packages, and newer KDE packages are just not that well developed.

About your choice of LTS, I had to convince my g/f that she would get better support for her notebook before she let me upgrade our computers in the office.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 9.04 on my IBM Thinkpad without any problems. I am now trying to install on the desktop over Ubuntu 8.10 but all I get is 'cannot find the autorun program'.

This computer does not have Windows on it, just U 8.10.

What can I do now??

Colin

Hi Colin,

The first thing you have to ask yourself is, do I want to upgrade or do a clean install. The standard Ubuntu 9.04 CD has no function to do a upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. If you want to do a clean install, which erases the complete hard drive, you can use the standard Ubuntu CD.

Make sure you have the right boot device selected in the BIOS setup of your computer, the boot from the Ubuntu CD and follow the install instructions...

Hi.

But that is a function Ubuntu is indeed badly lacking, upgrading via CD. Or at least straight upgrading, say from 8.04 to 9.04 without needing to upgrade to 8.10 first which wastes a lot of time, download bandwidth and does nothing but introduce more modes of failure.

With all the intelligence they stuff into Ubuntu these days, THIS one Windows handles better.

Kind regards......

Thanh

He Colin,

Did you already looked at the second CD I send you, there you find install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh with this software package you can install some MS Windows software on your Linux desktop...

He Colin,

Did you already looked at the second CD I send you, there you find install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh with this software package you can install some MS Windows software on your Linux desktop...

Tried that Richard but it generated nothing at all. The package to let me use Firefox to access Bangkok Bank didn't work either same as the startup for Thunderbird... I must be having a bad day!!

Colin

He Colin,

It is best you copy the file from the cd onto your desktop, and then click on it twice... If this not works, you need to open the Terminal..

Then;

cd Desktop

chmod a+x install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh

sh install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh

---------

After that click on Okay to install

He Colin,

That happens to the best of us, when installing Ubuntu you need to select the option to use the whole hard drive (if you not want to dual boot), otherwise Ubuntu creates a "small" partition by resizing other partitions

He Colin,

That happens to the best of us, when installing Ubuntu you need to select the option to use the whole hard drive (if you not want to dual boot), otherwise Ubuntu creates a "small" partition by resizing other partitions

That is what I did, I am now re-installing, I hope it works this time!!

Edited by Niloc

I'm doing a hard test tomorrow.... i have read that this should work, well let's see..... i will change my mainboard. I've got a new board, CPU, RAM etc, also both DVD burners will be replaced since the new board has only one IDE controller.

From Athlon XP 3000+ to Athlon 64x2 5600+ (dual core)... if it works it'll absolutely FLY (it's already flying now).

From what i've read, Ubuntu will just work after the swap. I seriously hope so (hugging wooden TV stand). The new board is the same manufacturer (Asus) and i'll keep the HDD's and graphics card..... but anyway, i'll research now how to export my mail from the Thunderbird, it's the only thing i do NOT have backed up (all data is on a separate HDD, except for that).

Please wish me luck, whoever reads this :D

Good night......

Thanh

Yeah!!

Back on track. New mainboard is in, the system is indeed flying - i can play FOUR videos simultaneously (with different players) and get a CPU load of 4.9% (CPU 1) and 8.2% (CPU 2). WOW.

It booted right up after the swap, the only things needed to be done were re-configuring the network connection (wired LAN) to static IP (as i use a router with forwarded ports) and figure out why there was almost no sound- easy, the new board has Dolby Surround and the volume control has a whole bunch of controls more than before, i just had to turn up "front master" (which was muted) and "front" and voila, there was the sound :)

Now, next step will be swapping the hard drives - i've got two more SATA ports now, i guess SATA might be a little faster than IDE.

Linux - it's magic :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Yeah!!

Back on track. New mainboard is in, the system is indeed flying - i can play FOUR videos simultaneously (with different players) and get a CPU load of 4.9% (CPU 1) and 8.2% (CPU 2). WOW.

It booted right up after the swap, the only things needed to be done were re-configuring the network connection (wired LAN) to static IP (as i use a router with forwarded ports) and figure out why there was almost no sound- easy, the new board has Dolby Surround and the volume control has a whole bunch of controls more than before, i just had to turn up "front master" (which was muted) and "front" and voila, there was the sound :)

Now, next step will be swapping the hard drives - i've got two more SATA ports now, i guess SATA might be a little faster than IDE.

Linux - it's magic :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

FWIW, there's few SATA drives that are faster than an equivalent PATA. HOWEVER, if you have more than one drive, the PATA interface can act as a bottleneck on current systems....

Why didn't you go with a Nehalem core Xeon dual processor set up? That's eight real cores and 8 hyperthreaded cores!

Umm what do i need that many cores for..? Plus one can't beat the price i paid for the entire upgrade - 1,900 Baht, which were for the two SATA DVD-burners. All the rest i got for free, one by one, over time. My computer was always fast enough for me, no real need to upgrade - but if i get free parts, why not :D

I have two HDD's in there, one 80 GB (for system only, i.e. Ubuntu) and one 500 GB (data only, this is still NTFS with four partitions). I also already have one 500 GB SATA which is now my data backup. As soon as i get a SATA with at least 120 GB somewhere i'll swap the both HDD's as well.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Hi :D

Umm what do i need that many cores for..? Plus one can't beat the price i paid for the entire upgrade - 1,900 Baht, which were for the two SATA DVD-burners. All the rest i got for free, one by one, over time. My computer was always fast enough for me, no real need to upgrade - but if i get free parts, why not :D

I have two HDD's in there, one 80 GB (for system only, i.e. Ubuntu) and one 500 GB (data only, this is still NTFS with four partitions). I also already have one 500 GB SATA which is now my data backup. As soon as i get a SATA with at least 120 GB somewhere i'll swap the both HDD's as well.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Free beats reasonable price any day. :)

You can never have too many cores, too much RAM or too much (speedy) diskspace!

Oh, and btw, I have a socket 775 P4 650 for a good home.....

He Dave,

What do you need for the P4 650?

If you mean what type of motherboard does it go into, it's a socket 775.

If you mean what do I want for it; nothing. It just needs to be posted off unless the person wanting it lives in Nakhon Sawan.

Here's some tech specs:

"Prescott 2M" (90 nm)

All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Hyper-Threading, Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation)

Intel VT supported by: 6x2 e.g. Model 662 and 672

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) supported by: all except 620.

Intel Family 15 Model 4

Steppings: N0, R0

Pentium 4 HT 650

3400 MHz

2048 KiB

800 MT/s

17×

1.2/1.4 V

84 W

LGA775

I've seen this chip reach an overclocked state of 3,8 GHZ, but I took it down to stock. I suppose if you tried you could get more, but as hot as the Prescott core runs, I didn't see the advantage. Never tried underclocking it however.

I have finally got my Acer back, with a new HD!!

I want to install 9.04 on it, do I select 'use all the HD'. The system has XP on it, (very kind of them but it is probably pirated.) If I tell Linux to use all the CD, will it wipe XP or set up a dual boot (Which I want).

I got it working on the thinkpad and it looks OK but only Linux, no Windows.

The only problem I have is I cannot get the mobile phone to dial the internet!!

Colin

I want to install 9.04 on it, do I select 'use all the HD'. The system has XP on it, (very kind of them but it is probably pirated.) If I tell Linux to use all the CD, will it wipe XP or set up a dual boot (Which I want).

Colin

No, don't do that. Others here can explain better than I, but you need to use the live CD, or Partition Magic in Windows, to create partitions to dual boot. There are lots of guides if you Google it.

Colin

We need to know what type of phone and the connection (bluetooth or data cable) you're trying to make.

I've found Nokia (specifically S60) to be stupid simple to use for a internet connection. Reports are that it's gotten even easier in the latest Ubuntu. I've used both bluetooth and the cable connection to dial out on EDGE, on my SuSE install, a Slax thumbdrive, and a Live-CD Ubuntu.

Also, you have both options (either to use the whole disk or shrink Windows) while installing Linux...

Well I used the option in the install. now I have Linux and stupid windows, they both seem to be working OK.

I had the mobile phone working under Ubuntu 8.04 but as soon as I installed 9.04 it gave up! Now all I get is 'address not found etc'.

Is there any way I can step through the wvdial setup to see where it is falling over?

Colin

Here is the output from wvdialconf :

ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Nokia

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK

ttyACM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.

ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.

Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.

/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf.tmp4714': Permission denied

/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't write '/etc/wvdial.conf' ('/etc/wvdial.conf'): Bad file descriptor

ttyACM0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

colin@colin-laptop:~$

Looks OK to me except for the 'Permission denied' and 'Bad file descriptor' but how do I fix it??

Colin