Pattaya Expat To Be Extradited On Suspicion Of Being Hitman

imaneggspurt

This from the torbay devon uk paper yesterday,.http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/Shock-man-named-court-hitman/article-935721-detail/article.html A TEIGNMOUTH man has been named by courtroom prosecutors as a hired hitman in the alleged murder of a woman at a Surrey village.

Paul Cryne, 61, who lived at Bitton Avenue for many years before emigrating to Thailand, is said to have killed 52-year-old Sharon Birchwood on the orders of her ex-husband Graham Birchwood.

Birchwood, 55, a debt-ridden business consultant, is currently on trial at Croydon Crown Court for the murder of his former wife.

Prosecutors at the court allege Birchwood, who denies the charges, wanted his wife killed so he could sell the £400,000 family home and claim a further £70,000 in life insurance.

Yesterday, Surrey police confirmed they were trying to extradite Cryne from Thailand in connection with the murder.

A police spokesman confirmed: "Mr Cryne is awaiting extradition from Thailand because he is the alleged hitman.

"The prosecution case is that Mr Cryne carried out the murder and he was hired by Mr Birchwood."

It's understood Surrey detectives recently visited South Devon to speak to people who knew Cryne.

Cryne, who has not been charged in relation to the case, lived in Teignmouth for about eight years, working in various nursing homes in the area.

He was also a swimming coach and lifeguard.

In 1984, Cryne became the first person to complete a 24-hour underwater swim of nearly 50 miles non-stop at Qatar in the Arabian gulf.

He also broke the record for the fastest underwater crossing of Lake Windermere.

Cryne emigrated to Thailand, but it's believed his ex-wife, and her partner still live in South Devon.

When the Croydon trial opened the court heard Mrs Birchwood was found by paramedics in her bedroom, fully clothed, at 1pm on December 7, 2007.

She had been trussed up, bound and gagged with parcel tape and electrical wire.

Her ankles had been tied and there was tape around her neck and head.

The ligature around her neck and the gagging of her mouth had caused asphyxia, the court was told.

Prosecutor Mark Dennis QC told the jury a second man, allegedly Cryne, who flew over from Thailand, was also involved in the killing.

Mr Dennis said: "He did not want to take the risk of killing her himself as he realised he would always be a suspect.

"He needed to get someone else, who not be noticed after the event and would not attract the attention of the police."

He said DNA traces on a duvet cover and piece of tape led police to Paul Cryne, a former business associate of Birchwood's living in Thailand.

The court heard Cryne was known to have flown to Britain and to have been in the area at the time of the murder.

He was spotted on CCTV at Heathrow Airport and stayed at the defendant's mother's house in Banstead, Surrey.

John Longhurst, of Nightingale House, Landscore Close in Teignmouth, said the home had looked to employ Mr Cryne almost 10 years ago to work on a range of youth activities.

He said: "He was a different sort of guy at the time we were looking to employ him.

"He seemed a good enough bloke for this sort of things, especially with regards to a number of activities."

He added: "Of course, we're shocked about this news."

The trial continues.

888669.jpg

Edited by imaneggspurt

In 1984, Cryne became the first person to complete a 24-hour underwater swim of nearly 50 miles non-stop at Qatar in the Arabian gulf.

Christ ! even with a full scuba tank I struggle to stay down much longer than an hour. This bloke must be able to hold his breath forever.. :o:D:D:D:D

He is innocent until found guilty, now I will also add that there are lot and lot of evil farangs walking/lurking among us. :D:o

Maybe someone should remind the Pattaya media about this point next time they shove a camera in someone's face who has been dragged into the police station

He is innocent until found guilty, now I will also add that there are lot and lot of evil farangs walking/lurking among us. :D:o

He said DNA traces on a duvet cover and piece of tape led police to Paul Cryne, a former business associate of Birchwood's living in Thailand.

The court heard Cryne was known to have flown to Britain and to have been in the area at the time of the murder.

He was spotted on CCTV at Heathrow Airport and stayed at the defendant's mother's house in Banstead, Surrey.

Well, that should set him up nicely then! I can't see how his DNA traces would be found on the duvet cover or piece of tape if he was not there.

My glasses are a bit dirty. When I first clicked on this thread

I thought it said PATTAYA EXPAT TO BE EXTRADITED ON SUSPICION OF BEING HUMAN.

Not exactly a laughing matter either way.

kdf