Twitter

churchill

Who's using it and any tips ?

There's a big misconception about twitter being for people with nothing better to do than post banal one liners about what they had for breakfast/walk the dog/hide their dead spouse's body etc. And many people who subscribe to twitter actually do this.

Twitter is two things. First, it is merely a way of friends and family keeping in touch with each other via the net rather than expensive text message bills (although why your friends/family would want to know what you're up to in one sentence (and each and every day too) instead of email beats me).

TWO (and this is the most important one) Twitter is a great FREE tool for promoting your business/blog/website via a tinyurl (just go to tiny url maker paste in the long http address and 'tiny' it).

Now this is important: Make sure you put all the relevant words (tags) in your limited space along with the tiny url. Twitter's search engine will then pick it up and anyone searching for information on a product, service, info, will have your link again, free.

Twitter is anything you want it to be. They say as much themselves.

I use it because I have a circle of friends who use it so it's fun to read their updates - even if it's "walking the dog". And it's fun to quickly write out what I am doing, particularly using tweetie on the iphone, because I can do it wherever and whenever. When I twitter from the computer it tends to be links and stuff that I find interesting - it's basically what Blogs started out as, a weblog, keeping a log of what you do on the web. But on the phone, it's more like, post a picture you just took with your camera, or include your current location, whatever it is.

I use Twitter because I don't have time or ambition to write a proper blog. And because it's the only thing about Facebook that I think has value. The Facebook newsfeed is basically twitter... anyway in short, I stopped using Facebook and replaced that with twitter, it's much more fun and makes much more sense...