Ring The Bell

patklang

This is the most blatant act of bar owners creating a theme whereby a pissed up farang buys strangers drink and the owner benefits from it.

Its so funny to see tourists keep doing this and buying me free drinks,what the hel_l for???.Is it some macho thing or what,are you pissed???

If its sincere.not showing off,why dont you just give me 70 baht,that would be much better.If i want to buy drinks for my visiting mates i take the checks out of the bin quietly without a fuss and say its my crash.On my birthday i take a couple of good friends and gf/wives out and buy the meals and drinks.

This is a pathetic excuse to pretend you have money or the bg/owner has stitched you up for a bell ring.If you want to help the bg then give her money instead of paying over 100 baht for coloured water,you tourists have got it wrong all the time and are being led by the bar owners.

Of course, ringing the bell is a blatant excuse to separate the punters from their money.

Good luck to the bar owner and the person whose efforts earned the praise.

If you dislike the system, choose another way of spending your time.

Not one to ring the bell by habit - but have done so a few times over the years when I am feeling particularly generous.

Could care less if it offends the cheap charlies in the bar who sit there with one coke while trying to chat up some girl.

I wonder if the OP realises that for those who do ring the bell - they do realise that the money is going to the owners and the girls?

I ring the bell on occasion when I'm in one of my regular bars and things are a bit quiet. It livens the place up and puts smiles on faces. So it costs me a few quid, I can afford it and really couldn't give a flying duck what others think. If you are too poor or too stingy to ring the bell sit down the other end of the bar and if someone does ring it be a man and go with your principles and refuse the free drink.

I think maybe as well as the redistribution of wealth, it provides people with an opportunity to informally invite others to share their happiness by joining them in a drink. It takes less time than going round and trying to strike up a conversation with each person in the bar, but provides an easy action that people can respond to; I supose the other option would be to get your accordion out and suggest some singing or dancing to break the ice.

And the miserable 'eifers can sit quietly in the corner and drink the beer and go on somewhere less cheerful.

Each to their own.

SC

Not one to ring the bell by habit - but have done so a few times over the years when I am feeling particularly generous.

Could care less if it offends the cheap charlies in the bar who sit there with one coke while trying to chat up some girl.

I wonder if the OP realises that for those who do ring the bell - they do realise that the money is going to the owners and the girls?

maybe 30-40 baht for the girl.This has nothing to do with cheap charlies as i stated if i wanted to buy drinks for friends i will collect their check bins,but why buy for strangers.Does that make you a cheap charlie if you dont want to buy complete strangers a drink.

Why bring cheap charlie in the conversation????.Using that word is as bad as the stupid bell ringing Esmeralda

I think maybe as well as the redistribution of wealth, it provides people with an opportunity to informally invite others to share their happiness by joining them in a drink. It takes less time than going round and trying to strike up a conversation with each person in the bar, but provides an easy action that people can respond to; I supose the other option would be to get your accordion out and suggest some singing or dancing to break the ice.

And the miserable 'eifers can sit quietly in the corner and drink the beer and go on somewhere less cheerful.

Each to their own.

SC

The other option is go out with mates and buy the drinks.Because some people want a quiet drinmk does that make them EIFERS.You think in a very strange way stretcowboy,because you think if somebody doesnt want to ring the bell he has got to play the acordian hehehehehe,a bit mixed up stranger.

BTW

for the people who cant read posts,please read again and then comment,no mentions of cheap charlies,no mentions on if i have rang the bell when pissed,cajoled etc etc.this is a question as to why you ring the bell not on whether you agree with my views.

This is the most blatant act of bar owners creating a theme whereby a pissed up farang buys strangers drink and the owner benefits from it.

This is a pathetic excuse to pretend you have money or the bg/owner has stitched you up for a bell ring.If you want to help the bg then give her money instead of paying over 100 baht for coloured water,you tourists have got it wrong all the time and are being led by the bar owners.

These two paragraphs sure look like wingeing to me. Rather mean-spirited and judgemental, eh pakboong?

Edited by Sir Burr

BTW

for the people who cant read posts,please read again and then comment,no mentions of cheap charlies,no mentions on if i have rang the bell when pissed,cajoled etc etc.this is a question as to why you ring the bell not on whether you agree with my views.

For the people who cannot write posts, try again. Your OP does "sound" like a whining rant, and now you wonder why the people react as they do ?

Just the fact that you start a topic about this says enough. There is not much of a question in there, but it is more of an answer already and a condemnation in one. So what do you expect?

Some people just like doing it, and in some bars people are always doing it. Big Dave (ex-Jools) must be the world champion. I remember one time he came back from Phuket and was amazed that no-one else ever seemed to ring the bell there, but it didn't stop him. All depends on the individual, the bar, and the context. As for people giving you the money instead, nonsensical comment presumably not meant seriously.

...it provides people with an opportunity to informally invite others to share their happiness by joining them in a drink. It takes less time than going round and trying to strike up a conversation with each person in the bar, but provides an easy action that people can respond to; I supose the other option would be to get your accordion out and suggest some singing or dancing to break the ice.

Each to their own.

SC

The other option is go out with mates and buy the drinks.Because some people want a quiet drinmk does that make them EIFERS.You think in a very strange way stretcowboy,because you think if somebody doesnt want to ring the bell he has got to play the acordian hehehehehe,a bit mixed up stranger.

As a sad old effer myself, I prefer a free pint than some intrusive squeezebox or country dancing or BLOODY PUB QUIZ. IF YOU DON'T WANT US TO SHOUT OUT THE ANSWERS, THEN DON'T SHOUT OUT THE QUESTIONS (sorry, rant over). My point was that the bell provides an easy and affordable option for people to invite strangers to join them in an enjoyable evening, without actually ramming it down their throats, while the strangers have the option to decline to join in as well, without appearing rude, since all they are obliged to do is perhaps nod some acknowledgement, and drink the beer. I suppose its a way of trying to bring everyone together in a friendly manner, and most options (pool competitions, karaoke, country dancing, BLOODY PUB QUIZ, dominoes) are bound to irritate some people, but if they didn't want a drink, they wouldn't be in the pub, would they?

I recall one time agreeing to play the publican at pool for a round of drinks for the pub. I won, but it still ended up on my bill. Anyway, don't gamble what you can't lose...And it was an entertaining night.

SC

We need a list of the bars which give free drinks to customers also, as some only give to staff which is always a shame.

Why would the bar give away drinks to the customers rather than the staff? :o

To "prime the pump".

The best owners buy a round. This instills a feeling of obligation to reciprocate.

It's good business. The owner buys one round and then gets a round back from each customer. Even if only one customer reciprocates, the owner's ahead as he pays cost.

You think the staff will ever buy a round? They're there to make money, not spend it.

Edited by Sir Burr

We need a list of the bars which give free drinks to customers also, as some only give to staff which is always a shame.

Why would the bar give away drinks to the customers rather than the staff? :o

To "prime the pump".

The best owners buy a round. This instills a feeling of obligation to reciprocate.

It's good business. The owner buys one round and then gets a round back from each customer. Even if only one customer reciprocates, the owner's ahead as he pays cost.

You think the staff will ever buy a round? They're there to make money, not spend it.

I recall getting free drink, but I paid for it in the morning...

Most people who ring the bell are on vacation and are there drinking in that bar to enjoy themselves, who are we to complain/stop them?

I normally only ring the bell to liven the place up early evenings normally or when there is a small group of friends and bar staff (cheap charlie)

PATKLANG bars are meant to be ran as a business so the purpose of the bell is to make money why not? no point having a bar if it's making a loss though I believe there are many that do. Buying a drink for the bar staff does not feel the same as handing out 100BHT bills now that would be interesting if ring the bell then you most hand out 100 to everyperson in the bar (how many would accept? would you?)

Most people who ring the bell are on vacation and are there drinking in that bar to enjoy themselves, who are we to complain/stop them?

I normally only ring the bell to liven the place up early evenings normally or when there is a small group of friends and bar staff (cheap charlie)

PATKLANG bars are meant to be ran as a business so the purpose of the bell is to make money why not? no point having a bar if it's making a loss though I believe there are many that do. Buying a drink for the bar staff does not feel the same as handing out 100BHT bills now that would be interesting if ring the bell then you most hand out 100 to everyperson in the bar (how many would accept? would you?)

Great idea! Ringing the bell makes me feel superior, but accepting money would make people feel inferior as well!

Sorry - I can't follow that idea through - someone else will have to do it.

It's funny how accepting hospitality is seen as quite different from accepting charity - in HK the Independent Commission Against Corruption see it as quite different as well.

But really, the great thing about the bell is how little it intrudes on the peace and tranquility of those who just want a quiet drink and don't want to have a good time; unlike most other pub entertainment. I can see how people might feel guilty about accepting drinks if they have no intention of reciprocating, but they can always decline...

SC

ok, from memory:

det 5 bar suk soi 8, guy rang the bell, we all got shots.

we4u also soi 8, guy rang bar, we all got a another of whatever we were drinking (at 50 baht per draft i guess its easier!)

most gogobars, only girls get them

soi 22 bars, Ive never got a drink when someone rings a bell, just the staff.

my memory only goes back 7 days at the best of times.. :)

To ring the bell is to indicate that you have had a particularly fine experience and want to let lots of people know. It is a joyous fun celebration and shows you appreciate the efforts of the company you have shared.

To ring the bell is to indicate that you have had a particularly fine experience and want to let lots of people know. It is a joyous fun celebration and shows you appreciate the efforts of the company you have shared.

Spot on!I rang the bell once in my life,there were just the cashier and one girl which i liked.It was a joy indeed,and in the case you don't know,yes,i'm a cheap charlie :)

Whilst in Spotlight Bar in Chiang Mai, I saw a 'scheme' that took the biscuit for separating men from their dosh:

You could buy a ping pong ball form the bar for 50 Bhat (or as many as you liked). The BG who returned the ball got a 25 Bhat 'reward' from the bar. There were a couple of American guys who both paid 1000 THB and tipped the lot down the front of their trousers. There was carnage in the place as every girl in the joint lept on these two guys to claim their reward... a very easy (and pretty entertaining) way to make some easy dosh!

Cheers