Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

Thanks guys,

Bernie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

KASIKORN BANK Seacon Square branches just take some money and passport SCB are no good there, the decision is down to the individual branch manager even if the banks policy is different.

Kasikorn Bank

Sukumvit Pattaya, near Bangkok pattaya hospital.

Passport and 1000B cash.

We were half way through the forms when the lady doing the writing stopped and looked at my Non Immi O and my business card and looked up and said "Oh you live here!?"

If one place gives you grief just go to the next branch, it may take a little while as the folk on the counter are sometimes a little snotty. If so go to the next bank/branch.

"I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. "

You have to weather the storm, and visit several bank branches to see whether you can open an account of not. I opened accounts both at K-Bank and Krung Thai on Sukhumvit with my passport and a 1000THB.

Some banks refuse farang point blank, some demand a work permit. But just keep trying different banks/branches and visit the bank during a quiet time, ie. Not opening time on a Monday morning.

I have discussed this with Thais and they say, if the manager of the branch refuses to take farang, then that is the branch policy. There are a small minority of Thai nationals who just don't like foreigners, English, USA, Indian or whatever.

It seems crazy that company policy does not precide, but the bank manager in Thailand has the last say.

You’ll need either a work permit or a non-O immigration visa in your passport to open a Thai bank account these days.

Deposit of 500-1000 Baht is required with Bangkok Bank (head office, silom road) when open a new account in your name.

I have several accounts, Be 1st debit card and internet banking as well based on non-O immigration visa with Bangkok Bank head office. :o

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :o

I cannot tell you how easy it was to open accounts at Bangkok Bank & SCB in Chiang Mai.

Makes you wonder eh?

I know TIT but I wonder if Farangs are just tolerated more in CM than BKK?

I know it is as others have said down to branch policy??? But still seems odd that

basically discrimination of sorts is considered as a branch policy.

Well if all else fails take a cruise up to CM for some shopping then open accounts.

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :D

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :o

I cannot tell you how easy it was to open accounts at Bangkok Bank & SCB in Chiang Mai.

Makes you wonder eh?

I know it is as others have said down to branch policy??? But still seems odd that

Well if all else fails take a cruise up to CM for some shopping then open accounts.

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :D

I can tell you that if you are wearing a tank top and shorts you are less likely to be helped than if you wore long trousers and a button up shirt with long or short sleeves.

Bank Employees and staff think of themselves closer to Government Officials and workers.

If you walked into a Thai Immigration Office, Police Station or Government office wearing a Tank top, shorts and thongs you will get a lot less respect and service than if you dressed appropriately. Your lack of doing so just show them your lack of respect for their culture and authority.

I think a branch manager who has no English speaking staff will decline farangs as they will be a pain in his arse.

Kasikorn at Soi 33 / Sukhumvit, have plenty. So do many of the majors.

I certainly wouldn't attempt to apply for an account in a dinky lttle sub-branch in a shopping mall. :o

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :wai:

Makes you wonder eh?

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :P

I can tell you that if you are wearing a tank top and shorts you are less likely to be helped than if you wore long trousers and a button up shirt with long or short sleeves.

Bank Employees and staff think of themselves closer to Government Officials and workers.

If you walked into a Thai Immigration Office, Police Station or Government office wearing a Tank top, shorts and thongs you will get a lot less respect and service than if you dressed appropriately. Your lack of doing so just show them your lack of respect for their culture and authority.

respect is overrated. clean is not :o:D:D .

money trumps respect in thailand......... :D:D

ive seen many legit drinking establishments where tank top, hairy , foul smelling , belching man get more respect than button collar businessman get because he better customer, he spend more.

You'll need either a work permit or a non-O immigration visa in your passport to open a Thai bank account these days.

What a load of Rubbish! :)

SECONDED

Indeed - The OP is based in Bangkok, so can follow the instructions already provided - All I will add is you need a legitimate reason to open a PASS BOOK SAVINGS ACCOUNT - you cannot open a bank account. Such reasons are:

You own a condo and need to set up direct debit (automatic payment) of utility bills electricity, telephone, water etc...

You are a student and need funds in Thailand.

You cannot 'just' open an account 'just' because you feel like it.

It would be handy if the OP gets back to us to confirm. I think that nowadays others can provide letters of recommendation e.g. developer of a condo, that kind of stuff, but have not experienced this myself.

Oh and BTW

Just literally got back from Bangkok and as promised here is the latest information I have.

1) On updating my Bangkok Bank savings account passbook at one of those handy machines at Central in Chidlom I discovered much to my amazement that I earn't interest on the account! (This was the first time I could check this).

2) You can set up direct debits for electricity, water, telephone etc by simply taking your passbook and a copy of the relevant bill (bills) to counter 54 at the head office. This is a very simple process, but takes time to complete. I was told that I would need to pay the next bill manually but after that automatic payments would be made.

So IMO the best bet is to open an account at Bangkok Banks head office on Silom road (near soi 3) -Instruction on the first page of this thread. Next time I am over I will see if I can persuade them on the subject of internet banking (I ran out of time during my all too brief two week holiday :D )

i first opened a SCB bank 6 years ago in ramkhamheang mall - piece of cake and about 200 baht

Then i got a non imm B visa and tried to open some more on sukumvit road... i got knocked back from kasikorn and bangkok bank even having a Thai business woman with me to try and get me some leverage.

Last month i thought id give it another go this time on Ramkhamheang road heading to minburi in the Kasikorn Branch

They were amazing and i got a new account in minutes together with e banking and i even got a virtual credit card which can be used for anything, including paypal...

Kasikorn is the best bank at the moment in my opinion, scb sucks and BKK bank is not very well liked by half the country for political reasons now.

so try Kasikirn bank and get yourself online and credit cards too, i paid a 1000 baht deposit with i think 200 for the atm card.

However as my experience proves, it depends on the suns alignment to the moon, and how much somtam the bank clerk ate as a child....

no logic, no expectations, no sense - this is thailand!

Kasikorn is the best bank at the moment in my opinion, scb sucks and BKK bank is not very well liked by half the country for political reasons now.

I am guessing you are Thia based? This guy like me is just using a visitor permit to attempt this. This is why we are all so confused we are all comming at this from our own angle. For him Bangkok Bank Head Office possibly offers the best bet.

Out of interest why the above comment?

ok

well after banking with scb for 6 years, i find the services rather bad and the website diabolical - if you want to check your balance after a certain time you cant. you need to wait for working hours etc.

Bangkok bank was SUPPOSEDLY involved in funding political demonstrations and a few weeks ago the opposition attempted to bomb the branch in silom road, so...

I would say stay clear for safety reasons! but if you get an account easier with them - well they are better than scb it seems.... Bangkok bank used to make it easy for paypal and foreigners to do internet realated payments. But now kasikorn is way ahead in services and foreigner support.

i have a non imm B visa (no working permits)

for those with just tourist visas i cannot comment - but give it a shot and report back here...

i think pattaya and jomtien are still easier places but not that useful if you live in BKK

Thanks for that interesting news I did not know - I/we just have a tourist visa (we are a farang/farang relationship) and succeeded with opening a (joint) passbook savings account with international cashpoint and debit card see previous post - But you have to have a reason for opening such an account - paying your condo electricity bills (in my case) is a good reason.

So the OP guy can do this - just follow the instructions given - And OP please report back :)

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I can only imagine how much time I would waste running around Bangkok like a chicken with its head cut off if I did not have all of you to fall back on for advice. I could never express enough gratitude to you all no matter what the response. My non “O” has expired so I will be trying to open a bank account on a tourist visa, US passport, and Thai drivers license. My time is very limited at home so I don’t want to spend it traveling to get another non O visa only making the time fly faster than it already will. My personal reason for wanting to open the account is simple to us but unfortunately maybe not so valid for them. That is, for any future visa of any sort that I might try to obtain I will have to show one of two things. A: Employment and B: Money in a Thai bank account. The only time I will need to stay home for more than 30 days would be because I was unemployed and waiting for a new job to pop up. My current job in Afghanistan is not going to last forever. I don’t want to be in the position of trying to get another non “O,” having no job and only money in a US bank. Immigration policies are changing every year but never to our benefit. It’s not far fetched to think that I might run into that one officer who says that money in a foreign account doest count or that this won’t become more difficult if not an enforced requirement tomorrow. Of course, thanks to all of you I realize that I better be wearing a tie, have my wife present, and a better reason ready for them than this. Of the top of my head I will probably tell them it is for paying utilities and setting up a direct deposit from my employer. “COMMENTS ABOUT THIS WELCOMED!” Don’t worry about off topic comments as some times we learn something from them as well. Kasikorn at Ramkhamheang is sounding pretty good to me from the current post being given.

That's OK, to be honest It took me two holidays to finally get the account. I tried all the other stuff but it did not work. It boiled down to 'get letter from embassy and then come back before we will even consider dealing with you'.

I do however recon that the UK Embassy letter could be used for the US embassy (see the link I posted previously). It is after all the main body of text that is generic, that counts.

If you are short of time just print out that letter, the second image (the first image is too fuzzy and I ran out of edit time before I could delete it) and go to your US embassy first, to get your own letter. I can assure you, you are not going to even get to first base without it!

Please do report back on your experiences :)

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I can only imagine how much time I would waste running around Bangkok like a chicken with its head cut off if I did not have all of you to fall back on for advice. I could never express enough gratitude to you all no matter what the response. My non “O” has expired so I will be trying to open a bank account on a tourist visa, US passport, and Thai drivers license. My time is very limited at home so I don’t want to spend it traveling to get another non O visa only making the time fly faster than it already will. My personal reason for wanting to open the account is simple to us but unfortunately maybe not so valid for them. That is, for any future visa of any sort that I might try to obtain I will have to show one of two things. A: Employment and B: Money in a Thai bank account. The only time I will need to stay home for more than 30 days would be because I was unemployed and waiting for a new job to pop up. My current job in Afghanistan is not going to last forever. I don’t want to be in the position of trying to get another non “O,” having no job and only money in a US bank. Immigration policies are changing every year but never to our benefit. It’s not far fetched to think that I might run into that one officer who says that money in a foreign account doest count or that this won’t become more difficult if not an enforced requirement tomorrow. Of course, thanks to all of you I realize that I better be wearing a tie, have my wife present, and a better reason ready for them than this. Of the top of my head I will probably tell them it is for paying utilities and setting up a direct deposit from my employer. “COMMENTS ABOUT THIS WELCOMED!” Don’t worry about off topic comments as some times we learn something from them as well. Kasikorn at Ramkhamheang is sounding pretty good to me from the current post being given.

Bernie,

For what its worth:

When I first came to Thailand (on a non-O visa) I thought that what I wanted to do was open up a foreign currency account. I went to SCB's main office and spoke with a bank officer. His advice was to forget considering a foreign currency or checking account. He told me that as a foreigner without business interests in Thailand the only real option for me was a Savings account - with debit card of course. He further counseled me that I should try to open an account at a branch that is close to a large expat population such as Sukumwit or Silom, since the management and staff will be more accustomed to dealing with farangs. He also told me that when asked why I wanted to open an account to tell them the truth: I am living in Thailand and need an account to pay my bills and go shopping. The best reason to open an account: You want to spend your money in Thailand.

I took his advice and went to the Thong Lor SCB branch. Opened an account immediately and painlessly. Once a month I painlessly transfer money from my U.S. bank to SCB and then use my debit card for everyday expenses and ATM cash withdrawls. I rarely go to the Thong-Lo branch, but still get great service from SCB. Although, I must admit their online account access needs some work to make it more user-friendly.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I can only imagine how much time I would waste running around Bangkok like a chicken with its head cut off if I did not have all of you to fall back on for advice. I could never express enough gratitude to you all no matter what the response. My non "O" has expired so I will be trying to open a bank account on a tourist visa, US passport, and Thai drivers license. My time is very limited at home so I don't want to spend it traveling to get another non O visa only making the time fly faster than it already will. My personal reason for wanting to open the account is simple to us but unfortunately maybe not so valid for them. That is, for any future visa of any sort that I might try to obtain I will have to show one of two things. A: Employment and B: Money in a Thai bank account. The only time I will need to stay home for more than 30 days would be because I was unemployed and waiting for a new job to pop up. My current job in Afghanistan is not going to last forever. I don't want to be in the position of trying to get another non "O," having no job and only money in a US bank. Immigration policies are changing every year but never to our benefit. It's not far fetched to think that I might run into that one officer who says that money in a foreign account doest count or that this won't become more difficult if not an enforced requirement tomorrow. Of course, thanks to all of you I realize that I better be wearing a tie, have my wife present, and a better reason ready for them than this. Of the top of my head I will probably tell them it is for paying utilities and setting up a direct deposit from my employer. "COMMENTS ABOUT THIS WELCOMED!" Don't worry about off topic comments as some times we learn something from them as well. Kasikorn at Ramkhamheang is sounding pretty good to me from the current post being given.

Bernie,

For what its worth:

When I first came to Thailand (on a non-O visa) I thought that what I wanted to do was open up a foreign currency account. I went to SCB's main office and spoke with a bank officer. His advice was to forget considering a foreign currency or checking account. He told me that as a foreigner without business interests in Thailand the only real option for me was a Savings account - with debit card of course. He further counseled me that I should try to open an account at a branch that is close to a large expat population such as Sukumwit or Silom, since the management and staff will be more accustomed to dealing with farangs. He also told me that when asked why I wanted to open an account to tell them the truth: I am living in Thailand and need an account to pay my bills and go shopping. The best reason to open an account: You want to spend your money in Thailand.

I took his advice and went to the Thong Lor SCB branch. Opened an account immediately and painlessly. Once a month I painlessly transfer money from my U.S. bank to SCB and then use my debit card for everyday expenses and ATM cash withdrawls. I rarely go to the Thong-Lo branch, but still get great service from SCB. Although, I must admit their online account access needs some work to make it more user-friendly.

You are not on a tourist visa, but I note the response from SCB - IMO good post, but we must take care not to cloud the issue of the OP.

Attempt at Hi Jack - anyone had any success with internet access using just a tourist visa?

You can open a Savings Account with only a Tourist Visa!

I had to go to Kbank @ Sukh Soi 33 yesterday to try to get a copy of my Visa stamp.

No luck.....They didn't make a copy as all that they want from foreigners is a passport and the address of the park bench you might be sleeping on.

No other documents are required.

Other Kasikorn branches may be different, so, go to the Soi 33 branch next to Villa Supermarket, Phrom Phong BTS, open the account and move your account to a branch nearer to where you live at a later date.

Easy peasy. :)

The bank was packed with customers yesterday, I was give queue number 979 and sat down to wait hours to see a staff member, within 2 minutes my number was called !!!

This branch is switched on, look for a 6' tall Thai guy directing customers once inside the bank. He speaks perfect English. (so do a lot of the staff)

I hope that this info will put an end to all the speculation, BS, etc., about opening a bank account in Thailand. :D

cheers,

gd

edit: Don't forget to ask for K-Cyber (Internet) banking. Very user-friendly.

I hope that this info will put an end to all the speculation, BS, etc., about opening a bank account in Thailand. :D

Not quite GD - I have heard that a foreigner cannot open a bank account if it is an odd-numbered Tuesday with a full-moon and a 'k' in the month :)

And stop sending people to my K-Bank Branch! The queues are becoming ridiculous - two minutes is a long time to have to sit on an air-conditioned couch with nothing but attractive young women in tight skirts to look at.

I've heard good things about their Mae Sai branch...

Not quite GD - I have heard that a foreigner cannot open a bank account if it is an odd-numbered Tuesday with a full-moon and a 'k' in the month :D

And stop sending people to my K-Bank Branch! The queues are becoming ridiculous - two minutes is a long time to have to sit on an air-conditioned couch with nothing but attractive young women in tight skirts to look at.

Yeah, GungaDin, stop sending people to our bank fer youknowhat sakes! I want to be able to walk up to the Starbucks counter in the bank common area without a person ahead of me! Actually, when Starbucks staff see me coming, they have already started the cafe mocha. :-) BTW, I've sent two friends there and they've become immediate customers and happy ones too. (Qualification: I'm going to open a new thread about my experience in requesting a wire transfer to another country.)

Phaethon wrote:

Me too. :)

Archived