BANGKOK
bernie66

Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

Thanks guys,

Bernie

Edited by bernie66
  • Like 1

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

KASIKORN BANK Seacon Square branches just take some money and passport SCB are no good there, the decision is down to the individual branch manager even if the banks policy is different.

Kasikorn Bank

Sukumvit Pattaya, near Bangkok pattaya hospital.

Passport and 1000B cash.

We were half way through the forms when the lady doing the writing stopped and looked at my Non Immi O and my business card and looked up and said "Oh you live here!?"

If one place gives you grief just go to the next branch, it may take a little while as the folk on the counter are sometimes a little snotty. If so go to the next bank/branch.

• Like 1

"I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. "

You have to weather the storm, and visit several bank branches to see whether you can open an account of not. I opened accounts both at K-Bank and Krung Thai on Sukhumvit with my passport and a 1000THB.

• Like 1

Some banks refuse farang point blank, some demand a work permit. But just keep trying different banks/branches and visit the bank during a quiet time, ie. Not opening time on a Monday morning.

I have discussed this with Thais and they say, if the manager of the branch refuses to take farang, then that is the branch policy. There are a small minority of Thai nationals who just don't like foreigners, English, USA, Indian or whatever.

It seems crazy that company policy does not precide, but the bank manager in Thailand has the last say.

• Like 1

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :o

I cannot tell you how easy it was to open accounts at Bangkok Bank & SCB in Chiang Mai.

Makes you wonder eh?

I know TIT but I wonder if Farangs are just tolerated more in CM than BKK?

I know it is as others have said down to branch policy??? But still seems odd that

basically discrimination of sorts is considered as a branch policy.

Well if all else fails take a cruise up to CM for some shopping then open accounts.

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :D

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :o

I cannot tell you how easy it was to open accounts at Bangkok Bank & SCB in Chiang Mai.

Makes you wonder eh?

I know it is as others have said down to branch policy??? But still seems odd that

Well if all else fails take a cruise up to CM for some shopping then open accounts.

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :D

I can tell you that if you are wearing a tank top and shorts you are less likely to be helped than if you wore long trousers and a button up shirt with long or short sleeves.

Bank Employees and staff think of themselves closer to Government Officials and workers.

If you walked into a Thai Immigration Office, Police Station or Government office wearing a Tank top, shorts and thongs you will get a lot less respect and service than if you dressed appropriately. Your lack of doing so just show them your lack of respect for their culture and authority.

• Like 2

I think a branch manager who has no English speaking staff will decline farangs as they will be a pain in his arse.

Kasikorn at Soi 33 / Sukhumvit, have plenty. So do many of the majors.

I certainly wouldn't attempt to apply for an account in a dinky lttle sub-branch in a shopping mall. :o

Edited by GungaDin

Wow that is surprising Bernie....or not :wai:

Makes you wonder eh?

Go back to BKK & make sure the same folks see you in the bank using them :P

I can tell you that if you are wearing a tank top and shorts you are less likely to be helped than if you wore long trousers and a button up shirt with long or short sleeves.

Bank Employees and staff think of themselves closer to Government Officials and workers.

If you walked into a Thai Immigration Office, Police Station or Government office wearing a Tank top, shorts and thongs you will get a lot less respect and service than if you dressed appropriately. Your lack of doing so just show them your lack of respect for their culture and authority.

respect is overrated. clean is not :o:D:D .

money trumps respect in thailand......... :D:D

ive seen many legit drinking establishments where tank top, hairy , foul smelling , belching man get more respect than button collar businessman get because he better customer, he spend more.

Edited by goodheartman
  • Like 2