Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can open a Savings Account with only a Tourist Visa!

Thai laws say that you must have a work permit or a non immigrant visa to open a bank account in Thailand.

Many banks in Thailand don’t follow these laws, but they follow the International Funds Transfer very strict... :)

The OP has promised to get back to us. He seems now to have two options. Bangkok Bank head office which will work and Kbank @ Sukh Soi 33, which additionally offers internet access.

I am interested in the outcome. :)

The OP has promised to get back to us. He seems now to have two options. Bangkok Bank head office which will work and Kbank @ Sukh Soi 33, which additionally offers internet access.

I am interested in the outcome. :)

I will let everyone know around the 25th. Thanks guys, its always a pleasure.

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

Thanks guys,

Bernie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted this recently---somewhere ??---it was the Patong branch Phuket in 2007

Re--the post below----That seems a lot of shagging around for a Savings Account----easier to do what I did --walk into the Ayudhya Bank with passport---mine had the 30 day visa on arrival stamp ---fill out the application--I gave my TgF address--deposited 5000baht--walked out with a passbook and ATM card----Simple ?---or did they just like my face ? --also got online access--- so I can transfer funds into the account from overseas.

Bucko

QUOTE (pkrv @ 2009-04-30 18:20:43)

I thought this may be a good place to post information on opening a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account. My experiences are logged here and are valid only for Bangkok Bank's head office near Soi 3 Silom Road.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Bank-Account-t154359.html

Note: Critical to this information is we opened a (in our case joint) passbook savings account, the only account I am aware you can have on a TOURIST VISA ONLY. This information is quite old (2007) so fees may have changed. But I can assure you that I tried everything, and lots of banks, wasted lots of holiday time, and got nowhere. IMO Bangkok Bank has the best ATM's, passbook update machines (available everywhere), machines that credit cash to your account, you get interest and an international direct debit and cash point card (for which a fee is charged, they show up as two ATM charges on the 31st December, a bit confusing). You can also set up automatic (direct debit) payments of utility bills at counter 54.

You will need the following:

1) Time! - Assign two half days to the task.

2) Proof of address – I used my blue book and property (condominium) registration documents.

3) A letter from your embassy a.) Certifying your passport, b.)Provide proof of address in Thailand, and c.) no record to your detriment has been logged with the embassy. A link to an example of the letter for British passport holders provided by Bangkok Bank is here: (but none the less gives a general overview of what is required).

LINK to example letter is at end of post...

4) Money (or credit/debit card) to pay the fee for the required letter. This was 2,448 THB (per letter) at the British Embassy

For a British passport Holder:

Step 1 - Simply download the sample letter print it out and take it to the British Embassy (whose address is shown on the sample letter) along with the other documentation (take everything!). Here is a link for the opening times:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376732

Step 2 – Ask for the passport (and notarisation) section. You need to go up the stairs on the left just after the entrance door that you are shown to.

Step 3- Take a queuing ticket by pressing the top button – take your seat and wait to be called. This could be 1-2 hours.

Step 4 – Present the sample letter, documentation etc and explain what you need. You will be asked to return the next day to pick up the letter.

Step 5 – Return to the same department the next MORNING but this time press the second button on the queuing system as there is a dedicated pick up counter operating in the mornings only. This is a quicker process (if you get it right).

Process continued below….

Non British Passport holder

To get a sample letter from Bangkok Bank for your particular embassy, go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). Once you have your example letter you can go to your embassy. BTW It is very possible someone at Bangkok Bank may simply just offer a helping hand if you look unsure.

Note you may be able to use the UK Embassy letter, because it is the generic text that counts.

Generic steps at Bangkok Bank

1) Return/Go to Bangkok Bank head office fully armed with all documentation, 500 THB opening credit deposit and 600 THB for an international cash point card and separate debit card.

2) At Bangkok Bank's head office go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). After that just be polite and courteous and you will get a passbook cash and debit card BUT sadly no internet banking. This is pretty much the only account you can open on a tourist visa but it does help when it comes to paying local utility bills by direct debit.

NOTES:

I did ask Hemaraj a .SETI 30 listed company to see if they could help. Much to their embarrassment they could not assist in making the process any simpler. They kindly provided a letter stating I was a good client and could the bank assist, but how much this helped I don't know. I understand that this has changed but have no personal experience of this.

YOU MUST have the letter from your embassy FULL STOP.

IRRITATINGLY Bangkok Bank will keep the original, a copy is not enough. I did not know this at the time but consider the embassy letter to be a useful document in its own right. Just a thought but it may be prudent to ask for several copies to be produced by your Embassy as this may save time in the future.

Sorry I can't help with other banks or other Bangkok Bank account branches.

PKRV.

Full service banking with Kasikorn Bank! When I went to open a passbook savings account in a Bangkok branch, all that was required was a passport. an address, and of course, some Baht. I signed up for the internet access and atm card also.

Just to let you know how much they care for their customers. They were giving away condoms in a nice green wrapper too.

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

Thanks guys,

Bernie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re--the post below----That seems a lot of shagging around for a Savings Account----easier to do what I did --walk into the Ayudhya Bank with passport---mine had the 30 day visa on arrival stamp ---fill out the application--I gave my TgF address--deposited 5000baht--walked out with a passbook and ATM card----Simple ?---or did they just like my face ? --also got online access--- so I can transfer funds into the account from overseas.

Bucko

I thought this may be a good place to post information on opening a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account. My experiences are logged here and are valid only for Bangkok Bank's head office near Soi 3 Silom Road.

Note: Critical to this information is we opened a (in our case joint) passbook savings account, the only account I am aware you can have on a TOURIST VISA ONLY. This information is quite old (2007) so fees may have changed. But I can assure you that I tried everything, and lots of banks, wasted lots of holiday time, and got nowhere. IMO Bangkok Bank has the best ATM's, passbook update machines (available everywhere), machines that credit cash to your account, you get interest and an international direct debit and cash point card (for which a fee is charged, they show up as two ATM charges on the 31st December, a bit confusing). You can also set up automatic (direct debit) payments of utility bills at counter 54.

2) Proof of address – I used my blue book and property (condominium) registration documents.

3) A letter from your embassy a.) Certifying your passport, b.)Provide proof of address in Thailand, and c.) no record to your detriment has been logged with the embassy. A link to an example of the letter for British passport holders provided by Bangkok Bank is here: (but none the less gives a general overview of what is required).

4) Money (or credit/debit card) to pay the fee for the required letter. This was 2,448 THB (per letter) at the British Embassy

Step 1 - Simply download the sample letter print it out and take it to the British Embassy (whose address is shown on the sample letter) along with the other documentation (take everything!). Here is a link for the opening times:

Step 2 – Ask for the passport (and notarisation) section. You need to go up the stairs on the left just after the entrance door that you are shown to.

Step 3- Take a queuing ticket by pressing the top button – take your seat and wait to be called. This could be 1-2 hours.

Step 4 – Present the sample letter, documentation etc and explain what you need. You will be asked to return the next day to pick up the letter.

Step 5 – Return to the same department the next MORNING but this time press the second button on the queuing system as there is a dedicated pick up counter operating in the mornings only. This is a quicker process (if you get it right).

To get a sample letter from Bangkok Bank for your particular embassy, go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). Once you have your example letter you can go to your embassy. BTW It is very possible someone at Bangkok Bank may simply just offer a helping hand if you look unsure.

Note you may be able to use the UK Embassy letter, because it is the generic text that counts.

1) Return/Go to Bangkok Bank head office fully armed with all documentation, 500 THB opening credit deposit and 600 THB for an international cash point card and separate debit card.

2) At Bangkok Bank's head office go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). After that just be polite and courteous and you will get a passbook cash and debit card BUT sadly no internet banking. This is pretty much the only account you can open on a tourist visa but it does help when it comes to paying local utility bills by direct debit.

NOTES:

I did ask Hemaraj a .SETI 30 listed company to see if they could help. Much to their embarrassment they could not assist in making the process any simpler. They kindly provided a letter stating I was a good client and could the bank assist, but how much this helped I don't know. I understand that this has changed but have no personal experience of this.

IRRITATINGLY Bangkok Bank will keep the original, a copy is not enough. I did not know this at the time but consider the embassy letter to be a useful document in its own right. Just a thought but it may be prudent to ask for several copies to be produced by your Embassy as this may save time in the future.

PKRV.

YEP That was me - You have no idea how many times I have posted this information. This question just keeps coming up and is ever changing. Quite frankly I got bored and posted to a pinned thread. BTW you should look at my posts on the first page of that thread on onshore/offshore transfers (back then, time has moved on). I have been around and lost holiday time listening to idle chatter. Sort of an attempt to spare others the mind numbing tedium. ];-)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Onshore-offs...0&start=100

Page 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Onshore-offs...Mo-t127371.html

Thanks guys,

Bernie

Bucko

NOTES:

PKRV.

YEP That was me - You have no idea how many times I have posted this information. This question just keeps coming up and is ever changing. Quite frankly I got bored and posted to a pinned thread. BTW you should look at my posts on the first page of that thread on onshore/offshore transfers (back then, time has moved on). I have been around and lost holiday time listening to idle chatter. Sort of an attempt to spare others the mind numbing tedium. ];-)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Onshore-offs...0&start=100

Page 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Onshore-offs...Mo-t127371.html

Bangkok bank atm's are not very handy in pattaya, they charge you a 20bht fee , unless you use the atm bolted to the branch your account is at, 2 road and soi 6, geting internet access to your bangkok bank account involves mailing letters with a password, they cant just tell you at the branch???? Why not??? Kasikorn Bank at north end big c are able to tell you the password in the branch and you have internet access that day with out waiting for a letter to arrive from Bangkok, Kasikorn also does not charge you a fee if you withdraw from any Kasikorn atm in Thailand. I have stopped using my Bangkok Bank be1 card as it is much handier and cheaper to use Kasikorn. Kasikorn gave me internet access, an atm card and 2 accounts in a half hour, with a passport , Bangkok Bank gave me 1 account and a 2 week wait for an atm card. Kasikorn wins hands down.

Thanks guys,

Bernie

I opened a joint account at K bank on suhkumvit 77 up from on nut bts with my tourist visa and with my wife - we just showed up with my passport and married cert and all was ok - it definitely helps when they like you. I think they thought we were a cute couple haha. I put 20,000 baht or so - took an hour or so. the weirdest thing for me was they charge you for the debit cards. I think it was 300 baht per card. I got really good service at that branch though.

I opened a joint account at K bank on suhkumvit 77 up from on nut bts with my tourist visa and with my wife - we just showed up with my passport and married cert and all was ok - it definitely helps when they like you. I think they thought we were a cute couple haha. I put 20,000 baht or so - took an hour or so. the weirdest thing for me was they charge you for the debit cards. I think it was 300 baht per card. I got really good service at that branch though.

Thats sounds easy. Does that come with internet banking access, with statements of account & activity online? Do they send hardcopies to the address you provide, and can you choose to receive soft copies only?

I can't answer for K bank but my accounts with SCB all had the extra charge per ATM/Debit card and there is an annual fee of 200 per card also. SCB has internet banking that is included. A normal savings account has no statements. Updating the passbook is all you can do but with internet banking you can see all the activity as needed

Is it possile to transfer money out of the country with Kasikorn Bank at this time does anyone know? I went to open an account with SCB yesterday... very unhelpful and wanted more paperwork than they had originally requested.

Is it so that the 'Bank of Thailand' dont allow telegraphic transfers out of the country?

Is it possile to transfer money out of the country with Kasikorn Bank at this time does anyone know? I went to open an account with SCB yesterday... very unhelpful and wanted more paperwork than they had originally requested.

Best way, if yr in BKK, go in to Kbank, Soi 33 branch & ask them. Do not rely on telephone conversations over something like that.

Good luck.:)

• 2 weeks later...

OK The OP has promised to get back to us (and I have PM'ed him to remind him ];-) he has been in Bangkok for a few days now. He is in a similar position to me (Bangkok and Visa position)

1)He is going to attempt to open a passbook savings account on a Tourist Visa ONLY

2) He is after internet access - This is my main area of interest in this thread as I don't currently have this on my Bangkok Bank passbook savings account - I know that Juristic have refunded 100,000 to me (an insurance for structural work carried out) but cannot actually check this until I return, and put my book in the machine.

3) He is Bangkok Based.

Lets see what happened - I think he will get back to us.

OK The OP has promised to get back to us (and I have PM'ed him to remind him ];-) he has been in Bangkok for a few days now. He is in a similar position to me (Bangkok and Visa position)

1)He is going to attempt to open a passbook savings account on a Tourist Visa ONLY

2) He is after internet access - This is my main area of interest in this thread as I don't currently have this on my Bangkok Bank passbook savings account - I know that Juristic have refunded 100,000 to me (an insurance for structural work carried out) but cannot actually check this until I return, and put my book in the machine.

3) He is Bangkok Based.

What is it that you didn't understand in my post about Kasikorn @ Soi 33?

Post # 28

or phaethon's posts

Is English not you native language?

You are now a PITA! :) Repeating the same old rubbish in all of your posts.

I doubt that you would be allowed to cross Sukhumvit road on your own.

3) He is Bangkok Based.

What is it that you didn't understand in my post about Kasikorn @ Soi 33?

Post # 28

or phaethon's posts

Is English not you native language?

You are now a PITA! :) Repeating the same old rubbish in all of your posts.

I doubt that you would be allowed to cross Sukhumvit road on your own.

There is a question of mutual respect here - I think the OP question was correct - and only he can answer it, I am interested in any help he can give me on internet access, actually on my existing account.

Is that OK?

3) He is Bangkok Based.

For 2) Why don't you call the automated phone line system and check on your balance?

For 2) Why don't you call the automated phone line system and check on your balance?

beechguy - Thanks very much indeed - I had no idea such a facility existed. Looked it up on the site

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ing/Default.htm

But cannot test this as I stupidly left my passbook in Bangkok.

I guess my western mind just goes 'crunch' thinking about such 'archaic' concepts as phone banking. None the less it is better than nothing, and could help me remotely monitor my account. I will check this out the next time I am in Bangkok.

THANKS - PKRV :)

<edit OPPS Just noticed - Call our friendly customer service representatives now on 1333 - Is this service only available in Thailand? If so it defeats the objective I have of remotely monitoring the account from the UK (in my case). End edit>

beechguy - Thanks very much indeed - I had no idea such a facility existed. Looked it up on the site

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ing/Default.htm

But cannot test this as I stupidly left my passbook in Bangkok.

I guess my western mind just goes 'crunch' thinking about such 'archaic' concepts as phone banking. None the less it is better than nothing, and could help me remotely monitor my account. I will check this out the next time I am in Bangkok.

THANKS - PKRV :)

<edit OPPS Just noticed - Call our friendly customer service representatives now on 1333 - Is this service only available in Thailand? If so it defeats the objective I have of remotely monitoring the account from the UK (in my case). End edit>

Excuse the late reply, was out of town a few days. If outside of Thailand, you can try 66-2645-5555. You can use the number on your Be 1st card if you have that with you, and don't need the account number from the passbook. Not online banking, but as you said, better than nothing!

Bangkok Bank rules for foreigners opening internet banking are thus:

- any long stay visa (Non Imm B, O, OA, spouse, diplomat, etc etc) can apply at any branch - you need passport plus one other form of ID which may include a driver's license (if that shows an address) + the accounts that you want to view on internet banking. For worker, forget the drivers license and use the WP.

- for tourist visa holders - there needs to be demonstrated evidence that you're not just a regular tourist (i.e. living in Thailand, home owning, family commitments etc). They won't do this on a "new account" or itinerant tourist - some degree of length of stay is required.

A.

Okay Guys, I went to Kasakorn on Sukumviet yesterday. If I told you all that it took 5 minuets that might be pushing it. Maybe it was the time of day that I went but I got a number and they called me right in. He spoke not a single word of English and it didn’t seem to matter anyway. Passport, local address, cell phone number, 500 baht, and sign everywhere he put an X. No questions or small talk what so ever. I was not dressed any way in particular but only jeans and a tucked in collard shirt. He did make a copy of my Thai driver’s license with my passport but I don’t think it would have mattered if I had it or not. I only pulled it out because I thought it had my address on it. I gave him my wife’s business card and he used that address without asking me a word or batting an eye. I got there around 11am and by 12 I was already half pissed across the street at the Bourbon Street Bar slamming down Coronas.

Once again, Thanks for everyones help.

JANG PANG!

Thanks guys for the last three posts they have really helped me too!

Excuse the late reply, was out of town a few days. If outside of Thailand, you can try 66-2645-5555. You can use the number on your Be 1st card if you have that with you, and don't need the account number from the passbook. Not online banking, but as you said, better than nothing!

beechguy - Yes I did have my Be1st card on me and yes the phone number worked - A bit clunky but I did get my ballance that indicated the money had indeed been paid in - So yes phone banking is better than nothing THANKS - PKRV - :D

Bangkok Bank rules for foreigners opening internet banking are thus:

- any long stay visa (Non Imm B, O, OA, spouse, diplomat, etc etc) can apply at any branch - you need passport plus one other form of ID which may include a driver's license (if that shows an address) + the accounts that you want to view on internet banking. For worker, forget the drivers license and use the WP.

- for tourist visa holders - there needs to be demonstrated evidence that you're not just a regular tourist (i.e. living in Thailand, home owning, family commitments etc). They won't do this on a "new account" or itinerant tourist - some degree of length of stay is required.

A.

aurelius - Thanks I had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case - I am back over end August beginning September and should have demonstrated electricity utility bills direct debits for my condo, on my Bangkok Bank account, over some period of time. Time to try again! I will get back to this thread - PKRV :D

Okay Guys, I went to Kasakorn on Sukumviet yesterday. If I told you all that it took 5 minuets that might be pushing it. Maybe it was the time of day that I went but I got a number and they called me right in. He spoke not a single word of English and it didn't seem to matter anyway. Passport, local address, cell phone number, 500 baht, and sign everywhere he put an X. No questions or small talk what so ever. I was not dressed any way in particular but only jeans and a tucked in collard shirt. He did make a copy of my Thai driver's license with my passport but I don't think it would have mattered if I had it or not. I only pulled it out because I thought it had my address on it. I gave him my wife's business card and he used that address without asking me a word or batting an eye. I got there around 11am and by 12 I was already half pissed across the street at the Bourbon Street Bar slamming down Coronas.

Once again, Thanks for everyones help.

JANG PANG!

bernie66 - Thanks for the update I too will look into this if I fail with Bangkok Bank - What did you actually get

For me it was:

International Be1st Debit card

International cash point card

Blue passbook savings account book

Just found out :) phone banking

Did you get internet banking? Thanks for all your feedback guys :D

• 1 month later...

I have my account and credit card with Bangkok Bank, choose them because I was told they are the best when it comes to getting funds into the country by wire transfer. This is true, if my bank in Canada does a transfer, the next day the funds are in my account here. Getting a credit card required a hold on double the credit limit of the card???

The thing that I found odd was that if you go to any branch other than the one you have your account, they charge you to withdraw AND to deposit money to/from your account. Is this standard procedure with all banks in Thailand? What about the holding of funds for the CC ?

I have my account and credit card with Bangkok Bank, choose them because I was told they are the best when it comes to getting funds into the country by wire transfer. This is true, if my bank in Canada does a transfer, the next day the funds are in my account here. Getting a credit card required a hold on double the credit limit of the card???

The thing that I found odd was that if you go to any branch other than the one you have your account, they charge you to withdraw AND to deposit money to/from your account. Is this standard procedure with all banks in Thailand? What about the holding of funds for the CC ?

Bangkok Bank will charge you to deposit and withdraw money at any branch/atm that is not where you opened your account. They have some other strange rules that are repeated on this forum weekly. Kasikorn Bank has none of the problems you will encounter at Bangkok Bank, from opening an account, to atm card ,to internet access. I suggest you visit Kasikorn Bank, take your passport , its all you need, oh yeah 100 baht for the atm card.

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok Bank will charge you to deposit and withdraw money at any branch/atm that is not where you opened your account. They have some other strange rules that are repeated on this forum weekly. Kasikorn Bank has none of the problems you will encounter at Bangkok Bank, from opening an account, to atm card ,to internet access. I suggest you visit Kasikorn Bank, take your passport , its all you need, oh yeah 100 baht for the atm card.

Hi I am Bangkok Bank based but use almost exclusively automated machines. I do not see the charges you are referring to, regardless of branch. What are you doing?

I know I have an outstanding Bangkok Bank question regarding internet banking, but will attempt to deal with this on Monday the 24th.

Archived