Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand

Good old samui, I guess everything is over priced there, the price for your atm card at Kasikorn Banks in Patttaya is 100 baht.

I'm surprised that Kasikorn would be charging different amounts for that at different branches. Now you've got me wondering if the extra 400 baht might have gone straight into someone's pocket. Still doesn't matter to me though - if I they had told me that I had to pay them a 400 baht "tip" in order to open an account without a work permit I would have paid it.

Good old samui, I guess everything is over priced there, the price for your atm card at Kasikorn Banks in Patttaya is 100 baht.

I'm surprised that Kasikorn would be charging different amounts for that at different branches. Now you've got me wondering if the extra 400 baht might have gone straight into someone's pocket. Still doesn't matter to me though - if I they had told me that I had to pay them a 400 baht "tip" in order to open an account without a work permit I would have paid it.

I think that I found out the reason for the discrepancy between the 500 baht that I paid for an ATM card when opening my Kasikornbank savings account and the 100 baht that you report as being the norm for the price of a Kasikornbank ATM card in Pattaya.

On Kasikornbank's website I found a table of account charges it shows that the cost of a new "K-Max Debit Card" (which is what they gave me) is 100 baht for card issuance plus a 400 baht annual fee. When I opened my account, they just said that the cost of the ATM card was 500 baht and they didn't mention that 400 baht of that was a recurrent annual fee. It seems a bit odd to me for a bank to charge an annual fee for an ATM card, but I suppose that in the grand scheme of things it's not really a significant expense. The table of fees can be found here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding on-line banking:

I live in Europe with my Thai wife and we visit Thailand each year in the summer. I have a savings account with Bangkok Bank into which we transfer funds ahead of our annual visit. When I was in BKK last July I went to HQ of Bangkok Bank in Silom, where my account is held, to ask for online banking.

All that happened was they wanted to see my visa. As it was a single entry non-immigrant O they said, fine, and filled out forms for me. The confirmation and password were sent to my Thai address by mail within about a week and everything works fine.

JohnB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to update anyone who's interested in my being able to obtain a Siam Comm'l Bank/Sansiri VISA credit card: I picked up my card, had it activated, and have used it once at King Power duty free. No problems. Credit limit 50,000 baht.

I was also able to set up a new PayPal account with this card. To do this, I had to use a separate email address showing a Thailand address. It was not possible to have a single PayPal account with one credit card having a HK address and an added card with an address not in HK.

So I set up a separate email address with a Thailand address and then added this VISA card. No problems setting up the PayPal account.

So theoretically I can transfer funds from my HK based PayPal account to my Thailand based PayPal account and vice versa. This might come in handy in the future, but just not needed for my use right now.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, upon the advice of others here, finally took the step of opening a K-Bank savings acct the other day. Process was smooth. Needed passport (of course), physical address, and 500B or so initial deposit (although I opened it with a bit more). Ordered and initialized VISA ATM debit card (300B first year, 200B each additional year) and Internet banking (no charge) at the same time. Did this while on a Tourist Visa, too.

I'm currently looking at SCB, too, and checking out some of their online and other interesting services not requiring a work permit.

Bangkok Bank? Who needs 'em...

The table of fees can be found here.

So far as I can see the Kasikorn K-Max debit card costs 200 more than the standard and carries accident insurance.

I was not given a choice; had I known I would have said just the standard.

Not complaining, but future users might like to know.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Ca...ages/Debit.aspx (updated link)

... VISA ATM debit card (300B first year, 200B each additional year) ...

I agree with you on the 500 baht min. deposit, but the branch I went to told me the issue fee was 500 baht, not 300b first year as you wrote. I opened it in mid Septemeber at the Khao San Rd branch. I wonder did I get ripped off 200b, or did they have a recent change in fee.

I agree with you on the 500 baht min. deposit, but the branch I went to told me the issue fee was 500 baht, not 300b first year as you wrote. I opened it in mid Septemeber at the Khao San Rd branch. I wonder did I get ripped off 200b, or did they have a recent change in fee.

See my post above yours and follow the link.

They sell you the K-Max with insurance, costs double the standard card, without giving you a choice.

Presumably next year we will have to pay 300 to change to the standard card. :)

I opened one account in Ayudhya Bank.

1. I told I have my own business - and smiled.

2. Showed my passport with 'B' visa - explained that I am here for business and smiled.

3. Told them some random things of doing business in Thailand - wanting to move money around the world - I'm the business - businessbusiness - and smiled.A

4. Filled in the papers - ticked box business owner - used the address of my apartment - and smiled.

5. Paid 300THB for the account and 500THB as an initial deposit - and smiled.

6. I received Visa debit card and bank notebook - and we all smiled.

I was able to get a Siam Comm'l Bank/Sansiri VISA credit card, Thai baht based, auto deduct monthly from baht savings passbook account opened at SCB. Had to put down a 100,000 baht fixed deposit account as guarantee, with account document held by the bank. No work permit or tax/salary statement req'd; only showed that I own a condo unit in BKK...

I wonder if that condo unit is what did it for you. I will have no property to present. When I went into a few different branches of SCB in the past it was strictly "no way" for any kind of business at all, even for the simplest of accounts (i.e. just hold my money, no atm card). If I have time in the future I will try to stop by there, let you know if anything good.

edit: in addition, while that sounds nice if it were possible to get some kind of secured credit card, 100,000 is a bit much for me. I could keep it there for a while, but not very long, even though it doesn't seem like much.

See my post above yours and follow the link.

They sell you the K-Max with insurance, costs double the standard card, without giving you a choice.

Presumably next year we will have to pay 300 to change to the standard card. :)

Hmmmm, what kind of insurance is this? I saw something listed online as some kind of life insurance?? strange.

Also just a note to EVERYONE. I saw some mentioned that Kasikorn has practically no fees, while that may be true, do be advised that I saw this listed on their site for "schedule of fees:"

-Kasikornbank reserves the right to review and amend its Schedule of Fees at any time without the need to give prior notice.

Furthermore, when I went to sign up for K-Cyber Banking about an hour ago, I saw an agreement form that was even more strongly worded, something to the effect "Kasikorn management may change their fees (for K-Cyber Banking) at anytime as they see fit, and you agree to pay such fees at that time", practically just like that. Kinda couldn't help notice. It said "press Yes if you agree" but I didn't, yet. Apparently no fees now, what about later. I'm a former Vietnam expat, so I'm used to thinking like that. If you guys think Thailand is disorganized, you haven't spent a few years of life in v-nam.

(reason for edit: cleaned up quote a bit)

Here it is, regarding the K-Cyber Banking rules:

8. A user agrees to pay K-Cyber Banking fee to the Bank at the time and rate determined by the Bank. The Bank hereby reserves the right to adjust this fee at any time, as the Bank think it's appropriate, with prior notice being given to the user. The user hereby authorizes the Bank to debit any service fee due promptly against his account held with the Bank.

Note that it does say "with" prior notice. But then it also says "pay the fee promptly."

Opened one this morning.

Siam Commercial Bank, Soi Thong Lo, J Avenue Branch.

In and out in 10 mins, savings account with Mastercard ATM debit card and account passbook. Went in with passport and workpermit, filled in details and address, no bother, no questions; happy customer. :)

500 baht deposit, 300 baht fee for card.

• 2 weeks later...
This is how you do it: Thread title:

You Can Open A Bank Account, bank accounts

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Bank-Ac...25#entry1735189

But I did make a mistake

Damm - The queuing systems screen s in Bangkok Bank head office are at the back but to the right – sorry - PKRV

You must have a work permit or non immigrant visa now. (2009) *RUBBISH*

Billion,

please cease posting wrong info in this topic. :)

No, you didn't get ripped off. I made a mistake. I discovered that, yes, it is 300B activation fee, 200B yearly fee, which together, as it follows, constitutes the initial 500B hit. Is that what they charged you? I'd be surprised if it were 500B activation fee. If it was, then I'd take it up with them...

Also, for those thinking of getting one of these and trying to use it to purchase items over the Web, you need to also do a secondary activation process once your internet banking has been setup and activated.

After you logon, at the main page look for the ew_en_over.gif link down on the left-hand side. Go through the simple procedure to set it up. It'll say there's a one-day wait to activate. Then you can use your K-Debit Card to purchase items over the web. Discovered this the hard way after many failed attempts to purchase airline tickets with it this past week... Argh!

Additional note: on a whim, stopped in a local SCB branch yesterday and asked to open a simple savings acct. Was told needed a work permit now. No exceptions. Well, so much for SCB...

No, you didn't get ripped off. I made a mistake. I discovered that, yes, it is 300B activation fee, 200B yearly fee, which together, as it follows, constitutes the initial 500B hit. Is that what they charged you? I'd be surprised if it were 500B activation fee. If it was, then I'd take it up with them...

The standard card costs 200 plus 100.

The K-Max costs 400 plus 100, and you get insurance.

See my earlier post.

Not so much a ripoff, more a failure to inform you that you have a choice.

Thanks for the K-Web card info.

• 3 weeks later...

Beg to differ on your comments....I opened an account at the main branch of BKK bank in Silom 3 weeks ago with nothing more than a standard EU passport and tourist 30 day entry stamp. I got a BE 1st chip and PIN debit card and an additional standard debit card (non chip and PIN) that doubles as a sky train pass.

You'll need either a work permit or a non-O immigration visa in your passport to open a Thai bank account these days.

Deposit of 500-1000 Baht is required with Bangkok Bank (head office, silom road) when open a new account in your name.

I have several accounts, Be 1st debit card and internet banking as well based on non-O immigration visa with Bangkok Bank head office. :)

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expat...%20required.pdf

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expat...ingbanking.html

I just went with my passport and 1000 baht to the Bangkok Bank Branch in Pattaya 2nd road.

No problems at all; had to fill in a form.

the only problem was when I asked them that I wanted internet banking; they asked for my "O" visa which was expired.

I have a new one now and will try again.

they also wanted a mailing address in Thailand. Just gave them the address of a reliable girl that I know for many years.

hope this helps

thaisabai

I got a BE 1st chip and PIN debit card and an additional standard debit card (non chip and PIN) that doubles as a sky train pass.

Now that is interesting - I too was offered an upgrade to chip and pin cards by Bangkok Banks head office. However that was not for international cards only local cards. I preferred the international option.

Maybe the second cashpoint card (is it a cashpoint or debit card my (international) second card is cashpoint) doubling as a skytrain pass will work in the same way as the octopus card in Hong Kong? I have not seen this before.

BTW did they offer up front Internet banking on a tourist visa? I do have this after some 5 holidays expending effort and at the end of the exercise one of the codes/pin did not work on the joint account, I am going to have to fix that next holiday.

But yes assets in Thailand make a fundimental difference, especially owing a condominium.

You don't need a tourist visa, or any other kind of visa, to get an account with internet banking at Kasikorn.

I had the standard 30 day on arrival stamp, nothing more, when I opened the account. Simply asked for K-Cyber banking and got it.

Did have a DTAC sim card from 7-11 in my mobile. Gave stepson's address.

Only 500 Baht in the account, still hoping for a slightly better rate before shifting the bulk.

Now 500.35 after almost 3 months sitting there.

You don't need a tourist visa, or any other kind of visa, to get an account with internet banking at Kasikorn.

I had the standard 30 day on arrival stamp, nothing more,

They are one and the same thing.

Actually, they are not the same thing, even though most people think they are. A tourist visa is a formal and separate category, like sports, educ, medical, etc, and the arrival stamp is simply that. (even though at the airport its called "visa on arrival").

I got a BE 1st chip and PIN debit card and an additional standard debit card (non chip and PIN) that doubles as a sky train pass.

Now that is interesting - I too was offered an upgrade to chip and pin cards by Bangkok Banks head office. However that was not for international cards only local cards. I preferred the international option.

Be1st Smart (as it is called - the one with the chip) is usable on BBL ATMs (most of them) and international ATMs that accept chip, as well as EDC's (merchant terminals) that accept chip all over the world. Some countries which have not upgraded to Chip yet - the US for example - will not be able to accept the card. Likewise, other banks in Thailand non of which have upgraded their ATMs yet - cannot accept the card. Almost all Thai EDC's can accept it - so it brings some safety to shopping in Thailand with a debit card.

The BTS one relies on magnetic stripe technology so has the same risk of "skimming" as any other magnetic card. The BTS travel wallet in the card can be topped up using the ATMs on the sky train platform or the BTS cashier.

Actually, they are not the same thing, even though most people think they are. A tourist visa is a formal and separate category, like sports, educ, medical, etc, and the arrival stamp is simply that. (even though at the airport its called "visa on arrival").

Sorry to be pernickety but for the avoidance of doubt the "visa on arrival" is a visa which is issued to some visa nationals on arrival before they clear immigration; whereas an arrival stamp is put in the passport of everybody clearing immigration, be they passengers with visas, tourists who can enter visa free and even Thai nationals returning home.

Sorry to be pernickety but for the avoidance of doubt the "visa on arrival" is a visa which is issued to some visa nationals on arrival before they clear immigration; whereas an arrival stamp is put in the passport of everybody clearing immigration, be they passengers with visas, tourists who can enter visa free and even Thai nationals returning home.

Hi theoldgit and aurelius. I will update my own home page to state I am operating in Thailand on a "visa on arrival" type visa, because I am from the UK I can get this. This is actually IMO not off topic at all! Opening an account with a "visa on arrival" or I guess a "tourist visa" is one of the most complex mechanisms - Other visa types should be relatively straight forward.

Thanks for the clarification - You know what thank god for pinned topics! As Farangs we all live and learn as strangers in a strange land. And things do and have changed.

I will use the term "visa on arrival" in future to define my (current) visa status.

Edit - Mind you from a Thai Banking perspective I doubt if they would percieve or maybe even understand the differences. They would IMO be treated in the same manner.

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

KASIKORN BANK Seacon Square branches just take some money and passport SCB are no good there, the decision is down to the individual branch manager even if the banks policy is different.

Bangkok Bank in the ground floor of Siam Paragon opens (savings) accounts (with debit card) for foreigners. All you need is an address in Thailand, your passport and a letter from your embassy/consulate (they will try to call your embassy/consulate so make sure you go to the bank at a time when YOUR embassy/consulate is open).

I found Kasikorn Bank to be the easiest - they opened 3 (savings) accounts for me (Euro, Bath and US$). All I had to present to them was my passport, an address in Thailand and I deposited my cash with them there and then.

The only problem that I have with Kasikorn bank is: I can check my Thai bath account online and transfer money from that account BUT I cannot access my Euro or Dollar accounts online - that is what I really wanted the most... Every time I want to stock up my Bath account I have to go into the bank and withdraw the Euros (or dollars), exchange those and pay the money into the Bath account. I'm not at all pleased with that.

Unfortunately due to the language barrier, nobody at the bank was able to explain to me WHY I cannot use online banking for my Euro and dollar accounts. Can anybody here shed some light on that or better still, suggest a bank in Thailand that DOES offer online banking for Euro and Dollar accounts?

I have heard from many people that claim to have opened a bank account with no more than a passport. I have heard the passport and a letter from the embassy. I got denied at Siam Commercial Bank in the mall with a current non O visa, a letter of employment (not in thailand), Thai drivers license, a letter from the embassy, and my wife standing there with her account book from that bank. I have come to the conclusion that it is only the branch you go to as to weather they will give you an account or not. It has been about 2 years since I tried last. I am coming home in a couple of weeks and want to try again. Can everyone who has a bank account in BKK please leave me some info so I can make a list of places to try.

1) Branch name and location that let you open the account.

2) What documentation you had to provide to open the account.

KASIKORN BANK Seacon Square branches just take some money and passport SCB are no good there, the decision is down to the individual branch manager even if the banks policy is different.

Bangkok Bank in the ground floor of Siam Paragon opens (savings) accounts (with debit card) for foreigners. All you need is an address in Thailand, your passport and a letter from your embassy/consulate (they will try to call your embassy/consulate so make sure you go to the bank at a time when YOUR embassy/consulate is open).

I found Kasikorn Bank to be the easiest - they opened 3 (savings) accounts for me (Euro, Bath and US$). All I had to present to them was my passport, an address in Thailand and I deposited my cash with them there and then.

The only problem that I have with Kasikorn bank is: I can check my Thai bath account online and transfer money from that account BUT I cannot access my Euro or Dollar accounts online - that is what I really wanted the most... Every time I want to stock up my Bath account I have to go into the bank and withdraw the Euros (or dollars), exchange those and pay the money into the Bath account. I'm not at all pleased with that.

Unfortunately due to the language barrier, nobody at the bank was able to explain to me WHY I cannot use online banking for my Euro and dollar accounts. Can anybody here shed some light on that or better still, suggest a bank in Thailand that DOES offer online banking for Euro and Dollar accounts?

Bangkok Bank offers internet access to its foreign currency deposit accounts. You can view foreign currency accounts and transfer funds from USD or Euro accounts to THB account online. Check out its website bangkokbank.com

Archived