Koh Chang Bungalow Resorts

femi fan

hello

i went to koh chang back in 1997 and 98, and finally i shall go back again. I realise it won't be much like it was then, but nor am I! Mainly i'm no longer an easy single traveller, but now have a wife and a kid to weigh me down!

I recall staying at, i think, KC bungalows at the northern end of white sand beach. Is it still there? What a magical time i had at that place - only paraffin lamps to light the night! And glorious sunsets with barely anybody else on the beach - october time i used to go.

More importantly, i was looking for tips for guest houses or bungalows, not those expensive hotels that one books up on the net. Just like the old days i want to pitch up and just get a place. But recommendations always ease the arrival process.

Also, i only ever went to white sand beach. I always understood there were some equally beautiful beaches more south. I have been reading a bit on the island before this posting, but lonely beach both sounds very nice, and seems to have a higher concentration of bungalow resorts rather than the air-con hotel type stuff.

So, really, anybody got any hints for me over accommodation, beaches, and anything else i may need to know? I may drive down (from chiang mai), in which case presumably there's safe places to park the car on the mainland?

Cheers in advance for any ideas.

I think you'll find that Koh Chang has changed beyond recognition. KC is still there in the guise of KC Grande Resort, The photo below is the location of the old wooden huts where you stayed. May not have the same 'paraffin light' ambience but at least you now have a swim up pool bar and the seaview rooms have a jacuzzi on the balcony.

post-56770-1240880845_thumb.jpg

Have a look at www.travelfish.org for reviews of budget and mid range bungalows. You'll also find general island info on my site - www.iamkohchang.com

If you want to mingle with the gap year backpackers then go for one of the Lonely beach fan bungalows complexes. But there are also some nice places to stay there too, such as Warapura, Bhumiyama & Siam beach resorts.

You can drive to Koh Chang, there have been car ferries for 7-8 years now. So no need/reason to park on the mainland.

Edited by Changian

Thanks for the reply mate. In fact i've been looking at your site, well didn't know it was yours till just now! Nice site, and it helped me decide to choose chang for the trip. Chiang Mai is a great place to live, but it does make trips to the beach expensive, particularly when there's three of me!

I'm going to look through the results on travelfish, but if you have any particular recommendations then so much the better. I was trying to get a place that would be nearer 500 baht than 1000 since we'll need two bungalows. They just need to be clean and comfortable with bathroom, fan, and preferably by the beach (and if i have my way not concrete). However if there is a fine fine place at 1000 a night, then i could be tempted to part with more hard-earned cash.

From looking at your site i had pretty much decided to make it to had sai keow or lonely beach. I also thought from your site that the original KC bungalows were still there, that the grande place was an addition. Ahh, they's were the days! I distinctly recall being there just after they'd announced the first Amazing Thailand tourist campaign, but not for good reasons.

Is it easy enough to drive my car around the island? I've a saloon not a pick-up.

And if i was still single i might have been tempted to try and book in at your place. It looks nice and different, so no doubt we'll pay you a visit. I'll be the arsenal man from chiang mai...!

One last question if i may: if we get off at the top end of the white sand beach, then walk up the beach to the northern end, am i likely to find a suitable place? Is it still the same, where you have to walk up there? I recall places more north than the KC bungalows.

Oh, weather good? Sunsets?

Looks like i'll have to buy you a beer at this rate...!

Thanks for the reply mate. In fact i've been looking at your site, well didn't know it was yours till just now! Nice site, and it helped me decide to choose chang for the trip. Chiang Mai is a great place to live, but it does make trips to the beach expensive, particularly when there's three of me!

I'm going to look through the results on travelfish, but if you have any particular recommendations then so much the better. I was trying to get a place that would be nearer 500 baht than 1000 since we'll need two bungalows. They just need to be clean and comfortable with bathroom, fan, and preferably by the beach (and if i have my way not concrete). However if there is a fine fine place at 1000 a night, then i could be tempted to part with more hard-earned cash.

From looking at your site i had pretty much decided to make it to or lonely beach. I also thought from your site that the original KC bungalows were still there, that the grande place was an addition. Ahh, they's were the days! I distinctly recall being there just after they'd announced the first Amazing Thailand tourist campaign, but not for good reasons.

Is it easy enough to drive my car around the island? I've a saloon not a pick-up.

And if i was still single i might have been tempted to try and book in at your place. It looks nice and different, so no doubt we'll pay you a visit. I'll be the arsenal man from chiang mai...!

One last question if i may: if we get off at the top end of the white sand beach, then walk up the beach to the northern end, am i likely to find a suitable place? Is it still the same, where you have to walk up there? I recall places more north than the KC bungalows.

Oh, weather good? Sunsets?

Looks like i'll have to buy you a beer at this rate...!

Dude Koh Chang is now really developed ... good roads... and nothing like you remembered it.... think Koh Sumui light...... and no worry about finding a place... it is dead here..

"had sai keow", is white sand beach... lonely beach.. is not so lonely... If I where you, I would get to white sand beach and just keep driving... get to klong Prao... Tiger hut is going to be more what you are looking for ... I also stayed at KP hut's 4 years ago... so I know what you are trying to re-live..... Blue lagoon is also different ... right on the river a stones throw from the beach.... wood hut .. fan, moskito net .... Quiet but close to every thing..... Ian is great, he will be able to steer you in the right direction....

James

Dude Koh Chang is now really developed ... good roads... and nothing like you remembered it.... think Koh Sumui light...... and no worry about finding a place... it is dead here..

"had sai keow", is white sand beach... lonely beach.. is not so lonely... If I where you, I would get to white sand beach and just keep driving... get to klong Prao... Tiger hut is going to be more what you are looking for ... I also stayed at KP hut's 4 years ago... so I know what you are trying to re-live..... Blue lagoon is also different ... right on the river a stones throw from the beach.... wood hut .. fan, moskito net .... Quiet but close to every thing..... Ian is great, he will be able to steer you in the right direction....

James

I'm mentally prepared for the changes! But to be honest, the trip is more for my wife and her soon-to-be teenage daughter. It seemed like a mixture of vaguely cheap beach holiday (chiang mai is a long way!) with still reasonable island feel. I'm gonna drive down, so that keeps us free in terms of timetables.

Anyhow, cheers for the input. My plan at the moment is to go straight to white sand beach and check in somewhere at the northern end, after experiencing what i reckon will be a sunken heart at what was once KC bungalows! With the car i can then keep free with choices.

I'll look it up in a mo, but what's good about klong prao beach? Can i drive there no worries?

Times change. I recall thaksin declaring chang to be the new phuket. There was no shortage of reasons to detest the man, but it seems a sad way of life that rich folk simply take over where the adventurous plot their paths in life. The story i read about CP on iamkohchang said it all...

Look, at least cheer me up and tell me i made a better decision than going to samet! I might have gone, but figure it will be a busy week next week with so many public holidays.

Anyhow, chiang mai's great, but it ain't got white sandy beaches, and that used to be my mainstay when living in bangkok. Don't get down so often now, so i'm gonna enjoy it, just have to keep away from all that concrete...

James

I'm mentally prepared for the changes! But to be honest, the trip is more for my wife and her soon-to-be teenage daughter. It seemed like a mixture of vaguely cheap beach holiday (chiang mai is a long way!) with still reasonable island feel. I'm gonna drive down, so that keeps us free in terms of timetables.

Anyhow, cheers for the input. My plan at the moment is to go straight to white sand beach and check in somewhere at the northern end, after experiencing what i reckon will be a sunken heart at what was once KC bungalows! With the car i can then keep free with choices.

I'll look it up in a mo, but what's good about klong prao beach? Can i drive there no worries?

Times change. I recall thaksin declaring chang to be the new phuket. There was no shortage of reasons to detest the man, but it seems a sad way of life that rich folk simply take over where the adventurous plot their paths in life. The story i read about CP on iamkohchang said it all...

Look, at least cheer me up and tell me i made a better decision than going to samet! I might have gone, but figure it will be a busy week next week with so many public holidays.

Anyhow, chiang mai's great, but it ain't got white sandy beaches, and that used to be my mainstay when living in bangkok. Don't get down so often now, so i'm gonna enjoy it, just have to keep away from all that concrete...

Look, there are paved roads here, electricity, running water ... a 7,11 every hundred meters.. Klong Prao beach is really long, and not as built up as white sand. Kai Bai Is nice too. with a bit more to do as far as nightlife... but you have a car... so why live in the middle of a noisy party, when you don't have too? I guaranty your not going to like white sand's.... just keep driving ... but thats just my opinion.... it's up to you...

Good luck James

Like I said, Ian's web site tell's it pretty much like it is, so You wont go to far wrong if you read it.

No problem to drive to Klong Prao beach and all the way down to Bangbao in a Honda Jazz. The road gets narrow and is like a mini rollecoaster after Kai Ba, but is paved and in good condition. Klong Prao beach is good because it's usually pretty quiet on the beach and easy to wander along it and escape from everyone. There are quite a few large resorts but these are all interspersed wih large areas of undeveloped beachfront and so it doesnt have the same Benidorm feel as White Sand beach in high season I walk my dog there every afternoon and even in high season it's rare to see more than a couple of dozen people in the stretch from KP Huts & Tiger Huts, north to the estuary.

Thanks to you both for your ideas.

Just one last question in case you see this in time (starting our journey tomorrow morning): I like the sound of both klong prao and kai bae beaches, but i'm getting conflicting information about the actual beaches. It's most important to me that we get some decent white sand and clear water. I don't mind walking a few minutes to get there. So how do these two beaches rate by this factor?

I'm probably gonna stay first night or two at WSB, even if just for a trip down memory lane, and then in that time find a decent place on one of the two beaches you recommend.

Oh, how's the weather??

Edited by femi fan

I know a Koh Jum in Krabi - is that the one you mean?

Weather is still pretty sunny, but some big thunderstorms most nights last week. So expect some grey mornings and sun in the afternoon. Sea is calm,safe to swim at the moment. But very busy now. Loads of people here from Bangkok this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
I know a Koh Jum in Krabi - is that the one you mean?

Weather is still pretty sunny, but some big thunderstorms most nights last week. So expect some grey mornings and sun in the afternoon. Sea is calm,safe to swim at the moment. But very busy now. Loads of people here from Bangkok this weekend.

Yeah, that's the one.

Nearly managed to track you down mate. I took slackjaw's advice and ended up having five nights at tiger huts. Great place, great beach, enjoyed the whole trip. Stayed at independent bo's for the first two nights.

Next time i shall simply get on the overnight train, then a bus, most likely having a lunchtime beer on the beach. Much easier that way.

Very slick operation that ko chang ferry!

Not a single really decent sunset, bit disappointing.

I definitely feel this is the cheapest and easiest option for a good beach experience for those of us living oop north. I hope tiger huts remains this way for a while yet. The top end of that beach just leaves me shaking my head, as did most of white sands beach. I had to laugh at one advert that said their rooms were 'only' ten minutes away!!!

Still, different people want different holidays.

I trust you're having a great time living there, and not getting bored...

I shall be back as soon as i can.

Edited by femi fan