Simon Burrowes Free After Paying 500 Baht Fine

george

Burrowes free after paying 500 baht fine

PHUKET CITY: -- The Simon Burrowes saga appears to have finally come to a conclusion as the Englishman pled guilty to a charge of being impolite to a state official and was fined 500 baht.

Burrowes was due to fly back to the UK on January 31, but became involved in an altercation with Immigration Police officials at Phuket International Airport, who suspected his passport was fake.

Mr Burrowes lost his temper with the immigration officials, whom he had accused of laughing at him.

He was subsequently arrested and spent the next three weeks in Phuket Provincial Prison before his release on bail.

The incident, which caught the attention of the British media, was widely publicized internationally.

Mr Burrowes appeared before Phuket Provincial Court again yesterday and walked away a free man after paying a court-ordered fine of 500 baht (approx US$14.28).

He had originally intended to plead not guilty but, faced with the prospect of a prison sentence, was persuaded to change his plea.

“If I had pled guilty, this could have gone on for awhile and I could have got anything up to three years, so I decided to stop fighting. I was forced to plead guilty,” he explained.

He has been stuck in Thailand since his release from prison, but now that the case is over he is hoping to return to his native England.

“They returned my passport, but the visa has expired so that is now being processed. I don’t know how much that is going to cost; hopefully, it won’t cost me anything,” he said.

Perhaps surprisingly, Mr Burrowes is not desperate to leave Thailand.

“I’d like to stay here for a bit longer, just to relax for a few days. I also need to raise funds for my flight home, which might take awhile. The flight I missed was non-refundable,” he said.

He has no plans to return to the Land of Smiles.

“I doubt I will ever come back. Thailand is not a bad place, but I have had an awful experience here,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-04-28

This is a telling extract from the Gazette report...

"Mr Burrowes lost his temper with the immigration officials, whom he had accused of laughing at him"

That was not a good idea. How many times have you all been in an immigration or customs queue and witnessed some beligerent individual making a fool of him/her self. A lot of folks forget that they are guests of the country they are visiting, and should (try) to respect the officials of the land. It's not at all clear to me who was really at fault in this case and to say that "The thing to do now to save face is to award Simon an elite card, a five year visa, free hotels for life anywhere in Phuket" is rediculous.

This is a telling extract from the Gazette report...

"Mr Burrowes lost his temper with the immigration officials, whom he had accused of laughing at him"

That was not a good idea. How many times have you all been in an immigration or customs queue and witnessed some beligerent individual making a fool of him/her self. A lot of folks forget that they are guests of the country they are visiting, and should (try) to respect the officials of the land. It's not at all clear to me who was really at fault in this case and to say that "The thing to do now to save face is to award Simon an elite card, a five year visa, free hotels for life anywhere in Phuket" is rediculous.

I think it was said "tongue in cheek"

This episode was a complete travesty and it would have been nice if someone in authority could have stepped in and ended it sooner. Just a quiet word from above and a press release stating something about miscommunication for the reason for his release.

Anyway, what is a guest?

(gst)

n.

1. One who is a recipient of hospitality at the home or table of another.

2. One to whom entertainment or hospitality has been extended by another in the role of host or hostess, as at a party.

3. One who pays for meals or accommodations at a restaurant, hotel, or other establishment; a patron.

4. A distinguished visitor to whom the hospitality of an institution, city, or government is extended.

5. A visiting performer, speaker, or contestant, as on a radio or television program.

6. Zoology A commensal organism, especially an insect that lives in the nest or burrow of another species.

Maybe tourists fall under #3 because it seems like (and I am not saying that it is like) 1,2,4,5 and 6 do not apply... Although some would say that #6 applies to the locals as a large % of guest #3 provide a nest (home) to the locals. :)

This episode was a complete travesty and it would have been nice if someone in authority could have stepped in and ended it sooner. Just a quiet word from above and a press release stating something about miscommunication for the reason for his release.

Anyway, what is a guest?

Why do think it's a 'complete travesty' ? Do you have first hand information to share with us. I have no idea whether Mr Burrowes was not respectful, or whether the immigration officer was obnoxious. I'm interested to read any UK press interviews with Mr Burrowes.

A guest can mean many things. I personally consider that I am always a guest when visiting or living in a host country. My interpretation of 'guest' is that I am only in the host country by virtue of the entry/visa stamp granted by the host country, and that I should live by the laws & customs of the host country while I am in their country. I am always aware that I can be asked (with force) to leave the host country, without explanation.

Why do think it's a 'complete travesty' ? Do you have first hand information to share with us. I have no idea whether Mr Burrowes was not respectful, or whether the immigration officer was obnoxious. I'm interested to read any UK press interviews with Mr Burrowes.

A guest can mean many things. I personally consider that I am always a guest when visiting or living in a host country. My interpretation of 'guest' is that I am only in the host country by virtue of the entry/visa stamp granted by the host country, and that I should live by the laws & customs of the host country while I am in their country. I am always aware that I can be asked (with force) to leave the host country, without explanation.

Hey Kata,

I think that it is a complete travesty as the guy spent 2+ weeks in the jug after his passport was confirmed. My opinion is that once the passport was confirmed it should have been an easy fix to let him leave the country. But instead (if the reports are to be believed) they threw the not respectful charge at him because they (immigration) had sweet FA to charge him with. Essentially immigration was being petty... it was 2+ weeks for being pissed off that a real passport was mistaken for a fake one and missing his plane... and that is what I call a travesty.

I do not believe that tourists are not guests in the usual sense of the word, in Thailand. People are allowed to enter the country, spend money, not complain about anything and leave. Tell me how does that equate to a guest... It seems more like tourists are hosts... as in hosts to to something that is living off of them (parasites).

One last bit... Obeying the laws and customs sounds nice, but in reality there are customs which would seem very odd to the traveler. The people at immigration should realize that when opening up a country to foreigners that there will always be problems and adherence to the letter of the law cannot be good. A more flexible approach would be fair and wise. When they thought the guys passport was a dud, they could have explained what was going on and their procedures before his plane was taking off. People get upset when they do not know what is going on. Immigration should have explained their steps and why they were doing them. Easy, simple and it helps people to relax/remain calm.

My little story...

Once in the states, while downtown, a motorcycle cop asked me to stop. Rather than being gruff... he stated plainly that there was a report of someone who looked like me and wanted me to listen to the bulletin... I said sure as the person was not me. Anyway, the cop could have bundled me up and took me to the station, but he was very polite and explained the situation. No problem, no stress, very simple. The key point was that he let me know what was going on and I had no reason to worry.

Anyway, have a good day!

Essentially immigration was being petty... it was 2+ weeks for being pissed off that a real passport was mistaken for a fake one and missing his plane... and that is what I call a travesty.

I do not believe that tourists are not guests in the usual sense of the word, in Thailand. People are allowed to enter the country, spend money, not complain about anything and leave. Tell me how does that equate to a guest... It seems more like tourists are hosts... as in hosts to to something that is living off of them (parasites).

Good reply to my 'travesty' query...

I guess my own personal view about 'guest' is because I have worked & lived in a number of countries over my life time. I rarely visit a country as a tourist, so I guess I have a different perspective from others.... :)

seconded!

Skipping the whole "guest" "tourist" argument, (and I hope I'm "keeping up") I believe this whole episode is a mistake by all parties involved.

First, before anything occurred why did the authorities not confirm the passport was phony before hassling this guy?

Secondly, why did the individual get abusive, when "he thought" the authorities were laughing at him. (Who cares anyway, why was this guy so offended?)

Lastly, complete over the top reaction by the authorities, throwing this guy in the slammer. I'm back to point #1, once the passport was validated they should have let him travel and just get on his way. IF the passport was proved a fake, then yes, should have been detained.

Everyone involved just got too emotional, all logic went out the window when that occurred.

I think Andrew Drummond's report clears up what what said to whom when he advises:

4. The word ‘f*cking’ is offensive and is well known by the Thais. Normal people find this word offensive, even when used purely to emphasis a point, even where I come from. Do not use it in conjunction with the term ‘b*tch’ to describe a female immigration officer, or ‘country’ to describe ‘Thailand’. You could be charged in your home country if you said the same. ...

I think Andrew Drummond's report clears up what what said to whom when he advises:

4. The word ‘f*cking’ is offensive and is well known by the Thais. Normal people find this word offensive, even when used purely to emphasis a point, even where I come from. Do not use it in conjunction with the term ‘b*tch’ to describe a female immigration officer, or ‘country’ to describe ‘Thailand’. You could be charged in your home country if you said the same. ...

On what do you base this. THe following aricle would tend to prove the opposite.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/article/8872.htm

On what do you base this. THe following aricle would tend to prove the opposite.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/article/8872.htm

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/04/29/...-11-the-sequel/

• 2 weeks later...

Burrowes misses flight!

PHUKET CITY: It seems British tourist Simon Burrowes’s troubles in Thailand will never end. His flight out of Phuket left at 3pm today, but, in a situation that is all too familiar to Burrowes, he was not on it.

Immigration officials there told him they wanted to make some “additional inquiries” before permitting him to board the plane.

A police officer accompanying Mr Burrowes decided that Mr Burrowes would have to go to the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket City – and miss the flight that had been paid for by an anonymous Thai benefactor.

This time, it seems, he kept his cool.

“It's not that much of a surprise, really,” he told the Gazette, explaining that after all he had been through, he was fully prepared for a hitch.

“It’s nothing. It really is nothing,” he said, sounding resigned.

Accompanied by the police officer and a Thai national who has been helping Mr Burrowes since he was released from prison, at the time of writing the luckless muay thai fighter was in a car heading for Immigration in Phuket City.

Friends of Mr Burrowes are attempting to secure him a place on another flight later today.

– Dan Waites

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 15/05/09

Friday, May 15, 2009

Burrowes update: more jail time possible!

PHUKET CITY: Simon Burrowes may have to spend a night in a cell at Phuket City Immigration Office while his case is processed, the Gazette has learned.

An officer at immigration said Mr Burrowes should be able to leave the country tomorrow after "some paper work" is completed.

This might mean he will have to spend a night in jail, the officer said.

Thai jails are not unfamiliar to Mr Burrowes, who spent three weeks in Phuket Provincial Prison after losing his temper with an Immigration officer at Phuket International Airport.

Mr Burrowes was due to fly out of Phuket today at 3pm after receiving a one-way ticket home to the UK, paid for by an anonymous Thai benefactor.

When he reached Phuket Airport to catch the flight, he was told that some unspecified "additional inquiries" would need to be made.

In what might have felt like a case of deja vu to the muay thai pugilist, the flight left without him.

He was driven to Phuket City Immigration Office, where he remains.

A foreign gentleman is understood to be attempting to secure Mr Burrowes's release today.

For our previous report, click here.

Immigration officials would not permit a Gazette reporter to interview him and the officer in charge of the case at Immigration was reportedly "not available for comment".

Martin Carpenter, Honorary British Consul in Phuket, said he was aware of the situation.

"We will provide Mr Burrowes with any assistance that we can to make sure he can get back to the UK," he said.

"The Immigration department are probably only following procedures," he said. "I don't even know if the Immigration department knew if Mr Burrowes was actually leaving this afternoon."

The consulate had not received a court report following the Burrowes case and did not know his exact immigration status, he said.

"It is up to the individual and their legal council to understand exactly what his immigration status is," he added.

The Gazette has been unable to confirm whether the latest detention is related to unpaid overstay fines.

Mr Burrowes earlier told the Gazette that he thought the public prosecutor in his case had managed to get his 20,000 baht in overstay fines waived.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-15

– Dan Waites and Gazette reporters

Immigration officials would not permit a Gazette reporter to interview him and the officer in charge of the case at Immigration was reportedly "not available for comment".

Sure, they just want to show their power for the last time... What a pathetic idiots! Just when you think it could not get any worse. They really musty have small penises (but still bigger than their brains). Feel sorry for this guy. And the good people in Phuket who will undoubtedly suffer from this in the long run as less and less tourists are coming!

Sure, they just want to show their power for the last time... What a pathetic idiots! Just when you think it could not get any worse. They really musty have small penises (but still bigger than their brains). Feel sorry for this guy. And the good people in Phuket who will undoubtedly suffer from this in the long run as less and less tourists are coming!

I sincerely hope that this sad story will get the most prominence in the UK (and international) press that it can get. What a sad indictment of the Thai officialdom, even though those of us who live here are accustomed to it. From recollection (and I don't want to read through all the threads again, so forgive me if I'm wrong), but the whole basis of his altercation at the airport when originally scheduled to depart, was through the female immigration officer not being totally believing that he (a black man) had a UK passport?

Sad, sad, story. Only the lack of 'on the ground' support from the UK Embassy (maybe I'm wrong, perhaps they were there), is even sadder. Imagine how this story is going to play amongst the holiday planning public in the UK.

I can understand all this saga as far as it concerns a visitor - in that it eventually leads to a small fine and him getting kicked out the country whatever the circumstances.

Where I find this more difficult to understand is in the case of a friend of mine - he was accused of being rude to an employee of an establishment (along the lines of telling her to 'fuc_k off'). Now he denies it and she has no witnesses but the judge advises him to plead guilty to settle the matter (he could have settled the matter at the cop house for Bt100k but didnt wish to as he felt he wasnt guilty).

Anyways he pleads guilty on this advice (partly due to his wife been explained the merits of the plea) and is charged a Bt1000 fine. Now this is all well and good - everything settled etc.. But when he next leaves the country, in which he works, has a GF and children, he is told that he can never ever return.

Now I will readily admit that I know this guy well enough that he might have said '<deleted> off' to the girl in question (although he denies it) but I still dont get the idea that if he did, his life, his career, his GF and kids life should be ruined as a result of it.

To an extent I can see why a country should be allowed to set the bar pretty high to allow someone in - I would not say such things to someone anyway. But considering the scum that are allowed to visit and stay here, Thailand is in no position to do so.

I agree totally. When this country considers where it can improve it's image to attract more visitors/tourists, it could benefit from doing a review of it's own receiving/departing facilities (i.e. immigration). Let's face it, all visitors impressions start and end here, and whilst we all know and understand the hightened levels of security these days, surely there has to be suitable training for the Immigration personnel to deal with what are fairly common issues/concerns in any country?

Homeward bound: Simon Burrowes finally gets off Phuket

PHUKET: After spending a his final night in Phuket under the observation of Phuket City Immigration officers, British national Simon Burrowes finally left Phuket at 5.50pm yesterday aboard a Silk Air flight destined for Singapore, where he was scheduled to catch a connecting flight to the UK.

Asked why Mr Burrowes had to spend his final night on the island under the supervision of immigration officers despite completion of his court case and payment of a 500-baht fine for verbally abusing an Airport Immigration officer in January – when he originally planned to go home – an immigration officer told the Gazette that as Mr Burrowes had no money to pay for accommodation, they had to make sure there were no more problems.

Before coming to Thailand, Mr Burrowes was living in rented accommodation in Wembley, North-West London. He planned to return to his job and home after three months in Phuket.

Due to his extended stay in Thailand, he now faces bleak prospects back home, where he no longer has a job or housing.

Mr Burrowes said that he had “learned a lot” from his experience in the Land of Smiles, but had no plans to ever return here.

Mr Burrowes’s troubles in Phuket began in January, when he was held up at Airport Immigration by officers who suspected his passport may not have been genuine.

The suspicion was initially aroused because Mr Burrowes appeared to be shirtless in the photo on the passport, which was in fact legitimately issued.

As officers tried to verify the passport, Mr Burrowes realized his non-refundable flight would take to the skies without him.

He then became angry and abusive toward the female immigration officer holding his passport.

After pointing a finger at the officer’s face and shouting, “Give me back my [expletive deleted] passport you [expletive deleted] bitch,” Mr Burrowes snatched the passport back from the officer and walked away from the counter.

That move turned an already bad situation into a complete nightmare.

He was arrested and spent three weeks in Phuket Provincial Prison before being bailed and ordered to appear in court on verbal abuse charges. Mr Burrowes initially planned to fight the charges, but pleaded guilty on the day. He was fined 500 baht and released.

Penniless, Mr Burrowes was finally bought an air ticket home by an anonymous Thai benefactor, but when he tried to catch the flight on Friday afternoon he was again foiled by inadequate paperwork – he didn’t understand that he needed to get a police report and then have his visa renewed at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket City, some 50 kilometers away, before he could be allowed to leave.

Once again, he had to miss a non-refundable flight.

It was apparently “third time lucky” for Mr Burrowes yesterday evening, however. He was last seen by the Gazette successfully passing through Immigration for his flight to Singapore – again paid for by a friend.

– Tiparintron Tanaakarachod and Nick Davies

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 17/5/09

Penniless, Mr Burrowes was finally bought an air ticket home by an anonymous Thai benefactor, but when he tried to catch the flight on Friday afternoon he was again foiled by inadequate paperwork – he didn't understand that he needed to get a police report and then have his visa renewed at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket City, some 50 kilometers away, before he could be allowed to leave.

Considering the typical pro-active attitude of the average Thai, I guess nobody explained to him that he needed these papers..... Or even worse, they did not tell him on purpose.

I wish Mr. Burrowes all the best, esp since he even lost his job and house over this (according to the PG).

Land of Stupidity

Penniless, Mr Burrowes was finally bought an air ticket home by an anonymous Thai benefactor, but when he tried to catch the flight on Friday afternoon he was again foiled by inadequate paperwork – he didn't understand that he needed to get a police report and then have his visa renewed at the Phuket Immigration Office in Phuket City, some 50 kilometers away, before he could be allowed to leave.

Considering the typical pro-active attitude of the average Thai, I guess nobody explained to him that he needed these papers..... Or even worse, they did not tell him on purpose.

I wish Mr. Burrowes all the best, esp since he even lost his job and house over this (according to the PG).

Land of Stupidity

his or theirs?

in his position i would have ensured as far as is possible all eventualities covered - appears he did not consider the expired visa stamp in his passport which even without his recent experiences would be a red flag to check it out