Help - I Cannot Talk The Snake!

Simon255

Try closing your throat and pulling your tongue back (not curling back) before starting the ng sound. The sound should start deep in your throat. Remember, you can easily pronounce the ng sound already(sing!) but that's at the end, and you're used to it. Now you have to get used to saying it the same way at the beginning of the word :o

Good luck. Took me awhile, too :D

Can someone please help me to pronounce the NG sound.  All my snakes still come out as rats.  I'm kind of confused as to where my tongue should be.

In addition to Ajarn's informative reply, here is what my Thai teacher at U. of London SOAS taught us. She said to try to keep your entire tongue stuck to the bottom of your mouth.

Then as Ajarn said, try to form the sound from deep in your throat. My teacher also added to try and "speak" the sound through your nose, almost as if you are grunting it out.

All it takes is a little bit of practice with these simple techniques and you will have it down pat.

Cheers!

Good info.

Ok, my tongue is back in my throat -- what do I do next to differentiate between a rat and a snake?

:D:D:D

Make a sign of a cobra attacking you with your hands. :o

Works every time for me. :D

Yours as always :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. and make a ssssssssssssss noise at the same time. :D

Edited by Kan Win

Good info.

Ok, my tongue is back in my throat -- what do I do next to differentiate between a rat and a snake?

Don't touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth or back of your top front teeth for the 'n' sound. Keep it uncurled... :o

I like Thetyim's idea. Sounds like fun....

And Spee hit another nail on the head, I think..."try and "speak" the sound through your nose".

That's exactly how it feels to me, too :D

Had a think about this one while I was watching the TV last night. I was watching a program with Northerners in it and noticed that they tend to pronounce the word 'wrong' with an exagerrated 'ng' at the end. You could give that a go. Also, the word for work งาน 'ngaan' may be an easier word to master the 'ng' sound (because of the vowel) before you progress to งู 'nguu'.

Finally don't forget your tones, snake is normal tone and rat/mouse is a rising tone.

Good info.

For the rat, the tongue starts out on the top of the mouth and then moves when the vowels are spoken.

For the snake, the tongue starts out on the bottom of the mouth and stays stuck there for the entire word.

ngai mahk mahk !! :o

Can someone please help me to pronounce the NG sound.  All my snakes still come out as rats.  I'm kind of confused as to where my tongue should be.

I would also like to suggest B.P.-Becker's book/Cd combo entitled "Improving Your Thai Pronouciation."

Among other things, she provides some silly Thai tongue-twisters. For example on page 29, there is:

English: The snake at the mouse until the snake was confused.

Thai: /m/nguu /m/gin /r/nuu /m/jon /m/nguu /m/ngong-nguai

This is one of the most valuable book/CD combo's in my Thai language learning collection. You can buy it online from any of the major players.