Irishman Faces Death Penalty For Drugs Arrest

sriracha john

Drugs bust man facing execution

A Belfast man could be facing a death sentence in Thailand after being arrested and accused of dealing in a cocktail of drugs in a beach resort.

Thomas McAuley, 48, was allegedly caught in a police sting operation in the Thai resort of Pattaya, 100 miles east of Bangkok this week. Thai police say he was dealing in crystal ice, methamphetamines, known locally as ‘yaa baa’ — the mad drug — and also opium and cannabis.

McAuley, born in Belfast but an Irish passport holder, is accused by police of selling drugs to teenagers in the resort city.

During a press conference, police Colonel Somnut Jutkate said: “He dealt the drugs from his Toyota Fortuna (a sports utility vehicle). After receiving information we put him under surveillance.”

He said Thai police had used an informant to buy a quantity of drugs valued at 6,000 Thai baht (approximately £115).

Police said when he was arrested McAuley had 109 grams of crystal ice in his possession, in two packets.

They said he was also in possession of seven tabs of methamphetamine, 11.4 grams of cannabis, and 12 grams of opium as well as a set of scales and 60 bags.

Police said he also had on him 52,000 Thai baht (£1,107).

“He is a major drugs dealer in Pattaya,” said Police Colonel Jutkate.

McAuley has now been charged with trafficking in Class one and two drugs. The charge of trafficking in Class one drugs carried the death sentence in Thailand, although this is often commuted to life imprisonment for westerners.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as ‘The Big Tiger’.

People convicted on drugs charges cannot apply for parole or pardons. However, he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence through a prisoner repatriation treaty.

- The Belfast Telegraph / 2009-04-29

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh well, if he did the crime, i hope he's prepared to do the time, anyone stupid enough to do drugs in a land with very draconian drug laws deserves what he's got!!!!!!!! i will look forward to the book he is surely going to write in the future!!!!! :)

He's a bit old to be on the front line of selling drugs, it would seem. It's also just too noticable for a foreigner to be selling drugs (at least in any quantity) and I assume he was selling to Thai youth. I am sure that some young kid who got busted is being set free as we speak for his assistance.

lol, i hardly think you can be considered a "major drug deal" when your 48 and still dealing out of you car to teenagers (watch out cartels, here comes Thomas McAuley). With his fat roll of 52,000 baht.

And where the heck are they getting their currency conversions? Is the GBP really that sh*t now?

lol, i hardly think you can be considered a "major drug deal" when your 48 and still dealing out of you car to teenagers (watch out cartels, here comes Thomas McAuley). With his fat roll of 52,000 baht.

And where the heck are they getting their currency conversions? Is the GBP really that sh*t now?

thaivisa's baht converter lists 52,000 Baht as £999.75

the BBC did a 1 hour program on Bang Kwang Prison, it was on YouTube but not anymore...;-(

I've watched that. Terrifying and frightening!

Looked ok to me. Pretty relaxed in fact, apart from the cramped sleeping rooms (if you didn't have money to pay for a bigger room).

McAuley has now been charged with trafficking in Class one and two drugs. The charge of trafficking in Class one drugs carried the death sentence in Thailand, although this is often commuted to life imprisonment for westerners.

If convicted, McAuley will serve his sentence in Bang Kwang Prison, Bangkok, known as ‘The Big Tiger’.

People convicted on drugs charges cannot apply for parole or pardons. However, he could be deported after serving one third of his sentence through a prisoner repatriation treaty.

How do you figure one third of a death sentence or a life imprisonment?

I still don´t get it...how the hel_l can he, as a farang, sell drugs to thais , especially to undercover police officers?

I stayed in thailand several times and i smell thai police men 200 meters against the wind.

And driving around in pattaya with 108 gramm ice and a digital weight and hundered plastic bags his car LOL

Not sure, but perhaps it is done thusly for a life imprisonment...

Life expectancy for males in Thailand is 69 years (W.H.O. statistics)

69 x 0.33 (1/3) = 22.77 (we'll be generous and round it down), so 1/3 of a life sentence is 22 years in prison.

As for 1/3 of a death sentence, the weight of both legs is roughly equivalent to 1/3 of total body weight... so perhaps they ship the legs of the cadaver back to the home country.

oh well, if he did the crime, i hope he's prepared to do the time, anyone stupid enough to do drugs in a land with very draconian drug laws deserves what he's got!!!!!!!! i will look forward to the book he is surely going to write in the future!!!!! :)

It will at least take another 20 years before he can publish the book! Just finish reading " Send Them To hel_l" by Sebastian Williams. but he was of course innocent!

Poor stupid b......!

oh well, if he did the crime, i hope he's prepared to do the time, anyone stupid enough to do drugs in a land with very draconian drug laws deserves what he's got!!!!!!!! i will look forward to the book he is surely going to write in the future!!!!! :D

It will at least take another 20 years before he can publish the book! Just finish reading " Send Them To hel_l" by Sebastian Williams. but he was of course innocent!

Poor stupid b......!

really, how so??????

assume you are talking about alan john davies - his apparent experience of british consular staff's 'assistance' might show simon burrowes he got off lightly :)

Edited by thaiwanderer

the BBC did a 1 hour program on Bang Kwang Prison, it was on YouTube but not anymore...;-(

I've watched that. Terrifying and frightening!

Looked ok to me. Pretty relaxed in fact, apart from the cramped sleeping rooms (if you didn't have money to pay for a bigger room).

If you got the chance to go there with someone during visiting hours I trust you will change your opinion within seconds...

Do you know how that prison is called in Thai? Big Tiger. The Tiger will eat all!

Read the book from an Australian guy who spent 16 years in this h_ell and survived

trust his name was Warren Fellows: The damage done.

W. Fellows admitted in that book he was indeed guilty!

Edited by webfact

hope for him he do his time in bangkwang prison , that place is pretty relaxed for a thai prison compared to others

You mix that with Lard Yao. Bangkwang is considered to be the worst prison in Thailand! Its the "Big Tiger" and guess its on the list of the worlds 10 worst prisons.

They will send you there if your sentence is 20y++.

a remark to those who might want voice a different opinion about prison conditions in Bangkok.

I was working a few years as a volunteer social worker in both prisons - Lard Yao and Bangkwan and IDC too.

got some good stories to tell....

Edited by webfact

He's a bit old to be on the front line of selling drugs, it would seem. It's also just too noticable for a foreigner to be selling drugs (at least in any quantity) and I assume he was selling to Thai youth. I am sure that some young kid who got busted is being set free as we speak for his assistance.

It is very obvious you dont know what you are talking about with due respect.

IT WOULD SEEM

I ASSUME

YOUNG KID ASSISTING

Foreigner selling drugs thats a bit old

Do you get out much or what??????

you are so niave mate.

Have you been to Pattaya

another one very niave.Do you think he would go out on his motorbike then.Where does it say he is only dealing with teenagers.There could be some squealing going on soon and maybe some more farangs implicated,or maybei am niave????

do you know what commuted means