Football In Chiang Rai: Chiangrai United FC

Nigbon

anyone been to a match yet this season? Four Rounds in Chiang Rai are top of the table with four wins, knowing Thai supporters they will probably now start pulling decent crowds. This is the table from www.thaileaguefootball.com

1. Chaing Rai 12

2. Petchabun 9

3. Chaing Mai United 7

4. Phitsanolouk 6

5. Phichit 6

6. Chainat 6

7. Kamphaeng Phet 4

8. Uttradit 3

9 Sukhothai 3

10. Tak 1

11. Prea 1

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where's their home ground?

Mea Faa Luang University stadium (thats a shot at translating it from Thai) their next home match is this Saturday against Uttradit.

If they manage to gain promotion to Div 1 next year there will be one hel_l of alot of travel for them to do.

anyone been to a match yet this season? Four Rounds in Chiang Rai are top of the table with four wins, knowing Thai supporters they will probably now start pulling decent crowds.

Yes Nigbon, last home match about 800 supporters cheered the team.

Should be an easy cake this Saturday (4 o'clock at the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University) against Uttaradit.

Uttaradit won at home of Chainat with 4 - 3, but Chiangrai United FC beat Chainat in an away game, 2 - 5 !

Last week Chiangmai lost at home against Chiangrai, 0 - 3.

So far Chiang Rai goalkeeper Pansa Meesatham (25 games in the national team) was only passed 3 times.

The players of Chiang Rai United made 14 goals in the four matches the team has played so far.

The future is ours!

Limbo :)

post-6305-1241177017_thumb.jpg post-6305-1241176843_thumb.jpg

Seems you got some company, the Chiang Rai supporters are getting their supporter group organised -http://www.thailandsusu.com/webboard/index.php?topic=49242.0

They are asking for everyone to meet at the stadium at 4.30pm and say that the match starts at 6pm. I am not sure what they pan to do for an hour and half, but it's encouraging to see them get organised.

Edited by Nigbon

quote name='BenGuesthouse' date='2009-05-02 21:29:56' post='2707772']

and today we won 3-0 against Uttaradit

Yes Ben,

A couple of weeks ago both teams played 'a friendly' against each other that still in a draw.

So not all cards were on the table at the beginning of the match.

The first 33 minutes were really frightening. The forwards didn't find each other and the pressure was high. Both Uttaradit and Chiang Rai were playing rather defensive. Good old goaly Meesatham was as steady as a rock, so there was no reason for panic.

The battle was fought on the mid-field.

Not less than three of the regular forwards were injured and just as many reserves got a chance to show that they were up to their task.

After the first goal (not really a beauty, after some frumbling in the six yard area finally the ball ended up in the net) they clearly relaxed and we saw more and more daring and nice 'floating' combinations, especially on the right wing.

The second half was certainly for Chiang Rai. The two goals (60 and 80 minutes in the game) were

the result of a clear dominance on the mid-field and the creativity of the strikers.

Especially the third goal was a beauty, resulting from a straightforward, as elegant as effective, attack.

It could have been worse for Uttaradit if their goalkeeper hadn't done an excellent rescue in the 70th minute.

The two yellow cards for Uttaradit which they harvested in the second half were a sign that they got more and more

under pressure. In general it was a very sportive game from both sides.

So, 15 points out of 5 games. Next week an away game in Pitsanoluk. The pressure on the players will soon be unbearable.

Certain comparisions with the adventures of Hoffenheim, now 'Bundesliga', can certainly be made.

All will be after the hot favourite!

The 'Orange Legion' (the 'farang' supportersclub Chiang Rai United FC) might get a group together to accompagny the team.

Rico's will be the supporters home. More information in a couple of days. Consider to join!

PS: The choice of orange as the official colour for the team is based on the admiration for Dutch football of the president of

Chiang Rai United FC. In the mean time orange became also the official colour of the town Chiang Rai (in stead of purple),

but this is not connected.

Pictures taken yesterday:

post-6305-1241335522_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1241334895_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1241335048_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1241335538_thumb.jpg

good to hear. I didn't even know there were first and second divisions.

You gave me a great idea for doing something fun with my Akha stepson - and see whether some of his buddies can come along to cheer their home town team.

Go Chiang Rai!

is anyone making it next Saturday for the away trip to Phitsanoluk? I will probably be there and up for a beer before the game if anyone is in.

The team is leaving Chiang Rai at about 11 o'clock this morning in mini vans. They will have a good night rest in Pit'lok and do some light physical training in the morning. Tomorrow night, Saturday 18.00 at the Pitsanulok Stadium, hopefully their 'jet-lag' is finished.

After coming back to Chiang Rai they will have one week holiday and then the training starts again for the away game against Phrae.

The travel distances are a handicap for the most northern club of the (semi-) professional football in Thailand, not only in physical but also in financial sense.

It is only compensated by a certain advantage in the home games.

The clubs most far away are Chainat (610 km) and Petchabun (580 km).

Next season however, if, if, if, then it will get much worse.

Pit'lok has now 6 points out of 4 games. Chiang Rai 15 out of 5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: The 'Orange Legion' , the (mainly) foreigner supporters club of Chiangrai United FC will make its first and official presentation at the occasion of the home game against Petchabun. As Petchabun is in second position with 12 points out of 5 games, it will be the decisive game for the firdt half of the competition. Mark the date: 31 May!

is anyone making it next Saturday for the away trip to Phitsanoluk? I will probably be there and up for a beer before the game if anyone is in.

You're going alone? It seems the CR fanclub is going to cheer as well. If you like you can join them might cost some what cheaper ride to Phitsanulok.

http://forums.212cafe.com/cufc/board-1/topic-340.html (Thai lauguage though).

CR fanclub also will have a match with fanclub from Phitsanulok. Nice event shall i say by the fans.

The team is leaving Chiang Rai at about 11 o'clock this morning in mini vans. They will have a good night rest in Pit'lok and do some light physical training in the morning. Tomorrow night, Saturday 18.00 at the Pitsanulok Stadium, hopefully their 'jet-lag' is finished.

After coming back to Chiang Rai they will have one week holiday and then the training starts again for the away game against Phrae.

The travel distances are a handicap for the most northern club of the (semi-) professional football in Thailand, not only in physical but also in financial sense.

It is only compensated by a certain advantage in the home games.

The clubs most far away are Chainat (610 km) and Petchabun (580 km).

Next season however, if, if, if, then it will get much worse.

Pit'lok has now 6 points out of 4 games. Chiang Rai 15 out of 5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: The 'Orange Legion' , the (mainly) foreigner supporters club of Chiangrai United FC will make its first and official presentation at the occasion of the home game against Petchabun. As Petchabun is in second position with 12 points out of 5 games, it will be the decisive game for the firdt half of the competition. Mark the date: 31 May!

So tomorrow none of the Orange Legion going to cheer them in Phitsanulok? The Oragne Legion is more a home base fans?

Surely up coming moths will be tough for them. Its not far to get in Div.1 and i hope they will make it!

Go CR United :D

CR fanclub also will have a match with fanclub from Phitsanulok. Nice event shall i say by the fans.

The opposite of hooliganism! "Football is war", the very succesfull coach of the Dutch National Orange team Rinus Michels once said.

Now we see that he wasn't right. A Great Idea!

So tomorrow none of the Orange Legion going to cheer them in Phitsanulok?

I am convinced that it makes their hearts bleed, that they can't be there physically.

I feel assured of the fact that in their spirits they will be there !

The Oragne Legion is more a home base fans?

So far 'the legion' consists of a very small, but naturally very select group of individuals and a much bigger group of those who are eagerly waiting to join the ranks.

I also think that when the children are back to school again, the fathers will have more opportunity to do this kind of silly things.

Dear Konjianghai, if you have ideas and are willing to share them, please join the club.

They need people like you!

Surely up coming moths will be tough for them. Its not far to get in Div.1 and i hope they will make it!

Go CR United :)

Edited by Limbo

The opposite of hooliganism! "Football is war", the very succesfull coach of the Dutch National Orange team Rinus Michels once said.

Now we see that he wasn't right. A Great Idea!

So tomorrow none of the Orange Legion going to cheer them in Phitsanulok?

I am convinced that it makes their hearts bleed, that they can't be there physically.

I feel assured of the fact that in their spirits they will be there !

The Orange Legion is more a home base fans?

So far 'the legion' consists of a very small, but naturally very select group of individuals and a much bigger group of those who are eagerly waiting to join the ranks.

I also think that when the children are back to school again, the fathers will have more opportunity to do this kind of silly things.

Dear Konjianghai, if you have ideas and are willing to share them, please join the club.

They need people like you!

Go CR United :)

I would want to join but i dont live Thailand. I can only taste cyber victory :D

However i feel local supporters are small, maybe they should promote the team more. CR played so well it just need some more fans to boost the spirit up.

Today CR beat Phit'lok 3-0! Fabulous!

Fanclub match CR lost 3-1 :D Maybe next time better luck :D

Edited by konjianghai

However i feel local supporters are small, maybe they should promote the team more. CR played so well it just need some more fans to boost the spirit up.

Thanks Konjianghai! That was a quick one! :D

Great, but it is almost a thriller: 18 points out of 6 games and 20 goals against 3 !!! It is a remarcable entry for a new team, that's for sure.

The players deserve their break now. They must feel great. Their next match is away against Phrae: Sunday May 24 at 17.00 at Phrae Stadium.

Concerning the fanclubs:

The "Orange Power" seems to be doing fine. They bring their drums, horns and flags and also by their enthusiastic singing they contribute very positively to a good atmosphere.

I can hardly imagine that they wouldn't be there. They made themselves already indispensable; they are the flying flag on the ship, a fact they literally emboby by waving their enormeous orange flags.

A fan club of a club that never lost though is necessarily still waiting for its 'baptism of fire'. May it be postponed for a while.

The "Orange Club" of the foreigners has so far only shown potential, so we still have to wait untill it reaches the stage of concrete action.

It will take a couple of weeks, so the first coming home match against Petchabun (May 31) might show itself to be the touchstone.

Great, but it is almost a thriller: 18 points out of 6 games and 20 goals against 3 !!! It is a remarcable entry for a new team, that's for sure.

The players deserve their break now. They must feel great. Their next match is away against Phrae: Sunday May 24 at 17.00 at Phrae Stadium.

Concerning the fanclubs:

The "Orange Power" seems to be doing fine. They bring their drums, horns and flags and also by their enthusiastic singing they contribute very positively to a good atmosphere.

I can hardly imagine that they wouldn't be there. They made themselves already indispensable; they are the flying flag on the ship, a fact they literally emboby by waving their enormeous orange flags.

A fan club of a club that never lost though is necessarily still waiting for its 'baptism of fire'. May it be postponed for a while.

The "Orange Club" of the foreigners has so far only shown potential, so we still have to wait untill it reaches the stage of concrete action.

It will take a couple of weeks, so the first coming home match against Petchabun (May 31) might show itself to be the touchstone.

So far have not lost any match they are very impressive being recently formed provincial team the last 2-3 months.

About the fans i'm sure they have alot right now but not much can make it support the team at Phit'lok. Some BKK fans (CR native working in BKK)

also showed up but not much due lack of time or having to work.

The up coming match The Orange Power going to spread fliers around town to attract more supporters. Good initiative of them.

There's never enough fans for the team :D

Dont miss to be there on the big day The Orange Legion! Bring kids along for that matter :D

CR United fanclub at Phit'lok, saturday match.

cufc-1241932927-118-172-76-124.jpg

cufc-1241933197-118-172-76-124.jpg

cufc-1241933437-118-172-76-124.jpg

Edited by konjianghai

So far have not lost any match they are very impressive being recently formed provincial team the last 2-3 months.

About the fans i'm sure they have alot right now but not much can make it support the team at Phit'lok. Some BKK fans (CR native working in BKK) also showed up but not much due lack of time or having to work.

The up coming match The Orange Power going to spread fliers around town to attract more supporters. Good initiative of them.

Dont miss to be there on the big day The Orange Legion! Bring kids along for that matter :D

Great pictures Konjianghai !

It was an exciting match, even if the final score might suggest that is was an 'easy cake'. Though the first ball was netted in the fifth minute the players of Pit'lok were certainly not disencouraged by it. On the contrary one might say.

They really showed what they are worth and this in a ver impressive way.

A couple of times the supporters of Chiang Rai United FC were holding their breath while their Pit'lokian colleagues went 'on air' roaring their throats! Accoustically the first half Pit'lok dominated.

It took fifteen minutes into the second half before a miraculous second goal gave them the feeling of relief they waited so many anxious minutes for. Twenty minutes later the final verdict was executed: 0 - 3 !

Though it was still a long trip by bus (the team arrived at 4 o'clock in the morning in Chiang Rai), the mood was great!

The best thing that could happen for Phrae coming Sunday is that the players of Chiang Rai are entering the pitch convinced of their superiority if not even invincibility.

That's, as far as I see it, the only threat this time (Phrae had only 1 point after four games. They played last weekend against Chainat, but I don't know the result).

So coming Sunday, May 24 at the stadium of Phrae (5 o'clock afternoon) the players of Phrae have the extremely difficult, if not impossible and certainly unrewarding task to try to stop the unstoppable victory march of Chiang Rai United FC.

We admire their courage and bravery, but at the same time we feel a little bit sorry for them. We wouldn't like to be in their shoes, would we?

But, my dear friends, keep concentrated, because, as Johan Cruijff, one of the greatest ever, once noticed: "the ball is round, it can roll in any direction!"

Thanks Albert Kodjo, for the information about the match in Pit'lok.

Albert Kodjo, once playing in Togo in the same team as Arsenal player Emmanuel Adebayor, is the physical coach of the Chiang Rai team.

On the picture we see him together with assistent coach TS.

post-6305-1242285316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning the fanclubs:

About the fans i'm sure they have alot right now but not much can make it support the team at Phit'lok. Some BKK fans (CR native working in BKK)

also showed up but not much due lack of time or having to work.

cufc-1241932927-118-172-76-124.jpg

cufc-1241933197-118-172-76-124.jpg

cufc-1241933437-118-172-76-124.jpg

I was wondering who he was , wow~ used to play in the same team with Adebayor

Anybody going to Phrae Tomorrow ?

Tonight Phrae welcomed Chiang Rai United for a match of football,

but it turned out to be more like a football lesson.

How else could we call it, as Chiang Rai won with 6 - 0 (six to nill, zero, nothing!).

Our sympathy goes to the players and fans of Phrae!

Sorry lads, but this is the game.

After 7 matches Chiang Rai has gathered 21 points now and made 26 goals against 3.

Coming Sunday May 31 at the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University,

about 15 kilometers north of Chiang Rai town at the 'super-highway'

we will meet the most serious contender for the championship in our league,

(the future runner-up?) Petchabun. At 6 o'clock!

This might be the most important, most interesting and most exciting match of the first leg.

The message is: Witness it! 55555

Coming Sunday May 31 at the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University,

about 15 kilometers north of Chiang Rai town at the 'super-highway'

we will meet the most serious contender for the championship in our league,

(the future runner-up?) Petchabun. At 6 o'clock!

This might be the most important, most interesting and most exciting match of the first leg.

The message is: Witness it! 55555

Limbo :D

Limbo, just a very short question:

Do they sell refreshing drinks there or shall we bring our own?

:):D:D

Do they sell refreshing drinks there or shall we bring our own?

Welcome to the team!

Last home game against Uttaradit the Orange Power Supporters group had some boxes with beer Chang

and a big plastic box with aluminium cans with different kinds of contents, alltogether embedded in ice.

I didn't see any selling points for refreshing liquids. Everything is still new, the stadium itself is still very basic,

and the real semi-professional team with real coaches playing in a real series is new, no wonder even real

supporters behaviour has to be learnt. Though I prefer the peaceful kind, as we have now!

Don't forget: since the historical moment that professional football arrived in Chiang Rai only two (2!) home

matches have been played.

A quick calculation learns us that the match against Petchabun is going to be the third ever.

I think the official policy of the university is not to sell alcoholic beverages and cigarettes on campus.

At the superhighway 'at the foot' of the university there are about twenty if not more shops that sell these

satanic products, among which a big 7/eleven and a Tesco-Lotus.

To be sure: bring some!

I don't feel real comfortable about the match against Petchabun coming Sunday.

Yesterday against Phrae the first half was hunderd procent Chiang Rai.

The first half was played at the Phrae side of the field. Permanent pressure forced Phrae to

put everybody in the defence. Chiang Rai made 5 goals in the first 45 minutes.

The second half gave a total different picture. Three forwards and a midfielder were kept aside

to save their forces for the match against Petchabun.

The reserves went in and seemed not really to know what to do. The speed went out of the game, the

beautiful position play of the first half was gone. Out of a penalty Chiang Rai scored the sixth goal, but if

Phrae hadn't be so confused by the space they suddenly were given they would have found the net as well.

Next match might turn out to be a thriller.

Limbo :D

sounds like fun. I'm going to shoot for being there, with g.f. and her 6 yr old son.

Maybe get some others to join.

Great Brahmburgers!

The first home match again Phichit attracted only two foreigners to the stadium.

One of them was Peter Reid the English coach of the national team of Thailand.

The second home match against Uttaradit was even worse: only one showed up,

who, as I can tell you from my own experience would have felt quite lonely if he

hadn't been in good Thai company.

The third home match will hopefully show another picture.

It's a quite funny experience to see football live. Especially after a goal is made and

you wait in vain for the replay...

See you Sunday!

Summarizing:

New in Chiang Rai: Chiang Rai United FC !

As you might know, Chiang Rai United FC is the name of the first semi-professional football team of our province. The team has the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University as home ground.

They play in the northern section of Division 2 and they are leading.

Ten other teams participate, from Chainat in the south to Chiangmai in the north.

So far they scored 26 against 3 goals in 7 games they won.

But this Sunday May 31 at 6 o'clock evening at the Mae Fah Luang University our team will meet Petchabun, now only three points behind due to a lost game in Chiangmai. This is the match of matches of the first leg of the season (only away to Tak and home against Kampaengpet remains before the break).

The alternative is to be at Rico's at 5 o'clock for transport, see below.

We have a good team, our goalkeeper (Pansa Meehatam) has 25 caps (played for Muang Tong before) and also three forwards and a midfielder have a history in the Super League (most for Bec Tero). Our physical coach, Albert Kodjo, played not so many years ago in Togo in the same team as Emanuel Adebayor (now Arsenal).

We are doing fine, if it weren't for the second half in Pit'lok last week. Five goals in the first period but only one (a penalty) in the second. The coach had taken out our stars to save them for coming Sunday. First time the team showed vulnerability. But OK, Sunday the boys will be at their top!

The president of the club told me that the colour orange was chosen because of the general respect for the Dutch style of playing. A decision I am personally very happy about, but this doesn't matter at all of course ...

The Thai supporters club is called Orange Power and the supporters club of a mix of foreigners and Thai is called: The Orange Club

You will find foreign members of the golf clubs (Santiburi and the Military), of the Hash House Harriers, of the more culturally oriented Friends of Rai Mae Fah Luang, the Wilanda DTCS Photo Group and of course several regulars of Sea-one and Rico's and last but not least the gentlemen of Khieng Doi Fishermen Club.

Many clubs overlap each other concerning membership.

Anyhow: A nice mix of nice foreigners and their nice Thai friends.

We would like you to join.

Even if you will never visit the games, unless on your sofa by vcd maybe, there might be reasons to join.

The club will be founded officially before the match Sunday at 4 o'clock at Rico's, but that's only a formality.

The club will be centered around the activities that the members will initiate.

Some people will have to co-ordinate and others have to be active in PR.

The main objective will be to promote football among youngsters in the vulnerable age between 16 and 20, so we might support the 'All Hilltribe Team' in Maechan and the new football school of Muang Chiang Rai. Transport for the away games, balls, goals, shirts, shoes, English lessons for the interns, whatever you can think about that could contribute to the promotion of football among youngsters.

The school in the village has no ball ?

This is a moment to give us a call !

Those who like the idea and want to help to set it up, please send me a note. Those among you who want to receive the newsletter, please send me your e-mail address by PM.

Yes, bring drums if you like drumming! Or horns if you like blowing horns!

For transport: at Rico's at about 5 o'clock several cars will leave. You'll be brought back as well of course 555!

Rico's you will find opposite the Condotel close to Pratu Chiangmai, the beginning of the old road to Chiangmai.

:D

You will find foreign members of the golf clubs (Santiburi and the Military), of the Hash House Harriers, of the more culturally oriented Friends of Rai Mae Fah Luang

More culturally oriented ! <deleted> is that ???? post-29230-1243659087.gif

In both CRAPS and MGA we are supporting both good Golfing Culture and good Drinking Culture! post-29230-1243659156.gif

HHH are supporting good Running Culture post-29230-1243659679.gif and of course good Drinking Culture! post-29230-1243659762.gif

Maybe you think Football post-29230-1243659320.gif have no culture too?

You and your Friends of Rai Mae Fah Luang think you are better than us ? post-29230-1243659495.gif

Maybe you think Football post-29230-1243659320.gif have no culture too?

You and your Friends of Rai Mae Fah Luang think you are better than us ? post-29230-1243659495.gif

Football is culture in itself, no doubt at all!

The Rai Mae Fah Luang is only supposed to give a representation of culture.

The difference is that football is a living culture, where the Rai Mae Fah Luang, at least under its current management, is a burial ground for culture, a mausoleum.

That's why the RMFL gets so few visitors. Nothing changes there, history is frozen down, where it normally is a museum's task to keep it alive.

The ridiculous entrance fees and double pricing, resp. 200 and 300 Baht are also very effective in keeping potential visitors away.

Compare that with the entrance fee for the stadium: 20 Baht !

No, for real and living culture, on top of it a culture in which you take part, you have to go to a football stadium!

BTW: This you must have red as well :D :

A concrete example: is football art?

In 1916 the first ever national championship football took place in Thailand.

And who, dear Svenivan, won the final?

Yes, yes, yes, you are guessing right:

It was the team of the Department of Performing Arts !

Did they 93 years ago already know what many of us still don't seem to know? That football actually is art?

Coming Sunday (tomorrow) you have the opportunity make your own judgment.

Register it and feel it with all your senses, experience it within the complexity of the hidden corners of your soul, the extreme cacophony of movement, of excitement, the awareness of sharing only collectively existing sentiments next to your own, the vehement dichotomy of wrestling moods within your mind and within the air.

It's all there!

If this isn't art, please tell me what it is!

My point of view, 5555!

PS: The co-ordinator of Wilanda DTCS told me that at the annual meeting its membership unanimously has decided to

support the aims of The Orange Club. Nice!

post-6305-1243665112_thumb.jpg

Chiang Rai Utd - Petchaboon 3-2

We all thought it was going to be a breeze for Chiang Rai until the second half when the rain started. But Chiang Rai Utd had a Taliban trick up their sleeves as you can see in the last picture so they lasted the game. I am sure Limbo will fill you in with the details.

post-24806-1243827864_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827882_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827888_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827896_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827907_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827912_thumb.jpg

post-24806-1243827924_thumb.jpg