Football In Chiang Rai: Chiangrai United FC

Nigbon

Just arrived from Kamphangpeth

the result was 1-1

good night

mad.gif

Dear Brook! Thanks for sharing the result at such an impossible hour after a 500 km nightly ride!

After leaving two points behind in Kamphaeng Phet the trip must even have felt longer ...

My respect for all of you, members of Orange Power!

Okey, this is the first time Chiang Rai United didn't win.

But we still haven't lost.

The result so far is still unique.

I think I compared Chiangrai United earlier already with 1899 Hoffenheim in Germany, a team that starting from

being a village club (5000 inhabitants) step by step, miraculously made its way to the 'Bundesliga'.

Last season they played for the first time in the Bundesliga and they became immediatly autumn champion (first leg champion).

At the end of the season however it was Wolfsburg that was first and became the final champion.

During the last 46 years the autumn champion was 31 times also the final winner in the Bundesliga.

If that same situation would be valid for Div. 2 northern region Chiang Rai United would have a chance of 67 % to win the league.

I don't know how many times the autumn champion has taken home the full pot, but I don't think often, if at all.

So I put Chiangrai United chances still considerable higher than 67 %.

But it shows that also we are vulnerable, like any other footballteam in the world.

Honestly: It will make the next home match even more exciting:

Coming Saturday evening July 11 at the stadium of Chiang Rai for the match against Tak.

Limbo :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Brook! Thanks for sharing the result at such an impossible hour after a 500 km nightly ride!

After leaving two points behind in Kamphaeng Phet the trip must even have felt longer ...

My respect for all of you, members of Orange Power!

Coming Saturday evening July 11 at the stadium of Chiang Rai for the match against Tak.

What I heard is that Chiangrai United scored already after 23 minutes, but that it sadly enough remained their only goal.

CRUTD dominated eighty minutes, only a short period of ten minutes in the second half they lost controle. That was enough for Kamphaeng Phet: After a quarter they scored the equalizer.

Slowly but sure we start to see a pattern: we are strong in the first half and loose sharpness and controle (and thereby many times unnecessary possession of the ball) in the second. So far the danger has always manifested itself in the second half.

It would be interesting to know how many of the 35 goals of CRUTD are scored during the first half and how many of the 7 gaols against in the second. Could the explanation be that simple that the players of the other teams have a better physical condition?

So dear Brook, maybe the smaller field of the Sanam Kila in Chiang Rai will be a disadvantage in the first half as they can't play wide, but an advantage for the second as they don't have to run that much 555!

Are our players too good? Against Kamphaeng Phet home we saw rather immobile forwards in the second half. It seemed as if they at several occasions were waiting to get the ball on the foot instead of making a couple of steps to capture it.

Not enough physical condition can not always be compensated by high technical quality.

I am happy it happened directly after the break: it makes clear that it is too early to lean back already.

Chiang Rai United Go! Go! Go!

Let's hope the best for Saturday!

post-6305-1246948575_thumb.jpg post-6305-1246948410_thumb.jpg

Limbo,

Do we have a kick off time for the home game on the 11th or will it be posted up at Rico's bar ?

Good question Bob! Thanks! Sorry that I didn't find out yet.

I hope Khun Brook of Ben's Guesthouse reads this.

He is our link with 'Orange Power', the Thai supportersclub of Chiang Rai United!

I will inform Rico as soon as I know it.

I think its a good idea to meet at Rico's some hours or so before the match.

I hope to be able to bring some people also, first to Rico and then to the match.

About the Chiang Rai Hills team: the lads got two pair of football shoes each of the main sponsor, one for the Sundays so to say and the other ones for the training. They have to be worn in both. Gonna be a lot of blisters!

The team consists of young northern Thai men of different ethnic origine: eight Akha, six Yao, five Hmong, one Lahu, one Lisu and two Shan.

We hope to get as many as possible of them to the stadium as well coming Saturday.

We want them to be supporters and sportfriends of Chiang Rai United.

----------------------------------------------post-6305-1246972346_thumb.jpg------------------------------------------------------

-post-6305-1247058613_thumb.jpg Coming Saturday evening July 11 at the stadium of Chiang Rai :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chiang Rai United - Tak

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- the match starts at 6 pm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Limbo :)

Pay attention: NOT at the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University, but here in Chiang Rai at the sportsstadium 3km from Mengrai statue.

For car-pooling and a little refreshment before the match, please be at least one hour before at Rico's, the supportershome of the Thai-Foreign Supportersclub "The Orange Club" (opposite corner of the Condotel at Phi-Gate, the next gate after the better known Chiang Mai Gate)

The total score after 12 matches is now 42 - 7. because Chiangrai United won tonight at home of Tak with 7 - 0 ! 34 Points out of 12 games.

8 Games to go and then the after-competition between de five winners of the regions of Division 2 of which only three will go to the first division.

Match report follows.

Good night!

Old Australian football pioneer Mr. Norman witnessed Chiangrai United - Tak and he loved it!

Mr. Norman is now 74 years old. He is from Adelaide (Australia) and he was one of the first persons in Adelaide that started to promote soccer.

In the beginning there was a lot of opposition of the hardcore rugby and 'Aussie rules' fans.

They cut down the goalposts of the first soccer goals of Adelaide, that had been made by a group of teachers and parents, and showed in many other similar 'funny' ways their disapproval of the fact that Norman and some physical education teachers stimulated kids to play football instead of the physically, certainly in the long run, not very healthy earlier mentioned sports.

Norman played more than twentyfive years himself and he is still active in football management in Australia. He told me that since Guus Hiddink managed to get the Australian team on the world football platform a lot of things changed. Australia is now on the brink of becoming a football nation as well.

My respect to Norman and all those Australians who promoted this noble sport on their continent and I want to extend this respect to the Chairman of Chiangrai United for creating this fantastic team that last night even played down the stars from heaven!

Mr. Norman reacted exactly the same as all other foreigners when they see a game of CRUTD: I didn't expect this, they are technically and tactically good and play nice football, pleasant to look at!"

Mr. Norman is the most left foreigner on the picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ post-6305-1247371817_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, away in Petchabun, Chiang Rai United won again: 3 - 1 .

Total score now 45 - 8.

37 Points after 13 games !!!

Next week Sunday here in the Stadium of Chiang Rai again. More information follows.

-post-6305-1247058613_thumb.jpg Coming Sunday evening July 26 at the stadium of Chiang Rai :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chiang Rai United - Phrae

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- the match starts at 6 pm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Limbo :)

Pay attention: NOT at the stadium of the Mae Fah Luang University, but here in Chiang Rai at the sportsstadium 3km from Mengrai statue.

For car-pooling and a little refreshment before the match, please be at least one hour before at Rico's, the supportershome of the Thai-Foreign Supportersclub "The Orange Club" (opposite corner of the Condotel at Phi-Gate, the next gate after the better known Chiang Mai Gate)

Before, in the thread of Don's place, I mentioned the hamburgers of Rico's and because I didn't try them yet I felt absolutely sure about the fact that they couldn't be better than Barry's at the golf club at the old airport.

I tried now the pork with cheese and the schnitzel hamburgers and I must say that I am not that sure anymore.

And, this is something I have to put on your table: the French fries of Rico beat those of Barry. They really kiss the palate! Not even a Belgian could make better ones!

Sorry Barry, we have always been good friends and I really hope that my honesty will not change things.

If I now would have to make a list I would say:

Barry still number one,

Rico extremely close as runner up,

and yes:

The hamburgers of the lovely lady at Uncle John's in third position.

What do YOU think?

It's Sunday again gentlemen. 6 o'clock is the kick off. See you!

By the way: a nice picture of Rico, yes, he was in football before and he still is!

Chiang Rai United, SUSU! SUSU! SUSU!

................................................................ post-6305-1248530049_thumb.jpg

Before, in the thread of Don's place, I mentioned the hamburgers of Rico's and because I didn't try them yet I felt absolutely sure about the fact that they couldn't be better than Barry's at the golf club at the old airport.

I tried now the pork with cheese and the schnitzel hamburgers and I must say that I am not that sure anymore.

And, this is something I have to put on your table: the French fries of Rico beat those of Barry. They really kiss the palate! Not even a Belgian could make better ones!

Sorry Barry, we have always been good friends and I really hope that my honesty will not change things.

Barry still number one,

and yes:

What do YOU think?

It's Sunday again gentlemen. 6 o'clock is the kick off. See you!

By the way: a nice picture of Rico, yes, he was in football before and he still is!

Chiang Rai United, SUSU! SUSU! SUSU!

................................................................ post-6305-1248530049_thumb.jpg

Sorry Limbo, but the Chat House guest house has always been the best hamburgers in town. Nothing fancy, just excellent meat on a good bun with a little salad.

C35B

Edited by chang35baht

Barry still number one,

and yes:

What do YOU think?

Sorry Limbo, but the Chat House guest house has always been the best hamburgers in town. Nothing fancy, just excellent meat on a good bun with a little salad.

C35B

Thanks for the info!

To make your text extra 'on topic' I put in in an appropriate colour!

What a coincidence: You are the second person in three days that tells me how excellent the kitchen of the Chat House is.

I actually don't recall if the hamburgers were specifically mentioned earlier.

I haven't been there for years. I remember that it was a nice garden and it would be difficult to find a more inspirational location than the soi next to the Wat Phra Kaew. And also within a stone's throw from the Overbrook, a place that certainly is not known for the quality of its kitchen.

If in the hospital you can send somebody for a hamburger and ask their telephone number at the same time.

I am sure that they deliver to the other side of the street.

Super tip C35B! This might help many people as the hospital food is really miserbale, sorry to say doctor!

Here in Chiang Rai the football fever gets hot. Last time against Tak the stadium was for more than seventy percent full.

Maybe tonight will be the first 'full house' ever in Chiang Rai.

Yesterday two foreign members of The Orange Power went for a short inspection of the grass.

It was green, perfect of length and thickness and was happily pointing uppwards. The stands were clean and everything looked magnificent.

It's going to be a greast experience again tonight!

The pictures:

1 At Hiyek, Phor Khun or King Mengrai,

2 The Grass Inspectors at work at the Stadium

********************** post-6305-1248580990_thumb.jpg *** post-6305-1248581012_thumb.jpg **********************

Supporters and other readers: The match report!

First half Phrae made a goal after about 30 minutes and as far as I remember it was the first time in the history of Chiang Rai United that they were behind.

It was a very strange experience, though I realise very well that it can be considered absolutely normal that a team happens to be behind.

It happens in every match actually if it doesn't end 0 - 0, 555!

But, of course, as supporters of CRUTD we are spoiled.

The goal of Phrae was the result of almost the only chance they created during the first half. Chiang Rai from the other side had about four good shots on goal, so the 1 - 0 for Phrae was not really reflecting the actual situation in the field.

The goaly of Phrae wasn't really convincing so our team tried a couple of time with hard and long shots, a novelty so far.

The first ten minutes of the second half were scaring. It seemed as if CRUTD had lost the initiative, but 'beng' a real power shot in the right upper corner of the box brought finally the relief.

And after the ball once had smelled the net it got addicted to these softe embracements by it and two other goals followed.

+++++++++++++ Chiang Rai United - Phrae 3 - 1 !

Beautiful football aside from the fact that one of the African players of Phrae couldn't stand to be outdone by our quick, elegant and supplely moving ball magicians and started to become very naughty. He started among other things to play football with his elbows just to mention one of his lesser sins. But at one occasion he almost shovled one of our players into the ambulance and that was far from being funny.

Finally the coach of Phrae took him out.

The stadium was full for I guess 80 percent or more, which means that probably between 2000 and 2500 people attented the game.

The atmosphere was great as usual, the Orange Power acoustically the bow if you want to see the stadium as a violin and the Orange Power girls even more beautiful than ever.

And my dear friends, isn't it fantastic that even sixteen foreigners managed to lift themselves out of their coaches to wittness this beautiful game.

Among which a Lady! Why do I mention this? Yes of course, because she will enter the history books as the first foreign lady ever visiting a game of our team. She is Dutch and because there were so many people walking around dressed in orange she thought that the Dutch national team would play (forget it!).

One of foreigners by the way was an Australian citizen in the process of setting up a foreigners football team in Chiang Rai, the first ever!

So if any of you is still looking for a career in football, then I would recommend to drop by at Rico's and put your name on the list.

*****************************************post-6305-1248672821_thumb.jpg

2nd of August

Friendly match CRUTD vs CRU ( Chiang Rai University )

kick off 16.30

stadium sanam kleela ( to be confirmed )

CRUTD fans club friendly match ( some of CRUTD players will join )

come if you are free

:)

Gentlemen!

Last night, the evening of the 4th of August 2009 football history was written in Maechan, a normally spoken rather sleepy town about 35 kilometers from the northern most point of Thailand:

The Chiang Rai Hills FC had its first training under the professional guidance of Acharn Brad Cutler, who played as a midfielder among others for Sydney City and Singapore Army (he is a FIFA Licensed Coach Cat 3).

It all happened at the sportsfield of Suksasongkroh school.

Chiang Rai Hills FC is the first official club of Thailand that you might call an 'all-hilltribe' team. All players (and of course also the Australian and Togo coaches) belong to the ethnic minorities of Thailand: Their origine is Akha, Yao, Hmong, Lahu and Lisu.

The official presentation of the team will take place within a month.

As a team we are supporters of Chiang Rai United and we all hope to attend the match coming Saturday at 6 o'clock against Phitsanulok.

We thank the Chairman of Chiang Rai United for his great sympathy and support!

************************************************post-6305-1249437786_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1249615886.jpg Saturday evening August 8 at the stadium of Chiang Rai post-6305-1249616139.gif

---------------------------------------------- Chiang Rai United - Phitsanulok

-------------------------------------------------------------- the match starts at 6 pm

Chiang Rai sportsstadium is about 3km from Mengrai statue, through the Arc with HM the King's portrait you

take the road to Ban Panjamorn, Waterford, Wiang Chai and you will see the signs after two km at your left.

For car-pooling and a little refreshment before the match, please be at least one hour before at Rico's, supportershome

of the Thai-Foreign Supportersclub "The Orange Club", opposite corner of the Condotel at Phi-Gate, the next gate after

the better known Chiang Mai Gate.

A special match!

Phitsanulok has always been the 'champion of the north' as if it wasn't 500 kms more to Thailands northern most border :D .

For many years they have been playing in division 1, but last season was desastrous for them and they relegated to division 2.

The match will therefore somewhat have the character of a local derby. The first encounter between the two clubs ended in

Phitsanulok with a 3 - 1 win for Chiang Rai United.

At the moment Phitsanulok is in 6th position with 18 points out of 15 games (CRUTD 40 points out of 14 games).

Phitsanulok is known for a loyal and acoustically quite dominating supporters crowd. Also their Bangkok supporters will

come to Chiang Rai tomorrow night. It's going to be a great happening!

Phichit, our main competitor, will host Chiang Mai on Sunday (Chiang Mai SUSU!).

Phit'lokpost-6305-1249619411_thumb.jpg CRUTDpost-6305-1249619396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

Limbo and CRUTD supporters, if you need somewhere to park the car (not by the side of the road) , here at my place you are always welcome

( for car pooling )

pm me if you need my phone number

see you tomorrow at the stadium

Chiangrai United won with 2 - 0 !

More than 3000 visitors among which at least 25 local foreigners. Great match, after 25 minutes the first goal.

At the opening of the exhibition of Khun Lisa (American, though the title of the thread still suggests it's a Dutch artist, sorry, I can't change it anymore) there were at least 10 foreigners.

Great work and of Khun Paradorn also (please look under 9 Art Galery / Architect Studio).

Good night everybody!

Some pictures of the match against Phitsanulok (2 - 0) last Saturday :

post-6305-1249873493_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1249873593_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1249873628_thumb.jpg

Our only competitor and runner-up Phichit played last night against Chiang Mai and won with 7 - 1 !

With 5 games to go Chiangrai United still leads with 8 points.

Coming Saturday we will travel to Uttaradit (306 kms) and the week after, Saturday 22 August, we will host the game against Chiang Mai.

And then, my dear friends, the moment of truth will come very close as we will play away against Phichit on August 29.

Normally spoken (....?), we won't need more than a draw against Phichit to call us champions 2009 of the Northern Region of Division 2 !

I expect the highlights of the game within a couple of days on Youtube. Just search for CRUTD. The litte video presenting the new kits is very

well done and worth seeing.

Sportsfriends,

I wish you a nice week!

..........................................................post-6305-1249873341_thumb.jpg

A great gesture of the Chairman of Chiangrai United!

The 'potholed' sportfield of he Suksasongroh school in Maechan caused injuries (sprained ankles) for two players of Chiang Rai Hills FC.

That's why the chairman of CRUTD allowed the team to play on a training field of Chiangrai United.

Some hours before his own team would play Phitsanulok, he came to have a look to see if everything was okey.

That's sportmanship! My respect!

The shirts are ready, but the tailors messed up with the sizes. Like or instance the number 4 who got an XL jersey but S shorts.

So we are still playing 'skin' against shirts.

I've got a chance to interview mr. Albert fitness coach of CRUTD

PC= potatochips = BGH

AB= Albert

His full name is Kodjo Amou Adjeoda Kokou

PC : What do you think about football ?

AB : Football is very important in Togo, I love in the game since I was young and without it I wouldnt know what to do in my life

PC : I heard you used to play in the same team with Emmanuel Adebayor ?

AB : Yes, we used to play in the same team which called Enttente II Lome'.

PC : And what do you think about football in Thailand ?

AB : Thailand have very good football player but why can't they go to world cup ? I always questioned myself about this and since I've been here I got the answer for that. and the answer is that football has to be played more and more here not only at school , high school , university then stop. There must be a football league for these players.

PC : What do you think about Chiang Rai United ?

AB : Mr. Pond (Slith Wuthichuay crutd head coach) has alot of experiences in football and the players of crutd are also too good to be in 2nd division so I belived that we will be able to go to 1st division without losing even 1 game and one day we surely will be in Thail league.

PC : What do you think about the players that are from Chiang Rai ?

AB : After we have this club I'm sure that the club will produce alot of good player from youth team which we are going to have next year. As you can see, Watcharakorn he's now a role model for the kids as he's a player who was born here in Chiang Rai so they believe one day they can be like him too and that means one day CRUDT will have some good player for Thailand International team.

PC : Do you think that Thailand will be able to go to World Cup one day ?

AB : Definitely, I think 4 years after 2010 World cup Thailand will be able to go to World cup. Im sure.

PC : Thank you albert.

AB : Have a nice day.

ps. sorry for my bad English writing

Uttaradit - Chiangrai United 2 - 4 !

After 16 games, all won but one draw, we have a lead of 8 points on Phichit.

Maybe more, but that depends of the score in Sukhotai today.

With only 4 games to go, that feels quite comfortable.

Coming Saturday August 22 home against Chiang Mai !!!

Saturday August 22 at 6 pm at the stadium of Chiang Rai:

.............................................. Chiang Rai United - Chiang Mai United

It seems as if they are still optimistic in Chiang Mai. With four games to go Chiang Rai leads the league with 48 points. Chiang Mai is in nineth position with 12 points.

Chiang Rai scored 54 times in the 16 matches played and Chiang Mai only 19 times.

They lost their home match against Chiang Rai 0 - 3 !

But we like their sportive attitude!

Welcome to Chiang Rai ! :)

Limbo :D

Watcharakorn is a local player, a man from Chiang Rai and the hero of young Chiang Rai

...post-6305-1250810092_thumb.jpg...post-6305-1250810298_thumb.jpg.... post-6305-1250811148_thumb.jpg

Chiang Rai municipal stadium too small for top football club Chiang Rai United

Yesterday Chiang Mai showed up with a non neglectible number of supporters and this made one thing painfully clear: Our stadium is too small! Officially there are 3400 seats, but last night people were sitting on the stairs as well and certainly about 500 people were enjoying the match for free from behind the railings. 4000 Visitors and that happened probably never before here in town, but will certainly happen again!

Next year, Deo Volente, CRUTD will play in the first division and now already it attracts the same number, or even more, than Thai Premier League games. Chiang Rai stadium is old, very old. It was built more than thirty years ago to host the Thai Games. That's why there also is a perfect swimming pool with stands, an indoor sports hall that can accommodate at least a thousand spectators, tennis courts, shooting ranges and more.

post-6305-1250996018_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1250995986_thumb.jpg

Chiang Mai was permitted to loose modestly as Chiang Rai United seemed to be in a merciful mood and the goal posts behind the Chiang Mai goaly contributed to the party by presenting themselves as excellent defenders as well.

It was a great game and the 'drumband' supporter groups of both teams contributed greatly to the atmosphere.

Also the expat 'Orange Hooligan Club' is growing and its enthousiasm as well.

Next week in Phichit we probably will secure the championship of Region North, but the big celebration will be on Saturday September 5 here in Chiang Rai at the home game against Sukhotai. It's going to be a bedlam!

Stay away 555!

A Thai friend just told me he heard that the Manager/Coach of CR Utd, Pond, either quit or was sacked after the Chiang Mai game! Anyone know any more about this? Very surprised if true as they have done so well and are probably gonna get promoted.

Edited by skybluestu

Thank you Mr. Limbo! I enjoy your reviews and pictures! No doubt CRUTD will go to Div1!!! We are the best in the north but i wonder how CRUTD will be against other regional teams. But i have faith in them :D

Hahahaha (55555), we will soon find out!

Suddenly our runner-up Phichit is 11 points behind!

If I got the right information they lost yesterday at home of Uttaradit by 1 - 2.

And only three games to go!

That means:

post-6305-1251101018_thumb.jpg We are the Champions !!!

************************************************** of the 2nd Division Region North for the year 2009 !

In the after-competition we will meet the other four region champions to compete for the promotion to the First Division.

Three of the five region champions will play First Divisin next year. It are going to be an extra eight games, four at home and four away.

Two of our opponents are already known:

The Champion 2009 of the Bangkok & Fields Region is Raj Pracha of Nonthaburi

and of Region South Narathiwat.

Sadly for Satun that also ended with 39 points, twice had a draw with Narathiwat, but scored four (4!) goals less....

Nord East Nakhon Ratchasima is leading with two points over Loei and still three games to go.

Ayutthaya and Samut Prakan have both 39 points with three games to go.

Next week we play Phichit away and then we have two home games left.

It's going to be party time at the home game against Sukhotai in two weeks!

PS: Chiangrai United on TV Channel 3

.........post-6305-1251101157.png.................................... post-6305-1251102290_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1251101086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

A Thai friend just told me he heard that the Manager/Coach of CR Utd, Pond, either quit or was sacked after the Chiang Mai game! Anyone know any more about this? Very surprised if true as they have done so well and are probably gonna get promoted.

Mr. Pond was sacked before the Chiang Mai game and the one who was in charge in Chiang Mai game was a new coach.

ex-international goal keeper mr. Pansa also left the team after Chiang Mai game because he was upset.

Chiang Rai United won tonight in Phichit of the club with the same name with 3 - 2.

That means: out of 18 games CRUTD won 17 times and had one draw.

Saturday 5 against Sukhotai we will celebrate the championship.

Tomorrow at Sanaam Kila Chiang Rai Hills against Ban Huay Khom, a training match.