Football In Chiang Rai: Chiangrai United FC

Nigbon

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Welcome !

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273192825_thumb.jpg

Supportershome Chiangrai United

Recently the new supportershome of Chiangrai United opened its doors.

It will almost automatically become the venue for local football fans.

It is located at the corner next to the fragment of the old (1954) reconstruction

of a much older town wall, two hundred meters from the statue of Mengrai.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273192974_thumb.jpg

It is a nice place with a pleasant ambiance.

The classic airy style makes you think of a 'grand cafe'.

Aircon, internet, newspapers and magazines contribute to the atmosphere.

The meals are Thai and if I am informed right the new cook has arrived.

A patisserie provides the means to cushion the stomach of those who drink coffee or tea.

post-6305-1273193461_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1273193214_thumb.jpg

A very impressive machine turns Doi Chang coffee beans into different kinds, warm or cold

is of course not the question here, of this remarcable liquid that by those drinking it often is

considered to create a feeling of greater mental awareness.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273193131_thumb.jpg

Other visitors would for the same purpose rely on the yellow foamy liquid streaming out of three

'taps' at this beautiful Chiangrai United home: The pumps provide Ashahi, Singha and Leo draught!

Be aware! Don't come in underwear!

It is a Thai establishment where people wear normal decent clothes.

Parking at ITD-Plaza or coming from the other direction in front of the place.

Limbo :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Welcome !

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273192825_thumb.jpg

Supportershome Chiangrai United

Recently the new supportershome of Chiangrai United opened its doors.

It will almost automatically become the venue for local football fans.

It is located at the corner next to the fragment of the old (1954) reconstruction

of a much older town wall, two hundred meters from the statue of Mengrai.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273192974_thumb.jpg

It is a nice place with a pleasant ambiance.

The classic airy style makes you think of a 'grand cafe'.

Aircon, internet, newspapers and magazines contribute to the atmosphere.

The meals are Thai and if I am informed right the new cook has arrived.

A patisserie provides the means to cushion the stomach of those who drink coffee or tea.

post-6305-1273193461_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1273193214_thumb.jpg

A very impressive machine turns Doi Chang coffee beans into different kinds, warm or cold

is of course not the question here, of this remarcable liquid that by those drinking it often is

considered to create a feeling of greater mental awareness.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273193131_thumb.jpg

Other visitors would for the same purpose rely on the yellow foamy liquid streaming out of three

'taps' at this beautiful Chiangrai United home: The pumps provide Ashahi, Singha and Leo draught!

Be aware! Don't come in underwear!

It is a Thai establishment where people wear normal decent clothes.

Parking at ITD-Plaza or coming from the other direction in front of the place.

And members of Weah Radio get a 10% discount :D (must show the member card)

For those interested in Chiangrai Hills, the 100% hill tribe team:

On May 16th at 10am there will be a small "unveiling of the name ceremony". Don't expect anything grandiose though :)

This will take place on the site of the future Chiangrai Hills stadium, which is already under construction.

Open to anyone who would like to know more about this project.

There will be a computer presentation about the construction plans.

See map attached.

post-12654-1273331978_thumb.jpg

post-12654-1273331998_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1273574265_thumb.jpg

The Privy Councillor and the secretary of His Majesty the King of Thailand present the

Thai and English version of the book about Chao Phya Abhai Raja Siammanukulkij to

HRH Princess Ubol Ratana.

This morning the members of the all-hilltribe Chiangrai Hills FC came together for a

picture with all the people that are working at the construction site of their new

30.000.000 Baht stadium in Maechan.

At several occasions they have been working shoulder to shoulder with them, thus

helping to build their own stadium.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-1273574853_thumb.jpg

They came to the site on their new scooters, donated to them by the private sponsor

of this unique project (under the umbrella of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja Siammanukulkij

Foundation) as a reward for their dedication and perseverance during the first ten months,

the periode that the team exists now.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-1273575011_thumb.jpg

Also the team of weahradio - another project of the foundation concerned - was present.

The publicity given to this football team by weahradio, but also by the Thai national television

(mainly NBT with Khun Sansanee Sitapan-Moller, known from Good Morning Thailand and

Channel 9 - with among others the enormous popular Woody) and in articles in newspapers

and magazines has contributed very positively to the scouting of good hill-tribe players.

Anyhow, if you happen to know football talents from the hills, please PM me and I will forward

your information to the captain of the team.

About the name of the foundation:

Chao Phya Abhaj Raja Siammanukulkij is the Thai noble title bestowed by His Majesty

King Chulalongkorn the Great upon the Belgian international jurist Gustave Rolin Jaquemyns.

This superb jurist, 'found' in Cairo (serving the viceroy of Egypt) by nobody less than

brother of King Rama V, HRH Prince Damrong, was among others greatly instrumental

in saving the independence of Thailand. He was as minister plenipotentiary main advisor

of The Great King during the negotiations with the French after the Paknam incident in 1893.

post-6305-1273574853_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-1273574596_thumb.jpg

Privy Councillor and former finance minister M.R. Thepkamol Devakula, Governor of Chiang Rai

Province Khun Trisit Sinsomboonthong and Khun Thaanit Vajarodaya of the Office of His Majesty's

Principal Secretary, who is also vice-chairman of the foundation, were present at the residence

of the Belgian ambassador when the ceremony took place that would bring the foundation formally into being.

At the same occasion the presentation of the Thai language version of the by Maechan Insii Thaihouse

published book about the Belgian-Thai prince took place.

Edited by Limbo

• 2 weeks later...

. . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-1274849833_thumb.jpg

Today, Wednesday May 26 at the Municipal Stadium of Chiang Rai

Chiangrai United is writing history again:

The first ever game for the Thai Football Association Cup in our town!

Chiangrai United - Globlex

Globlex is the '11 players team' of the National Footsal Team of Thailand.

It will be good to see CRUTD play again on Chiang Rai soil.

Yesterday our team played in Suphanburi (2 - 2).

The next game at home will be the 6th of June against Thai Air Force, at the moment

leading in the Division 1 League.

Chiangrai United susu, susu, susu!

The game starts at 17.00 pm

It was the first Thai FA Cup match ever played in Chiang Rai and though rather little publicity

had been given to it still more than 2500 Chiangrai United fans found their way to the stadium.

They didn't come in vain as they were presented a game that was a real joy for the eye.

The players of the national futsal team of Thailand, this time united in an '11 Mannschaft'

under sponsor name Globlex, played sharp on the square meter.

It didn't help: after ten minutes Chiangrai United found the net behind the goaly of Globlex

and the civil servant manning the score board had to be shaken awake to change the number.

Also in the second half the men had to come into action and this not less than three times

to get the end result right:

. . . . . Chiangrai United versus Globlex 4 - 0

Our 17, Adu Gyamfi, is and remains an amazing player. Though he couldn't be accused of really

going after the leather, his positioning is so good that he seems to own a window of the field that

goes with him wherever he moves. Ever time he has the ball at his foot he creates danger and

drives his guardians to distraction. When he accelerates on the right wing, taking the big curve,

he seems to reach 'Lambo-level' (from 0 to 100 in 3,4).

Great to see him play.

I would like to bring one of the banners in the stadium to your attention. It shows the logo of the

Chiangrai Hills FC and a picture of the team with Albert Kodjo in their midst. The picture was taken

in Lampang after the Hills played against the team of the Governmental Sport Academy of Lampang.

Though Albert came to Chiangrai to serve Chiangrai United as physical coach, he was for a short while

assistent coach of the Hills as well.

Now he is not only the coach of the school's football team but also of its athletics. At the last National

Athletics Tournament in Sukothai his disciples were the most succesfull team of all and brought home

an impressive number of medals.

Interesting that Albert once played in Il Tome together with Emmanuel Adebayor, who among others

played in Metz, Monaco and Arsenal before he signed up for Manchester City.

As you might know in the mean time is Chiangrai Hills an all hilltribe team. This creates limitations

concerning the scouting and recruitment of good players. The banner therefore invites hilltribe football

players to take contact with the captain of the team for the next talent identification event.

I know that some among you that in one way or the other work for the embetterment of the life of

hilltribe youngsters still once in a while have a look at this 'forum'. If you know about football talents

or know others that might know, please spread the word. The conditions for the players are excellent

(see also the thread about the new football stadium in Maechan).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1275039084_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

a rather sudden and unexpected loss of local football information.........

has someone trodden on someones toes somewhere along the line??

know from personal experience how that can end up............

are u still covering the local scene limbo?

the info u provide is sorely missed

Limbo has recently married, and is still on honeymoon, and doesnt have time for this anymore

• 2 weeks later...

Limbo has recently married, and is still on honeymoon, and doesnt have time for this anymore

Looks like Limbo is in limbo :D anyway what sort of man is he to put a wife before football, perhaps your better off without him :o

Chiang Mai Lions

Looks like Limbo is in limbo :D anyway what sort of man is he to put a wife before football, perhaps your better off without him :o

Chiang Mai Lions

Sorry, that should have read Chiang Mai Tigers, never been good with animals :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Limbo, what has happening with Chiang Rai United? Not one post since middle of June!

Are they still playing football or what?

Maybe I shall take off the stickers from my car?

:blink::huh::o

YeaH, I want to know too. Its difficult for us 'Villagers' to keep track of the football out in the sticks.

Maybe Limbo's still busy on the nest B) . You'll do yourself an injury Limbo. :)

Edited by jubby

And back due to Popular demand, lets have a big hand for the one and only, Limbo.

HERES .... LIMBOOOO ! .... YEAAHH !! YIPEE ! HURRAY ! ... Su.. Su.. ..... T!ts OOT ! (as they say in geordie Land) :D

He's a Canny Lad, ........ wheres tha Gan Bonnie Lad ?

LIMBO ! ? ..........

LIMBO ? ................

LIMBOO ? ...................

And back due to Popular demand, lets have a big hand for the one and only, Limbo.

HERES .... LIMBOOOO ! .... YEAAHH !! YIPEE ! HURRAY ! ... Su.. Su.. ..... T!ts OOT ! (as they say in geordie Land) :D

LIMBO ! ? ..........

LIMBO ? ................

Ok Jubbs but if ya ganna say it say it rite get ya tits oot fo th lads bonnie lad.

LIMBO ! ? ..........

LIMBO ? ................

Ok Jubbs but if ya ganna say it say it rite get ya tits oot fo th lads bonnie lad.

You've not seen the Geordie thread yet then. Sid Sexist , just says 'T!Ts OOt ! . The rest goes without saying :)

Yesterday I commanded a little platoon small San Miguels in the company of Big Gary and his lovely wife within living memory Eltee. Last time we saw each other was when I was impersonating Santaclaus in Ban Hong Li, starting at W's, the then Australian/American hang-out. So impressive far the capacity of our combined memories went. And where did it happen? In Big Gary's almost brandnew village bar of course!

I am not sure, but I think Big Gary and Eltee opened their first bar somewhen like 25 years ago in the Wancome area opposite the now closed music bar of the Wangcome hotel. As he wrote elsewhere in these columns, he didn't expect that the only thing he would sell in a day was two bottles of plain water to lost backpackers. Mostly he didn't see his customers after that, only the few that came back to claim refund on the empty bottles.

But this time he created a super fine open bar in the middle of his village, just out of town, a better location you couldn't think of. Don't go there today as the place is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays. And, which is probably more imporatnt to mention: It is open the rest of the week between 2 and 8 pm.

Most of you will know it already as the Sunday afternoon meeting place, the moment that the 'fine-fleur' of the Chiang Rai expats meets. Big Gary, a professional cook, provides a little inside-stomach layer for the liquid refreshments to land on. Yes, yes, on the house of course so spread the message and bring your empty bottles as well :lol:

Anyhow: It was Big Gary ('V8' Gary) who mentioned Jubby's call. That's why the introduction seems to be off-topic as football is the main dish here. The bar is named (I have to be carefull) after an animal that I never have seen before but is said to be typical Australian. It has very strong legs, but the arms seem much less developed. And it is in the corner at the left after coming down the hill. In the first village after the Rai Mae Fah Luang coming from Den Ha...

My dear friends, I put a lot of energy in setting up this forum, I posted here more than 2000 times and English is far from being my first language. When some of the users of this forum started to point out that my contributions were not appreciated and even found moderators willing to delete posts they didn't like I decided to say bye-bye.

But now back to football!

As you all know Chiangrai United managed to get to the third round of the Thai Cup this year. Call it bad luck or good luck, but we played at home ten days ago against BEC Tero Sasana from Bangkok.

The same team that managed to reach the cupfinal last year, but lost it after extra time on penalties (4 - 5) against a club no less than Muang Tong. In the Thai premier league BEC Tero Sasana ended in forth position last year.

It was really a litmus test for our new Brasilian coach to gear up our team for a game against one of Thailands top clubs.

And he did pass the test! It was a blistering game! BEC Tero took the lead and it took untill far into the second half before a brilliant action of Adu resulted in the equalizer. In extra time we lost: 1 - 2.

People were in tears, but it was so far the greatest match I have seen our team play. I realized that we have the quality for the Thai Premier League. This was great football, this was super professional, this created this typical cup atmosphere we know from the pits in our home lands. I guess 6500 to 7000 Chiangrai United fans were there, cheered to the end and suffered.

Our team is international now. The Brasilian coach has two Brasilians on the paylist, among which the young symphatic Filipe, who less than two years ago played his last match in the national youth team of Brasil, Japanese Keisuke (no, not that one, because he plays now in Moscow), one player from Ivory Coast and, of course, the Johan Cruyff style playing Adu from Ghana.

This man can accelerate, you won't believe ...

Six weeks ago we lost at home 1 - 3 of Khonkaen, last Sunday we kept the nill in Khonkaen: 0 - 0.

This coming Sunday, 15 August at 17.00 at the Sanaam Kila Klang in Chiang Rai:

Chiangrai United vs. Thai Honda

Be in time!

Limbo :yohan:

For further reports on Chiang Rai football I hope we can rely on good old David.

Here we see him making acquaintance with the Orange girls before the match against BEC Tero Sasana. The other pic shows our new coach and new players.

Manit and Anon came from Police United FC.

It was a great atmosphere in the stadium against BEC Tero.post-6305-034343000 1281514853_thumb.jpgpost-6305-033252500 1281514884_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . post-6305-034807900 1281513258_thumb.jpg

post-6305-003478200 1281514310_thumb.jpg

:welcomeani: back Limbo!

Indeed. welcome Home Limbo . Don't worry about being offtopic it seems 'par for the course' these days.

I was wondering where that Bar was, and now I know.

Also don't worry about English not being your first language, Its not mine either ;)

It was actually Sven who sent out the 'Call to Arms' for you. He's getting concerned that we are starting to use 'heated' words on here. And then there's the Football Too.

I would like to see photo's of both sides Cheerleaders in future, with or without Dave , along with the commentary.

Lets have some more appropriate Music :-

Edited by jubby

You might be interested to join the (free) Chiangrai United party at Dusit Island hotel on the 21st at 6.30pm.

The party will be the occasion to announce a new (renewed in fact) partnership which will help the team to reach the Thai Premier League.

Copy of invitation attached...

post-12654-019606300 1281525419_thumb.jp

Edited by gerry1011

The party will be the occasion to announce a new (renewed in fact) partnership which will help the team to reach the Thai Premier League.

Good to see the eagle fly again ... :)

Yes Jubby, Tchaikovsky knows how to shake that thing (at least acoustically), but what

would you say about our own Chiangrai United FC house musician?

Listen and shiver:

At your service,

You might be interested to join the (free) Chiangrai United party at Dusit Island hotel on the 21st at 6.30pm.

Oooohh 'free' and 'party', two of my favourite words! I just saw some pics on facebook that Miti posted (from the Christmas party I think) and was wondering when the next one will be, I want my pic taken with the orange girls and Lamborghini which, coincidentally, are another two of my favourite words.

Oooohh 'free' and 'party', two of my favourite words! I just saw some pics on facebook that Miti posted (from the Christmas party I think) and was wondering when the next one will be, I want my pic taken with the orange girls and Lamborghini which, coincidentally, are another two of my favourite words.

Did someone say Free Beer !? or was it my Imagination. Doppelbock ? :)

As for the Song Limbo, It was all 'Double Dutch' to me, but the Kids liked it. I'll have to take them to the match sometime, they'll need some shirts first though ;)

Anyway, Its kinda on a theme :-

Edited by jubby

The Lambo will be there too... together with some other "Chiangrai (near) Super Cars", such as Audi TT, BMW Z4, Nissan Fairlady, Posrche and more...

For those who are not able to go, there is always a way to be part of the party (also for free), through the website of Weah Radio, which will broadcast the event live (follow the Chiangrai United links).

Lannaman has looked out his orange shirt and will venture along to the Stadium

to support Cra United for the first at 5pm this evening.

Dear Lannaman, I have a free seat on the grand stand for you.

I will phone you half an hour before the match!

Come early please, because it might be full house again!

post-6305-067305800 1281858858_thumb.png versus post-6305-006928500 1281859331_thumb.jpg

Today at 17.00 Municipal Stadium Chiang Rai (Sanam Kila Klang)

Todays opponent will be Thai Honda, managed by coach Masami Taki and affiliated

with Japanese Honda FC. Its home base is the Anniversary Stadium in Bangkok.

The name of the sponsor I leave to your fantasy.

One of the starplayers of the team is Ghanese Nana Yaw Asamoah, who formerly played

for Asante Kotoko F.C. The two other foreigners are from Cameroon.

After several years in the Thai Premier League the club was relegated to the first

division in 2008.

At the moment, after 19 games, Thai Honda holds the sixth position with 29 points

and Chiangrai United is tenth with 24 points. Sriracha FC from Chonburi is still

in leading position with 43 points and Khonkaen and Air Force United are runners up

with 37 points each (the first three teams will be promoted to the Thai PL).

Thai Honda has lost its last two matches, where Chiangrai United under the management of its

new Brasilian coach has shown a promising upward trend during last weeks.

First we had the brilliant performance in the third round of the Thai Cup, where

last years runner-up and Thai Premier League team BEC Tero Sasana needed extra time

to take the points home.

Last week Chiangrai United held the nill away against Khonkaen. The match ended 0 - 0,

where we seven weeks ago at home lost 1 - 3 of the same team.

Don't ask me why, but I think it is going to be a great game.

Chiangrai United has a fantastic supporters group, here in Chiang Rai, but also

in Bangkok area where almost half of the other teams have their home grounds.

They have united themselves in Kwang Krung. They are the twelfth player in the field!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-034616700 1281858920_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . Chiangrai United susu, susu, susu!

Reason for editing:

I forgot to mention that it was Khun Paya Uynrongosgong who made

the excellent photo of the Kwang Krung supportersgroup.

Edited by Limbo

. . . . . Chiangrai United FC vs Thai Honda FC 4 - 1

It sounds like kicking in an open door, but a won match sometimes seems to

come close to an extorted present from above. And especially when the win was

dearly needed and on top of that was delivered in a spectaculair and splendid way.

All these components for a great football experience were met last Sunday.

The crowd was enormeous. Certainly not less than 5000 people wittnessed the spectacle.

It included foreign prominence like Lannaman, Captain Dave of the Foreign Legion (the

football team of Chiangrai foreigners), Bryan, Rob, those who prefer to be anonimous

and many, many others.

The nice thing is that people can see the match for free again if they choose to do

so and this from behind the fences. The other option is to request a membership card

of Weah radio (a project under the umbrella of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja Foundation)

that gives free entry to the northern stand.

Certainly about 4 to 5 hundred people, mostly youngsters, chose for this option.

Believe me when I say that their engagement and enthousiasm is certainly not less

than that of those spending 120 Baht for a comfortable chair on the grand stand.

For many it was a shock to see Adu sneaking around in his 'civil outfit' before the

match and not seeing him entering the field. It was one yellow card too much that

prevented him from doing so.

He contributed strongly to the draw against Khonkaen and paid his price.

Thanks Adu for doing so on behalf of all of us!

But what a surprise it was to see a number 23 with the name Gilson on his back!

Just today, at the (Australian/English/American and Dutch of course) Kangaroos expat pub,

Mister Dee informed me about the fame the name Gilson built up in Brasil during the time

Pele was getting the headlines.

Gilson is a player we won't forget! He is tall, technically sharp on the square meter, and

with his lenght he is in the center when corners are taken, if at our side or the other.

His headers bring peace and relief at our side of the field and are extremely treatening

for our opponents when it's our turn to launch the leather from the corner.

He is a superb defender, who like his fellow country man Edvaldo excels in these subtile

shoves that by their precision always, seemingly magically, put the ball where it should be.

Not always spectaculair, but surgically precise and extremely effective.

Very sad said to see him being carried of the field on a stretcher after Asamoha of Honda FC

had sliced the skin of his forehead. And this only twenty seconds before the match ended ...

What a nasty injury for a player specialized in headers!

He was extremely emotional when he was carried into the catacombes where he had to wait for

the ambulance to take him for further treatment to the hospital. Very sad for Gilson himself,

for Chiangrai United and for all of us. May he be back soon!

Concerning the match I must say that our first goal after 11 minutes brought relief and confidence.

In Bangkok away we won of Thai Honda FC by 0 - 1, but this day after our second match this monumental

4 - 1 was shining on the score board.

After these 11 minutes we were one goal ahead, but we had to wait until the fifteenth minute in the second

half for the second. Ten minutes later the third had to be put on the score board, a brilliant goal

of Brasilian striker Edvaldo.

With only 15 minutes to go Filipe (two years ago still playing in the national youth team of Brasil)

made his debut on the Chiangrai playground. With him came Manit and Anon, the players that newly changed

their Police United shirt for the orange one of our Chiangrai team. Fifteen minutes are not much, but

enough to give a signal and they did. Especially Manit impressed with his insight and his ability to

broaden the game. Also Japanese Keisuke Agawe, in the base, showed that he deserves our confidence.

A misunderstanding in our defence brought a striker alone in front of our excellent goalie. He was blocked,

but in the rebound another player of Thai Honda FC only needed a soft broom to push the leather over the chalk

line connecting the posts.

One time more the ball was shot into the net of Honda and the party could start!

Summarizing: Splendid football, great show and it is great to see that more and more foreigners know how

to find the way to the stadium.

Interesting also was to see Taiwid Klaitin, former player of the national team of Thailand and Chiangrai FC

coach, sitting next to me doing the analyses on his sheets. 'What are you doing here?' I asked him and I was

rewarded with his broad and sympathic smile. Also he contributes with his expertise and experience to the

successes of Chiangrai United FC.

Our coach along the line, seldom in the dug-out . .post-6305-021791400 1282049866_thumb.jpg

Important: the match against Chula United FC, that was supposed to be played this Wednesday,

is postponed until September. The rains have been quite disastrous to the field.

Next match will be coming Sunday against RBAC.

A few hundred meters north of Den Ha on the old Chiangmai road the second Chiangrai United fanclub

pub/restaurant/coffeeshop opened its doors:

. . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-002854800 1282050381_thumb.jpg