Catfishing Thai Style

Sel

As many such catfish invested ponds are in temple grounds - one should not be 'fishing' there.

But yes - throw a few handfuls of the brown biscuit to them and they are easy to pick up as they nibble your fingers - they taste the biscuit.

• 1 month later...
Is there something wrong with my eyes?

That did not look like a catfish to me!

Hard to tell from that short video. I do know that you can pick up Mekong catfish by their pectoral fins as the guy in the video did.

On Laem Sing beach on Phuket island my girl friend stalked and grabbed a bright blue Parrot fish.

Hand_fishing_6.sized.jpg

Hand_fishing_2.sized.jpg

Hand_fishing_1.sized.jpg

I asked if she was going to release it and she said no. She got some Thais on the beach to cook it up for us.

Hand_fishing_10.sized.jpg

Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs went noodling for catfish in the states. Basically, they locals would stick their hands into holes and grab the catfish by the mouth.

The fish shown here is a member of the Pangasius family (Pla Sawai) which is a much smaller cousin of the Giant Mekong River Catfish (Pangasius giganteus or Pla Buek). Careful with the pectoral fin barb as this could cut your precious skin.

Coral eating fish such as parrot fish are bad to eat and potentially can you can get very sick. Google Ciguatera poisoning.

Thanks for the information. I didn't eat much of it anyway. Besides, I would have released the fish after catching it, but she wanted to eat it.