Reasonably Priced Stand Mixer?

Daren

Could you guess? I would like to buy a stand mixer! In paragon they have one for 30k+. That seems a tad steep... :D:):D

I don't want to spend more than I have to but I also realize the advantages to real quality. Is around 10k reasonable? Also I don't live in BKK so phone/internet ordering would be advantageous (however do I go with semi-regular frequency).

Thanks for any and all help!

Could you guess? I would like to buy a stand mixer! In paragon they have one for 30k+. That seems a tad steep... :D:):D

I don't want to spend more than I have to but I also realize the advantages to real quality. Is around 10k reasonable? Also I don't live in BKK so phone/internet ordering would be advantageous (however do I go with semi-regular frequency).

Thanks for any and all help!

You can get large stand mixers in BKK Chinatown for 12,000. It was not quite bakery size but it looked about twice the size of my Kitchen Aid.

Thanks, Gippy! I saw you mentioned something about a 12k mixer in another thread. How does the quality look? Could it fit on a counter, would it do better on the floor? Chinatown is big and a bit confusing for me, could you please be a bit more specific about where I should look?

-------------

Another great tip! Thank you, sinewave! Any idea of the price? Where on On Nut? Could I walk there from the BTS?

Edited by Daren

Thanks, Gippy! I saw you mentioned something about a 12k mixer in another thread. How does the quality look? Could it fit on a counter, would it do better on the floor? Chinatown is big and a bit confusing for me, could you please be a bit more specific about where I should look?

The quality looked OK, not the same as Kitchen Aid but not bad. I would think it will be from either China or Taiwan. The 12k mixer would fit on a counter but they also have bigger floor sitting ones. I was kind of lost myself at the time but did get a name card from a nearby shop, it says 135 Soi Vorngnakronkasem New Road Soi 10. There is an area there that has a lot of shops selling tools, catering equipment and musical instruments if that helps narrow it down.

Very helpful! Thanks to everyone!

Gerd: Which Makro would that have been? Here in Cowboy Country :) they have of the like.

So here's an aside for ya:

What kind of mixer do you have? Hand, stand, KitchenAid, Panasonic, Hobart?? :D

Has it ever broken, either here in LoS of back "home"? Were you able to get it repaired/replaced? Did you have to eat it?

Edited by Daren

Gerd: Which Makro would that have been? Here in Cowboy Country :D they have of the like.

Has it ever broken, either here in LoS of back "home"? Were you able to get it repaired/replaced? Did you have to eat it?

Here in Phuket they have a small shop in front.

My mixer: Using my own hands :) , a lot of sweating but it works.

Gerd

Gerd: Which Makro would that have been? Here in Cowboy Country :D they have of the like.

Here in Phuket they have a small shop in front.

My mixer: Using my own hands :) , a lot of sweating but it works.

Gerd

I hear that model is a good one... replacement parts are a bastard though!

I can't wait to check out all of the suggestions here, so I don't think I will! Headed to BKK on friday!

What do you want to mix up? KITCHENAID is still the standard for home cooks, and will last a lifetime. They are a bit pricey in Thailand. You can get those prof. machines in Chinatown but they are very large and quite noisy for home use, no "extra goodies" and often have those giant plugs that need a special power bar, etc. Also they are just that "for commercial use".

The ones in VERASU (great place for cooking things) will more than do for even the most ambitious home cooks. I know CENTRAL has DeLOnghi and a Kenwood models for about 8-10K that looked pretty good, with lots of attachments. But if you love cooking that KITCHENAID is a thing of joy to see on your counter!

Forgot ...the 4.5 liter bowl is slightly smaller than average but again unless you are doing volume dough mixing probably not a problem.

Also if you are just baking (no doughs or breads) a heavy duty hand held could do the trick as well. I still often use it because cleaning the stand mixers is a bit of a chore and adding things to a working stand mixer can also be quite messy.

The only thing hand helds have problems with is whipping cream, can be done, but by hand with a whisk still gives you better control of the process and far fewer instances of over beating. Uggg like I had recently on top of some peach pie...it was one degree away from butta!

Good luck.

Not all Kitchenaid mixers are what they used to be. There are issues with oil leaking, issues with plastic gearboxes, issues with customer service. Most of the newer models have nylon gears. Works fine for most things, but cannot deal with bread well at all, it eventually strips the gears. In order to get the old-style steel gears you need to buy at least the 5 quart Pro model, with bowl-lift -NOT the Artisan series. The best thing you can do is find an OLD K5 series. Those were the old workhorses that lasted forever, as well as the OLD K45 series. I don't trust the new ones. D**m Whirlpool for destroying a good brand by making junk mixers that only last 2 years and have a 1 year warranty.

You need to do some research. I like the Bosch Universal, myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 years later...

The Kitchenaid look very nice but very underpowered at 300 watts, very overpriced too. I have just ordered this from Lazada, it is 1400 watts and a 5.5 litre bowl, it has also metal gearing for strength. It costs about about 3,500 baht, but if you are prepared to wait untill Lazadas special 11.11 day it is being sold for 2,800 baht, I have no patience, I want it now.????

It does come with a 12 months warranty also.

Screenshot_2020-11-05-20-02-17-667.jpeg

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...