A.i.s.

Has anyone else, using A.I.S., for "dial up" access to the internet noticed their latest trick?

After "logging on" the connection speed reduces until, after about 30/45 minutes, it cuts out - totally!

It's been happening for (approximately) the last seven days - consistantly!

This, obviously, allows them to show a "decent" connection to start, but leaves everyone doubting their equipment (Solomon, Mobile etc.) and makes it impossible to leave a computer (PC/Laptop) switched on to obtain a download, unless you are present, to reset/reconnect.

No doubt some Thai guy is "rubbing his hands" and feeling very clever, without knowing how stupid he, really, is!!

Sheesh!

:)

Edited by Yaaklenmai

Last night I downloaded several large files using AIS EDGE/GPRS connection, I had no problems as you describe, just one time connection for more then 6 hours. (disconnected the connection just a few minutes ago)

Its going to depend on location and the number of calls being made at any given time.  Data is space A and calls made on the system will start to slow and even close your connection if the volume is heavy.  Unless you pay the full 1 baht per minute rate which helps but is still back seat to a calls made on the system.  With only one tower in range of our location it worked fine in the beginning.  As more people got cell phones because we now have cell phone signal it started slowing, then dropping.  Now its completely useless for data. 2 minutes max connection time 5k connection if it does connect.  so much for wireless connecting the wireless.  :)

Has anyone else, using A.I.S., for "dial up" access to the internet noticed their latest trick?

After "logging on" the connection speed reduces until, after about 30/45 minutes, it cuts out - totally!

It's been happening for (approximately) the last seven days - consistantly!

This, obviously, allows them to show a "decent" connection to start, but leaves everyone doubting their equipment (Solomon, Mobile etc.) and makes it impossible to leave a computer (PC/Laptop) switched on to obtain a download, unless you are present, to reset/reconnect.

No doubt some Thai guy is "rubbing his hands" and feeling very clever, without knowing how stupid he, really, is!!

Sheesh!

:)

Just disconnect and re-connect and the speed will increase for a while. I have used AIS mobile internet for 2 years with no problems most of the time. It is much faster and I get 50hrs free internet use every month with my normal 200bt monthly package deal. I think thats marvellous

Which is why it is so hard to give an answer when people ask will AIS or Dtac be good for internet, or which one will be the faster!

GSM gives ultimate priority to voice calls, regardless whether you pay 1 Baht/minute or are on a monthly package for your internet.

You get full speed if close to the cell tower and when you get 4 time slots assigned. 1 time slot gives you 59.2 kbps, so a total of 236.8 kbps.

When all slots are in use and more voice calls come in, slots will be taken away from data connection. On average 1 slot will allow 4 more voice calls to be made. One full rate data connection basically takes away capacity for 16 voice calls!

SO there are 2 factors determining your actual speed (and stability of it), distance to the cell tower and how busy that cell tower is on average with voice calls!