Fxcm Trading Platform

For the last two days (Thur/Fri) my FXCM trading platform has been locking up after being logged in for a few minutes and I haven't been able to trade forex. I telephoned them and they emailed me instructions on how to do an internet route check in dos, which I did (30 hops from Pattaya to the US) and emailed it to them. That was yesterday morning but up until I went to bed last night the problem persisted.

Whilst I was out on Thursday, there was quite a severe storm here and the electricity went out. I hadn't turned off my modem so could that account for the problem? All other internet programs are fine and I've removed and reloaded the trading software but the condition persists. The fault is also on the demo platform, although it uses the same software, just a different login.

Anyone else was experiencing the same problem?

For the last two days (Thur/Fri) my FXCM trading platform has been locking up after being logged in for a few minutes and I haven't been able to trade forex. I telephoned them and they emailed me instructions on how to do an internet route check in dos, which I did (30 hops from Pattaya to the US) and emailed it to them. That was yesterday morning but up until I went to bed last night the problem persisted.

Whilst I was out on Thursday, there was quite a severe storm here and the electricity went out. I hadn't turned off my modem so could that account for the problem? All other internet programs are fine and I've removed and reloaded the trading software but the condition persists. The fault is also on the demo platform, although it uses the same software, just a different login.

No problems with fxcm here jesimps (Hua Hin) as of 1/5/09

Do a search on google regarding fxcm and lockouts. Sometimes the fx brokers will put you on lockout to stop you from locking in a profit on some trade.

yes i totally agree, just do some research and you will see that the most of the bucketshops around will just blame your connection, pc, etc, is a very common scapegoat for them, please have a look into this website and add your personal experience if you can, thanks, http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/public/forex_broker_reviews

Do a search on google regarding fxcm and lockouts. Sometimes the fx brokers will put you on lockout to stop you from locking in a profit on some trade.

Yes, fxcm is rigged, khunjake says it truly. Lockups of screen are only overt sign. watch the pip spread - they vary spread to make it wider just when your price point is near, gobble up your money like Pak Man!

Best thing, get another platform, close fxcm account. Look for broker that guarantees spread will stay fixed. Maybe, get off pachinko game totally, buy currency futures instead? :)

In reality there is no such thing as a fixed spread. The market doesn't work like that. When there is a lot of liquidity in the market the spread is tight but then widens when volumes are down. Brokers like FXCM who offer it are market makers. The price from the vast pool of banks goes through the broker's dealing desk and is manipulated. The market maker broker can offer fixed spreads because they control the price.

A more honest way is to use an ECN broker such as MB Trading that offers straight through processing (STP). You pay a commission on each transaction but price is not manipulated. If you scalp for a few pips you will get killed by a market maker, but it is less important if you trade on higher time frames.

Find people are quick to condemn FXCM, but they are no worse than any other dealer. They also allow you to trade microlots which is all I can afford. As for spreads, all dealers' spreads are variable.

Providing you use good money management and lots of self discipline, forex trading can be profitable. I make a steady supplement to my pension beside it being a very engrossing hobby.

Have downloaded the FXCM Java platform to replace the normal one (on FXCM advice) and it seems to have eliminated the problem.

• 8 months later...

No problems with fxcm here jesimps (Hua Hin) as of 1/5/09

I have an a/c with fxcm for almost 5 years. I visited their new york office 6 years ago, seemed to me a company owned by jewis. Anyway, the trading platform always have problems.....when you email/call/write to them, they would usually tell you very nicely (ask you to do a ping test and send them a report, reinstall latest software, your ISP problem, network issues, could also be your PC hardware problems, might also be OS issue, such as different language version/locale.......all kind of excuses.....)

I think we need someone from Germany to tell them that their platform really have problems, otherwise it might take them another 70 years to realize/correct their problems!