Time To Quit - Again

Neeranam

I started on the odd puff of a cigar then, of course, it led to back on the fags.

I've cut down a bit but a night I just can't quit.

I can last until 9pm then have very strong cravings.

Any suggestions?

Very similar symptoms - I quite about 3 months ago, vowed never to smoke again. Went out for a beer Thursday night, couldn't help it, had to have a cigar, followed a bit later by a packet of fags. Smoked the whole lot in 1 night, virtually chain smoked. Never wanted one before or since - now I'm scared to go out for a beer as I feel it will start me off again...

Stopping is easy! :D

You just have to want to stop! neither of you wanted to stop! :D

For me I just spent the money I would have spent of cigs on a new motorcyle. I found it very easy. Even after 3 packs a B&H a day for 20 odd years.

Since the day I stoppedI have never had the urge to have another cig again. I know I will never have another one no matter what. As said you just have to REALLY want to stop.

Good luck when you decide you do really want to stop :)

Very similar symptoms - I quite about 3 months ago, vowed never to smoke again. Went out for a beer Thursday night, couldn't help it, had to have a cigar, followed a bit later by a packet of fags. Smoked the whole lot in 1 night, virtually chain smoked. Never wanted one before or since - now I'm scared to go out for a beer as I feel it will start me off again...

I had the same problem.......no cigs in the week......beer night Friday whole packet (and a gallon) Sat and Sunday too rough to want a cig!!! Went on for about 12 weeks.....I really wanted to stop the cigs, I now knew all I had to do was not smoke on Friday. One Friday night I managed it.......10 years ago.......

Disgree with H2O though - even now my memory of enjoying a cig clicks in occasionally reminded by the aroma of a passing cig - although I will never start again.... as in a confined space I find the smell intolerable.

I do wish that people would stop saying it is easy. Just because it is easy for you does not mean that it will be for everybody else.

I had my last cigarette 3 weeks ago and am still suffering. It is not a problem with the cravings, indeed that has been the least of my problems. A single cigarette contains over 4,000 different chemicals which play havoc with the system, when the source is stopped then again all hel_l can break lose within the body systems. For examples dopamine and blood sugar levels can become very unbalanced causing depression, mood swings and intense irritability. It is not just a psychological thing but also physical. I have also been quite Ill in other ways such as throwing up almost on a daily basis and on a few occasions I have even vomited blood, this is quite normal for many quitters.

If you did not suffer these symptoms then good for you as you really are very fortunate. But to simply say that it is easy whilst disregarding the many medically recognised withdrawal symptoms is quite belittling to those of us who do suffer, and it certainly is not constructive.

Hello, it is a lifestyle change that helped me to quit after 30+ years of smoking. I used the Commit lozenges for a few weeks for the physical addiction, and I had to convince myself by saying out loud that I was a non-smoker about 100 times a day especially when the urge came to smoke. I still have dreams of smoking in my sleep, and this is after many years of being a non-smoker. You will need to do what you have to do to quit as I took a week off of work to stay inside my house alone because I did not want to do any harm to my coworkers, and you must learn how to do things in your life without smoking like waking up and maybe not getting drunk for a long time would be good as it is more easy to fall from grace to our temptations. The non-smoking does get a little more easy through the years, and you will feel much better in a physical and mental way as time goes on. Good luck to you, and keep trying because smoking will not lead to good things.

Cheers

I am non-smoker from 22nd of March this year after 15 years intensive smoking.I just stop one day.Didn't use any plasters, stickers, gums, needles.I can suggest..wait until you are ready, you really want to quit.I prepared myself 2 years (mentaly), I was even depressed about my smoking.Sounds funny but I was very impressed watching Ophra's show about smokers, this really worked on me:)

Sounds funny but I was very impressed watching Ophra's show about smokers, this really worked on me:)

Everyone has their own muse. :)

I quit about 15 months ago. I had some great times with cigs and I believe they have some real health benefit too, but the disadvantages start weighing in on me after 20 years or so, and I felt like I'd just had enough anyway. So it was the pain of blocked sinus and nasal problems, and simply having my fill that made me quit, and I was surprised how easy it was this time and now I can't believe I used to smoke.

Moreover for the first time, the benefits of smoking became apparent, I became healthier, and could do so much more fitness work.

It sounds like you have the will power, but the greater part of you has to want to give up and it also helps to have a positive aim.

Maybe you don't need to give up yet! If I could have held the habit to 3 a day I wouldn't have in all honesty.

Packed in 18 months ago. Not a single cigarette passed my lips in all that time.

Till last month.

Now i am smoking again and finding it difficult to get the right midset to pack in.

People are right. You need to have something making you WANT to pack in. I know once my wife arrives from overseas i will find it so much easier to cease again as i prefer NOT to sleep in the box room at nighttime. :)

Packed in 18 months ago. Not a single cigarette passed my lips in all that time.

Till last month.

Now i am smoking again and finding it difficult to get the right midset to pack in.

People are right. You need to have something making you WANT to pack in. I know once my wife arrives from overseas i will find it so much easier to cease again as i prefer NOT to sleep in the box room at nighttime. :)

Good try though, and it's not unusual to need 2,3, or 4 attempts. Can't you transfer the addiction elsewhere,eg, beer! or just mints!, that helped me for sure!

Hypnosis was the way that finally helped me once and for all. I tried to quit smoking many, many times and at some points I just didn’t like myself for not being able to control my tricky mind. When I heard about hypnosis I said to myself “Okay, one more time. If it works, fine, I will not smoke. If it doesn’t, I will smoke and not bother with quitting anymore.” Lucky for me it worked, and it was a struggle- free way. But same as with any other methods – you need to want to quit.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I do wish that people would stop saying it is easy. Just because it is easy for you does not mean that it will be for everybody else.

I had my last cigarette 3 weeks ago and am still suffering. It is not a problem with the cravings, indeed that has been the least of my problems. A single cigarette contains over 4,000 different chemicals which play havoc with the system, when the source is stopped then again all hel_l can break lose within the body systems. For examples dopamine and blood sugar levels can become very unbalanced causing depression, mood swings and intense irritability. It is not just a psychological thing but also physical. I have also been quite Ill in other ways such as throwing up almost on a daily basis and on a few occasions I have even vomited blood, this is quite normal for many quitters.

If you did not suffer these symptoms then good for you as you really are very fortunate. But to simply say that it is easy whilst disregarding the many medically recognised withdrawal symptoms is quite belittling to those of us who do suffer, and it certainly is not constructive.

Moonraker, in fact you are giving me 101 excuses why you do not want to stop.

Really, in fact it is simple, a mindset.

I want to stop, I have to stop.

Don't try to find excuses like the ones above.

Did I smoke?

Oh yes, 40+ handrolled per day, strong black tobacco.

From about 1962 till 1982.

Stopped for a year, started again for maybe half a year.

Stopped again with the idea that I was weak, and I really don't want to be a weakling.

Never smoked again.

Simple, really!

It really is a mindset.

Did I have symptoms, oh yes for nearly 2 days.

Felt very bad indeed, but I just told myself, if you want to stop this is the price.

Medically recognised symptoms, yes, set those aside, and don't try to accept them for quitting.

You have to do it all by yourself, really.

Now you will say....easy for him to tell and so on.

There you go again......excuses!

Just stop!

Did I smoke?

Stopped again with the idea that I was weak, and I really don't want to be a weakling.

Never smoked again.

Simple, really!

It really is a mindset.

Felt very bad indeed, but I just told myself, if you want to stop this is the price.

Medically recognised symptoms, yes, set those aside, and don't try to accept them for quitting.

Just stop!

Read again the part where I stated that I have quit, as in I no longer smoke. Then think again about how I have been 'making excuses'.

Did I smoke?

Never smoked again.

Simple, really!

It really is a mindset.

Just stop!

Read again the part where I stated that I have quit, as in I no longer smoke. Then think again about how I have been 'making excuses'.

3 months today after 35 years. But i figured I could fund an annual trip to SEA with the money. If I could give up the piss I could fund 3 trips.It is hard but I wnat to add 5 years or so to my retirement.