Realistic Cost Of Living In Issan

booboo07

Was hoping that some of you living around the Udon Thani area could give me an idea of what it takes each month/$, to live a decent life there. I am in my late 50's and single. Have never been one to live beyond my needs, but at the same time as i get older, want to be comfortable. I lived there for 3 years back in the early 70's, got married there (now divorced) and kids were born there. Have visited a few times and am hoping to make the big move back in early 2010.

Also, I am curious to know if any expats are living south of Udon in the Non Sung Area. Thank you.

You'd have to tell a bit more about what you think of as a decent life.

If you've spent some time visiting you should be able to work it out yourself really.

If I was living alone, I could probably manage very well on 30,000 baht/month

Living in a village North of Khon Kaen with my gf and 2 kids, we can live quite well on 20,000, but there's always something new to buy etc etc.

Approximate monthly wag (for two)

150 City water

250 Drinking water

400 Domestic telephone

1,500 Minor house upkeep/maintenance

1,600 Monthly share of annual car insurance/road tax

1,800 UBC satellite TV (cable is ~350 if available)

2,500 Electric

2,500 Gasoline for car, periodic maintenance

15,000 Food

15,000 Entertainment

---------

~40K

also

rent, if any (5,000 - 7,000)

car payment, if any(?)

tours and travel

clothing (wife's handbags/shoes $$$$)

charity/bribes/neighbor's loans

Edited by Texpat

If you don't have to pay rent or make car payments, I think 30k a month is a bit more than you need- I'm a graduate student in the US and the living expenses federal loans hand out to us are really way more than most of us need, they average out to about 35k or US$1,000 a month. With that amount I'm able to save up and go to Asia a few times a year and have comfortable road trips in the US. Granted, I can't buy nice clothes or eat that well, but those are comforts that are pretty easy to refrain from. I think the key to saving money is not whether you have comforts in life but just how frequently you use them- think about it, if you just lay low for a few weekends and hang around the house, then all of a sudden you got 20k to spend on a trip. You don't need to fly to BKK every week or go to restaurants every night.

I give my Thai wife 25,000 per month. She pays everything other than big ticket items and insurance. She manages to save about 5,000 baht per month out of that for her bank account. We pay no rent. She also buys what clothes I need, but that isn't much. :)

150 City water

250 Drinking water

400 Domestic telephone

2,500 Electric

15,000 Food

15,000 Entertainment

---------

~40K

also

car payment, if any(?)

tours and travel

15.000 on food each month!? I would a bit in the high end. Must include expensive (farang) restaurants.

I would say buying finished meal is average 50 > 3 times a day > 30 days a month > 4.500 baht a month.

And Entertainment also looks very high. Not saying it can'tbe right, but what would that include?

150 City water

250 Drinking water

400 Domestic telephone

2,500 Electric

15,000 Food

15,000 Entertainment

---------

~40K

also

car payment, if any(?)

tours and travel

15.000 on food each month!? I would a bit in the high end. Must include expensive (farang) restaurants.

I would say buying finished meal is average 50 > 3 times a day > 30 days a month > 4.500 baht a month.

And Entertainment also looks very high. Not saying it can'tbe right, but what would that include?

Probably best not too ask.

I think one of the most important expenses has been left off the above lists....ie..private health care/expat medical cover. Thai hospitals are not the best unless you are paying privately and we all get sick sometime.

Edited by jay-uk

Some people live on the ragged edge and others the luxury end. Don't forget about health insurance if you want to be safe. A good policy will cost 30,000 baht or more per year. Do you want first class car insurance or 3rd class. Do you get regular medical check-ups or go to the doctor only when you are sick. It just depends on how YOU want to live. I play golf 2 or 3 times a week, go out to eat with the wife 2 or 3 times a week, buy expensive expat foods at the Mall (in Korat), have health insurance, own my own home and car and spend around 50,000 baht/month. Each to his own.

Edited by Rdrokit

Some people live on the ragged edge and others the luxury end. Don't forget about health insurance if you want to be safe. A good policy will cost 30,000 baht or more per year. Do you want first class car insurance or 3rd class. Do you get regular medical check-ups or go to the doctor only when you are sick. It just depends on how YOU want to live. I play golf 2 or 3 times a week, go out to eat with the wife 2 or 3 times a week, buy expensive expat foods at the Mall (in Korat), have health insurance, own my own home and car and spend around 50,000 baht/month. Each to his own.

Do you play golf near Korat ? Where exactly? How is it ?

Anything south of Korat, general direction of Pak Thong Chai / WNK ?

I give my Thai wife 25,000 per month. She pays everything other than big ticket items and insurance. She manages to save about 5,000 baht per month out of that for her bank account. We pay no rent. She also buys what clothes I need, but that isn't much. :)

ORRHHH...thats so sweet :D

You'd have to tell a bit more about what you think of as a decent life.

If you've spent some time visiting you should be able to work it out yourself really.

If I was living alone, I could probably manage very well on 30,000 baht/month

Living in a village North of Khon Kaen with my gf and 2 kids, we can live quite well on 20,000, but there's always something new to buy etc etc.

Now I'm married can get away with 30k/month, the single life was FAR more expensive :D:) Happy days...!!

No way would ever consider paying 15k each for food/entertainment, caviar and just how many mia noi's??

I've a few mates here who live very well indeed on 40k/month, I need to make choices every now and again, but hardly a burden, more getting out of parties you really don't want to attend anyway!!

As Loong said, always something new to buy/replace/repair, keep a decent reserve in the bank and no worries, can always save some next month :D or usually not :D

150 City water

250 Drinking water

400 Domestic telephone

2,500 Electric

15,000 Food

15,000 Entertainment

---------

~40K

also

car payment, if any(?)

tours and travel

clothing (wife's handbags/shoes $$)

You rich b£$£$d!

Yes agree. Monthly mine are,

Water (city water) 70 Baht (I drink it, it's yet to kill me)

Electric 700 Baht (Kids, if you're not watching it turn the f'ing TV off!)

Gas (bottled) 200 Baht

Sewerage (vacuum tanker for cess pit) 150 Baht

Internet (216 kbps bamboo supported, geriatric buffalo powered) 999 Baht

Food for 3, 4000 Baht basic, double that 8000 Baht

Diesel for pick up 1500 Baht

Lau Kao for moped 300 Baht

Private school fees for year 5500 Baht

UBC - What do you think I'm rich or something?

Entertainment - Well I might buy a new spade for the garden - 150 Baht

Council tax - ZERO!

Family welfare - UP TUO YOUW!!!

Cigs 50 Baht pack x 2 per day = 100 Baht x 30 = 3000 Baht

PM me. I've done a massive spreadsheet for this. It'll help.

Gas (bottled) 200 Baht

Council tax - ZERO!

That looks about 20K per month. I don't think I could manage on that. And you'll need the health insurance if your smoking 2 packs of fags a day !

I like to have a smallish AC unit in the bedroom plus a bigger one in the living room for occasional use, plus you'll need to factor in depreciation on the pick-up if you ever want to buy a bigger one.

And do you never fancy a beer ? and a trip up to Korat / Surin / Bangkok would be nice once in a while.

Gas (bottled) 200 Baht

Council tax - ZERO!

That looks about 20K per month. I don't think I could manage on that. And you'll need the health insurance if your smoking 2 packs of fags a day !

I like to have a smallish AC unit in the bedroom plus a bigger one in the living room for occasional use, plus you'll need to factor in depreciation on the pick-up if you ever want to buy a bigger one.

And do you never fancy a beer ? and a trip up to Korat / Surin / Bangkok would be nice once in a while.

Cut beer out best I can. Any spare goes on finishing the house right now. Work's looking flimsy for the future unless I go to Porto in a month or so.

Recalc'd it. 30k a month.

See spreadsheet attached.

Household_budget_spreadsheets.pdf

Good info folks...thanks for sharing and your comments make me feel better that I can make it on the 'retirement' I'm gonna get to in 2-4 years.

A few questions for any American ex-pats (or others if you wish to chime in):

Looking at houses for sale in Udon Thani, I get the idea of what I think of as 'normal' is not all that normal in Thailand. e.g. kitchens seldom are shown with ranges/ovens and bathrooms are seldom shown with tubs, let alone jacuzzi tubs (my wife's only real request). Is that the case, or is it just that there is something 'lost in translation' on the web pages I visit? I am neither rich nor live a luxurious lifestyle, but I think A/C is a must, and hot water is NOT a luxury, either in the bathroom or in the kitchen sink! I also do not consider running water and toilets luxuries. Maybe a silly question, but being raised on a farm I know even here it is not ALWAYS a given, but do most houses hook into a sewer system or septic tank?

What are the basic rules for buying a house as a farang with a Thai wife? Does she own the property, being Thai, and you cannot legally own it? Are bank rates for short term (10-15 year) real estate loans decent in Thailand if you have funds to back up the loan in your account? Are bank loans even available to farangs in Thailand? Since I've never lived in Thailand for extended periods and have only visited for holidays, please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. But hel_l, it IS a totally different world than Dallas, TX and Udon Thani is different from a luxury hotel in Phuket. :-D

I *THINK* I need 800k in the bank for the 'retirement' visa that basically has to be left alone, and 400k and 40k income if married to a Thai national? (I get really confused reading all the info about visas in Thailand...so anyone who wishes feel free to enlighten me) If you were giving advice (which I ask for freely), what would you tell fellow American's who were going to move to Thailand? What will be the major areas that you think all American's would have the hardest time adjusting to? I am pretty social, get along well with the Thai people I have met (mostly my wife's friends and family), and respect other peoples ideas and culture.

Yes, I know I ask a lot of questions...and I actually do read a lot of the threads on ThaiVisa, so if you roll your eyes and think 'not again', please feel free to not answer. ;-) I would appreciate any and all comments though.

Best Regards,

Good info folks...thanks for sharing and your comments make me feel better that I can make it on the 'retirement' I'm gonna get to in 2-4 years.

Sorry not an American, Im a Brit but I will try to answer what I can...

Looking at houses for sale in Udon Thani, I get the idea of what I think of as 'normal' is not all that normal in Thailand. e.g. kitchens seldom are shown with ranges/ovens and bathrooms are seldom shown with tubs, let alone jacuzzi tubs (my wife's only real request). Is that the case, or is it just that there is something 'lost in translation' on the web pages I visit? You are correct, as cooking and eating is done on the floor outside I am neither rich nor live a luxurious lifestyle, but I think A/C is a must,correct and hot water is NOT a luxury, either in the bathroom or in the kitchen sink! Not so sure,it gets bloody hot here I also do not consider running water and toilets luxuries. Maybe a silly question, but being raised on a farm I know even here it is not ALWAYS a given, but do most houses hook into a sewer system or septic tank? I have seen NO sewer systems in Isaan and septic tanks(HoHo!) are the norm with trucks prowling the streets to empty them for you

What are the basic rules for buying a house as a farang with a Thai wife? Does she own the property, being Thai, and you cannot legally own it? Thai's or Thai companies can own LAND.Properties can be leased to foriegners

Are bank rates for short term (10-15 year) real estate loans decent in Thailand if you have funds to back up the loan in your account? Are bank loans even available to farangs in Thailand? Since I've never lived in Thailand for extended periods and have only visited for holidays, please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. But hel_l, it IS a totally different world than Dallas, TX CORRECTand Udon Thani is different from a luxury hotel in Phuket. :-D

I *THINK* I need 800k in the bank for the 'retirement' visa that basically has to be left alone, and 400k and 40k income if married to a Thai national? (I get really confused reading all the info about visas in Thailand...so anyone who wishes feel free to enlighten me) If you were giving advice (which I ask for freely), what would you tell fellow American's who were going to move to Thailand? IF you have the money, An extention due to Retirement is easier for expat AND Immigration What will be the major areas that you think all American's would have the hardest time adjusting to? I am pretty social, get along well with the Thai people I have met (mostly my wife's friends and family), and respect other peoples ideas and culture.

Yes, I know I ask a lot of questions...and I actually do read a lot of the threads on ThaiVisa, so if you roll your eyes and think 'not again', please feel free to not answer. ;-) I would appreciate any and all comments though.

Good Luck

Dave

KB Texas,

As you cannot own land in Thailand, you will not be able to get a loan. Obviously, banks will not advance a loan to you, if the property is going to be in your wife's name.

I have heard of some people actually making monthly payments to the developer, instead of getting a bank loan, in some Farang villages. I don't know any details though - maybe something you can look into.

You may be able to arrange with the seller for a 30 year lease and the seller retains the freehold. If you go this route, make sure that there is a clause that enables you to buy the freehold for a set sum if the law ever changes. Also double check the lease, even if it means employing a second lawyer.

I *THINK* I need 800k in the bank for the 'retirement' visa that basically has to be left alone, and 400k and 40k income if married to a Thai national? (I get really confused reading all the info about visas in Thailand...so anyone who wishes feel free to enlighten me) If you were giving advice (which I ask for freely)

If you can manage the 800,000, it's the easiest way. It doesn't have to be left alone, just has to be topped up to 800K 3 months before you renew your year extension. Obviously you will need more than 800K as you will have 3 months expenses. Some people who have left the 800K untouched for a year have been regarded with suspicion and asked for proof of where their spending money has come from.

Edited by loong

Looking at houses for sale in Udon Thani, I get the idea of what I think of as 'normal' is not all that normal in Thailand. e.g. kitchens seldom are shown with ranges/ovens and bathrooms are seldom shown with tubs, let alone jacuzzi tubs (my wife's only real request). Is that the case, or is it just that there is something 'lost in translation' on the web pages I visit? I am neither rich nor live a luxurious lifestyle, but I think A/C is a must, and hot water is NOT a luxury, either in the bathroom or in the kitchen sink! I also do not consider running water and toilets luxuries. Maybe a silly question, but being raised on a farm I know even here it is not ALWAYS a given, but do most houses hook into a sewer system or septic tank?

What are the basic rules for buying a house as a farang with a Thai wife? Does she own the property, being Thai, and you cannot legally own it? Are bank rates for short term (10-15 year) real estate loans decent in Thailand if you have funds to back up the loan in your account? Are bank loans even available to farangs in Thailand? Since I've never lived in Thailand for extended periods and have only visited for holidays, please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. But hel_l, it IS a totally different world than Dallas, TX and Udon Thani is different from a luxury hotel in Phuket. :-D

I *THINK* I need 800k in the bank for the 'retirement' visa that basically has to be left alone, and 400k and 40k income if married to a Thai national? (I get really confused reading all the info about visas in Thailand...so anyone who wishes feel free to enlighten me) If you were giving advice (which I ask for freely), what would you tell fellow American's who were going to move to Thailand? What will be the major areas that you think all American's would have the hardest time adjusting to? I am pretty social, get along well with the Thai people I have met (mostly my wife's friends and family), and respect other peoples ideas and culture. If you are married to a Thai national,You do not need 400000 baht AND an income of 40K. You need either 40K per month income or 400000 baht in the bank. Or a combination of both i.e lets say you have 30000 baht per month income...you just multiply it by 12 and deduct it from the 400000 baht...this leaves 40,000 baht to be kept in your bank, which must be there 3 months before you reapply for your yearly marriage extension of stay visa. Just multiply any monthly income you have by 12 and deduct from the 400000 baht figure. Hope that helps. Dan

Best Regards,

I *THINK* I need 800k in the bank for the 'retirement' visa that basically has to be left alone, and 400k and 40k income if married to a Thai national? (I get really confused reading all the info about visas in Thailand...so anyone who wishes feel free to enlighten me) If you were giving advice (which I ask for freely), what would you tell fellow American's who were going to move to Thailand? What will be the major areas that you think all American's would have the hardest time adjusting to? I am pretty social, get along well with the Thai people I have met (mostly my wife's friends and family), and respect other peoples ideas and culture. If you are married to a Thai national,You do not need 400000 baht AND an income of 40K. You need either 40K per month income or 400000 baht in the bank. Or a combination of both i.e lets say you have 30000 baht per month income...you just multiply it by 12 and deduct it from the 400000 baht...this leaves 40,000 baht to be kept in your bank, which must be there 3 months before you reapply for your yearly marriage extension of stay visa. Just multiply any monthly income you have by 12 and deduct from the 400000 baht figure. Hope that helps. Dan

Best Regards,

In the marriage extension process the "combination of both" option is no longer available, the rules state that the deposit needs to be in the bank for 2 months (although I hear that some offices still require 3).

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the replies. It has cleared up some of the confusion, especially on the retirement vs marriage visa thing. :-)

So, another silly question...I love and trust my wife a lot, but if your wife owns the house 100%, does anything protect you from being tossed out if she gets angry?

Best Regards,

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the replies. It has cleared up some of the confusion, especially on the retirement vs marriage visa thing. :-)

So, another silly question...I love and trust my wife a lot, but if your wife owns the house 100%, does anything protect you from being tossed out if she gets angry?

Best Regards,

Hi KBTexas,

I'm pretty sure this topic is well covered elsewhere on this forum. Perhaps the property section. Good luck.