Realistic Cost Of Living In Issan

booboo07

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the replies. It has cleared up some of the confusion, especially on the retirement vs marriage visa thing. :-)

So, another silly question...I love and trust my wife a lot, but if your wife owns the house 100%, does anything protect you from being tossed out if she gets angry?

Best Regards,

If you need help with the visa issue do a post in the Thai visas forum. I only saw a mention of the bank deposits there is also the option of income proved by a letter from the embassy. 40K for marriage and 65K for retirement.

She can't toss you out if you are legally married. By Thai law it is all 50/50 and it has to be settled before the divorce is final by mutual agreement. That means the house/property has to be sold for you to get your part or the wife has to give you the money for your part.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the replies. It has cleared up some of the confusion, especially on the retirement vs marriage visa thing. :-)

So, another silly question...I love and trust my wife a lot, but if your wife owns the house 100%, does anything protect you from being tossed out if she gets angry?

Best Regards,

We bought a house in 2000 (not upcountry though), and we went to a lawyer, had a document drawn up to the effect that if she died, I was the beneficiary of the house in which case then the house would then need to be sold. As to what protection you or I would have if we were tossed out, no idea really, unless a document was drawn up and signed by all to the effect of a death and/or a split up. Sort of like a pre-nup after the effect, and then there comes the matter of trust after a document like this is drawn up?!?! I've been married to the wife for 9 years, been with her for 18 years, and we have never had any kind of disagreements that would have led to a "tossing out", although we did survive a dark spell. Don't know if it would help if you had a "yellow book" which has you registered to the house, maybe this might be a form of protection. Generally though, I would think she would run off to her family home and hang out there if there was a spat, leaving you to the house until things cooled off, maybe. You never know how dark a heart may emerge if things turn sour.

Hi folks,

Best Regards,

We bought a house in 2000 (not upcountry though), and we went to a lawyer, had a document drawn up to the effect that if she died, I was the beneficiary of the house in which case then the house would then need to be sold. As to what protection you or I would have if we were tossed out, no idea really, unless a document was drawn up and signed by all to the effect of a death and/or a split up. Sort of like a pre-nup after the effect, and then there comes the matter of trust after a document like this is drawn up?!?! I've been married to the wife for 9 years, been with her for 18 years, and we have never had any kind of disagreements that would have led to a "tossing out", although we did survive a dark spell. Don't know if it would help if you had a "yellow book" which has you registered to the house, maybe this might be a form of protection. Generally though, I would think she would run off to her family home and hang out there if there was a spat, leaving you to the house until things cooled off, maybe. You never know how dark a heart may emerge if things turn sour.

I see ubonjoe provided a much better answer to this, which I did not know.

Thanks for the answers guys. I do appreciate your taking the time to provide them.

I am not too worried about my wife as we do get along well...but there is a cultural difference and ya never quite know what time will bring, so I figured I might as well ask. Good, clear information that is useful. ;-)

Best Regards,