Vacuum Sealed Indian Food

kurnell

I used to buy vacuum sealed Indian food (vegetarian) from the Indian mini mart near Sukhumvit soi 12. It tasted authentic, was reasonably priced and had a lengthy use by date. I think that I was the only one buying it as the last time I went there, all their stock was out of date.

Has anyone seen this anywhere else?

I live in Bangkapi now so my options for Indian food are limited. Unless, that is, someone knows of an Indian restaurant in Bangkapi??

I've never had any luck finding the ready-to-eat vacuum-sealed packs of Indian food in Thailand (which is not to say that nobody stocks them). I usually load up when I am in either Malaysia or India.

I've never had any luck finding the ready-to-eat vacuum-sealed packs of Indian food in Thailand (which is not to say that nobody stocks them). I usually load up when I am in either Malaysia or India.

They were definately here when I lived in soi 10, 2 years ago, in 2 Indian shops.

I also found frozen, stuffed/plain roti from Malaysia at Jusco Sri Nakarin. Peel 'em off and fry them. Dead easy.

I buy the MTR brand pacs - very nice. About thirty different dishes - make sure you try the Khadi Pakora! MTR is the only ISO9001/2000 certified producer of this type of food. All nature ingredients with no colours or. preservatives added

There is an Indian area south of Charoenkrung Rd. (south of Old Siam Center and the Royal Theater

Bismala Trading, 330 Chak Pet (Chakrapeth) Rd. is the shop I get them.

Going south it is just about the last Indian shop on the left (east side).

The boss's name is Suresh Pandey - nice guy and good English. I ordered 200 packs the last time, and he shipped them to me in Chiang Mai (very little acceptable Indian cuisine here). Just transferred the money to his account and he sent me the food! Done it a few times! He has a lot in stock, and can order more as you like.

Shop phone: 02 623 7510 Suresh's cel: 089 144 8610

Tell him Mark from Chiang Mai says 'hi', and will order another 200 in September!!! I like this stuff, I must say. I understand that the Indian Army uses these as rations - lucky army!

I often freshen them with a little lemon and minced onion. Or sometimes I fry up some onions and ginger and pour the curry into that and heat it that way.

---

Now comes the review!

I have tried most of the different varieties and some are very good to excellent, and some are kinda crappy.

For example, the Bhindi Masala (okra) is really pretty disgusting. Thick, sticky, and just gross (okra is not so good in theses packs, methinks).

But the Palak Paneer, Chana Masala, Dal Makhani, Pav (Pau?) Bhaji, and Kadhi Pakora (yoghurt curry with fritters) are all excellent. And all have distinct flavours - not just the same curry with different ingredients.

The Mixed Veg Curry, Navratam Korma, Dal Fry, Pea and Mushroom Curry , and Muttar Paneer all are very good (but the peas are a little hard).

The Rajma Masala (kidney beans) is almost Mexican in taste, and I often serve it with Taco beef and Mexican salsa.

The Alu Methi (potatos with fresh fenugreek leaves) would have been great, except the texture of the potatos is a little hard and rubbery. So only a VG rating for that one!

All the creamy paneers dishes are VG, although the paneer is sometimes a little chewy. Shahi Paneer, Paneer Tikka Masala (oniony), Butter Paneer, and Paneer Makhani are all good and rich.

The Rasam Rice has a real south Indian taste.

Hope you find what you are looking for! Cheers, Mark