Prem International School

gallowayscot

Long time lurker makes first post. Please be gentle Chiang Mai regulars.

My wife and I are in the planning stages of a permanent move to Chiang Mai. With two kids approaching school age, choice of school is obviously a major factor for us. We have researched all of the international schools online, but would very much welcome some local knowledge from those already there.

It seems that Prem is the best school in CM? Their fees are roughly double those of the other schools. Is this price differential explained by Prem providing a much higher standard of education? Putting our kids in Prem would stretch our budget considerably, but it is do-able. Although we want to give our kids the best we can, we also want to be sure that the value for money equation checks out also.

As this is a long-term move, we want to get off on the right foot, and ideally place the kids where they can stay for the whole of their schooling. Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received.

This is a difficult one.... the most expensive does not automatically mean the best. I think prior to making any decision, you should visit as many schools as possible and 'sit in' on classes to ascertain if the school suits your particular child and their learning style.

When I came to Chiang Mai four years ago I visited CMIS, Grace, APIS and Prem. I have to admit that Prem in my opinion was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of curriculum, facilities and non-religious persuasion.... hence for us it was the only choice. We feel we made the right decision by sending her there as my daughter has never been happier :-)

Good luck in your decision.

YL

Prem has a very good reputation. It hires its teachers abroad and not locally. They are well qualified and experienced. This school would be my first choice but for its cost and distance from CM city. CMIS is a good alternative in my opinion.

This is a difficult one.... the most expensive does not automatically mean the best. I think prior to making any decision, you should visit as many schools as possible and 'sit in' on classes to ascertain if the school suits your particular child and their learning style.

When I came to Chiang Mai four years ago I visited CMIS, Grace, APIS and Prem. I have to admit that Prem in my opinion was head and shoulders above the rest in terms of curriculum, facilities and non-religious persuasion.... hence for us it was the only choice. We feel we made the right decision by sending her there as my daughter has never been happier :-)

YL

hi there, our son will start prem. in august which is the beginning of the new school year, moving from phuket, at least you've got a choice of 6 international schools, we visited the school on two occasions, and a friend of mine, boy goes to prem, told me he's done wonders since being there.

some people claim that its not just the best school in chiangmai, but the best in thailand, and se asia, for a school whos fees are double most of the others, they certainly have to prove that they are top class, otherwise i think they may very well have been sussed by now.

anyway if it didnt work out , there still a good choice, as back up.

Edited by doppa

YL

hi there, our son will start prem. in august which is the beginning of the new school year, moving from phuket, at least you've got a choice of 6 international schools, we visited the school on two occasions, and a friend of mine, boy goes to prem, told me he's done wonders since being there.

some people claim that its not just the best school in chiangmai, but the best in thailand, and se asia, for a school whos fees are double most of the others, they certainly have to prove that they are top class, otherwise i think they may very well have been sussed by now.

anyway if it didnt work out , there still a good choice, as back up

Is school related to Prem T., the privy councilor?

If so, what will happen if he passes away given that he is into his 80's and has no children or well known relatives?

In Thailand, when the head goes the organization whether it be a restaurant or big business, often faults..and can deteriorate rapidly. Corruption becomes rampant when at all possible in this country.

Check the backers and shareholders...nothing remains good all of the time, as the buddhist say.

If so, what will happen if he passes away given that he is into his 80's and has no children or well known relatives?

In Thailand, when the head goes the organization whether it be a restaurant or big business, often faults..and can deteriorate rapidly. Corruption becomes rampant when at all possible in this country.

Check the backers and shareholders...nothing remains good all of the time, as the buddhist say.

good point, but im sure they have it covered, will check it out though, ta

One thing worth pointing out is that Prem is the only school around Chiang Mai where the students get an International Baccalaureate. This is a great help if you aspire to further studies at university abroad.

/ Priceless

My advice is to use the search function on the forum and read through some earlier posts on this question. Don't expect any conclusions, since it's a perennial debate and ultimately a matter of personal preference. But at least the earlier topics will outline for you the pros and cons of Prem an the other schools as others see them, for whatever that is worth. Good luck!

Prem is an IB school but CMIS has an equally prestigious AP program. CMIS has much better teachers, my wife and mom both work there. Prem has a nicer facility hands down, but the price is so much higher and the education is not so much better, equal to CMIS. I think you may have a more difficult time getting accepted at CMIS though because it is the most sought after international school in Chiang Mai. The college entry percentage is and always has been 100%, no other school here can claim that. I hope I didn't just jinx them. If your budget is a concern, CMIS is your choice, not Prem.

No, the school is not owned by General Prem, nor does he have any role other than honorary.

One thing worth pointing out is that Prem is the only school around Chiang Mai where the students get an International Baccalaureate. This is a great help if you aspire to further studies at university abroad.

/ Priceless

Agree. The IB diploma is recognized internationally. Perhaps more importantly, is the difference in IB teaching methods and curriculum over a number of years, not just the diploma years just prior to university.

AP (Advanced Placement) courses are offered elsewhere (such as at CMIS). Performance in AP courses is a good indicator of how "challenged" a student has been, but one should ask about the scores. AP courses are not broadly recognized outside of the USA.

You can find out a lot on both IB and AP by googling. More than you really want to know, probably!

My son is getting close to school age as well. CMIS and Prem are really the only choices that we'd consider. The IB system at Prem is very appealing and would probably be our first choice if funds would permit. CMIS is a good alternate as well.

My personal opinion is that PREM is a lot more international in student body and "feel." As CMIS claims, it is based on an American curriculum which is great for those from the US (and less so for those from other countries). Either way, both are great (and the only) choices for most expat families in Chiang Mai.

I have been very impressed by Varee and all the students I have met from there. The two children aged 10 and 12 next door speak ecellent English, seem well educated and are 100% Thai and learnt all their English at Varee.

It is also pretty much in Chiang Mai with excellent travel access.

Would Varee not be worth considering?

Iain

Edited by iainiain101

From what I've heard, Varee's teachers are not necessarily accredited in their home countries. Salaries are also considerably lower which means that the pool of quality teachers to choose from would be limited. (The same goes for schools like Grace where teachers must fundraise their own salaries and aren't necessarily accredited).

My son is getting close to school age as well. CMIS and Prem are really the only choices that we'd consider. The IB system at Prem is very appealing and would probably be our first choice if funds would permit. CMIS is a good alternate as well.

My personal opinion is that PREM is a lot more international in student body and "feel." As CMIS claims, it is based on an American curriculum which is great for those from the US (and less so for those from other countries). Either way, both are great (and the only) choices for most expat families in Chiang Mai.

Both curricula will do fine in a number of countries. But I think you give short shrift to Lanna, NIS and APIS, which schools are trying hard to improve. English curriculum at Lanna that is expanding at upper level.

For those for whom it is important, both CMIS and Grace are church-related schools. This means different things at different levels of instruction and in the general approach toward religion. You need to talk to both schools carefully about this matter. Up to you.

I have been very impressed by Varee and all the students I have met from there. The two children aged 10 and 12 next door speak ecellent English, seem well educated and are 100% Thai and learnt all their English at Varee.

Iain

Yes, if you are happy with a bilingual curriculum which will be weak either in English or in Thai. Bilingual schools produce "hybrids" weak in the literature and language of one language or the other.

As well, yes, Varee does have some caring (and many, many uncertified farang teachers and a lovely physical plant), but the classes are very large and there are limited resources for children with special needs.

Bilingual schools are a "new" concept in town which probably won't be as successful educationally as one would wish.

In the end,it makes a huge difference what is done in the home regardless of the school!!

Edited by Mapguy

/ Priceless

Can get an IB, yes. Do get? About 60% actually do get a real IB, the rest get a "certificate" or diploma and many of those do not even take all the IB level courses.

Am I wrong in assuming that if your child goes to school here, or for arguments sake anywhere, if they, or you wish later to move school or country of school for higher education, be it high school or university, then they would normally sit an entrance exam in that country/school?

I moved countries and schools as a child, and allways had to sit entrance exams. Has this changed and I need to look at schools accreditations, or just try to make sure my child is as best educated as I can?

Iain

My daughter goes to Lanna. The school's British and follows a Cambridge curriculum which suits me being a Brit and it's fairly close to town on the Hang Don junction with Big C. They also have a very reliable and cost effective minibus pick up and drop off for the kids. Some don't. I just wish Lanna had better sports facilities.

The standard of education is very good and there's a very strong PTO at the school with many events throughout the year and parental involvement is quite keen and kids of all races mix together which is more than can be said for some schools. The lower/elementary school however is used by Koreans whose English isn't good enough to go to Grace (so classes are heavy on the Korean side) and who once more proficient often move on to Grace, their favoured Christian school.

I'm not religious and my daughter is bought up as a Buddhist by her Thai mum. Some schools are well know to be very Christian and that's fine if you want that. I've even heard parents at CMIS, which I didn't think was particularly religious mention that kids that are Christian are favoured over others that aren't. I've heard that from different sources, both teachers at the school and parents. However the school has an excellent reputation, there's no denying that.

The kids at Grace do very well at sport and Prem, which is a long way out of town has by far the best facilities of all but certainly knows how to charge! It reminds me of a British public school(in case you're not familiar that's an expensive (usually 1/2 boarding) rugby playing school.

Academicly( excuse spelling!), I don't think there's much between the schools, but choose carefully to suit your needs after checking them out as signing on fees etc are non refundable.

Last year Prem was doing a promotion, I forget the exact amount, something like 50% reduction for signing on fee( a saving of about 60K). Not sure if it's still applicable.

Regards Bojo

I forgot to mention, Prem is a boarding school as well, which means that parent involvement will be significantly less. CMIS is very firm about their parents being actively involved with the students. As for CMIS being a Christian school and that being negative is totally ignorant. The enrollment is over 80% buddhist. The school is under the moniker of Church of Christ Thailand, yes, but I object to the comments about favoritism.

CMIS. The college entry percentage is and always has been 100%, no other school here can claim that.

Prem has had good college entry results and excellent last year which I doubt CMIS came close to equalling.

I'd defo send the lad to Prem if I had the dosh. As well as the decent curriculum and facilities - computers, sports, music - it is also nicely located in the country way out of town.

Iain

Varee isn't an International School. It is a private Thai school with a bilingual programme and an 'official' English Programme (EP). Ajarn Varee is a very impressive woman who has built this school from scratch in just 5 years. It's EP is very successful but only goes up to pratom 5 I think. The matayom (secondary or grades 7-12) is less successful and often absorbs Prince Royal and Montfort students who don't pass their matayom 4 exam.

I believe having an IB would allow your child to skip the first year of a 4-year collage course as the credits are transferrable. So you save a year of collage. You might want to take that into consideration when you calculate the total cost of education.